69. The Chance to Rest
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

L watched the dwarf and mousekin leave, standing vigilant long after they had left her view. In part because she suspected treachery, but perhaps more importantly, because she was quietly contemplating her actions. After meeting the God of Honor in the in-between, her beliefs had been placed under a heavy strain. No, if she was honest, it was before that. When she met V? She shook her head, perhaps it was when she died and found that death was not as she had been taught. Appearing before a being claiming divinity, instead of the honored afterlife of those who serve faithfully. If their ideas of the afterlife were wrong, what else could be? Was anything she was taught in her old life real or meaningful? She looked down at her blade for a moment, at-least her training in the sword was real, she had evidence enough of that. L shook the thoughts from her mind, she had to get Eika back to the group. She was still unsure if they were safe or not. Returning to where Eika was laying, amid the two dead mousegirl bodies, L gently examined her. She had a few wounds but nothing serious. L picked her up, hefting Eika over one shoulder. It would not be the most comfortable of rides, but she needed her sword arm free, just in case this was not yet over.

By the time she returned to the middle of the "hospital," such as it was, Alice and V were standing over the bodies of the injured Champions, discussing something. T was nowhere to be seen, nor was the Alice double thing, she assumed they dealt with it in some manner. Luna was patting down the Crafting Champion, who was back to normal, clearly searching for where he hid his "Cool Silver Man," in her words. V nodded as L approached. "The fact that you are carrying Eika like a sack of potatoes means she is either dead or not in that bad of a condition." L placed Eika down on one of the now empty sheets, its previous occupant seemed to have been removed by golden spirits. As V knelt down to examine her, he spoke to L "Alice and I were discussing how likely another attack would be. As you can see, the... martial spirits have dissipated by now, Alice says that she will not be able to create another barrier, or enlist more of the warrior type spirits for at-least a day." V examined Eika's ears, they seemed to have returned to their normal shape and fluffiness. "With the Champion of Fire dead, and the dragon which we assume was another champion, also dead, Alice believes there are few threats left in the city. On top of that I have agreed to help her here for a few days or so. Between Alice, you and me in fighting condition, and her barrier, we doubt anyone would be willing to risk another confrontation. Besides, I personally do not think there can even be many champions left in this particular city."

L looked skeptically as V stuck his finger in Eika's mouth and pried it open, examining her teeth. "W... what are you doing? I would like to hope it's nothing indecent." V rolled his eyes as he explained "I’m looking at her teeth. Shortly before I lost sight of her, her ears and a few of her teeth changed. They seem to be back to normal though." Alice gestured toward the carnage that was this part of the city. "I have work to do, come find me when you are ready to help. It will be tiring." Alice walked off, to the part of the street that O had come from. She was no longer winged or burning, returning to her normal, but still imposing stature. V stopped Luna from accosting the Crafting Champion and moved their entire group closer to the front of the city gates, out of earshot of the wounded champions. "They might be unconscious but you never know." V proceeded to recount T's information to L. After fully recounting T's words, he thanked her for her assistance during the fight with his clone. At first L was confused, she had assumed V simply got lucky, but after learning of the status window and sudden "awareness" V gained, she nodded. "That is beneficial. I am curious as to what the extent of the title's ability is. It would seem clear it will allow me to give you my knowledge of battle, but I am unsure how complete that knowledge is. For example, at the time of your duel, the maneuvers you used to defeat your double... or clone as you call it, were the maneuvers I was most heavily observing his vulnerability to at the time. You and him left yourselves open in many ways, but by the sound of things, it was not as if you received the full knowledge I have of combat, more as if specific maneuvers were... almost... suggested to you. I suppose." V rubbed his face as he considered her side of the situation. "Seemingly there are limits on what you can provide me. Or perhaps we simply do not know how to take full advantage of the titles given to us by "my" blessing. We will have to work to determine them."

V then described to L how his blessing had felt somewhat under his control in regards to Eika's, apparently temporary, transformation. He also described his "adventure" during the Cursed Night. And how he apparently set up a kill order on the Champion of Violence. L nodded along with that part of the story, "I only vaguely remember the events nearing the end of that night. The longer I was under the effects of the curse, the more confused I became. I am nearly certain I killed two dozen city guard at the start of everything however. I had trouble sleeping that night, my dreams had... have been troublesome of late so I went for a second run. Somewhere in the middle is when the curse overcame me. However, I do somewhat remember a status message about an order to kill. Although I was addled enough by that point that I have no idea if it had any other effects beyond "a status message popped up." V nodded, that was reasonable enough. They stood in silence a few moments as Luna jumped around, chasing some form of flying bug.

"So, I was dead again then?" L suddenly spoke up, V looked at her with a confused face. "I... don't...?" L told V of her sudden appearance before the God of Honor, and then equally as sudden return to health. She also shared what she had heard of Luna's conversation with the Mad Champion. V called Luna over, "Luna, what sort of things did you and the Champion who came through the rubble of the house talk about?" Luna thought to herself a few moments "I'dunno, he thought L was dead but I told him no. He wanted to protect me but I mostly just wanted to get down out of his arms." Luna pleasantly recounted as she continued to watch the fluttering bug. L was silent another few moments as her and V shared a concerned look. "It troubles me how easy my life has been given and taken away from me of late, and that is not even the greatest of my worries." L carefully recounted her discussion with the God of Honor in the in between, leaving out the parts about the nature of honor and his warning about V. As she spoke V's face was one of deep concentration. "I had wondered how you fell asleep earlier. The answer makes enough sense, I guess. I suppose now you wish to go and search for this prison? Carry out the God of Honor's task before I get you killed in some way?" L slowly nodded "Perhaps. However, who is to say we are currently strong enough to break the bonds of whoever or whatever is held there? A question I should have asked is if the prison itself was guarded in any way. However, what is the other option? I suppose we could go hunt Champions; we might have the strength to take on the weaker ones."

V nodded in response. "It is clear that there is a delineation between the strong champions and the weak. As we are now, we could have killed E with ease, and perhaps even the man in the alleyway. A champion who could change his size was assaulting me and Eika before I blacked out a moment. If me, you and Eika were at our best, I suspect we could also have killed that Champion with ease. On the other hand, there are Champions who are in a clearly different league. The three of us could have never slew the Fire Champion, and I doubt we would stand a chance against J or the Time Champion. To simply go Champion hunting might work out really well, or end up with us nearly instantly dead. We could go simply gather experience off of "normal" monsters, but I will never level up my Champion class that way. Although I suppose it could help Eika..." L muttered to herself "A frustrating position."

L went to assist Alice, citing that she needed something to put her mind and body to for a time. V stood watch over Eika, he figured there was a fairly high chance of her freaking out, or at-least still being upset when she woke up. As he sat next to her leaning on a stack... or rather, what used to be a stack of boxes, he felt tired. Maybe that energizing effect from T's... sludge... stuff... only lasted a short while? V tried to fight the feeling, it would be in poor taste to be sleeping if Eika woke up crying or trying to kill everything. However, despite his best efforts, sleep overtook him.

"Are you sure this is what you desire?" V's voice echoed, he spoke to two Rabbitkin, although he had never seen any besides Eika, he would have described both of them as "Buff." Both were women, one's ears were long and white, the others were brown and a little shorter. The one with brown ears nodded and V spoke again "You will be well and truly gone." The brown eared rabbit nodded a second time "If it gives my daughter the strength to overcome the troubles in front of her, no sacrifice is too great. I just fear that he will not be able to carry out my wishes, he too carries a heavy burden, a great madness haunts him." The rabbit with the white ears laughed haughtily "Your wishes are hardly a factor. The girl is already marked. She will become what she is meant to be regardless of his ability to carry your desires out. Although... I will admit, the God's interference with my race is frustrating and may yet hold the girl back. I would be positively giddy to see him spit in the face of the God's crimes against my people, even at the cost of your soul." The brown eared rabbit nodded "Thank you for what I think are kind words toward my daughter. I wish I could repay you for the long service to our people, I wish they knew you still walked along side of us."  The white colored rabbit kin laughed again. "If your child becomes what she is truly meant to be, it will be all the repayment I could ever desire. To see one of my kind finally fulfill my friend's wishes for them..." V spoke softly again "When the time comes, on your child's seventeenth birthday, we will see if he can use the power gifted to him. We will have to trust his judgment. My interference must go unnoticed, even now I risk everything simply to allow you to see your daughter."

V awoke with a start as Eika grabbed him. V shook the confusion from his head, for a moment Eika looked similar to the brown eared Rabbitkin in his dream, causing V to think a large rabbit woman was looming over him. "What... Eika? Oh, I’m sorry. I fell asleep... I think I had a weird dream about you or something." V tried to recall what he was dreaming about, but all he could remember was there was a Rabbitkin who... was sad... or something. He shook his head again and blinked as Eika made an unsure face. "Only dream about Eika if it's nice things. Not weird things... or bad things happening to me." V nodded and struggled to his feet "Ya I'll uh... try." V patted Eika on the head "I’m glad to see you are ok. You were um... stressed out there for minute." Eika nodded "Ya I sort of lost control of my temper. Did you see me though? I was like a rabbit jumping all over the place and going all fast!" V decided to not point out that she was, in-fact, a rabbit. Instead, he just nodded "Ya you must have really got em! I was unable to see what happened though. Where did you go after fighting the size change guy?" Eika thought about it a bit before responding. "Oh YA! Actually it was really awesome. I was shot at, but I could tell where it was coming from. So I bounded to the house. Then Eika could smell him. It was sort of stinky, anyway, I smashed through a wall. When did I get that power? Maybe I should try again?" Eika looked at the nearby destroyed inn as she continued shooting off lightning sentences. "Something exploded or something but they couldn't escape. Then as I busted out of the back of the house a bunch of mouse things showed up, well it was like three is that a bunch? Anyway they chased Eika all around but I got em! And then...uh..." Eika furrowed her brow and her ears twitched about "I think I must have gotten hit over the head or something because I think I collapsed."

V nodded, that mostly lined up with what L reported about the scene she found Eika in. "I am glad you’re doing well. L and me are also mostly healed now. A lot happened while you were busy over that way." V attempted to explain what Eika had missed, but Luna had wandered over and was giving her own explanation of events. "And then the silvery guy jumped into the air and was like "wshowhosh" and then the dragon fell on top of him. Meanwhile a weird guy came through the rubble and thought everyone was dead. And then..." V decided it was best to just be quiet and only inform Eika of the parts Luna got wrong, rather than try to restrain the girl’s excitement. Although, by the look on Eika's face, Luna's explanation was making her jealous that she missed so many "awesome" and "cool" things. "Eika missed a fight with a dragon!?"

 

2