72. The Guilty
45 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quickly searching the dead men, V found some rope, as well as some sort of shackles, as well as a number of simple club-like weapons, three daggers, and a sword on the captain. The daggers were not particularly suited for battle, but were more for skinning wildlife and cutting rope; utility rather than combat. Using the rope and the shackles, he bound the two men he had left alive, the first he left inside of one of their tents, the other he bound to a tree some distance from the camp, out of earshot, but not out of screaming range. The magical balls had stopped hissing by the time he was finished. He prepared some water for Luna, based on what the dead captain had said, Luna would probably have some form of chest pain when she woke up. V stored the items in his "safe house" or item storage, or whatever the Gods called it, he found he could not store the balls while they were still active, however as soon as their magic was spent and they fell silent, he was able to store them.  He then began to put the fire back in order, first it was still nighttime and he needed light. Second, it would be useful sometime in the next few hours. After the fire was back to life, he placed the daggers he had acquired as far into the ashes of fire as he could, while still being able to retrieve them later without burning his hand.

"Huehggha" V looked over as dry gagging noises issued forth from Luna. "Drink some water, slowly. You were poisoned. I am not sure exactly was is wrong with you but take it slow." Ignoring V's words of caution, but not the water, Luna tried to drink and speak at the same time "Bubgtok Eikbbaaa" V nodded "Ya they took Eika, and L. I went to see if I could find her body, but all I found was a few more of the gas orbs and a bunch of dead bodies. She made them pay at-least." Luna held her hands to her chest as she spoke "Ahhh my breathing parts are burning when I breath." V handed her some more water "Just drink slowly and breath... uh... carefully I guess is the word. We can talk in a little bit." Noises had started to come from the tent as well, as V carefully took one of the daggers out he sighed, the campfire was not hot enough to make the tip of the blade glow, he knew from experience it took a more specialized fire to achieve that. The heat would suffice though. V noted that with a constitution of A, he could hold the hilt of dagger with only extreme discomfort, he would not have minded getting burnt some, perhaps he should have put the dagger further into the fire.

The man screamed a thready scream through his parched throat as V put the flat of the dagger blade onto the man's left cheek, the skin instantly bubbling up and rupturing. "Oh right, I forgot the first part, let me restart." V removed the dagger, much of the man’s cheek sticking to the heated metal. "I'm going to need you tell me where your boys took my girls. Or rather, the samurai and the rabbit, in-case you didn’t know who I was talking about." The man attempted to spit defiantly, but between his ruined cheek and his damaged throat from the gas, it was more of a pathetic drooling action. "Oh. Well, that is a bit of a shame." V pushed the man flat onto the floor and sat on top of him, pinning the man’s arms underneath his body. "See, I might not remember everything from my old life, but I do remember one aspect of this type of work. Most often there are two types of people. People who tell you everything you want instantly, and people who will stay silent no matter what. Sure, it’s possible to break the second type, but it often takes a lot of time and effort when possible. I do not really have a lot of time right now, as I need to catch up with your companions. However, for good measure, and because this does actually help me, I’ll spend a bit of time on you." V brought the still heated dagger close to the man's face. "I suggest you not thrash around very much. This is a somewhat delicate process." 

Luna looked at V as he exited the tent. "That guy was making an awful lot of noise." V nodded, "Ya... uh, I was punishing him. You know, for stealing Eika and L." Luna made a strange face, it seemed to be a cross between intense concentration, and confusion. "Are we going to get Eika back?" V shrugged "I hope so, I’m actually working on that right now." As V withdrew another heated dagger from the fire, placing the spent one back in, Luna continued after a short pause. "Are the people who took Eika bad people? The man who made everyone kill each other in the city was bad right?" V tilted his head. "Maybe. I’ve been thinking about the Champion of Violence. Maybe he was bad, or evil, or whatever. Or perhaps he was just trying his best to win the game we have all been placed in, is that bad? I don't really know, and to be honest I don't really think I care. I am in a bad mood right now. Bad or not, the people who took Eika are guilty of stealing our companions and assaulting us, and that is more than enough for me." Luna looked up at the stars, "They are guilty huh? Guilty...?" Luna muttered to herself in some confusion as V began to walk off to the other captive. He could have sworn a chill wind had blown through the camp as he looked back at Luna.

"So, I’m sure you heard your ol' pal "missing an eye" screaming and crying and whatnot. It’s going to be way way worse for you if you don't give me what I want to know. All he got was a few burns, and an eye pulled out. I of course left it dangling from his face by the nerve. Do you guys know what nerves are? Either way, when you can see your own eye dangling down the side of your face, it always seems to hurt more than if it is just cut out. Don't worry though, I think I’ll start with your knees." As the man frantically tried to respond, V took the burning hot dagger and inserted it into the man's left knee from the side. V forced it past the resistance of the ligaments. "If you answer me wrong, I’m going to pry your knee cap off. And then I’m going to pry your other knee cap off. And then I’m going to take you over to the fire and then I’m going to tear your lower legs off of both of your femurs while holding you over the fire to cauterize your stumps. Based on the fact that I accidentally dislocated one of your friends’ shoulders, this should be easy enough. After that is over, I'll really get to work on you." V was fairly sure the man would not survive that sort of trauma, and even if he did, it would be hours before he was cognizant enough to know what was going on again, and V doubted he had the time to wait. However, it's not as if the man knew that. "Stop please. Please take the dagger out please o Gods in heaven mercy please." The man was crying and spitting, and by the smell, had soiled himself. "Anything, I’ll do anything please." V nodded "Well, really what I need to know is how many of you are there, and how to get to your camp. If your answer is not the same as your buddy’s answer, your legs are going to be the least of your worries. I hate liars. " As the man cried and blubbered and soiled himself, he tried to eke out words. "I’ll tell you the truth please no more I’ll do anything please I just wana see my girl again o heavenly beings please mercy." V grabbed the dagger in the man's knee. "Well, then get on with it."

V discarded the pathetic dagger as he trudged back, after removing the man’s legs, he had tried to drive the metal through the man’s skull. However, the useless dagger had broken, so V simply left him to bleed out. When he arrived back at camp, he saw Luna standing near the fire, warming her hands and her glazed over eyes reflected the firelight. A new trail of spattered blood was leading out of the camp, originating at the tent the other man had been kept. "What happened?" Without looking away from the fire, Luna responded "I went to check on the man inside, he sounded really sad. He said I looked like such a sweet girl, and begged me to let him free of the ropes and the shackles. I thought it would help him be more comfortable, so I helped him. He ran away though..." V rolled his eyes. Of course, that was what happened. Although, V did not really need him anymore, he was sort of looking forward to taking out his other eye. V had a lot of anger he had planned to work out on the man. Luckily, it was not as if the man's freedom endangered them anymore, two of them already ran away when he killed their captain, so they already knew he was alive. Although, it was nice to know that the spotty blood trail matched the directions given to him by the now legless man. "Luna, I'm going. There are at-least fifteen of them still alive, there could be more, it was honestly hard to understand what the man was saying by that point. I’ll do what I can to save Eika and L, but you should run back to town. I don't know if I am going to survive. The Crafting Champion can probably watch you there, he seemed sane enough. Luna shook her head "No, I am going too. I want to help get Eika, she is my only friend. Eika gave me a name and taught me about secrets and cities and food and errands and respect and...." Luna trailed off for a moment before speaking up a second time. "I got to save her from them! They are guilty of kidnapping Eika! I can't leave her. They are guilty!" Luna was a Champion after-all, even if she was a young girl, she was allowed to make her own decisions. Besides, V had a strange feeling that trying to keep her away from her mission was a bad idea, come to think of it, he never heard Luna say the word "guilty" before.

V and Luna trekked carefully though the sparsely wooded region, well V was careful. Luna was more idly following him. As they walked, the trees became closer together and denser. They had been walking east for a little while now. The man's blood trails had mostly disappeared, but they still found flecks here and there as they traveled. V figured it must have been three or four in the morning by this point, they had been walking for hours. If they were being tailed by these slavers for a while as Eika suspected, V would have thought that their camp would have been south, behind them. However, the fact that their camp was due east created some interesting questions. As V started to consider them, he suddenly ground to a halt. In-front of him, pinned to a tree by a wooden group of spears bound together was the man he had tortured. Luna simply said "Oh" as V examined the area. It appeared as if the man had activated some sort of spring-loaded trap, V saw evidence of others in the area. It was probable he was unable to avoid his companions’ traps with a dangling eye. Since Eika wasn’t here, he might not have noticed them, they were well camouflaged and she was the only one of their group that probably would have spotted something like this. It was lucky that... the... man... V looked at Luna as she waited for him to finish examining the area. V shook his head, even if this was a result of her actions, he was certain Luna would not have purposefully gotten someone killed, or so he would have thought had Luna's passive expression about this situation not placed some doubt in his mind.

1