73. The Slavers
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

V carefully navigated around the well concealed traps. He moved his "Jack of All Trades" ability to change his rank in awareness from B to A, he was not entirely sure what awareness actually did in a concrete manner, but he at-least felt like it was helping him avoid the traps easier. Luna had stepped on one of the spring-loaded mechanisms, but it seemed as if she had gotten lucky. The trap misfired and tore itself apart thanks to a seemingly incorrectly secured rope. V suddenly was able to hear voices, and they sounded rather close. The sudden voices had, for a moment, made V think he was being ambushed again. However, that was not the case. As far as V could determine, there was a certain point where the voices just simply stopped traveling. Perhaps this was another type of cloaking spell? It would make sense for them to have other ways of concealing their camp than just "hiding in the woods." He was just happy that they seemed to be unable to make the traps invisible. Although, there was a part of him that wanted to trigger one, to test his ability to dodge against the traps speed.

"We finally pulled the sword out of Ralf's body. Turns out we needed multiple layers of cloth, as well as a pair of metal gauntlets in order to stop the sword from burning my hands. I don't know how we are going to sell that thing, it's lucky that the sword was planted so firmly in Ralf's corpse, otherwise it might have fallen out while we dragged his body here." A feminine voice reported with a slightly pained voice. A man responded approvingly. "Good, crate the sword. I'm sure we can sell it to a collector, or perhaps a magical type who likes those sorts of things. Are the new acquisitions taken care of?" The woman hesitated before responding. "Uh... not... exactly. The rabbit girl already has a slave contract, we are going to need to find a higher-level Slave Master class in order to overwrite or break it. As for the ice queen... for some reason that we cannot determine, the slaving collar is just... uh... not working. We are going to need to take her back to the boss and have him check her status, she might have some sort of anti-slave ability or something. Also, normal sleeping agents don't seem to work on her, only the brain poison stuff, its expensive to keep her under so we just tied her up and boxed her." The man was silent for a moment before responding in a displeased voice. "First it’s not "brain poison." Stop calling it that. Second, tell the men to double the night watch. The man is still out there somewhere, and I doubt he would leave a slave, a woman, and a sword like that behind. I wouldn't if I was in his place." The woman spoke one last time before leaving, her voice a bit strained. "Also, I hate to tell you this but um. The rabbitkin was not the small girl we were paid to nab; we were looking for a foxkin. She must still be with the other guy who escaped our team." The man sighed, "Great. Well, if we don't see him tonight, we will go back out in the morning to get them both."

V listened, staying as quiet as possible. They sounded as if they were only a couple of feet away, behind a few trees at most. By their conversation it appeared as if they were trying to keep Eika and L anesthetized in some way. V did his best to creep forward, once the woman finished her report, he might be able to kill the man silently. It was clear he was in some sort of authority position, killing him would help in two ways: one less person in their group alive, and the less leadership the better. He had crept around the forest they started in enough with Eika that he had some idea on what he was doing. Although he was much better at hiding in city streets than a forest, he hoped he would be good enough. A distinct smell crept over V's nose as he drew close to where the voices were speaking. It was acrid and almost made him cough. Luckily, he was able to hold it back. V heard the man shuffling around in front of him. It might have become more forested than their original camp location, but it was still not a jungle filled with underbrush, he doubted he could get much closer without being seen, he would simply have to hope he was close enough to pull this off before the man could yell. V charged toward where he believed the man to be, as he burst out of the bush, V was happy to see that the man's back was to him, perhaps he had watched the woman who reported to him return to camp. The man whipped around at the rustling noise, but was severely too late. V punched the man in the throat as hard as he could, he could feel the man’s trachea and surrounding muscles give way with relative ease. V had initially only wanted to silence the man and then knock him out. Perhaps dragging him away for more questions, such as "How many of you are there?" Unfortunately, even with a B strength V's well-built body held far too much strength to allow the man to survive an all-out throat punch. As the man's eyes rolled and he collapsed, V got the impression that he might have actually damaged the man’s spine as well.

Walking up, Luna looked at the dying man. "He is guilty of taking Eika away." She muttered as she looked at V "I want to help Eika. Let me help too." V shrugged "You’re not very good at fighting, and you don't have any other skills that I know of." Luna considered for a short time. "I have this blessing. I was told it would keep me safe. The bad man used his power to make everyone kill each other... I don't think I have any power like that..." V nodded "That is ok, not everyone has to fight. I’ll do my best to get Eika back." Luna shook her head, "But Eika is my friend. She would fight for me if she thought I needed to be saved! She promises to teach and protect me and stuff. I cannot hide while she is in danger. That is not right, is it?" V shrugged "I don't know if it’s right or not. If you want to fight, you can, but I cannot protect you if you start doing things on your own, and Eika would not want you to die." Luna struggled internally for a little while, "I still want to help somehow... but I don't really want to die. There is so much food left to eat, and so many things to learn, and so many cool things to see." She did not look afraid of dying per-say, it looked like she was more disappointed at the prospect of dying than fearful. "Sometimes I know what to do when bad guys are after me. Maybe I can distract the guilty people?" Luna's eyes took on a notable silvery color, her eyes seemed to be reflective from time to time, but now her eyes looked downright like a silver mirror. "Hay, let's go that way." Luna said as she walked forward.

V followed Luna closely. This seemed like a really stupid idea. It was undeniable that Luna clearly had some providence protecting her, in-fact as he thought about it, V remembered that she even had a level two skill "Providence." However, providence, luck, or otherwise would not be enough if Luna decided to walk directly into a camp full of slavers. She obviously had some level of future telling ability, but if it simply allowed her to know all things, especially at such a low level, every single God would have sent their champion down as a future telling class. The only factor that V could hope for any real help was her blessing. He had never felt her activate it, but that did not mean it was not in use. For now he would have to follow Luna, and hope he could deal with whatever her... uh... "help" caused. If he let Luna die like this, Eika would never forgive him. Luna stopped wordlessly, her eyes still a strange silver color. "mehhaaa" She made a strange noise that sounded like she was imitating a sheep, or goat. An arrow flew by her face almost instantly, planting itself next to V's foot. It must have come from above based on the trajectory. As the arrow hit the ground, Luna started to squeal, it sounded quite horrible actually. V was unsure if she was trying to mimic the sound of someone being shot with an arrow, or just making a horrible noise but either way- His thoughts were cut short as someone flung themselves at Luna from the trees, wielding a short dagger. Luna stood still and watched as the man strangely fell slightly to the right of Luna, his dagger burying itself into the tree next to her. Luna simply waited as V stabbed the man through the neck. The man died with the most confused look on his face one could ever imagine.

Luna then turned and walked to the right, parallel to where V expected the camp to be. To be honest, Luna was being really creepy, her stiff moments and dead silence made him feel like she was one of those little girls that always appear in horror movies. After a few moments, Luna stopped, jumped up and down a few times for no discernible reason, and then fell forward as she landed, face first into the dirt. As she fell, she tripped one of the trip wires that connected to another spear trap that flew over her body harmlessly, although it made quite a bit of noise as it triggered, probably by design. "Something triggered an impaler trap over this way!" Luna made strange pained noises as she stood up. V heard two... or maybe three people rushing toward them from the direction the camp should be. Luna deftly pushed V to the left, into a thicket of bushes as she stood waiting. V was unsure where this was going but, Luna had been creepily doing well so far.... so... he just sort of went with it. Two men and a woman burst forth shortly after V was hidden. They looked at the failed trap, a little confused "Well uh... hello girl?" One of the men spoke and moved close to her. The woman made a noise of surprise. "I think that is the girl we are on contract for!" She ran over and grabbed Luna's hand. "Uh... hi little girl. Would you like to come see my camp?" V wondered why they were not simply assaulting her, but if they were slavers perhaps the less the damaged the goods the better. Although, why would they specifically be contracted to capture Luna? Maybe it was just someone obsessed with fox girls who spotted her in the city.

Nodding, Luna started to walk with the woman, she pointed back at the bushes and pulled back on the woman's hand a little. "Grilt, check the bushes. I think she might have lost something in there, maybe the trap scared her and she dropped a doll or something." One of the men, apparently named Grilt, started to walk toward the thicket, however he tripped and stumbled, falling halfway into them, landing face first in front of V. Shrugging at this unreal situation, V quickly stabbed the man through the back of his head. "Grilt you idiot, watch your feet." The other man walked over and kicked his friend’s foot, which was sticking out of the thick bushes. V burst out and punched the man in the neck, not having time to withdraw his sword from the other man's head. The man collapsed as the woman turned and yelled out "Intruder! It’s the -" before she could finish her sentence, V had bull rushed and tackled her to the ground, he grabbed her head as they fell and drove it into the ground, almost certainly killing her. However, her warning seemed to have been heard by the camp. Calls of alarms went up all over the area, and Luna calmly walked on, diagonally approaching the camp. As V crept behind Luna, more than once he heard someone run by them, so close he probably could have stuck his leg out and tripped them, but there was always a strange, unreasonable... reason that him and Luna remained unseen. They soon stumbled into the camp proper. It seemed to be a semi-permanent establishment. The area was cleared of trees, and several well-constructed tents and wooden shed-like buildings dotted the camp. There seemed to be about twenty people in the camp still, V would not be able to kill them all on his own. Besides, who knew how many of them were in the surrounding trees? There could be fifty people here for all he knew.

Luna started walking into the middle of the camp, V grabbed her "Wait wait wait. That is not going to work. There are too many." Luna's face had started to show significant strain. Although her expression remained normal, V could see the veins in her forehead and surrounding her eyes had turned noticeably blue. As Luna pointed to one of the wooden shacks, V noticed the veins in her hands and arms had turned concerningly visible as well. However there was really not enough time to try and stop Luna. After a single moment of hesitation, he ran off the to shed-like building as he heard Luna start screaming at the top of her lungs. The people in the camp's attention was focused solely on the wildly screaming fox girl that was wandering into the center of them, giving V the time to quickly approach the shed. Kicking the door in, he almost did a 180, Inside was Eika, inside a simple wooden cage, sleeping.  Next to her also in a wooden cage, was L. Her condition however was... quite different then Eika's. First off, and the reason V had almost reflexively turned, she had been stripped totally naked. She was also bound with incredibly thick rope, multiple places on her arms as well as on her ankles and knees.  She also had some form of blindfold on. "Kicking the door in? Has your lust finally overwhelmed you swine? I am sure your boss will have your head should you defile me. Virgins are sure to be worth more on the slave market. Perhaps your masters will castrate you for this. It almost makes it worth it." V still almost wanted to turn around and leave. Her voice was so impossibly laden with hatred it was almost tangible. If words could cause physical damage, V was sure he would be speared through the heart.

"Quiet a minute, would you?" V spoke quickly " I have to get you out of here, Luna is in trouble. If she is not dead already. "V?" L muttered in surprise. V broke the bars of the wooden cage, although they were considerably stronger than he had come to expect from simple wood. He pulled L out of the cage. At this range, he could tell that although by the sound of things, she had not been outright raped, they had been rough with her. L did not speak as V worked as quickly as he could. Cutting the ropes off of her, he could not help but notice the marks on her chest and thighs. Anger started to rise up inside of V. To be honest, he was unsure if he was angry that they damaged his property, or if he was angry that they had violated L. He did not care to further examine the feelings at the moment either. "Do you know where your sword is?" L nodded as she removed the blindfold "I think I do; I saw them drag the last man I killed with it into a nearby tent, the one with the green symbols" As V looked at her eyes, the damage to her face was also apparent. Considering her regeneration ability, this must have been going on, on and off all night. When this group had ambushed them, V had gotten angry. When he realized that they had dragged off L and Eika he was positively livid. He unconsciously touched the side of her face, the flesh was brushed and swollen. "Never mind. You stay here." A confused look fell over L's face as V leaned her against the wooden wall and walked out of the shed.

┌——————┐
Mother's Hatred has activated!
Mother' Justice has activated!
└——————┘

The camp was still preoccupied with Luna somehow. V quickly entered the tent that L had described, and found a crate that had not yet been nailed closed. Inside was L's sword laying in some cloth. V used his ability to enhance his agility rank, and then switched classes to weapon master. He did not need to be in this class to use the "Forceful Use" ability, but its base attribute ranks were higher. He gripped L's sword, activating Forceful Use. The sword at-first rebelled although it could no longer burn his hands thanks to his ability, its pseudo-will pushed against his. However, it felt what was coming, and quickly its desires fell in sync with V's. They would suffer a thousand-fold what they wrought upon its master! With V's own thoughts being propelled by the sword, he stepped outside. Before anyone even know what was going on, V had slain three people. Although the fact was lost on V at the moment, Luna had been overwhelmed by numbers, and had been beaten into unconsciousness a few seconds ago by the look of things. The sword urged V onward, lusting for blood. V impaled the person who was sitting on top of Luna, binding her hands with rope. At this point the camp had realized the threat facing them, but V cared little. Someone stabbed V in the back as he picked out his next target, but this proved to be a mistake. The next think they knew, their teeth were shattered and a sword hilt had been shoved halfway down their gullet. V grabbed someone else nearby and simply threw them to the ground hard enough that he heard bones crack. Good, they had finally surrounded him.

L had suffered indignity after indignity at the hands of the slavers over the last few hours. Her body hurt, but more than that her pride and self-respect had taken a hit. However, she had protected herself from outright rape by claiming to be a virgin, which was the truth, when would she have had the time to do anything romantic? The leaders of the camp forbid anyone from lowering her value, however they could easily heal physical damage, so anything else was on the table. Most of the men, and a few of the woman, in the camp had had quite a bit of fun with her. Even so, it was nothing she would not be able to recover from, even if her pride took a little longer to heal then her physical damage. V's strange behavior upon seeing her was somewhat concerning, and there were a-lot of people in the camp. L was sure even someone like V could kill three or four them alone, but she knew he could not handle more than six at once for sure. She pulled herself upward, the ropes had been bound tightly and caused some minor damage as well. She looked at Eika, still under the effects of some form of sleep agent. It was probable that V was about to die, which also meant she was about to die. If that was the case, she needed to get Eika out of here as fast as she could. If she and V died, it was possible they would use the small girl for their... games... instead. She worked to free Eika of the wooden cage, and began to carry her out of the shed.

 

1