Chapter 54
1.2k 1 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: Chapters in advance in Patreòn
Pa treon.com/HolyJoker
(20+ chapters in advance)
______

Chapter 54

***
Katara with Kiwi on her shoulder went to gather some water for the group. As a waterbender, she could carry the water easily, so she was the most efficient choice to do so. 

The cute fox was a nice addition that kept her company during such short trips, and would always protect her friend no matter what, even though it was so small. 

"Kiwi, do you want some sugarcane?" she asked the little fox, noticing that there was a lot of sugarcane around them. Katara didn't know exactly what foxes ate, but tried to offer Kiwi any edible things that she could think of. The little fox was smart enough to know what she could eat and what not to eat. 

Kiwi shook her head and rubbed her cheek against Katara, making the young waterbender chuckle. "C'mon now, Kiwi, don't be so cute~"

"Sister, don't spoil her too much. I wouldn't want Emergency Food number 2 to become spoiled." Sokka's voice sounded out as Katara looked around but couldn't see him. 

"Up here."

She looked up and saw him hanging by a branch with one hand while on the other he had a big fish in a hook. "I caught us some dinner too. So emergency food number 2 lives another day."

"Hey! I told you not to call her that in front of Kiwi," she pouted while comforting the little fox. "Also I don't spoil her… too much."

Sokka stared at his sister with a suspicious look but didn't say anything.  They both knew she spoiled the little fox too much. Suddenly he chuckled at the situation and she did too. 

As long as Kiwi was around, Sokka knew that Katara would be safe. Because the little fox was technically a strong spirit, though it was too young.

***
-Sokka POV-

I had dismissed my clone and decided to meet with Katara. Since my water clone was close to the river he was probably catching some fish as that was my job, so when I showed up with fish Katara went along with it too. Every time I dismissed the clone, I made sure he went swimming into the water and then dismissed it, just in case someone I couldn't detect by using [Map] was around.

Well, if my clone hadn't gone fishing then the situation would have been weird as I now had a big fish in my hand out of nowhere. I was okay with that kind of development too, just thinking of the look on Katara's face makes me want to do it. 

Damn, if only there wasn't a war going on, I would have spent more time with my little sister. Also had some fun and enjoyed a whole new world.

*
We went back and Aang was there, gathering some plants and ready to make some soup for himself. 

"Wow, that's a big fish, your fishing feels like it's getting better every day," Aang commented, and he wasn't wrong as my fishing skill does continue to level up at a steady pace. 

Though it was mostly due to Luck because no matter how good of a fisherman someone was, sometimes without Luck, you won't catch anything.

I started a fire by using some flint and started cooking. "Yes, I know. You are still free to join my meat-eating ways."

Aang chuckled. "No, no, I will follow my monk-like ways. You are free to join me, Sokka."

That was when I noticed Katara's necklace on the ground. This girl needs to be more careful with things like these. I crouched down, picking it up. "Hey~ sis, don't leave these things on the ground or I might step on them. Possibly with the intention to make you angry."

Katara saw that and went to grab her necklace, but I raised my hand and she wasn't able to reach it. "Let me make sure that it's tied on correctly."

Having the necklace lost somewhere, and then a certain monster that can track others by scent find her, was the last thing I wanted to worry about. 

She sighs and pulls up her hair, showing me her neck. I put her necklace on and make sure to tie it up correctly. This way it shouldn't fall out. While to me, this was just a piece of junk, sometimes people risk their lives for things that can connect them to their loved ones. I wouldn't blame Katara if she did something stupid, as it was normal. But that didn't mean that I couldn't try and prevent certain things and unnecessary drama.

"It looks good on you," Aang complimented her, trying to get on my sister's good side.

Well, Katara would refuse, but it's time I added a little more fuel to the fire. "Ahhh~ young love~"

Aang blushed in embarrassment as expected. But Katara was different, there wasn't even a spec of embarrassment on her. She just chuckled. "Sokka, don't joke around like that. Aang is like a good friend and little brother to me."

I saw the 'mighty' Avatar crumble and look down, his mood spiraling downward like a meteor, due to the words he hears. 

Like always, little sis was out there going for the KO.

"He is like Momo, or Kiwi," Katara pointed at the aforementioned animals. 

"..." that… was too far. I feel like I could see Aang's spirit floating to the afterlife. 

Now I even feel sorry for him. That's why you shouldn't put hopes in one-sided love Aang, because you will end up crushed. As an older brother, I would normally kick to the ground any guy that might get close to my little sister. That's my job. But Aang, he was a kid in my eyes, and just got handed the worst beatdown in his life.

So as a good friend, I went to him and put my arm around his shoulder. "How about we go and get resupplied in the nearby village."

Maybe this way I might get Aang to meet some new girl to get a crush on before Katara crushes the poor guy's self-confidence. He is 12, it takes a lot of courage to say anything to a girl at that age. 

"I am coming along," said Katara happily, not having noticed the emotional damage she had done. She was a cold and cruel emotionless killer.

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a little about her. But Aang was going there to recover. 

Well, hopefully, she doesn't say anything, but I couldn't say no to my little sister. Aang was a good friend, but Katara was family. It is pretty obvious who I would choose between them.

**
As they walked to a nearby village, they came into a place that had settled close to a volcano. 

"So what are we missing? Salt? Spices?" Inquired Katara. Trying to be the responsible sister, like always.

Well, nothing was missing, and we wouldn't need to even come here normally. But Aang needed to get his head straight, and not worry about such things. Though the volcano close by was about to explode, saving these ignorant people from a burning and painful death sounded like a good idea.

Why were they ignorant? Because they decided to believe a fortune teller whether the volcano would explode or not. 

There were a lot of stupid people out there in the world, and sometimes deaths like these were a cruel, but natural selection. 

But since there were children in that village too, I decided to help. Plus it would raise the Avatar's prestige, and gather more soldiers for our cause. 

Just imagine, the Avatar fighting against a volcano. That sounded very endearing, which would cause many people to join our cause.

Well, this was a boring thing to think about, but necessary. People's minds were complex and they needed a cause to believe in. Aang was a twelve-year-old, and whether he was the Avatar or not, most people wouldn't follow him. He failed them once and would do so again.

Also, Aang was soft-spoken, awkward and a pacifist, pretty much, he was the worst kind of a person you would want to take the side of in a war. So I had to compensate for his weaknesses. 

Complaining about his weakness, or trying to twist Aang's personality to be more war-like would be useless. Also pacifist leaders usually thrived during times of peace, so that was a positive.

"Didn't you hear about Aunt Wu's fortune-telling about another marriage today?"

"Yeah, that seems to be happening a lot lately."

"This village is blessed to have someone like Aunt Wu amongst us."

The people around us spoke about Aunt Wu with a revenant voice. As if she could predict the future. At best she could give vague statements. Which pretty much anyone could do.

Katara had an excited smile on her face. "Can-"

"Sure," I could guess what Katara was going to say. Of course, someone her age would want to know her future. "Let's go and falsely get our fates read."

While I wasn't going to refute the existence of fate readers. Since, my existence alone proved that there were things beyond my understanding, for now. So being completely dismissive of a fate reading ability would be something short-sighted, but that didn't mean that I would believe any old granny that came around and said that they could tell me my future. 

In reality, fates shouldn't even be known to the user because sometimes just knowing the fate would make it set in stone. Like Oedipus, when his father banished him after learning that his son would kill him and marry his wife, his mother. He had the kid banished as an infant, and that inevitably led him to fulfill the prophecy without even meaning to.

Then there was the kind of future sight, that just knowing about it, and the knowledge of what it held, would cause the future to change. This was my kind of future vision, because even if I had tried to act exactly like Sokka, eventually small things would have spiraled out of control and caused a change.

***
Sokka, Katara, and Aang went to the fortune-teller, where a young girl. 

Meng came out to greet them with a smile on her face. She was young and had two braids to her dark hair. "Welcome, Aunt Wu has been expecting you."

From what Sokka remembered, she was Aunt Wu's assistant and someone who would grow to have a crush on Aang. 

Sokka, as a self-proclaimed love guru, caught this and looked at the two like a hungry tiger. Katara brought him out of his thoughts by punching him to the side. "Don't look at them like that. It will scare the young girl."

He pouted. "But it looks like fun."

By now, Katara had come to learn a little more about her brother. A side that she never knew would exist within him. His love for drama. Whether it was an extramarital affair, family matters, drama, relationships, Sokka would always get himself into a position with one of the main culprits of the drama and put himself in the perfect position to watch the show. 

While it wasn't immoral to do so, Katara considered his actions a little too invasive.

"What do you think will happen with her? Aang won't take her on the journey with us, since she is normal and that would cause her to be hurt. Maybe they will fall in love and once he comes back she will have already forgotten about him, and found a new boyfriend." Sokka whispered what might happen in the future to Katara and while she was interested, the stories he said were entertaining. At the same time, she didn't want to have her mind tainted by her brother.

"Don't say such harsh things, Aang is your friend," she whispered back at Sokka harshly. 

"But c'mon~ this is a good drama. Also, I will help Aang get another girl if he is ever single," he muttered, trying to come up with an excuse for his actions.

They were escorted into a room, while Katara and Sokka continued whispering amongst each other. At the same time, the other girl tried to make moves on Aang. Who seemed to not even notice them.

Aunt Wu came forward, she was an old woman, but not old enough to be considered elderly. Sokka would assume that she was around her sixties, and quite rich too due to the clothes she wore and the expensive-looking rings on her fingers. 

'She must have scammed a lot of people in this small village to be able to get so rich, in such a remote place.' - Sokka contemplated, but didn't say anything out loud. 

The first one Aunt Wu looked at was Katara. "What are you gonna ask me, dear? About who you will marry? How many children will you have? Or maybe some other boring question?"

It seemed like the old woman was already bored and seemed to predict Katara's question without her even saying anything. While this seemed to impress others, Sokka wasn't that impressed but disappointed instead. 

At that moment, he knew that she was a fake. While even she might believe in her methods, without a doubt, Aunt Wu was a fake. If she was a fate reader, she would have said something more concrete, something that only Katara knew. But instead, she said something obvious to Sokka, which undoubtedly any girl Katara's age would ask.

So seeing this, as they were all already sitting down, Sokka laid back into the ground with his hands behind his head. The initial interest that he had was now all lost. Instead, now he was more concerned with the volcano and tried to think of a plan on how to fight against it. 

***
At the same time, on a port of an Earth Kingdom colony. Azula and Ty Lee stepped off the ship. 

They were going to meet another one of their friends. When Ty Lee got a curious thoughtful look on her face, and without thinking much, wondered out loud. "Why do you think Kuzon got this break? Does he have a secret girlfriend maybe?"

Azula stopped walking once she heard that. Only then did Ty Lee realize, she said that out loud. "Oops… I mean… he probably doesn't… right?"

************
A/N: There are quite some people who believe in their future sight or prophetic abilities. So some might not be "frauds" just disillusioned people.

P.S: Wrote almost two chaps on one chap. But I wanted to end it in a place where I like.

If you wanna join my Discord server to ask any questions or see character pics. Here it is the link:
https://discord.gg/bqadGRAUHA

47