Chapter 81
740 3 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapters in advance in Patreòn

Pa treon.com/HolyJoker

(20+ chapters in advance)

 

***

By the time the waterbenders came and clashed against the Fire nation soldiers, Sokka had killed many of them already and it had been a massacre. Sokka seemed a little injured but overall seemed to be well. But the ground was drowned in blood with a river of red, corpses, terrified faces of the people, flames and the murky smell of despair reeked all around.

Looking at the corpses in the ground even the Water Tribe soldiers couldn't help but gulp in fear and respect, somewhere horrified as amongst the Fire Nation soldiers were those that had died with their eyes open and it felt like they were staring back at them. Not anyone can just go and do something like this.

"How many do you think are there?"

"Seems like at least fifty."

"Damn, that's a lot."

Though they spoke in lowered voices, Sokka could hear them. Thinking about killing people and then doing it were two different things. Even he was grossed out and a little perturbed by the corpses. If it wasn't for [Gamer's Mind] he would have thrown up due to the smell, it was truly horrible. A sense of guilt clawed at his heart as each of these people had a family, sibling, mother, children,... everyone had someone waiting for them.

But as soon as it came, Sokka crushed that guilt with ruthless ferocity. He couldn't let himself think about that or he would end up becoming miserable, not even [Gamer's Mind] would be able to help him against himself. "Gather the corpses and burn the bodies. They can't be returned to their families in that condition anyway."

"But-"

"Don't worry, I know they won't attack for a little bit," Sokka reassured the men, and just like he had said, the Fire nation ships seemed to come to a halt. There was no doubt in his heart that Azula had seen what he had done, and even while she might be angry at him, the princess wouldn't be reckless to send more troops into a slaughterhouse.

Sokka was confident in Azula and knew that she might come up with a good plan to take care of him. But for now, he also could somewhat guess where she would move and what she would do.

Opening his notifications, Sokka sees that there were multiple of them, notifying him that his intelligence had increased by 3 and wisdom by 2 for outmaneuvering competent commanders and a genius strategist (Azula).

[INT: 43 -> 46]

[WIS: 30 -> 33]

He waved at the waterbenders and pointed towards the destroyed walls. "Be careful and always keep guard, or before we ever know it, the Northern Water Tribe will be slaughtered."

After that Sokka picks one of the younger men and whispers in his ear. "Have the civilians move to the back of the Water Tribe. The Fire Nation will have no mercy on them either, and soon catapult shots will start coming."

Then he walked off, Sokka planned to butcher as many people as the Fire Nation threw at him until they eventually gave up and the Fire NAtion's people's spirits broke. By the time Azula realized that Sokka didn't need sleep or rest, it should be too late.

Even to him, the plan wasn't too reliable, but Sokka didn't have a lot of time to do anything and most of his effort was spent taking care of certain people that would have grown to be troublesome. Still, he didn't have time or the manpower to prepare something fearsome against Azula and her massive army. For all he knew, Azula could realize that he didn't need sleep and rest, much sooner and that would have the plan come crumbling down.

'There is another way, but I did not want to do it.' Sokka contemplated, and the faces of the people he had killed came to mind. Someone like him didn't mind killing too much, but it made him feel sorry for the people they would leave behind. The one who dies only experiences despair for a second, but those they leave behind will be affected by their death for the rest of their lives.

Without a working father, the children wouldn't be able to eat, and what about their mother? There were many things a mother would do for her children, and there weren't a lot of things women could do freely at this time. Fire Nation accepted women as soldiers, but would a mother be able to join the army and leave her children alone?

There was one option that a woman and mother in that position could do, and that was prostitution. The children would be affected and bullied for that. Each person Sokka killed today, he wasn't naive enough to not understand all of this and what he was doing by killing these people.

Ding!

[For understanding the pain you're causing the people you kill, intelligence increased by 1]

Sokka clenched his teeth and his hand-formed into a tight fist, but he released a sigh as he walked away. "What a shitty system, you don't need to remind me of what I am doing here. I am not killing evil people either, just some men and women who want to make a living and have no other choice."

[Due to comprehending that just because someone is your enemy, it doesn't make them evil, wisdom increased by 1]

"Fuck you," he swore under his breath and walked towards a certain secret passage. But he stopped once he noticed someone following him. "You can come out now, Katara. Next time try to breathe softer, and soften your steps by using waterbending."

He noticed her due to having [Map] pulled up, but he still gave her some genuine advice. Though Katara wouldn't be able to hide from the [Map] no matter what.

Katara came out of one of the turns in the tunnels behind Sokka, and she walked next to him, Sokka finally was able to get the smell of blood from his nostrils and smelled the perfume that his sister had put on herself or shampoo. He didn't know what it was, but it helped him get rid of that gross, bloody, smell of death.

"Are you okay?" she asked him, worriedly, Katara had seen what her brother caused. While Aang had been conflicted on the matter, she knew what to think of her brother. "It wasn't your fault, this is a war."

If it was anyone else, she would have been afraid to approach them, but Sokka was her brother, he was family, and no matter what he did, she wouldn't feel scared of him.

He sighed at her words and smiled slightly. "Do you think I will break down after killing people? Don't worry, your brother isn't that weak, I can do a lot more than you think."

Katara felt a chill go down her spine, as a feeling of coldness surrounded her. Still, she only took a deep, cold breath, and calmed herself. Deciding to change the subject, she asked. "Where are we going?"

Sokka smiled at that. "Someplace where I can end all of this. Sister, I am never sure if you ever noticed this. But I am a very selfish person. I don't compromise for other people, and am vain enough to not change myself for others."

His smile turned into a gentle one. Something that she was familiar with. "I don't like killing so many people. More specifically, I don't like how the people that they leave behind end up. Should I change myself to fit this world and my ambitions? A great man once said; You can choose as you want, but your wants are chosen for you."

Katara was confused at where her brother might have met someone like that, or which book he read it from. But Sokka continued as they both noticed the light at the end of the secret tunnel they were in. "We are not free in what we do, because we are not free in what we want. But as a selfish person, I want..." suddenly he stopped and his smile slipped off his face and he patted Katara, ruffling her hair. "Someday you will understand just how much we lack choice. Some are okay with that, I am not."

The more he spoke, the more confused Katara became. It felt like he was trying to tell her something but stopped himself. After walking out of the secret passage, there was a bush blocking their way, and the light was passed that. They walked out, and Katara was surprised by the greenery around her, but this was something she remembered having visited before.

Sokka went and stood in front of the pond, Katara followed and saw that he was staring at two fish chasing each other. Her brother sat down, cross-legged and in a meditative pose. 

32