Chapter 86 – Dark Passenger
718 1 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***
I knew this situation would eventually come. Whether sooner or later didn't matter. But now the question was how to deal with something like this?

There were many ways. If I tried to, I might even be able to change the conversation into something else and make the situation seem less important than it seems.

But no, it was time I dealt with this situation in a manner befitting its importance. Dodging the situation for too long could be bad. "Well, I am still your brother if you're wondering about that."

Since this was something I had expected to happen for quite a while now, I wasn't going to stutter or say something stupid.

Right now, I need to be more forthcoming. Just as she was about to speak, I interrupted her. "Do you know how many times we have come close to death? Back when you were sick, the time Zhao attacked us, both in the temple and his armada of ships trying to shoot us down."

"That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. It feels like I don't even know you anymore, as if you're a whole different person."

I let her talk, and didn't interrupt her. This way she could get out whatever she had to say. 

"But it does matter. We have been in dangerous situations multiple times." I clarified, maybe due to her age she might have forgotten certain things, so I will remind her. "You could have died, and so could I. That's why the change was inevitable, being a foolish sarcastic brother is okay during certain times. But this is no longer a situation where I can act foolish, and go penguin riding with you."

"You never went penguin riding with me."

"Well, it's a childish game, why would I?" Welp, better think my words carefully before saying them. Having Sokka's memories at this point would have helped massively. "But still, this is a death battle. What we are doing here isn't a stroll in the park. If I hadn't changed and adapted, we would be dead by now. Well, at least I and you would be, Aang has his whole Avatar State thing going for him."

She looked down at the green grass. I could see the gears turning in her head as many thoughts  passed through her mind.

Aang, Katara, and the original Sokka would have survived if I didn't exist or change either. But she didn't know that, and with how the situation has turned out.

It's logical for her to assume that Aang's journey would have been cut very short if I hadn't been there. Katara doesn't know what I do.

"My plans are many, little sister," I turned around and started walking away. "Remember, people always change."

Just like that, I walked off and looked at my new level-ups in skills.

[Waterbending Lvl 18 -> 24]

This one was quite good. Due to the Ocean and Moon's spirit energy being imbued into me for a while, I got quite some benefits from it.  Even a special title, which was essentially useless, but good when training waterbending.

[Blessed by the Moon and Ocean Spirits]

It also lets me heal faster when in water. I don't think they meant to do anything like a blessing, but their energy did technically empower me.

So they somewhat did lend me their power. The original plan was to trap them inside my body, not only would they have been safe in there, but I would have gotten Avatar-level waterbending.

That plan is no more, due to the way things are playing out now. You can't predict people's reactions, especially the Moon and Ocean Spirits, as I knew next to nothing about them.

Once outside of the cave that led to the spirit pond, I could feel the cold air hit my face. My clothes were still somewhat wet, so I should have gotten Katara to take care of that.

But right now, she wasn't in the right state of mind to do so. It was better to leave her alone for now. 

Walking down the street, I saw people praying to the Moon and Ocean Spirits while bowing down and then celebrating. 

What foolish behavior. If it wasn't for me, or the threat to their wellbeing, the Spirits wouldn't have even moved.

Humans in this world need to come to their own terms and take care of their problems. 

If they had done that from the beginning this whole Fire Nation mess wouldn't have happened.

Well, it wasn't my job to fix their mind. Nor did I care to.

Walking through one of the corners, without drawing too much attention. I arrived in an abandoned alley, and did some hand seals, I made a water clone. 

Zabuza has been strangely quiet in the Multidimensional Chat. By now I had hoped that he would at least say something. For now, I don't have the time to try and coerce him into talking more.

There's probably a reason why he is quiet, and sooner or later, I will figure it out.

But for now, I had to go and deal with Azula. My plans with her aren't done yet. Normally I would feel a tinge of guilt manipulating someone like that, but for now, there's none. Since this should stop Azula from going down the path she originally went.

***
-Azula-

The burning pain in my stomach kept me awake all night long. By now the ships had set sail for the Fire Nation, and I hadn't gotten a proper wink of sleep during it all.

Even the expensive sheets and mattress were of no help, as it felt like my organs were being melted off.

"Tch, there you go, pushing yourself too much," I felt like Kuzon was next to me, saying what he would normally say.

My mind was a bit cloudy, and I hadn't slept much due to the pain. Or else if he was here, then someone would have notified me.

Damn, am I feeling guilty for leaving him behind? Yes, I am. But staying behind in that situation would have ended up in my death and the army's destruction.

Sorry, Kuzon. 

"Those wounds are bad, probably will get infected if someone doesn't take care of them soon. The people in this ship are too busy bouncing around to notice that their princess is slowly dying. Do they even know what an infection is?"

Suddenly, a comfortable, but cold water-like substance touched my wounds as the bandages were slowly and gently taken off.

I slowly opened my eyes and was greeted by the dim light of the candles in my room.

Sweat rolled down my face as I saw something that shouldn't have been anything more than a dream.

Kuzon's face scrunched in concentration as he manipulated water that shined a little and infused in my wound. The heavy injury was closing up quite fast. 

Ah… so he was a waterbender. That's a shame… 

Suddenly his gaze turned towards me, and I saw his eyes widen in surprise. Undoubtedly because he had been found out.

His water splashed on the ground as it went out of control.

"Uhhh, could you forget that you saw that," he said while awkwardly smiling at me.

"No…" I muttered, barely able to speak.

Shit, I shouldn't have said that.

Instead lying would have been better, that way he might have at least let me live. My mind was too tired to think straight. 

"Is this how I die?" I asked him.

Someone like Kuzon probably was skilled enough to make it look like I died of sickness. So this question of mine was quite stupid.

He sighed, raising the water again.

This is it… here I will die, in a dark room with no one to look over me.

At least I won't have to face father's anger for failing this mission, so that's a plus. "So? Will my death be painful?"

He nonchalantly stared at me. I always hated how he  never seemed to be worried about anything. As if he knew the future and was willing to accept losing.

32