Chapter 88 – I might be a princess, but am still human
724 1 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***
-Azula POV-

What was I doing? I had no idea. But knowing what would happen if I went back home, it was time for a change of scenery.

Looking at Kuzon's calm face as he was dragged away by the guards, I made sure to keep my demeanor as calm as always.

That guy could read people as if they were open books. Still, seeing how calm he always is, was kind of irritating. 

"Everyone leave, except Ty Lee and Mai," I muttered, making sure to keep my tone icy cold. Though even then, I noticed that people were no longer as scared of me as they used to be.

As expected, the situation was only getting worse. 

Kuzon was right, there was nothing left for me. Chasing after empty bubbles now was useless.

I peered into Ty Lee's innocent eyes and Mai's emotionless ones.

How many people in this world cared about me? I would be happy if there was even one. 

Now that I could fight back if anything happened, I needed to ask my 'friends' if they were really my friends.

"I am planning to run away."

My statement shocked Mai, which was expected. She knew what was implied here, and I wanted her to run away with me.

Her family would face some problems when that happened. So her choice was more difficult than Ty Lee's, whose family wouldn't be influenced that much, and they hadn't had that contact with her either way.

But Mai was a different deal.

"I won't take you forcefully, but when I run off somewhere I don't want you to tell anyone where I might go. Or fight against me."

Well, Mai could try fighting against me, but it wouldn't go that well for her. I had taught both of my friends that lesson when we were young.

"I…" Surprisingly, the one who seemed hesitant was Ty Lee. "Sorry, but if news got out, then my circus crew would be imprisoned. Just for having a relationship with me."

Mai nodded too. "Sorry, Azula, but something like that could spell doom for my family. Especially since my father is someone easily replaceable to the Fire Lord."

Well… seems like no one was with me after all. Even Ty Lee was hesitant to join, this will be harder than expected. It made me feel a little nervous. 

"Do you need some help?" suddenly Kuzon's voice interrupted my contemplation and surprised the two, as he was supposed to be in prison.

His dark clothes, perfect for hiding in the shadows, riddles as he walked into the room, closing the door behind him. There was no sign of struggle, so he had probably taken out the guards before they could even react.

"What?" he asked, noticing the icy gaze I was sending him. "You would have broken me out anyway, right?"

He… was right.

Damn, Kuzon was too perceptive sometimes.

In such a short time, he had probably figured out my plans by now. Erm, how am I supposed to act now? The flamey glow in his eyes showed that he was amused by the situation, and I don't know why but his expression made my heart beat faster. 

I wanted to tie Kuzon up and have him dress in a servant's outfit. He would look good in it, especially with his midsection exposed. No, wait, I need to think clearer, can't let myself be distracted by such devious thoughts.

"No," I lied to him. "I wasn't planning on letting you free. The journey would have been easier if you weren't around."

Oh God, I am saying stupid things without meaning them.

Hopefully, he doesn't take that the bad way.

Should I tell him that was a joke? No, no, he would see me as weak if I said something like that. Can't have him learn more of my weaknesses.

"Well, seems like I will have to continue bothering you for the rest of the journey," Kuzon's smile slipped off his face a little, even though he sounded as if he didn't mind what I said. 

No, no, no, no. I hope he didn't take that the wrong way. 

The anxiousness grasping at my heart made me stop logically doing things. Maybe he would like girls like Ty Lee more? Her breasts are bigger, and also she was easier to speak with. 

I knew how difficult it was for people to interact with me casually.

"I…" I wanted to say something good about him, how much I appreciated him for healing me and taking the risk of revealing his bending, knowing that would lead to a dangerous situation. All just for me.

I am so thankful, so please hear me. "...You're not that much of a bother."

Does that sound too arrogant? I can't tell what he is thinking, but hopefully, he doesn't see it in a way that I am unappreciative of his efforts and everything he has done for me.

"Who do I feel like there is something I am in the dark about here? Also, how did you heal so fast, Azula?" Mai inquired, it seemed like she was unable to hold in her curiosity and cautiousness anymore.

Though Mai was my friend and I used to trust her quite a bit. By how she has been acting recently, I can't trust her that much-

"Oh, I am a waterbender and use my healing abilities to help her," Kuzon answered nonchalantly, without missing a beat.

The way he said it seemed like he was walking about the weather, and not something that could get him imprisoned.

What the hell is he thinking?!

I had to try my best and keep my expression neutral. Acting enraged, surprised, or showing any type of weak emotion, for now, wasn't something anyone should do. 

"Also you guys can come with us too," Kuzon suggested, manipulating the water in a cup next to my bed and morphing it into the shape of a ship. "After all, people get lost at sea all the time. Azula isn't going to betray anyone or run away. Instead, her ship will fall into the storms and get lost. She and her friends will be missing. This way, Ozai won't be able to do anything to your families, nor will he care to hurt them."

I… didn't think of that. Ships get lost in storms all the time and get destroyed. This way, I would also be able to still keep my royal power if I decided to come back one day, and won't be declared a traitor like Zuzu.

Focusing on Kuzon, I see him smiling widely with an innocent look on his face.

Sometimes I forget, but this guy is smart, probably a better strategist than even me. His innocent acts and silly words make one underestimate him.

"You're smart, it's kinda scary how good you are. Even without ever meeting my father, you can correctly guess how he will react."

Hearing my words, Kuzon peered at me with a smile on his face that kept widening and proudly puffed up his chest. "Of course, I am a goddamn genius seen once in ten thousand years."

Yes, those kinds of words always made people underestimate him. His bragging that he didn't seem to even believe himself. What a strange guy… I know quite a lot about his childhood from back in the day when we met and played those games.

But, he is an enigma, something that I can't understand.

What's going on behind that happy, cheerful smile?

"Kuzon, what's your goal? What do you gain from this? I thought that at first, you might be after authority, but now…"

He was whispering something to Ty Lee that made the girl chuckle when he heard me. Turning around, he gave me a thumbs up. "My goal? I just want to reach a happy ending to my story. I will do everything to reach happiness. It doesn't matter how many people I had to step on to achieve that self-satisfaction. I will kill someone's parents today but then feeling bad for the kid, I will raise them. I don't want the world to change me. Instead, if there's something I don't like in the world, then the world should change instead of me."

"Wow," Ty Lee exclaimed in surprise. "You're the most self-centered person I have seen. You know that the world doesn't revolve around you, right?"

Though she said that jokingly, it was clear that Ty Lee meant those words. Kuzon didn't seem to take offense to that and instead laughed. "Hahahaha, you're so right. I am the most self-centered person in the world. My selfishness knows no bounds."

Ty Lee frowned at that.

Oh, right, she had a crush on him. Kinda forgot that. Still, will she like him now?

"Anyway," Kuzon dismissed the looks he was getting. "I will tell everyone here the plan and Ty Lee, Mai, you can decide for yourselves if you want to come with us."

36