Chapter 94 – Stalemate
629 0 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapters in advance in Patreòn
Pa treon.com/HolyJoker
(20+ chapters in advance)
****

Sokka put the idea on the back of his mind and planned to experiment with it later.

Unlike others, he wasn't worried about any physical deformity, or anything he might get if this fails, because with [Gamer's Body] he only needs a full night of sleep and most effects will disappear. Still, for now he decided to keep such things for later on in life. 

Sokka didn't want to test just how effective Gamer's Body and what its limit was. Now wasn't the best time to say the least.

Kiwi kept performing its tricks, before suddenly jumping towards Katara and running into her arms shyly.

Sokka smiled at the cute fluffy creature. 

"Spirits love remarkable things," Sokka commented, his eyes closing as he smiled in a friendly manner. General Fong listened to his words carefully. "The Northern Water Tribe likely had a general, or someone from a long time ago, so long that even books don't write about him."

[<Acting> Skill activated]

Sokka made sure to associate this nonexistent legendary figure with General Fong.

People always liked to compare and see themselves as something great, special, and destined. Especially people in a world where destiny seems so prevalent. 

"Honorable Sokka, do you know what things should be done for a spirit to follow you?" General Fong had fallen for a scheme like a fish in water. 

Katara gave her brother a strange look that said: 'You scamming people again?'

Sokka of course ignored such looks from his sister, and instead he played the role of a knowledgeable man and nodded. The nod had a double meaning, both to the General's question, but also to her sister's thoughts that he could clearly read on her face. "Yes, the only way to get a Spirit to become your companion, you must become someone truly revered."

Sokka had no idea what he was spewing out, but with the help of his [Acting] Skill, he seemed confident enough and his words were 'logical' to a certain degree. Also he was the Avatar's friend and companion, people mostly assumed that he knew more than anyone else about the spirit world since the Avatar was the bridge between worlds.

'Everyday I feel the road of a scammer becoming easier to walk. Maybe instead of a Gamer Interface I should have gotten a Scammer System?' Sokka contemplated as he observed General Fong's smile widened as he looked at his hands, clenching them.

The ambition in the man's eyes seemed to burn brightly, like the sun. That was a little worrying.

Of course, the orchestrator of this, Sokka, only smiled politely and drank a small dosage of alcohol.

Katara tried to sneak in and try some liquor too, but he stopped that bad habit before it even started.

He sent her a pointed look, which stopped his sister in her tracks, she pouted. "So what? You're drinking too."

"Do as I say, not as I do," Sokka instructed her with a mock sage-like voice, a small smile making its way on his lips.

"That sounds like something a bad parent would say," Katara wasn't convinced at all by her brother's acts.

Sokka shrugged, not refuting her. The reason he was drinking liquor was to give the illusion that he was more mature than he looked. Of course this wouldn't normally work that well, but he made sure to bulk his body. The original Sokka had a twig-like thin body, but this one had some muscle. Sokka's strength was many times that of an average man, and his body showed that he was more muscular than the average person.

Sokka still wasn't at the level of a body builder, but he was in good shape.

He left the General to come to his own assumptions, and didn't care where his mind went.

Sokka wouldn't even mind it if General Fong decided to take over the Earth Kingdom in the future. Actually, he hoped the General would cause a little bit of a ruckus in the future. It would give him some smoke screen to move around. 

Sokka closed his eyes, imagining chess pieces in his head.

The game is at a stalemate currently. But if life was like chess, things would be a lot more simpler.


As the feast went along, Sokka filled the general's head with whatever the man wanted to hear.

Adding undertones of destiny into play, and how we must sometimes try and make our own destinies to fulfill our purpose in this world. 

Mosly bullshit he only half-belives and sounded right in the ear.

***
The dim moon shone in the sky, as Sokka stood in the balcony, looking at the celestial bodies in the sky.

It always made him feel so small when he understood just how big the universe was. 

Turning around from the view outside, he glanced at the luxurious room they had been given for today. Three good beds, and fruits on a table.

Aang was quick to fall asleep, but Katara wasn't. 

While she acted like she was asleep, Sokka could see that she wasn't. He wanted to train a little in secret, like he did every night. But he couldn't do that while she was awake. So he went and sat down next to her bed. "Is something worrying you?"

Katara sighed at her brother's voice, and Sokka saw her curl into herself even more. "Do you think we can win this war?"

The desperation in her voice made it clear that she had been worried about this for a long time.

With a sigh, Sokka got up, which made Katara clance curiously at him.

In truth, even he didn't know if he could end the war. Well, he technically could by going and killing the Fire Lord. But would that end it? What did ending the war even mean? Also could he kill the man? Someone who came from a dynasty who fought against earthbenders that could dig underground.

The likely place he could assassinate the Fire Lord would be in tight spaces, not a lot to dodge from as fire would be blasted at him. A short-sighted idea like that wasn't something he had in mind for now. But it did pop its head whenever he was worried about something or the other.

So many questions, with no answer in sight. By now some colonies have been with the Fire Nation for over a hundred years and essentially become one. Then should we leave them as that, giving the Fire Nation a clear opening in case of an invasion again if this one is stopped?

Ending a war was such a complicated question that even the Avatar wouldn't be able to answer.

"Yes," in the end, Sokka crushed his uncertainties too and instead concentrated on the things he could control. "We will win."

Winning a war and ending it were very different issues. After all, even killing the Fire Lord if the vacuum left in power needs to be filled by someone worthy.

Katara still seemed worried.

So Sokka stopped planning for a minute, and all of his worries slipped away as he went and hugged his sister. "Don't worry about it too much. You have me here, no matter how it ends, I will protect those close to me. I am quite selfish and like to be happy, without caring about others too much."

 "You keep saying that. But in my eyes you're quite kind, even in the Northern Water Tribe, you did all that just to save the lives of Fire Nation soldiers," Katara chuckled as she hugged him back.

Though the time they didn't argue was little and far in between, as siblings they cared for the other. If one fell, the other would be there to catch them. 

'That was a complicated situation, but I understand why she would see it that way.' Sokka contemplated, gazing at the balcony one last time and a small smirk came to his face. 

Not long after that, Katara fell asleep and Sokka went to train his spearmanship. Knowing that soon there will be some big things.

***
The next day's dawn came about quickly, and Sokka spent the whole night training on the roof. No one but Kiwi was there to keep him company. The little fox bathed in the cold night wind that Sokka's spear created. 

"Kyuuu!" She made some cute noises when the sun came up and Sokka couldn't help but chuckle. The little fox rolled around like a cat.

"You cute bastard, think I will start spoiling you like Katara?" He was about to joke around with Kiwi a little longer, but Sokka's attention was drawn away when he saw some commotion in the yard.

'What is this delusional General up to now?'

27