7-3 Healing
1k 6 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My sense of relief and euphoria only lasted a moment before dissipating, replaced by an odd sense of foreboding. I took a second look at my new title, [Creator of Panacea].

It would… be very useful in faking the Champion of Autumn’s blessing.

It was still a thematically relevant effect, but it seemed incredibly convenient. Perhaps it was my paranoia, but I could not shake the feeling that the title had been tailor-made for me. It would certainly make my planned deception easier to sell. The Autumn Champion’s abilities meant they were effectively unkillable, though a cost was definitely associated with it.

I had planned to do my best to avoid being injured in the first place. Then manufacture some super concentrated healing potions to “fake it” if I did get injured. Having this ability would make it a lot easier, considering how difficult and fragile the distillation process had turned out to be. With this title taking over the role of healing me, it would free up a lot of effort and prep time on my end, thus letting me do other things. No matter what, it would certainly make things interesting.

…Yea, this has Adroni’s fingerprints all over it. Didn’t they say they weren’t going to interfere, though..? The Autumn Champion’s ability to recover from any injuries simply by sleeping, even death itself, that was never going to be easy to fake.

The idea that a god was meddling in my life again put me on edge. Granted, I willingly became that particular deity’s champion, but having something forced on me like that was just… it reminded me of what Antenora had done.

I could remove it, probably. I’ve not tried removing a title yet, but it’s part of the class system, so it should fall under the purview of my authority. …But I could also just as easily not use it. Doesn’t really make sense to go out of my way to get rid of it one way or another.

This particular title wouldn’t do anything unless I selected it, and it would make for a very convenient fallback plan, assuming that things went to crap.

“My lady…?” Sasha’s worried trailing voice pulled me back to my senses.

Shit!

“Ah! My apologies; I was enraptured by this,” I highlighted the finished potion, “It worked. As you can see, I am not injured. There was… a bit of a mana pulse, and it startled me.” I put on a smile to reassure her. though internally, I felt bad about the lie.

Sasha gave me a look that said she knew I was lying about the mana pulse but that she wouldn’t pursue the topic; she knew about my rather unique skills and relation to Adroni, but we didn’t speak about that stuff publicly. Especially with my new staff. Even if they weren’t with me at this exact moment, it was best to avoid having a habit of talking about it. We would be less likely to make mistakes that way.

“Please, help me get things ready?” Frieda had gone to get Jacqueline ready and bring her here, and they would be back within the hour; I had planned to have her arrive shortly after finishing.

My head maid nodded, then proceeded to busy herself with tidying things around the room. As for the still itself, I handled it personally. Despite my station and Sasha’s objections, and she had indeed objected, I wanted to handle the delicate contraption personally. A few minutes later, things were tidied up. Just in time; Frieda stuck her head in to announce her and Jacqueline’s arrival.

Suddenly, I was beset by a feeling of trepidation.

I haven’t seen her in a while… I mean, I’ve ensured she’s been taken care of, but I haven’t personally seen her in months. What if she… No, we’ll go through with it. No use fretting over every little detail and possibility.

Frieda wheeled her into the room. She looked… tired but at the same time, content. It was more like she had a rather busy day, and not so much a case of long-term stress. Felicity and Rosial’s doing, no doubt. I greeted her, “Jacqueline, I’ve got something for you.”

Gesturing towards the vial of Goddess’ Draught, I took a deep breath before continuing, “…It should be able to restore your arm and repair your back.”

Her eyes widened in surprise, and she opened and closed her mouth several times before finally answering, “Is… Is that really possible? I know you said you were looking for a way, but something like that… For me? That kind of potion is like something out of the myths and legends. If it is the truth, I am not important enough to use it; you would be best to save it for yourself, or his highness.”

The fact that she had more or less accepted what I told her about the abilities of the potion was gratifying; it meant that at the end of the day, despite everything, I still had her trust.

“No,” I shook my head, “No, I will not save it for myself; I made it for you, and I want you to use it.”

Jacqueline fell silent with her mouth hanging open before sinking back into her chair, “…Why?”

She mumbled something that I barely caught, “...Why do this for me?”

I paused; there was a good chance that my answer to that question would influence whether or not she was willing to take it.

Well, why indeed? Because I feel bad about what happened. Because I want her to be whole again. Because I know that with what’s to come, I’ll like her help.

Things would be fine without her. Ultimately, Jacqueline was just one woman with a particular set of skills. She was useful but could be replaced; her presence was not necessary like the champions’ was. But I wanted her to stay with me. I would be lying if I said it was purely for her sake. It was a purely selfish notion.

“Why you? Because you have been with me since the beginning. You’ve always been there to help me, and I want you to continue on in the future. Especially with what’s to come, I wouldn’t want it any other way.” It was best, to be honest. Of course, I wouldn’t order her to come with me. But honesty would get me what I wanted far more easily than lying to her. At least with Jacqueline, it was the best policy.

Her tired eyes lifted up and met mine, “You are offering me this… miracle because you want me to serve you again. Not because you feel guilt over what happened?”

I nodded. It was true that I did still feel a bit guilty, and probably always would. But this wasn’t really about that, not anymore.

Jacqueline exhaled softly, then smiled, “So you finally stopped blaming yourself… when did that happen, I wonder? Give me the potion, then.”

Wait, really? Just like that?

I blinked in confusion but stepped over to the table. Carefully, gingerly, I lifted the small flask in both hands, then walked back to Jacqueline, “My apologies, Sasha, but this is something else that I will handle personally.”

Jacqueline received the draught from me; her grip shook a small amount. When I went to steady it, Sasha stepped in and held Jacqueline’s arm and hand. Obediently, despite not wholly wanting to, I stepped back. From the point of view of any onlooker, the literally-just-coronated Queen was attempting to hand-feed a crippled commoner maid. Handing her the potion was already borderline of what was acceptable.

Besides, there really isn’t all that much risk of Sasha breaking the flask, and even if she does, it should work just as fine if it simply splashes on her skin. Maybe a bit slower at the very worst… Yea, there really isn’t any need for me to do it…

With the older woman’s help, Jacqueline raised the flask to her lips and drank the contents. Sasha then removed the empty container and stepped back. For a moment, nothing happened. Then, Jacqueline let out a gasp and slumped over.

“Stop! Don’t touch her.” My order was swiftly heeded, and both Sasha and Freida stepped back, “Thank you for reacting so promptly, but she is… fine. I think that it is similar to what happened to me.”

The explanation caused a candle to light in Sasha’s head, and she nodded, “Of course. Should we bring her to her quarters?”

Frieda had never witnessed one of my comas first-hand, so she had no real understanding of the situation, but took her cue from her senior and moved to take the wheelchair away until I again waved her off, “No, I do not believe it will be so long this time.”

I was using my divine eyes and watching a most curious sight; Jacqueline’s mana, long absent from her arm, was beginning to pool at the shoulder, “Loosen her shirt around the damaged shoulder, then get back from her… Avoid touching her skin as much as possible.”

Why didn’t we do that first!?

The two of them did as they were told, and we all watched as her skin began to bubble and froth until the surface had clearly liquified. It bore an uncanny resemblance to the injury that had first caused the loss of her arm, causing an involuntary shiver to run down my spine. Then, Frieda gasped before turning slightly aside, not that I could blame her.

The sight of bones growing out of a skin soup was, in a word, revolting. My own sensibilities were rather skewed such that I personally found it more fascinating, but the real question was why Sasha seemed unfazed. I regarded her out of the side of my vision as muscle tissue and veins began to follow the bony growths. She wasn’t looking on with anything approaching interest, more so boredom.

The skin soup began to drip and run down the limb, appearing as though a slime was attempting to eat it. A few seconds longer and the skin started to harden. Though we couldn’t see it, her back had probably undergone a similar process. A cursory visual inspection confirmed that everything seemed to be in order, but I dared not touch her just yet.

Before much more time had passed, she stirred once, then her eyes fluttered open. Sitting up, Jacqueline peered frantically around the room before exclaiming, “Where, where am I!?” Her eyes seemed to settle on me, “…Alisha…?”

My heart sank; I had been afraid this would happen. Clenching my hands shut, I shook my head, “No, I am not Alisha. My name is Stahlia, do you remember me?”

Goddess Draught was a full restore. A complete heal. A panacea. It would fix not only the body but also the mind. Giving it to someone like Jacqueline, someone with a shattered psyche had borne the risk of… a reversion. If she didn’t remember me, then…

“Stahlia… No, not Alisha, Stahlia. Right. Stahlia Ris, von Ris? Now…”

Hope, hope dared flair up within my heart at those words. She was hesitating, puzzling out each word, but it sounded like she did remember me.

Please.

“Now… von Drakas. Forgive me, there’s so much… Things are, confusing. Who, who’s Tanya?”

I nodded, “I believe that might be your name. Before… before you were Jacqueline.”

The light was beginning to come back to her eyes as though a fog was lifting off from in front of her vision. From those few lines we had shared, I could reasonably assume that whatever lingering mental blocks she still had were gone now; she remembered everything. What that would do to her was anyone’s guess, but surely it would be better than before.

“Relax, and take your time to recover and sort through everything. I will ensure that you are given everything you need.” Jacqueline nodded somewhat distractedly and seemed to retreat into herself, “Sasha, as we discussed before, go with her. Keep me informed of her progress. Frieda, when I have returned to my chambers, please call for my parents… Address my father as such and not by his title; this is a personal matter.”

Hopefully, Jacqueline will have recovered enough to accompany me. Even if not as my head maid, a friend and advisor. Regardless, I need to address the promises made to my sisters… And do it so that my father doesn’t feel forced to agree with me owing to status.

Sasha curtsied, then fixed Jacqueline’s top before grasping the wheelchair’s handles. Presumably, the full recovery included her muscle atrophy, but I had just told her to relax and, after so long in a wheelchair, one more trip wouldn’t hurt anything. Once they had left, Frieda returned with me to my chambers in the adjacent rooms.

Moving is going to be a pain, though it won’t be until after I come back, so I’ve got a bit of time.

Rupert had briefly mentioned that before I blew him off; now that I was coronated, I should be moving into the Royal Chambers with him, but doing it now would be troublesome for both of us. We had decided to wait until after my return from the next major event on my schedule; a diplomatic mission. Now that I had been announced as the Champion of Autumn, it was planned for me to take a battalion of soldiers and a company of royal knights and embark on locating the remaining champions.

And also now my sisters. Why couldn’t I have just said no to them?

Almost immediately upon my return, one of the new maids began preparing tea, in case I should ask for it, and two more busied themselves with tidying things once Frieda informed them we would be having guests.

Count Arrant’s fifth daughter, Count Lardoc’s third, and Count Gremel’s second…? Or is she Count Streichen’s first?

For better or worse, none of the newcomers had made enough of an impression for me to remember their names. Without [Eidetic Memory] to fall back on, things had become a lot harder in that regard.

Which makes me wonder how the hell Sasha remembers them all. Without her informing me ahead of time or whispering in my ear who I was seeing, I wouldn’t have had any clue. And I can’t just keep notes about it so easily if one of these found them and reported back to her parents…

Hopefully, I could purchase the Talent back or at least get [Memorization] again the next time I leveled up. It wasn’t that my memory was particularly bad; it was actually much improved since my resurrection. Aaron’s theory about the problem skills and talents having been incorporated into my body seemed correct. Now that the conflicting Talent had been removed, I was finding it much easier to recall various details and was even beginning to make some progress in re-translating the language used for chanting.

But for whatever reason, names don’t seem to stick in my head. It probably has something to do with the fact that, even if I know it’s important, I don’t care about them enough... For whatever that says about me.

A short time later, while I was idly flipping through a novel without really reading anything, Frieda announced my parent’s arrival, “My lady, Lord Fynn von Ris, and Lady Rosalie von Ris have arrived.”

One of the other maids went to pour three cups of tea, “Thank you, but as this is a personal visit with my parents, I will be taking only Sasha and one knight as escorts.”

To their credit, none of the trio showed any signs of being disgruntled by the admittedly curt dismissal as they filed out of the room. The knights didn’t even blink and simply left one of their number behind. Once I was sure they were gone, I nodded to Frieda, who left to let my parents in. I took a final quick glance at a mirror along the wall to confirm my appearance was in order, only to wince inwardly at the demon’s face that stared back.

Damnit!

There was no time to dwell on it, though, as my parents trailed into the room behind my maid. As soon as the doors were closed, I chanted out the [Silence] spell, then activated a magic tool in the table for good measure. My parents were seated, and Frieda busied herself pouring tea for the three of us while I launched into the purpose of the visit.

“Father, mother, I need to ask permission for something; please, do not let my new station turn this into an order.” Pausing just a moment to let my words sink in, I continued, “I may have misspoken toward Rosial and Felicity; I invited them to accompany me on the upcoming diplomatic mission. Now, I wish to ask your permission to bring them with me… if it is possible.”

The two of them shared a look with each other; it was a strange mix of exasperation and pride. Then my father turned back to me and said, his tone serious, “And are you ordering us to treat this as a request, not an order?”

He actually might have fooled me for a moment if it wasn’t for the smile he was trying his damndest not to allow to spread across his face. The corners of his mouth were twitching fiercely, threatening to reject any attempt at stoicism and rise in mirth.

My mother lightly struck his shoulder, exasperation writ on her face, “By the gods, Fynn, do you not think she has enough to deal with without your antics? Stahlia, as long as you continue to call us mother and father, then regardless of station, you will remain our daughter. No matter how many titles you might acquire.”

Her words struck me a lot harder than I might have expected them to. I fell back in my seat, stunned. Ignoring my state, my now-abashed father spoke, “As far as those two are concerned, I do not believe bringing them out of the country is a good idea. While I appreciate your sentiment, I do not believe it is safe during such unstable times as these.”

My father’s reasoning was sound, though it presented the issue of how to go about appeasing the two of them. Then my mother hit me with a follow-up finisher, “The two of them were ecstatic, you know; they would not stop talking about how excited they were to travel with you. Fynn and I had just finished explaining to them when Miss Frieda’s summons arrived; I think you owe them an apology, but both girls understand that you got ahead of yourself. Now, shall we visit as a family for a time? We shall need to put the masks back on so painfully soon.”

All I could do by way of response was bite my lip and nod while gripping my cup. The fact that my parents had told me no was in and of itself more proof than anything that I was still their daughter. Even if it sucked that I would have to deal with having disappointed Rosial and Felicity, at the very least, it sounded like my parents had properly explained to them why it was a bad idea to accompany me.

I have to remember that they’re both getting older themselves, they might still be kids, but they aren’t children.

What followed was by far and away easily the best hour I’d had in months, perhaps years. We didn’t even do all that much; talk about old times, how Ris villagers were doing, how the new defenses were coming along, how they’d gotten a new Stawri and were looking forward to seeing how he faired with Stil, nothing of any real substance. And I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

 

Next chapter, we depart.


A special thanks to Loliconhanter, Chiyo, TheCrownPrinceOfCrime, and Fost for Beta Reading and for helping to edit this chapter!


New chapters get published every Monday at 11:00 AM UTC-7

Want a notification when they go up?

A place to hang out and discuss the story in real-time or shit post?

More direct access to offer criticism and feedback?

Consider joining the Discord Server

43