Chapter 3: Strange readings
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sylksskra held her breathing as the various breathing holes on her neck stopped their intended purposes. The craft started rocking as the space in front of them started to shrink distorting the view of the void as the stars crunched up and everything became weird as the voidtime itself was warped.

Her ears, antenna and crest feathers drooped as they prepared for the sudden acceleration of the ship, shielded and steady but still unpleasant as it came. The Calkion Drive works by distorting the space in front and behind any type of voidcraft using advanced magnetic and gravitational technology combined.

It worked wonders as a journey that would normally take two full years between 2 systems can instead take a measly 3 days as the space around the entirety of the craft was fully distorted and the camera feed disappeared so the crew doesn’t get distorted or sick from the unorthodox view of the void.

Sylksskra let out a low his as the feeling subsided some ‘It’s always exciting no matter how many times you’ve seen or felt it’ She composed a personal song for herself as she closed her eyes and let herself breathe again, there was queasy feeling and odd rhythmic and unending sound which came with FTL travel as usual but by now that was all old to her.

Then her left ear and antenna perked up as she heard something fun and interesting “So… now that we literally have to do nothing now… do any of you want to play another round of Plutonic Spikers 2?” Someone from the helm sang out and immediately got a chorus of happy chirping as a response.

It was going to be a chaotic evening, not everyone in the craft would be able to join the local 12v12 match having more than 1000 or so souls on board, there were of course dozens of servers for those interested and many in the helm was interested “Have fun guys, this one is a purist single player” She sang her song as she patted a fellow Helm Rider in greeting as she left the helm for her own room.

VR is fun, multiplayer is fun but nothing and I mean nothing beats a good old singleplayer rpg story for Sylksskra as she booted up her personal computer. The large screens came to life as the device opened allowing for an immersive viewing experience as she placed the controller on the controller pad which was just a general leather binder for a mobile computer which is just a more portable shittier one.

Double clicking on the Platform software, she scrolled down her library of games as she looked for the right one ‘Nope, already played, already completed, I wish I didn’t buy this one, oh look I haven’t played this or this or this or actually nevermind I don’t want to reinstall that one’ She composed for a bit before eventually picking one she liked, a game she has played for 10 years ignoring her other unplayed games.

“I’ll mayhaps get to the others eventually” She sang to herself a convenient lie as she booted up the old replayable open world sandbox that has still remained relevant for over 10 years in her homeworld which is a testament to itself since most folks forget about a game after say 2-3 years being generous.

The screen shifted as it switched to the icon of a cog turning slowly but surely as the game loaded up. The cog began turning faster before it fell off signaling the start of the game as the view shifted flowing through the hole created as the iconic song which eases you to hum along started in earnest.

Then she was met with a conundrum, play as some of her old characters or start a new playthrough… she opted for the latter but then had to pick a difficulty option ‘I’m not going to be able to play much… let’s go with easy so I can finish the game quicker’ She composed her thoughts as she hummed along.

She picked the second easiest difficulty because the easiest difficulty is literally so easy that hatchlings can play them and beat the game in just a day. She created her character, picked the stats and traits and loaded into the game as a lost soul recently rescued from taking a watery grave by a passing cargo ship heading into a land filled with death and raked by nuclear fire as her crest feathers rise in delight.

How wonderful it is that this game gives you the option to skip the tutorial and not miss out on anything while at it “Why don’t more games do that, stupid conglomerates and their ‘not’ gambling random loot boxes, how this one wish all can go back to some 100 years prior when nobody knows what a video game was” She sung an annoyed song as she went through the dialogue options in the beginning.

It was at this time that her holo device started to sing its own tune in the background ‘What is it now?’ She composed as she paused the game to go pick up her device from under a pillow “Fallskchrimm is calling, wonder what it is for, probably nothing important” She sang out loud as she accepted the call.

“Hello there sister, may this one inquire you to come to the observation station for a quick duet?” Her brother singing can be heard from the other side “This one is in the middle of something, can’t we wait until after the warp?” She sang with annoyance and confusion clear in her tone as her tail swished.

The call went silent for a moment before heating up “Well yes but now is preferable, what were you going to do anyways? Play that same old RPG game for the hundredth time again?” The singing on the other side got a bit aggressive “Says the guy that only plays mobile games and thinks that fucking film adaptations are the best thing to ever grace Kassia and her four colonies” She sang back her defense in response, her antenna and ears perking as her crest feathers brightened up a bit as it rose defensively.

“…Are you going to come for the duet, this one needs to sing with one such as yourself pretty please” Fallskchrimm sang as Sylksskra let out a low hiss “Fine, this one will make her way to the observation station, the song better be urgent Archivist” She sang in response and agreement “This one loves you, come soon” Fallkschrimm sang from the other side “Love you too” She replied before the call broke.

‘He seldom calls this one to come have a duet with him, Fallskchrimm is usually too focused on his work, what mayhaps changed?’ She composed a song in her head as she just splayed her antenna and ears out for a split second akin to a shrug as he just shoved her device under the pillow.

Songs of questionings can come later, she exited the game and put the computer to sleep as she will be returning soon after she heard her brother’s singing. A few head tilted as normal as she walked through the hallways, it’s a bit hard to not draw attention when one is the packmate of a Senior Helm Ride and one of the Archivist on board.

The praises on how lucky she was to have such capable packmates, the various tail raisings and wagging that signals a happy informal greeting, the miles long stares of awe and the social attention was good at first but then it got annoying and now she just wanted to have some quiet time alone with her pack.

As she entered the observation she noticed immediately the large machinery that allows the craft to transmit and receive various communicative waves from radios to other alternatives. The most striking aspect of the room however is the mainframe which connects to the telescopic sensors allowing the craft to view distant stars or detect other crafts that try to hide by shutting off all power.

She and her brother Fallskchrimm locked eyes once she entered the station proper “Ah there you are this one’s been waiting for one such as yourself Sylksskra, thank you for coming” Her brother sang and greeted her by patting her head with his right wing, a traditional forming way of greeting.

She simply nudged him in the chest with her snout and doing the same with him before singing herself as her crest feathers brightened a bit “So what mayhaps concern you that you need to call upon one such as this? It can’t be too urgent or Rasnessk would’ve been the one to call one such as this one over” Sang Sylksskra as she tilted her head a bit trying to perhaps guess the topic in his mind.

“Ah yes, there mayhaps be a bit of a predicament here where your opinion may matter” He sang to her which caused her to tilt a bit further in confusion as she blinked “Alright, mayhaps you’ll enlighten this one to your predicament than” She sang back splaying her antenna and ears out for a second.

He brightened his crown feathers as he trilled to clear his voice “This one’s been getting these peculiar radio waves for a time now well before the jump obviously from the system we mayhaps be heading toward and well your opinion on the matter would be most welcomed” He sang an explanation as he passed her to the instrument.

She took a look at it before she dropped her head, tail and her crest feathers darkened “Afraid this one’s answer will disappoint one such as yourself, all this one can make out of this is just weird signals from weird star activity or mayhaps it's outlaws” She sang her response as she splayed her ears and antenna out for a moment.

A soft hiss came from Fallkschrimm’s maw as Sylksskra turned to him “Unfortunate, the others came to the same conclusion, this one was hoping that you would have a different solution being one that bear the ranks of Junior Helm Rider and second class Techn-sorry, it slipped this one’s mind that you prefer that to be kept quiet and undisturbed” He caught himself on his song as he composed mid-sentence.

Her breathing gor loud for a singular moment but she calmed down “It’s fine, this one is through that and but anyone would come up with the same bygone conclusion, you sure it isn’t just that?” She singed a question at him “Perhaps but there’s this weird feeling and a few inconsistencies with the readings… this one’s not sure which is why the more opinions the better, no knowing if one is wrong or one is right” He explained with his song as he pauses to compose his thinking.

Sylksskra took another look at the readings of the instrument as she began to compose of a thought “Mayhaps it be aliens?” She chirped up a song and her brother spun around to look at her immediately “Aliens? Truly?” He chirped as his ears and antenna perked up as high as can be, eyes widening in shock.

“Yup!” She chirped affirmatively as she leaned back on the chair “It mayhaps be aliens” She added with a song “That is a fascinating theory, this one must work on it then… what makes you think of Aliens though sister?” He sang a question as she saw his eyes and crown feathers brighten up immensely as they rose in excitement as he began noting it down on hi holo pad.

“Well, radio waves are a more primitive means of communication back in history, might mean they are primitive enough not to find better alternatives like the ones we use today” She sang her explanation aloud “Though it probably is just a weird star even if it's the boring option” She splayed her sensory organs to the side shrugging.

Her brother seemed to take it all in as he is currently composing it all into a usable song “Fascinating, this has been an excellent duet Sylksskra, you can leave now if you want” He sang as his crown feathers brightened “Very well, you can always find this one back in her den dear brother” She sang as she lightly lowered her head and tail before turning to leave the observation station.

Before she fully left, she leaned back to see her brother started to organizing his sheets and instruments of research in order to compose something from her song ‘Good for him, glad this one is of any use to one such bright mind such as himself’ She thought as her crest feathers brightened and she left for real.

As she neared a corner her ears perked as she heard some singing and her heart stopped for a moment “…Sylksskra is pretty lucky wouldn’t you agree?” A distant song from around the corner perhaps ‘Are they singing about this one?’ She composed as her heart skipped another beat.

“Suppose so, her pack mates are a Senior Helm Rider, an Archivist and a High Constable whilst she’s just a Junior Helm Rider, she’s pretty lucky if you would ask this one” A response was sung “Yeah, pretty sure she’s the slacker of the pack, every pack has one, even one with only 4 members, she’s lucky is all”

“This one would be careful about that, she’s been striving to improve herself on the helm, it’s surprising that she’s actually not a 1st class Helm Rider, maybe her brother is stricter on her, makes some sense, a master would want an apprentice to be better than them or so the scripture of the Glow says” A suggestion sang out “Since when were you so religious… but still a shame that the pack only has 4 members, 6 would be low but 4 is just… weird you know” The song rang out and her heart sank further.

She silently rounded the corner and the duet stopped as they saw her, a gentle informal greeting occurred as she made her way back to her room as the 2 just scurried out of sight. She threw herself down on her den mindful not to crush her holo device ad tightly squeezed a pillow thankful that they were made of material resistant to the damage that her claws might have inflicted upon them.

Accusations against herself roamed around her head as she covered it with a pillow ‘…This one is a mess… always has been and always will be’ She composed as she clenched harder ‘…Taulmirr, Bavvenn, Duxxasr, Minissnsk… Why did it have to be them! Why not this one!’ She nearly cried out as she bit into the pillow the broken glass like teeth actually breaking the surface as she muffled the outburst.

Eventually, she calmed herself down as she laid there and procured her holo pad “Idiot, why did you get overly dramatic from just simply that… this one is a complete utter idiot” She sang out a somber song as her crest feathers usually quite vibrant have dulled pass even black when displaying dullness.

“This one does not deserve to be a helm rider, much less a technomancer… Rasnessk is too trusting and forgiving” She sang to herself as she opened the void viewer app scrolling for something from the downloads section that might cheer her up “They say you should get help but… helping this one would only be a burden for those willing enough to carry… may the Glow and all those back at the homestead forgive this one for her many sins…” She somberly sang quietly as she laid there in her room coping by watching random videos on her own.

0