Chapter 6: The approach
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The amount of excitement on the helm of the voidcraft as it sat there motionless in front of the can be described as a freaking powder keg. They as in the crew of the KCN Valitasiea were now the first ever people to ever discovered other intelligent life and primitives for that matter which was exciting.

Sylksskra was similarly excited as she watched the strange cities and buildings however small through the highly advanced telescope from the observation station “What is that?” She asked as she pointed towards a large streamlined object flying through the skies of an alien world with 2 engines.

“That appears to mayhaps be a form of aerial vehicle of some sort, you know like the ones we have on Kassia, Eastahi or Vahai where the atmosphere is suitable enough for regular powered flights, their planet seem to fit that description” Fallschrimm sang his composed theory as everyone stared at the screen in awe “Alright people it’s time we ought to mayhaps do something” Rasnessk sang suddenly.

Everyone got back to work immediately as the song rang out as they turned off the footage and got back to the various stations “Very good, first contact is an exciting prospect but this one is content that we’re all professional here so now we shall discuss what we mayhaps do” He added as his crown feathers brightened considerably upon seeing the act.

“First off we need to report on our discovery back to Kassia and the closest research stations, 6th class Helm Rider Leorissk, you mayhaps have the honor” He commanded as the Helm rider by name straightened up with a flick of the tail and antenna before rushing to the communications station.

“For the rest of you, this one would like for all to stay at your stations and make sure nothing goes wrong whatsoever, this is the worst time for a mechanical malfunction and so make it not happen” He continued his song and command as the others did the same gesture as they continued their work.

Then he turned towards her and she turned back to her instruments and started prepping for the inevitable order “Junior Helm Rider Sylksskra, mayhaps you could enlighten us to a charted course towards the planet in question” She confirmed the action as he sang her orders.

“This one plotted a course that takes the craft into a long orbit around the planet and its sole accompanying moon, this one estimate that the trip will take no more than a day at most” She sang as she double-checked her instruments to make sure she didn’t mix up anything like before ‘Never again shall this one make another mistake however small, however minor’ She sang to herself as she checked.

“Very well Sylksskra, it is this one’s pride and joy that everything seems to be running according to procedure, does anyone have any enlightening to do with any faults in the system or the ship?” Rasnessk sang a question and immediately a few tails were raised as the minor problems got sang.

“The electromagnetic shields are running at only 95% efficiency which was lower than before the jump to the system” Someone pointed out in song “Good detail, make sure the Technomancers get an ear on your song, nobody wants sudden shield failures” He agreed and calls for action.

Sylksskra let out an exhale as she checked up on one system that seems to always malfunction in some capacity and this time it was predictable as usual “Pardon, the 3rd engine is slightly hotter than the others again at dark green, mayhaps some soul get that?” She sang out as all eyes fell upon one particular rider “Hallksinn did you hear?” Rasnessk chirped as he called out the Helm Rider by name.

“Alright fine, this one will go get the Technomancers as per usual” He announced as he exited the room ‘We really ought to look up on that ole engine when we get back to a voidstation though with this discovery, that looks to be far away’ Sylksskra composed as she let out a low hiss.

Rasnessk seem to also let out a similar expression before he sings “Alright people, this one is sympathetic that we will definitely not be home for Frojjgrimmskr on this year. It is important that we do our best and so there will be no fooling around got it?” Sung Rasnessk as he eyed her in particular.

Sylksskra let out a sheepish trill as all eyes darted back to the stations and instruments with the voidcraft moving steadily towards a planet called Earth ‘Hopefully with some luck, their kind hasn’t consumed too much alien invasion media or it mayhaps be chaotic, this one can’t imagine what would’ve happened if alien crafts appeared in orbit of Kassia back in the days’ Sylksskra composed her hope as she worked.

 

“Well… everything’s a complete utter chaotic shitshow right now” Phil announced as he cracked open a cold one “Why do you say that?” Ellie asked with some confusion in her face “Have you not watched the news or go on any social media websites as of lately? You’re lucky if that’s the case” He asked with a questioning glare as he sipped his drink.

“Phillis, you know I don’t care about the news much and I don’t really use social media websites at all” She answered with a certain playfulness “Well you should, it’s mostly a dumpster fire but there is good in it even if you have to dig through flaming garbage” Phil advised as he chugged down the soda can.

Ellie seem to think about it for a little while before just going “Gonna pass, I need to look at the cute and not so safe artwork people have been drawing to theorize the aliens” She announced and ran off before Phil even had a chance to remind her that they should be researching penguins right about now.

‘You know what, this might be the last day or week of my life and of humanity if the aliens are genocidal, who cares about researching penguins right about now? Actually… I care but still what’s wrong with taking a day or two or 7 off’ He figured as he shrugged and went for the couch again.

Clicking on the remote he was thrown in the center of a news network currently reporting about the widespread looting, panic in the US alone. The reporter on seen whom was in body armor for their safety is talking about the riots whilst a shirtless naked guy keeps spouting about it being the end with a cardboard drawing of an alien squid on it in the background as cops tackled a different guy.

He clicked on the remote and into another news channel, this one was calmer as it seems to be from the UK, of course a lot of people are still on the streets rioting or looting but a lot more are just simply there enjoying tea and viewing the whole alien stuff as a minor nuisance for the most part.

Another click and back to anarchy as riots seem commonplace in China, Russia, most places in the world minus the Japanese for some reason though the average businessmen from the country are probably used to seeing their country in ruins in media and are too busy with work stuff to care about aliens.

‘Watch the aliens be gigantic venomous snakes or something, at least then the Australians will find a worthy foe’ Phil stomached the thought as the channel suddenly switched to another one which seems more important than the other news he was just watching as the anchor cleared her throat.

“It has been confirmed by observatories all around the world that the alien craft has been spotted moving towards Earth itself” The report was given as Phil arched an eyebrow “In other news, the UN has deployed peacekeepers to reduce panic across the globe…” It went on about how everyone should be calm and anticipate the arrival of the aliens rather than panic and loot stuff of off shelves.

Of course, this would probably only incite people to do the complete opposite and do even more looting and hoarding then normal “They really have to stop saying that stuff, it’s like they’re doing it on purpose for fuck’s sake” He muttered as the news show a gunstore that went out of business because there were no more guns to sell as the panicking public had already bought them all and hoarding ammunition.

‘This is somehow worse than the time everyone was hoarding toilet paper’ Phil thought as he turned off the television “So, the world all went to shit right?” Matt asked standing in the doorway “Yeah, unless you’re from Japan or something everywhere has gone to shit” Phil answered as he cracked open a soda.

Matt sighed as he went to sit down next to Phil “Look, tell me the truth here, you’re more well versed in internet customs and culture than I am, what do you think would happen if that ships gets here in orbit of Earth?” Matt asked out of the blue as he picked up a soda can as well.

Phil took a moment to drink and think through the question before responding “The ship seems pretty small though that might be because they’re just that far away… I dunno, it seemed like a scout or exploration or science vessel to me, maybe they’re just as surprised as we are” Answered Phil.

“Figures, perhaps they’ll be happy to talk, negotiate trade and may be willing to help us along because god help us, we ruined our planet” Matt said as he took a sip “Yeah, that would be nice, a clean source of energy, something to help fight off climate change… all of those” Phil mused as he thought about it for some before just shrugging “Probably not, who would give out free technology?” He asked smirking.

“You are true about that, I’m just hoping they’re not the war liking kind, I keep panicking and thinking about my sis and what if this really is the end of humanity” Matt exclaimed as he panicked a little “Definitely, warrior cultures are so oversaturated and boring and makes no sense whatsoever, how can you get to space if your entire culture evolved around martial prowess?” Phil asked as he agreed.

“Don’t actually answer that, you can’t… still we’ll just have to wait and see what types of aliens they are” Phill mused as he stared at the ceiling “Perhaps they’re cute and fluffy but then they’ll have it easier if they do try to invade us and nobody can shoot them or nothing” Matt suggested “Yeah… let’s just hope they’re not cute, fluffy and blood thirsty because we’re doomed if that happens” Replied Phil as he gulped down his entire can of soda in one last gulp ‘No cute fluffy space raptors please’ He mentally added.

 

“So what do we do when we get into orbit? How would we contact them?” The songs of question were starting to bug Rasnessk as they kept on coming “There are no guidelines or anything to facilitate the first contact nor any procefure, we simply do or best” He sang back as he let out a low hiss.

It would be quite the spectacle if the native aliens spoke the common song dialect but that would be incredibly weird so it would be much more likely that they have their own weird way of communication ‘How do we start with explaining to them that we come in peace’ He composed as he tapped his foot.

“Mayhaps they’ll be happy like us to see that they are not alone in the void” Sylksskra sang her theory as she bumped him with her nuzzle “Unlikely, mayhaps they are one of those warrior cultures that pride in combat or mayhaps not but they can have a wide variety of cultures” Sang Rasnessk in disagreement.

“This one pose the theory that they might not even be united in whole yet, the Confederacy holds a lot of sway but the nation states still exist in a sub national level and that took decades after the first voidcraft left the system, they could be similar” He proposed the theory as the others looked on.

Sylksskra tilted her head as she let out a singular trill “What if this isn’t their homeworld, mayhaps it be a colony still developing?” She sung her thoughts in song “Suppose so but that is rebuffed by the factor being no stations and no other voidcraft in the system” Rasnessk sang the debunking.

“Still… alright how are things going with the Archivists with the radio signals and all?” He asked as he flipped down his speaker antenna “Their transmissions are weird, mixture of mathematical formulas and weird singing that doesn’t even rhyme or anything” The song came through the ear receptor.

His feathers darkened as he shook his ears sunk “Tell them to continue on with their work, if nothing comes of it and we need to show the aliens our intention, ask them what technology we can give that will be useful for them and not dangerous for us” He sang into the antenna and got a quick chirp.

‘That should do, hopefully the aliens don’t panic to much if we are the first they ever encounter, wouldn’t want to rely on the craft’s maneuverability to keep us safe’ Rasnessk thought as he sat down on his station checking up on the charted course again before composing an order through the device.

“Sir this one is back to report that the 3rd engine is back on green again, the Technomancers still have absolutely no idea what is causing the minor overheating” 1st class helm rider Hallksinn returned as he sang “Return to your station for further orders” Rasnessk sang an order with a glance and it was done.

He let out a low hiss as his darkening crown feathers brightened a bit and they begin to rise some “If we have any sort of luck whatsoever, the first contact should go smoothly and we can delay until an actual diplomat gets here, but for now we’re on our own and this one wants you all to get that into your head got it?” He sang and a chorus of affirming chirpings rang out in response.

Rasnessk’s crown feathers brightened ‘Good’ He mentally composed as the voidcrafted drifted slowly towards Earth itself with small seldom sparks sometimes flying out of the 3rd engine though with all attention gathered to the planet with intelligent life, there was none to witness.

0