Chapter 11: The calm before the snowstorm
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sylksskra took a deep breath as she took stock of the in atmospheric voidcraft she was going to soon pilot ‘6 years of food supplies for 3 people… checked, enough fuel for 5 separate take offs and landing based on the gravitational force of the planet below… checked’ She ran through the list on her holo pad.

‘This is huge Sylksskra, this is your most important mission as off yet, this one can do it so make sure nothing goes wrong and nothing is lost… let’s go back to the beginning to make sure’ She nervously composed as she went back to the beginning of the list again ‘Okay, all the instruments fo-’

“Sylksskra” The chirping from behind startled her out of her trance as she managed to catch the holo pad that she flung into the air by the barest of margins “…By the Glow, you nearly scared the soul out of this one Lorrisskr” She sang as her sister in question just splayed her ears and antenna out in a shrug.

“Sylksskra, you are particularly tense about this whole thing, this one just wants to make sure you’re ready for this operation” Sang Lorrisskr as she went and wrapped her own tail with Sylksskra’s “This one is ready for it, it’s also the most important thing that this one will do so to best be prepared is to make sure that nothing is lost, missing or undersupplied whatsoever” She responded with her song.

This doesn’t seem to assure Lorrisskr enough “Look, this one knows that you are particularly interested in this little operation, this one is too and is happy that Senior Rasnessk gave an opportunity for this one to come but you should make sure you are absolutely fine for this” Sang Lorrisskr as she gave a worried look “This one is fine, we had this duet before” Sylksskra reminded as she let out a low hiss as her sister kept glaring at her ‘Yeah no, no lying here’ Sylksskra composed as she took breath.

“Okay, this one isn’t that fine, mayhaps this one is feeling very worried about this from the pressure that is the future being dependent on our actions but it is fine, this one knew that, just that the pure pressure is… something new” Sylksskra sang the truth as her ears and crest feathers drooped.

“So, you want to go on a diplomatic parley which could change the trajectory of history and you did not think much about the pressure that that would put in you?” Lorrisskr asked as her antenna started to inch closer “Basically, yeah pretty much, this one is an idiot sometimes” Sylksskra sang a reply.

Sylksskra scratched the back of her head with her right wing as she watched her sister take a couple of heavy breaths “But this one is fine, it is something that this one can do and excel in, just need to calm down and take stock on all the supplies after all” She quickly added as she let out a short nervous trill.

Her sister glared at her for a bit before letting out a low hiss “Alright, this one will trust that you have this situation under control and that you shall mayhaps not give into panic for now” She sang as she shook her tail with her ears drooping ‘Thank you’ Sylksskra mimed a chirp as she just simply let out an affirming chirp “You should also get some rest, let the others take stock” Lorrisskr advised.

She put that thought on for a moment “You know what, fine this one can let that occur, the stress is getting into this one and the parley isn’t going to happen immediately or anything, we just sent out the transmission virtually just a moment ago, the aliens would probably want some time to think about the location and occasion” She sang as she let out a full trill as Lorrisskr seem contented from the reply.

“We should get some food, some twice baked Garrosk seem nice for now” Lorrisskr recommended “Yeah, this one would like to have some nice foodstuffs as well, it is time for it after all” Sylksskra sang an agreement, crest feathers rising in excitement as there was a thud from the door to the airlock.

A song of cursing can be heard from the other side followed by a lot of banging “Don’t worry, this one will be there to sort your predicament shortly” Sylksskra sang as she went over and kicked the supposedly automated door in a particular spot for a couple times before it opened.

“Ah Fallkschrimm, what mayhaps this one do for one such as yourself?” Sylksskra sang as he entered the craft “Yes, the door system on this voidcraft needs to be replaced altogether” He sang in response as he entered the craft fully “Well these types of ships are known for their crappy door systems” She sang as her crest feathers brightened up a bit as Fallkschrimm just rolled his ears in subtle response.

Lorrisskr came into the conversation with a clucking “Well that’s beside the point, this one wanted to learn why you’re here in particular brother” Sang Lorrisskr as Fallkschrimm put his head to thought for a moment as he just splayed out his ears and antenna in a ‘I don’t remember’ kind of way.

They both sighed at this “You can’t keep forgetting things when you’re an Archivist, it’s your job to remember and archive things in general” Lorrisskr sang as she rubbed the bridge of her snout “Yea-Oh right! We have very bad news, the aliens transmitted that they want to parley as soon as possible!” He sang immediately as everyone got into a frenzy of work after a moment of sudden realization.

“This isn’t the type of stuff you just forget, but why now though? The aliens only received the message an hour ago!” Sylksskra sang as she raced for the cockpit “This one has absolutely no idea, maybe they thought we meant we want it now and not later?” Came the response through the ear receptors and Sylksskra had to kick through the doors to the cockpit and turn on the comms system and getting an immediate response from the other side.

“Sylksskra, is the craft ready for a hot landing!?” Rasnessk asked through the speakers as she cleared her throat “Affirmative sir, we’ve checked all of the supplies and such, only thing needed is for Lorriskr and Fallkschrimm to enter their respective stations” She sang back as she made her way to the cockpit.

As the instruments were all set, she checked the subroutines and the various systems to make sure everything is all clear ‘All engines green, internal atmosphere stable, electromagnetic shielding test… 94% that has to do…’ She began testing the various important parts of the craft.

“We’re all set to go sir, requesting permission to exit the hangar deck” She sang into the comms as Rasnessk sang back “Affirmative, confirm with the Hangarmaster first before you leave and have a safe trip… this one wish you all well” Sylksskra sang nothing back as she readied the engines and the thrusters ‘May the holy Glow grants us a safe journey ahead and back’ She silently prayed.

“Hangarmaster Ralkshrak, requesting permission to begin the mission” She sung her request into the comms system of the voidcraft “Negative Helvatask-1, the mass ejector still needs a minute to charge, re-check your systems and subsystems for insurance” The reply came as her crest feathers darkened.

‘Okay, this one has a minute, let’s go and make sure there are no mistakes whatsoever’ She composed as she checked her systems “Lorrisskr, how are the armament and defense subsystems looking?” She asked through the comms “All green, none are of code Davunn, may the Glow bless us in our endeavor this particular day” Came the response in song.

“Fallkschrimm, how are the lab instruments, airlocks, medical systems and translation instruments appearing?” She sang another question through the comms “All good here as well, this one cannot see any faults upon any area whatsoever, go make sure the piloting and craft systems are all in place again” He reminded her as she checked up on the computer diagnostic ‘All green, no code Davunn’

She took a breath before speaking into the comms again “All craft systems and subsystems of all kind are green, Hangarmaster Ralkshrak, this one would like to enlighten upon a permission to begin the mission” She sang into the comms as nothing but silence was returned a moment before it came to life.

“Affirmative Helvatask-1, you are clear for launch, we shall engage the magnetic mass ejector and may the Glow in its holy light bless you all” Came the song from the other side as Syksskra braced herself before opening up the glass to a blue button “Ready for launch in 3… 2… 1… LAUCNCH!” She chirped as she slammed the button with her claws, the entire craft shaking as it blasted out of its mother craft.

She turned to the side to look at the rapidly disappearing voidcraft that she entered the system on, the KCN Valitasiea before turning to the blue and green planet before, making slight adjustments to the few minor errors in computational pathfinding ‘Now… our fate is up to the Glow to decide’ She composed as she lead the Helvatask-1 to its destination, a randomly placed coordinate in Antarctica on Earth.

 

“…So, you now know what you must do mister Phillis Evergreen” The agent on the other side confirmed as Phil scratched the back of his head “Yeah, yeah, greet the aliens, try not to catch alien diseases and make sure not to entice them to kill us all before the actual diplomats arrive” He repeated.

There was a sigh on the other side of the line “Sir, this is not a game or a movie, this is real life and you should act that way in front of actual alien visitors” said an annoyed government agent “I know that and I hear you loud and clear but I’m not exactly one of Earth’s finest here” He fired back tersely.

“It is abundantly clear that you are not but this is an unprecedented incident that can change the course of humanity forever and you are right in the middle of it so you have no choice” He was reminded over the phone “I got it, I’ll try my best for the day just make sure the diplomats arrived in time, I don’t trust myself enough to not make any mistakes” He sighed as he truthfully replied.

There was silence for a bit “Look, it will be hard when confronted with the aliens, even we at the government don’t know what they actual look like yet, we’re still deciphering that part but you must be prepared for all” The agent started assuring him as he perked up somewhat.

“You and your 2 coworkers are humanity’s first line to alien diplomacy and we don’t expect you to do very well, we expect you to accidentally do something stupid that the diplomats have to resolve so do not fret about it and no matter what the aliens look like, treat them with respect and actually just pretend that they’re just other humans, that might work” The agent suggested through the line.

Phil gurgled back a laughter before replying “Yeah, that would work if the aliens from the movies and games were actually what they look like, just humans with minor differences here and there” He mocked as he could’ve sworn he had heard a snicker from the other side though it could have been him.

“Sir this is a serious conversation here” Came the response “Right, sorry about that” He apologized very quickly “Look, just act naturally as you always have been, if the aliens call for war because of a common thing that all of humanity do or have than it was a lost cause already” The agent advised as Phil nodded.

“I’ll make sure to represent the best of humanity by doing what I always did normally but with alien observers watching my every move, if they can’t handle the worst of humanity than they can’t handle our best or so the dating app bios say” He affirmed with intent as he drank from his hot cocoa.

It seems as though the agent was content enough with the answer “Very well, the alien craft appears to have exited its mothership and headed towards you as we speak, I will keep up communications through the landlines so make sure you do enough to not cause a war if possible” The agent reminded him.

“Sure, but what if like a massive blizzard larger and deadlier than any other in Antarctica occurred and I’m forced to work with the aliens for a long period of time?” He asked a hypothetical question “Then I assume that you should be ready for a promotion and that your only companions will be your coworkers and the 3 aliens agreed upon” Came the reply after a few seconds of silence.

“That is beside the point though, the craft is entering the atmosphere as we are speaking, make sure you don’t lead any photography or video evidence to the public whatsoever” He was reminded again “Yeah sure, I’ll just teach the aliens how to sing some popular songs then” He jokingly replied.

“Very well, may your meeting with the extraterrestrials prove fruitful and go particular well mister Phillis Evergreen, goodbye” And with that the phone connection was severed ‘Yeah I’ll see you later as well, I guess it’s time to meet the aliens then, hopefully they aren’t little green or grey humanoids’ He thought as he exited his room to find Ellie excitedly getting prepared.

She then spotted him as she rushed over towards him with a wide smile apparent on her face “This is the best day ever, we get to meet aliens for once, oh I sincerely hope they’re cute and fluffy, I want to hug one!” She rapid fire words at him and continues to do so as he zones out.

‘Right, there’s this little problem right here’ Phil sighed as he planted two hands on her shoulders “Look Ellie, this is serious business here s-” “But I am serious, I’ve never been more serious for my entire life, this is an opportunity of a lifetime here Phil” She interjected cutting him off.

“I know you are serious, I just mean that you are a bit too… hyper and loud” He bluntly scolded her on the spot “Oh… yeah that well I can fix that don’t worry a bit I’m just excited, I’ll calm down eventually and I’ll let you and Matt do most of the talking to the aliens” She agreed immediately and with a smile.

Phil took a deep breath “Ellie, you are the one that is supposed to do the talking, you’re the one with the most knowledge about the alien’s own language, you actually spent time deciphering their language and I heard the agent you were talking to give you something to help along yes?” He pointed out as Ellie nervously giggled before sighing.

“Yeah, I did do that didn’t I… look I’ll be okay for the meeting and I’ll try to stay quiet and do absolutely nothing, you can trust me and besides, the aliens already deciphered our language” She gave him the thumbs up as he just stared at her with unblinking eyes ‘That’ll have to do’ He figured before turning.

“Alright fine, help me find Matt and get him ready and… Matt what’s that slung behind you?” Phil asked as he noticed a familiar object slung behind his shoulder as he turned the corner “A gun obviously” Matt truthfully declared as Phil just sighed “NO! No guns!” Ellie screamed all of the sudden.

Phil turned to see her angry for once in a million lives “No guns! This is a diplomatic parley, not a shooting festival or anything!” She declared as she glared at him “Ellie, the aliens, you don’t know them, they could only be pretending to be peaceful, what if they only want to kidnap us and then use our dna to make human clones to kill off the rest of humanity!” Matt interjected from his own views.

The two of them started to argue heavily as Phil palmed his face ‘These 2 fucking idiots’ he grumbled as he got in between the, hands raised to stop the arguing “Both of you shut it, whatever is going to happen then we’ll deal with it when it happens, arguing now only waste time and breath!” He firmly stated with an annoyed, angered tone as both of them looked at him in shock.

“We all go out there in order to wait for the aliens together, no firearms, no fan-girling and no stupidity got it?” He ordered as he got a few quick confused nods “Good, I feel like the only actual adult here in this station at times... the aliens are coming in soon and so we need to go out and greet them soon enough so quit dawdling there and come one” He further ordered as they followed him.

“And drop the fucking gun, Matt!” He quickly added as he let out a sigh of relief ‘Christ, it’s like I’m supposed to be the main character of some shitty novel, the only person whom is actually competent and knows what to do… at least fiction is grounded in realism but not life’ He mentally called out as he exited the research station to seeing a dot in the sky as it steadily was getting bigger.

He stared at it for a good while “If I didn’t know any better than I’d say this was the second coming of Jesus Christ himself” He heard Matt murmuring to his right “Please be cute, please be cute, please be cute” And Ellie’s quiet prayers to the left as he sighed, watching the ship as it came in to land.

‘I swear to whatever beings above the clouds that if these aliens turn out to be the cute space raptors that an internet friend suggested that I will repent and convert to whatever religion the aliens believe in if they have any at all’ Phil promised as he could see the smaller spaceship more clearly now that it was getting closer to the ground itself being sleek, long and winged with 3 engines on the aft, 2 up front and a seemingly jet like, stealth bomber like design with a mix of futuristic helicopter of some sort.

At the moment, all believed that the meeting between the 2 sides would last for maybe a week or at most a decorum as the Helvatask-1 made it decent unto the ice sheets of Antarctica. None could have predicted that the largest blizzard ever seen in Antarctica, bolstered by global warming would come a few hours after, shrouding the continent in a massive storm of ice for 3 long months…

0