Chapter 3 – Part 1
48 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don’t consider my city to be a dangerous one. I have never rushed to my car or glanced sideways as the street lights came on.

I have never had my purse grabbed, and I have been walking to that bank deposit for a long time. The shock that ran through me when I was attacked was bigger than anything I can describe.

A good friend spent the day with me, after the event. My brain half processed the world and moved in slow motion through the afternoon. I understood that in the grand scheme of things it was a small event; I would recover and life would continue the same as it always had.

But in reality, I made her call the doctors for the follow-ups, and double-check the locks on my doors. I drank coffee because I was prone to vivid dreams as it was, and I can’t recall what I ate.

I got lucky, really. Everything was replaceable and my injuries were minimal. Morgan and the other employees would handle the shop for a few extra days, and I would sit in bed. I would nurse my sprain and swollen cheek, and I would try to stop my brain from having panic attacks about leaving the front door.

It was during this time that I realized how much life had really shifted.

I realized what was different.

Nicole had gone back to her normal life, and I was on my couch staring at my T.V. A blanket covered the lower half of my body, and my thoughts were nowhere with a name. A knock on the door blasted through the room, causing me to jump.

I lost my breath, and the surprise caused my heart to start beating faster.

As I sat on the couch trying to regain myself, a secondary knock came rapping on the door. I looked over, realizing that despite my fears- there was likely someone I knew on the other side trying to get in touch.

A heavy sigh left out my mouth. My heart wasn’t cooperating, but it was my last day of sitting around anyways. I needed to force myself back into life, people, and my business. Moving the blanket aside, I strolled across the living room, and opened my door, and found myself staring at both Clarissa and Lawrence.

For a solid minute, my mouth sat open while my handheld the door open.

The two of them stood outside, and before either spoke, Lawrence let out a quiet scoffing sound.

“Can we come in?” Clarissa said, breaking the frozen silence.

I nodded my head and moved aside. I also made a mental note that even here the angry woman seemed unable to state a question politely.

The three of us moved through the house and away from the door, and I gestured at the table for them to sit.

“Samantha,” Lawrence said, folding his hands and resting them on the table.

“I’ve talked to the higher-ups.” Clarissa rushed to speak before he could get to the rest of his sentence. “We know about everything.”

“Everything?” I asked.

“The attack,” Lawrence said, moving his eyes away from me and around the room.

“And,” Clarissa spoke again. This time she straightened herself up and pushed into a more formal tone of voice. “The invitation.

My head tilted to the side, eyes going back and forth between them.

“Are those related?” The question was the only one that would form regarding their statements and overall presence in my home.

“Not directly,” Clarissa began, “But it is believed that you were staked out due to your connection. The invitation…well.” She stopped as if searching for the proper words.

It seemed a bit out of character for her. Every time she had popped up she had a thousand words to say, and never hesitated in what she wanted to say.

“The invitation comes from the council,” Lawrence picked up where she left off. He glanced at her and made an annoyed face before turning back to me.

As it always seemed with the two of them I felt like a child, and after the last few months, I had enough of the feeling helpless and clueless route.

“I gathered that it was an invitation. With it, you know, inviting me somewhere. Who the hell is the council, and why would they make someone steal my purse?” I spoke in a single breath.

Clarissa laughed. “This is what happens when we try to sneak someone into our world.”

Lawrence was smiling despite the dig she seemed to throw at him. “The deals I make…” he started, glancing around for a moment before re-centering himself. “They aren’t usually for my own benefit. All of us immortals-” he waved a hand around at the three of them “We work for the council.”

“The invitation,” Clarissa took over when he paused to breathe. “It’s not a request. You are expected to show up. Everything will make more sense at the Presenting Gala, but for now, we need to know what comes next.”

“We also have a decision to make…”

Clarissa let out another laugh, softer this time and looked over at Lawrence.

I watched them exchange glances and felt my blood begin to boil. “Can we not act like I’m invisible? At least share the joke.”

“You will need a dress. A very nice dress,” Lawrence said, pulling his lips inward to make a straight face.

“You will need to buy a new dress. We advise you to pick one of us to go with you,” Clarissa finished.

She didn’t bother to hide her smile at all.

0