Chapter 17: What makes a Sword King
409 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you ready?”

The sky was still dark as we stood on the top of a cliff overlooking the enemy camp.

The early morning air was cold. Besides the sound of crickets and occasional sounds of monsters, no other sound could be heard as we looked down at the bandit camp.

I nodded at Tessa. He was dressed in the same maid uniform as before. It was just that the blood red halberd in his hand didn’t fit his cute uniform.

I was dressed in a dark cloak and I was wielding my silver sword, Dáinsleif. 

“I will cast a spell as a surprise attack. Please be safe as I cannot focus on your protection at the moment. When they least expect it, slay them.”

I nodded. Tessa already gave instructions to his clone to destroy the other settlement while the wolves will help destroy another one.

Dia was left to guard Lilith’s castle.

Tessa rose into the air and spread out his arms.

‘I forgot how vampires can fly without the need of flight magic.’

The clouds violently started swirling around. Lightning could be heard above the clouds, illuminating the dark forest below the cliff. 

I hurriedly slid down the slope to avoid getting hit by the spell.

“《Thunder Tornado》”

Lightning combined with the cluster of clouds to form its own combination. Tessa swung down his arms. 

Following that, the spell also headed for the ground.

BOOM—!

RUMBLE—!

The entire forest shook followed by a lot of explosions. 

–What the fuck!?

–Enemy attack!

–Guaaah!?

Some were hit by the spell while others ran outside to investigate the chaos. I hurriedly moved when the first guy entered my sight.

“Huh?”

Before he could even scream, I punched his face so hard that it caved in.

“Damn...”

I was sure to hold my power back but it seemed that didn’t work. Did I really get that strong? 

“You bastard!!”

Someone ran towards me with his spear in a thrust motion.

“Shit!”

I was distracted for a few seconds that I forgot where I was.

“Dammit…” 

Soon my body began to tremble as I held onto the sword. I could cleanly slice off his head with a flick of my wrist since the sword is so sharp.

Just one swing, Luther. 

Why was it so hard to swing when I always used to swing my practice sword until my arms felt like they would fall off.

‘The difference is that there’s actually something to strike…’

–Haaah! Haaah!

I suddenly remembered that silver haired boy who would swing a stick around in his free time. Many of my fellow slaves would spend their time on much more productive things like holding their own parties, visiting families or tell stories.

My favourite story was always the one about the Sword King. How he went from the weakest to the strongest. It was said that he was summoned as the weakest hero into this world. 

A normal high school boy as they called him. He was not given any blessings by the goddess who found him useless.

And what did he do?

He showed everyone that power is not given but earned.

That is what makes me positive that I would become strong.

-“What the hell are you doing, kid?”

-“Training!”

-“Pffft. You?”

I ignored everyone’s ridicule and mockery. I didn’t want any obstacles in my life.

It was necessary so I could reach the peak of swordsmanship. To grasp the sword the previous Sword King left behind in this world. They say he left the sword so that one day when the new Sword King emerges, the sword will choose that person.

It wasn’t about finding the sword. The sword will find its successor itself.

Would determination and a will to grow strong make me qualify for such a precious sword said to be the strongest sword in existence?

I unknowingly laughed.

Fuck will and determination. Such things are overshadowed by the true gods among us humans.

Those bastard heroes who received blessings from the gods.

There was never anyone who could become like Siegfried. What the hell are the chances that I could ever?

“…?”

My sword moved with incredible speed. The man had an idiotic expression on his face as his spear fell.

Thump

His head was cleanly sliced off. 

I looked at Dáinsleif. The sword was glowing with a thick silver aura. I felt no resistance when I cut through his bone and skin.

“Will you help me on my path to become a Sword King?”

The sword vibrated slightly in my hands.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

I looked at the hundreds of bandits running towards me in a riot.

The silvery aura spread through my entire body as I felt power well up inside me.

The funny thing was that even though there were so many of them, my god eyes didn’t even activate. 

I could do it. They were so weak that God Eyes doesn’t even recognize their existence.

–Gah!?

I punched the nearest guy against his chest, causing his heart and lungs to explode. His ribcage split his chest wide open causing blood to splatter everywhere.

The second person to reach me swung his claymore.

SHRRRK

My sword cut off its blade along with the top of his head. He collapsed with his brains sticking out.

“Stop!”

All of them stopped when they were a few metres away.

“This guy’s sword is giving off an eerie aura. Watch out!”

The old man commanded the ruffians. 

He stepped forward and wielded his spear.

“We shall duel–“

Before he could even finish, I kicked his head causing it to twist around his neck. His head faced backwards as he fell down to his knees.

“”””…..””””

“All of you should come at once. Her highness Lilith has sent her servant to deliver you to hell.”

All of them had distorted expressions on their faces as they rushed toward me.

“You cocky bastard!!”

Two guys simultaneously tackled me to the ground. Before they could hit me, I crushed both of their faces in my hands before jumping back up.

“What the fuck…”

“Monster…”

“Did he say something about a demon lord…?”

I got into a stance with my sword pointed straight at them.

*

A few minutes later…

“You finished?”

Tessa descended and whistled in awe.

“This many in just a few minutes. Are you okay?”

“…”

“Lord Luther?”

“…Y-Yeah…”

My entire body was shaking as I tried wiping the blood from my hands. It was a moment of adrenaline that I didn’t notice what I was doing.

No. I knew what I was doing but I just couldn’t stop. I wanted to kill them in more horrifying ways.

‘Fuck, don’t tell me that dragon was a violent type.’

If that was so then I may have become part crazy.

“All that’s left is the boss. I was expecting stronger subordinates protecting him. It seems they weren’t at the camp.”

As Tessa finished speaking, I felt a pressure directed at us.

God eyes activated.

This time it was danger.

‘Huh?’

I held my hand over my eyes and followed the red aura.

The trail went towards our right. 

“A dude can’t even catch a few winks. I wake up to find my people this massacred as well.”

A giant man similar to a bear held a great sword on his shoulder. 

Even without being able to check his status, I could tell that he was far stronger than me even if my level was 99. His attack power may be well over a thousand.

That red aura proved it.

When I looked over at Tessa as the man approached, I saw him silently look at me as well.

‘So that means he won’t fight.’

This was my first mission anyway. I shouldn’t expect outside help. The other camp may have been destroyed already.

‘My stamina is high so maybe I’ll be able to survive if I do hit and runs.’

I wasn’t sure if Tessa would really save me if I was in trouble. We met two days ago so I didn’t think we were that close.

He might even get rid of me if I was deemed useless for his lord.

I threw Dáinsleif down.

“Huh? Why are you throwing away your sword?”

Tessa asked in confusion. 

I silently grabbed a dead man’s longsword.

“With Dáinsleif I can easily win.”

A god slaying weapon is indeed a cheat. It was one of a kind and I was glad to have found him.

“Huh!? Are ya mocking me you bastard!? Ya think I’m some weakling who can’t be a threat!?”

His face distorted.

My opponent’s aura violently shook the ground as he took slow strides towards me.

His great sword and his mass of muscle reminded me of that bastard, Bear. The bastard who would always hit me for no reason. I always wanted to kick his ass in the past.

“What are you doing!? Pick your sword up!”

Tessa screamed from behind me.

He was about to pick Dáinsleif up but–

The sword refused to budge.

“Kuh! Why is it so heavy!?”

“Tess…” I looked into his eyes as I heard the giant walked towards me. “What makes a Sword King isn’t the weapon he can wield.”

The bear guy stopped and looked at me in confusion.

I took a deep breath and smirked.

‘Dáinsleif knows it as well… so it refuses to budge.’

“What makes a Sword King is his mastery over swordsmanship. It doesn’t matter what kind of sword it is. Every weapon is deadly in his hands.”

10