Chapter 8
562 8 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This morning I had many things to do. Sort out what the rescued people wanted to do, base upgrades, and our clothing problem.

Last night, I told the three slave girls that they didn't have to sleep with me to gain favours and were now free to do what they wanted. I promised them that we would have a chat later today. The convincing took a very long time, and when I woke up, I couldn't stop yawning.

I checked with the units guarding me for any problems that might have happened overnight. But apparently, it was all calm, and all the girls were still asleep.

It was great that the units didn't need to eat or sleep to function, but I feel that they might need maintenance, and I wanted to see what a unit looked like inside. I looked through [Create Building], and there it was.

[Workshop] A place that can provide maintenance and repair on equipment. It can also produce other items. 

I plan to place this near the vehicle warehouse and create a couple of extra engineer units. I also want to build a [Laboratory] to start properly examining the creatures and plants of this world.

I especially wanted to look for plants because my current diet consists of only meat products, and with the lack of knowledge of this world's plants, I shouldn't eat anything without confirmation.

I also planned to increase the base's defences, but these plans would have to wait until I check how much material we have stored.

I head down to the kitchen, where the heavenly smell of meat flooded everywhere. Inside was Ayumi preparing my breakfast with great speed. 

Sometimes, I would forget that she was not human because of her behaviours. I did wonder at some point about how these units were almost human-like, but it was just a waste of time. If they were more like robots, I would have felt lonelier.

"Good morning, Supreme Commander. Today for breakfast is the meat of a giant green wolf, hunted early this morning." Ayumi says as she places the plate in front of me.

"It smells incredible. What about the other people?"

"Yes, that has been taken care of. I have the units serving food and supervising them."

"Good, I want to make this place as enticing as possible."

"Supreme Commander, may I ask why?"

"Well, as a human, we naturally would want to be with our kind." as I said that, I sensed Ayumi's expression saddens, and I quickly corrected my point. "No, sorry, what I meant was having people would make this place livelier. And also, since I can only make military-focused units, it would be nice to have them provide us with the knowledge we lack."

Ayumi, who returned to her usual cheery self, nodded at my quick excuse. It's frightening how human-like she was acting, but I didn't say that. If she were human, I would have fallen in love with her at first sight. Wait, does Ayumi even have a gender?

Anyways back on track, I ate my breakfast whilst I listened to Ayumi's daily report. The Nightwatch had successfully prevented some people who tried to sneak out, but it had turned out that they were kids who wanted to go to the warehouse to see the chinooks.

They were quickly returned to their rooms. You might be wondering about those kids who have no parents? Don't worry, some volunteers, as well as other families, looked after those kids.

Next was that the drills apparently couldn't dig any further. I was shown an extensive list of materials that we had gathered. It would seem like even the warehouse was almost full. I guess those plans for upgrades can go ahead without any problems.

The final thing was the blood sample results had been completed. Most of them were healthy, but one person actually had an STD. I might need to provide some treatment for him; I think the hospital came with cabinets of medications. I might need to place a guard or two there as well.

That wasn't the most critical part. Ayumi showed me a list of nine people who had abnormalities. Apparently, their DNA structure was similar to humans but also contained the same unknown substance in the minotaur's horn. We had no picture of them, so I had no idea what they looked like.

Our temporary measure was to watch them closely and put them down should they show any hostility.

After eating, I headed over to where the people were with Ayumi. As soon as they spotted me, they immediately went silent.

"Good morning; I would like everyone to decide whether you want to stay or leave. You are free to discuss with your partners, families, and friends."

A young woman puts her hand up with a question.

"If we choose to stay, what do we need to do?"

"Good question. I'm sure everyone had jobs before coming here and obtained valuable skills. As long as you put those skills to use, we will provide food, water and shelter. But some people, especially the wives and mothers, might not have worked in a while; in that case, we have some simple jobs available."

Many of them began to show interest in my offer, and a few who I could see were already sold on my offer.

"Now, once you have made your decisions, please report it to a unit. There will be additional details taken from you if you choose to stay."

I ordered all the units to turn on their camera, which I had no idea where it was, and when someone wanted to stay, a picture of them would be taken. A picture, along with extra details, would be stored on the computers. I planned to make some ID cards for them, but that would mean I needed to create a [WorkShop].

I left them to decide and walked around the base accompanied by two units. I took out my phone and opened the app.

From there, I clicked on base management and moved the drills that had stopped drilling to another location. The holes were quickly covered, and 'No Entry' signs were placed.

Since we had plenty of resources, I made massive improvements to the base. 

[Laboratory] A place of research and experiments. Can produce medications and chemicals.

[Workshop] A place that can provide maintenance and repair on equipment. It can also produce other items. 

[Armoury] Storage facility for firearms, ammunition, and other things.

[Factory] A place for manufacturing goods.

[Food Factory] A place for food production.

[Water treatment plant] A facility that can turn contaminated water into clean and drinkable.

And also two more warehouses. I also connected all the houses' wastewater pipes to the [Water treatment plant].

The [Armoury] is where all the extra weapons, parts, and accessories will be stored. I needed to make sure that it was heavily guarded and that only trusted personnel could enter. This would be where the ID cards come in.

I built factories not only to create more jobs but also to produce goods. I plan to use the [Food Factory] to make MRE, which can last over for a couple of years, to be stored and be used in cases of emergencies.

It's uncertain if we would lose one of our primary food sources: the animals from the forest or if we needed to abandon the base and move. So it is best to be prepared for anything.

In terms of base defensive upgrades, watchtowers and a giant heavy metal gate were built. I placed four watch towers in each corner and two between the gate.

I set up four M115 203mm Howitzers120-PM43 Mortars, and enough ammunition to go with it.

After the rescue mission, my level increased by two. Only my unit limit had increased by two hundred, so I created fifty artillery crew units to operate all the artillery guns. 

Furthermore, I created fifty more different units to work in each of the new places I had built. 

I wanted to consult with Ayumi before making the decisions for the rest. With that in mind, I headed towards the Command Centre.

14