Chapter 63
52 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ants made the trees in neat lines, and Theanore grew them all with help from Marinus. In the end, they ended up with lined-up trees. Each line had a different tree species.

Forest ants have reached the requirements for the builder ants’ upgrade. Upgrade them now? Cost 0 mana. Yes/No?

Theanore thought about that and decided to click no. With their smaller size, the forest ants were perfect for planting trees. She was going to leave this anthill as it was.

With that done, Theanore took out her water skin and some sugar cubes and mixed the water with the sugar. Then she left the water skin on a rock next to the anthill. Opened just enough for the sugar syrup to trickle down.

“Go eat with the rest. You deserve it,” she said to her builder ant that had been looking at her expectantly.

“Let us go home before that gremlin turns the grotto into a death trap,” said Marinus, and Theanore chuckled. Darion was not the best of gremlins, but he wouldn’t do that. Nothing in the form he filled up last indicated that he would.

After a short trek, they found the forest path and followed it to the forest of fireflies. Thereafter, they got home on time for dinner. They found Darion over the cooking pit, making a fish soup.

“Welcome, lesser, uhm, I mean, Theanore and family. Dinner will be done in a bit. Meanwhile, do you wish to see the petting zoo? It is done.”

“A petting zoo?” Asked Theanore, jumping in the air. “I have to check it out and inspect it to see if it answers to safety regulations.”

“She means she needs to pet and hug all the animals in it. There are animals, yes?” Asked the redhead. Darion nodded.

“They are still adjusting, but they seem to like it. I have taken the liberty of installing wood stoves in the different pens so that the animals can be kept warm. Plus, I have taken extra hay for their bedding.”

Darion led the family to the petting zoo, the only thing on the camping site that was done. Theanore squealed as she saw the Tedsby and went to their cage, extending a hand in. The white fluff balls came to her and nuzzled her hand. She giggled as she petted their snouts energetically.

“They seem happy. What else do you have?” Asked the nymph. The petting zoo was enclosed into a giant house-like building. It was pleasantly warm inside, and even the murder muffins were inside it. Although, they shared the pen of the sheep.

“Well, you might like the dogs. I got bigger ones because winter is coming, and I preferred not to risk puppies dying, even with the warmth of the stoves,” said Darion and he led the family to the pen with the dogs.

The dogs were Pomeranians, and they bounced towards Theanore and licked her hands when she got them through the planks of the pen. Giggling, Theanore tried to climb the pen’s walls, but Darion coughed.

“No climbing over or entering the pens. There is even a sign.” Said the gremlin, and he pointed to a sign on the pen that also said little things about the animals inside.

“Oh, come on, Dari. I want to hug the doggies,” whined Theanore, but Darion pointed at the sign again, and they moved on. They reached the sheep pen and the two murder muffins came to greet Theanore. Then they smelled her hands and hissed and began to purr.

“Hiss? Rip? What is wrong?” Asked Theanore, and Darion sighed.

“Cats don’t like dogs, Thea. I suggest washing your hands after petting the dogs from now on.”

“But they have to get along! I’ll make them!” She grabbed Hiss and Rip, and she carried them back to the dog pen before anyone could protest. Then she threw them over the walls of the pen.

The chaos that ensued was the stuff of legend. The murder muffins might have been tiny, but so were the dogs. Still, the murder muffins were outnumbered 2:1 and the dogs soon had them cornered.

But the brave murder muffins fought back. They hissed, scratched, and purred. The first muffin-dog war ended in favor of the murder muffins. Darion went inside the pen just as Rip latched himself to the throat of one of the dogs.

“Oh, no…” Said Theanore. “I wanted them to be friends.”

“Never do this again,” said the gremlin as Rip dug his claws in his nose. The murder muffin received a swat on the behind for his effort. “And you stop it, or I will sick the ghost aura on you!” Said Darion to the murder muffin.

Theanore tried to apologize to the murder muffins, but they tried to scratch her nose and she gave up. But she was sure that one day she could get them to be best of friends with the doggies. She just needed to figure out how.

Then they went to the normal-sized hamsters, and Theanore marveled at how tiny they were in comparison to the giant hamsters. Even the baby giant hamsters were bigger than these here.

Then they were by the guinea pig pen and Darion gave both Marinus and Theanore a carrot each to feed the rodents. The children marveled at how quickly the carrots disappeared.

After the tour was done, they went back to the cooking pit and had a wonderful dinner. Theanore cleared her throat and hit her glass with her spoon three times, the way the matron of the orphanage did.

“Darion, when you came here, you were a baddie bad gremlin,” she said and Darion withered at that. “But you are not so bad, you know? I will make you a diploma stating that you are now a full-time employee. Even after you go back to Alerion, you are welcome to come and visit. Enjoy your stay here, Dari.”

A nice feeling set in Darion. He hadn’t been appreciated like this for centuries. Perhaps he would stay here for a couple more months? He had a camping site to complete, after all.

3