Chapter 231
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 The children of the Apple Grotto spend the entire night drawing, tying silk bands and reordering merchandise. When the sun rose in the sky, they were beyond tired.

Everyone headed to their huts for a well-deserved rest. They would miss one day of fun, but they had plenty of fun already during their nighttime decorating.

When the merchants of the Forest of Fireflies’ Merchant Union went back to their stalls, they all thought that they were transported into a kindergarten. Some drawings were sloppy, the ribbons weren’t tied right. And yet, there was a certain charm in all of this.

But, they needed to attract a crowd. And so, they got together a thousand gold coins and send one of them to Mirstone to bring a troupe of performers. The local bands jumped at the chance to ply their trade for their continent, and loud music was soon heard from the Eomis corner.

Flutes and drums and even violins! All made a wonderful cacophony that had an upbeat, childish feel to it. Curious shoppers came to gawk. And, when they saw the freshly repainted stands and all the drawings, they went in.

New signs, ones that proclaimed there was a 50% off discount on everything, hung from the gates of the Eomis corner. Happy shoppers came in and stayed for the show, buying this and that. Mostly snacks.

But that was welcomed to the Eomis and No Man’s Land merchants. For they could only win if they had the most sales. And so, no haggling was heard from any stand the entire day, and loud music was the norm for the brightly decorated Eomis corner.

The next day, the now refreshed children spread out to continue exploring. Most went to the Alerion sector, for Yule was everyone’s favorite time of the year, and the whole Alerion corner looked like it was celebrating it.

Others went to the forest of plenty, wanting to see all the goods that the elves had on offer. And there was a third group, the biggest, that stayed behind and helped the Eomis and No Man’s Land merchant sell their wares.

That attracted even more customers. And then, a miracle happened. A young couple approached the stand of young Nick and, clasping their hands together, asked a question that would change his life.

“Young boy, would you like to be adopted by us? We went to the Apple Grotto yesterday, but a gremlin told us all the children are here,” spoke the woman. Nick watched them with big, amazed, eyes. Was this happening?

“I…there are procedures that…” The merchant lady next to him smiled and placed a hand on the overexcited young boy’s shoulder.

“He’d love to be a part of your family. But there is paperwork, I’m afraid. Claudia, the orphanage matron, is near the end of the district. Nick, go show your new family to Claudia.”

“My family,” murmured the boy, amazed. His luck had turned when Clotilde had died, and now the young elf was going to have a family!

With shaking hands and an encouraging pat on the shoulder from the merchant, Nick led the two to Claudia.

“We would like to adopt this boy,” said Nick’s soon-to-be father. Nick smiled brightly at that. It would be so nice to have a father. He didn’t even remember his birth one. But he had heard from the others who did remember theirs that a father was the kindest person in one’s life. And the mother was the most loving.

“Oh, that is wonderful. I have hoped this could happen, so I brought the paperwork. It is right here. Nick, go say goodbye to everyone,” that made Nick pause. In his excitement of getting a family, he hadn’t thought about having to be separated from everyone.

This saddened him. Clotilde had done her best to make him look like a klutz, but the children of the orphanage had still liked him because he always tried to be kind.

He’ll miss Harry and Timmy and even Sol, who had painted Nick’s socks, all of his pairs, pink once as a joke for the first of April. He’ll miss Theanore and her family too. But he would be forever grateful to them. He would be sure to visit as often as he could. For they had lifted the curse that plagued his entire life.

The woman, his mother, placed a hand over his head and gave it a few pats.

“Young man, what is your name?” She asked.

“Nick Rezelkinz, ma’am,” Nick hadn’t forgotten his courtesies just because he was getting adopted.

“Lily, Nick, dear. I am to be your mother. And this is Jake, your father. We want to have two children, not just one. So, go bring your best friend, and you will have a sibling,” Nick smiled at that. His thoughts went to Harry immediately. Now that he wasn’t sick all the time, the family would surely want him.

He ran out of the hut and searching for his friend. He found him by a stall playing the violin and gathering a crowd of shoppers.

“Harry, Harry! We are getting adopted!” Yelled Nick. The shoppers ah’ed and oh’ed and clapped at the announcement. Harry stopped playing and shrugged.

“You go get adopted. I am staying at the grotto,” Nick blinked and couldn’t help but think he had misheard his friend.

“But, Harry. We can be brothers!” Protested Nick. Harry sighed and looked Nick in the eyes.

“We are friends, that is enough. I have a family. Tons of brothers and sisters, and they are all in the grotto. I like my house there, and I want to be there and play with Tod the Tedsby and the goats. Not only that, but I would like to take lessons to become a merchant and go to the fancy boarding school. The one where Crassus went. So, this is goodbye, Nick. Be happy, as I am happy for you.”

Nick’s head bowed, and then he felt a tug on his sleeve. It was a small girl. A new arrival at the grotto.

“I’d like to be your sister, if you don’t mind. I am Abby,” she smiled a toothy smile with a missing front tooth. Her parents had both died in a fire, Nick knew. She needed a lucky break as well. With a nod, he took his sister’s hand and led her to their parents.

2