Chapter 232
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nick and Abby waited for Lily and Jake to finish the papers and then went home with them. Theanore found out after the fact. She was happy that the two now had a family, but she was also sad that she was now separated from two friends.

She nodded to herself, and decided not to be selfish. This was similar to how it was when the ants started leaving. But, more permanent. She needed to help the other children get families. And she could only do so if she was willing to let them go.

But, was she? She was so used to having numerous children around that the idea of an empty grotto terrified her. At least Harry would stay and a few others that wanted to study.

No, she reminded herself that she couldn’t be selfish. So, she went to the nearest family, a middle-aged couple with no children in sight, and tugged at the woman’s dress’s sleeve.

“Hello, did you know that the Apple Grotto is an orphanage?” Theanore was not going to beat around the bush or use trickery. It would be better this way, so none of the children ended up being returned.

“Ah, yes, little girl,” came the confused answer from the woman she had begun talking to.

“They like it at my grotto, but would very much like a mommy and daddy. You two seem nice enough. Would you like a child?” Theanore was being a bit too forward, she knew. But now was not the time for timidness.

“We weren’t aware that the new orphanage allowed adoptions. We thought that the dungeon core was training the children for officer positions,” said the woman. Presently, her eyes scanned the stands and made note of the children who were helping the merchant.

“Liam, do you think we could…” There was a wistful note in her voice. The man looked uncomfortable before speaking.

“You know we can’t raise a child. What with your sickness. It will be too cruel if something happened and the child ended up back in the orphanage. Come on, we have to finish our shopping,” the man tugged his wife towards the stands before Theanore could tell them she could do her best to find a cure.

Head bowed, she chewed at her bottom lip. Ok, maybe they were in a tight spot and couldn’t get a child. But there were plenty of other adults around. She couldn’t give up!

Possibly, she needed a change of plan. She was unable to go around and stop every couple that crossed her path. She needed to be smarted than that. So, she went to the Alerion sector and walked to the sled with grandpa and grandma Thinker.

When they saw her, they waved her over.

“Grandpa, granny, I have a mission for you,” Theanore spoke in her most serious voice. The two elderly people regarded her with raised eyebrows.

“Thea, we can’t help you get sales. It will hurt our chances,” grandma Thinker wanted to win and get mermaid goods. People always loved to find them underneath their fir trees.

“Not about that. Two of the children of the grotto got adopted. I want to give the rest a chance to get adopted too. And, seeing as there are so many adults here, the time is now,” Theanore waited for the verdict and the two elderly people huddled close together to whisper to each other.

“Granny, it is a noble cause. It will promote goodwill to those who are the least fortunate,” said grandpa Thinker to his wife.

“We can promote, but not bribe, Albert. Least, the child ends up back at the grotto with a broken heart. We gather a big crowd every day. Truly, we are the best to spread the message.”

The two turned to Theanore and gave her a thumbs up. She smiled and turned on her heel. The elves needed to help too. They had their share of unique shoppers.

Except, there was a problem. She didn’t know any of the merchant union leaders of the forest of plenty. She wandered aimlessly around the shopping district and found a big tent.

Figuring that whoever was the leader was inside, she went in. There were so many toys inside! Theanore even saw a doll that had the same face as Princess Strawberry!

A kind young elf woman was manning the counter of what Theanore now knew was a toy store. The nymph wanted to leave, for if anyone came in here, then they were either children or had children. But the woman came from behind the counter and smiled down at her.

“Why, hello there, little lady. Are you here for some new clips for your doll? Maybe a new ribbon? We have the best lace here!” The woman had a chirpy voice that put Theanore at ease. She supposed there was no harm in asking for help here.

“Lady, how would you like to help children get adopted?” Theanore got on her tip-toes and waited with bated breath for the response of the elf woman. Her eyes were shining and a single tear fell down her face. This surprised Theanore, as what she had said wasn’t at all upsetting.

“Did you know, little lady, that not every elf can have a child of their flesh? That those that do cherish their children?” That sounded admirable, but Theanore didn’t know at what the lady was getting at.

“I am one of those who can’t have children,” said the woman, and now she was crying, but her eyes looked hopeful. “Do you think that, perhaps, I can adopt one? Just one. I don’t ask for much, do I?”

Theanore beamed at the elven woman. The lady wanted to adopt! That was more than what she had expected by coming into this tent.

“You can adopt two, if you want. That way, they will have a familiar face with them. To play with and share secrets with and…” Theanore was warmly embraced, and the elf began to sob. She was shaking as Theanore began patting her back.

Yes, it was bad being an orphan, but Theanore now knew of another form of loneliness. That of a person without a child.

2