Chapter 238
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theanore went back to the fairgrounds with Archibald. It was the last day of the fair, and she was super excited. Today, at noon, the tally would be made, and the winner would be announced.

The other two districts had better painted stalls from the get go, but Theanore felt like Marinus’ cookie selling idea would have merit. But the important thing was that they gave their all for the fair.

The day was spent promoting one stall or the other and then, at noon, it was the tally time. Emperor Casimir was on a raised platform with Empress Orlena. They both looked grim, for some reason.

“Citizens of the Dawn Empire,” boomed the emperor’s voice. “And honored Guests. I now pronounce the top three winners. Number one: Odious Thinker of Alerion!”

Loud cheering came from the Alerion side of the gathering. Theanore bowed her head. Well, the better merchant had won.

“Number two: The Forest of Fireflies Merchant Union of Eomis!” Cheering came from the people of the Dawn Empire and No Man’s Land as Theanore began jumping up and down. She wasn’t last! She had done well!

“Number three: The Forest of Plenty Merchant Union!” Mutterings of we should have brought performers and the likes came from that side. Everyone quieted down as grandpa Thinker moved to the platform to get his reward.

When he took the golden statuette, he cleared his throat and the Emperor and Empress stepped aside.

“Now, I’d like to thank my workers, without whom this wouldn’t have been possible!” Whistling and happy yells answered him. He made a silencing motion with his hand and everyone quieted down.

“But our joined venture to get the children of the Apple Grotto adopted has opened my eyes to something. Something I think we will all agree on,” curious murmurs spread around the gathered crowds.

“We have excluded the merfolk for too long! Pegged them as savages. When they are just as unfortunate as those children. More so, for they don’t have a benefactor like they did,” everyone stared at grandpa Thinker, waiting for him to finish.

“So, I make this suggestion. Let the merfolk trade with everyone! And forever! And may they, in five years, have representatives on the next merchant fair. I, for one, wouldn’t mind an island connected with teleports to the next location. With my authority as the winner, I decree that my words are law!”

People were still quiet when he finished. They began to nudge one another and whisper. It was true that the mermaids were expert craftswomen, but there were also bad rumors about them. Then the silence was interrupted by loud clapping.

Everyone turned to see a red haired, blue-eyed boy clapping enthusiastically. It was Marinus, who was happy that the mermaids were given a chance.

Then, Theanore began to clap. And, like an avalanche, the clapping spread over the entire crowd. Grandpa Thinker bowed and went back to grandma Thinker. Cheeks rosy with mirth.

“The list with the runner ups can be found at the entrance of the fair. Thank you all for participating!” There was a broad smile on Casimir’s face. Now, that this inclusion of the merfolk wasn’t coming from him, people weren’t going to blame him if things went south.

What was more, all his merchants would be able to trade with the merfolk, not just Theanore. That meant more competition and more taxes in his treasury. Orlena squeezed his hand, and they descended the platform to congratulate the merchants of Eomis.

The fairgrounds, after a bit of a discussion, remained as they were. Since there were going to be teleports connecting to Mirstone from pretty much everywhere, there was no point in putting the stalls away.

It was decided that Mirstone could become a trading hub for the three major unions and that the independent merchants could keep their stalls, if they wanted to.

As Theanore placed the last dress in her dimensional bag, she thought back on all the fun she had on this fair. She’d do everything she could to make sure there was another one, even if it was on a smaller scale, next ear.

One with games and toys for winners. Countless sweets and tasty food in general. She exited her hut to see numerous children crowded before it. They held envelopes in their hands. Those were the former orphans. Coming here to say goodbye.

Theanore ran to the nearest, who just so happened to be Nick, and hugged him.

“I’ll miss you, I already do,” murmured Theanore in his shirt. She received a pat on her back and, when she broke up the hug, an envelope. Opening it, she smiled when she saw a drawing of a hamster.

“We decided to give you numerous drawings to hung up in your grotto. To make it even more inviting,” said Nick. He nudged Theanore towards the next child in the line.

Numerous drawings later and Theanore was waving with misty eyes as the children went to their new parents. She had stashed all the drawings back in the envelopes, so they wouldn’t get wrinkled and the envelopes in her bag.

When the crowd of children left, she saw a big seashell with cut up hearts laying on the ground. Curious, she went to inspect it. Inside the shell was a giant pearl and a note.

Perfect decoration for every dungeon. One free. Get more through grandpa Thinker!

Alfie.

Theanore smiled and decided that this will fit perfectly in the cavern where her apple sapling grew. But she was too small to pick it up. The seashell was taller than she.

She heard footsteps and turned to see Darion with two shopping bags.

“I hear we lost,” Darion’s voice was grave as he said so.

“We are second best, but we learned many things. Next time, we will be the best!” Vowed Theanore. Then she pointed at her present from Alfie the worker elf. “Can you get someone to move that? Grandpa Thinker gave it to me.”

Darion was once again reminded that nothing could put a damper on Theanore. And, for a first time participating in the trade fair, with a freshly made union at that, he supposed they did their best.

2