Chapter 239
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With most of the children of the grotto gone, Theanore decided to spend time with the remaining ones. But they had lessons. Theanore didn’t have them, as she was too little. So, in between lessons, she brought snacks to Selene and Fiona, as they seemed most interested in playing with her.

Months passed and Theanore grew more and more excited. It was her birthday soon. So, Theanore decided to prepare presents for everyone. For that, she enlisted Tania’s help.

“Tania, give me a selection of the tastiest fruits possible that can be grown fast,” a screen with selections appeared before Theanore.

Banana

Pineapple

Red berries

Apples

Well, Theanore didn’t like pineapple, her mouth always bled from it. Red berries were slightly too sweet for her taste. And bananas led to constipation. So, that left apples.

But, should she plant another tree? What if a nymph sprouted from it and Mary felt passed over? Why couldn’t she grow her tree? That would be the best!

“Tania, grow my tree fully!”

Are you certain? You will age if I do so.

Theanore worried her bottom lip. She had forgotten about that.

“Then, what can I do?” She wanted to make a fruit salad with apples, strawberries and cream for her birthday, which was tomorrow.

You can always buy the apples you need from Mirstone.

Theanore smiled at Tania’s suggestion and went straight to the teleport. She took the paper that was kept there for visiting ogres and wrote.

Dear family,

I am going to Mirstone to buy apples and cream.

Love,

Theanore.

After her hike in the mountain some time ago, Theanore knew the importance of leaving a note. She patted her lightness and dimensional enchanted bag and stepped inside the tube of the teleport.

She was tugged through a straw, and then she was at the Mirstone teleportation site. With a smile, she skipped back to the gates and placed a silver coin in the coin collection box.

“Children don’t pay,” said a guard. Theanore tilted her head to the side.

“But, everyone paid for the duration of the fair,” she couldn’t comprehend why they didn’t want her money now.

“Yes, well, new rules. Empress Orlena ripped us a new one when she found out we were charging children too. As if we made the tax laws,” the guard snorted at that, showing what he thought of the nobles and their fickle minds.

“But, don’t you need the money for lanterns?” Theanore was ready to give up the money, if it would make the streets brighter at night.

“Look, kid, if word spreads out we took money from a child, we will lose our jobs. There is a charity board in town right next to the publishing house. Little Annie’s operation funds are collected there. Leave your silver coin there, if you don’t need it. Go on now.”

Theanore nodded and headed straight towards the publishing house. She knew of the charity board and had even left money in it while she did her book signing, but it had left her mind these past months.

A picture of a girl with burns on her face stared at Theanore from the charity board. There was also a dog with a missing leg that required a wheel where the leg used to be, and an old man who had gotten evicted recently.

On the table next to the board, there was a woman with post cards arrayed around her. The cheapest one was one gold coin and there was a sign that read:

All funds go to the charities on the board.

Suddenly, Theanore felt that this was going to be a better gift than apples.

“I’ll take fourteen of the one gold coin ones,” Theanore placed her coin purse on the counter and the woman began to take out coins from it.

“For which charities?” Came the board question.

“Um, for Annie and the doggie and the grandpa! Five each for Annie and the grandpa and four for the doggie,” Theanore loved animals, but she was certain that many people were going to give for the pup.

“That is wasted money on the dog. It will be put down. They found it has a tumor. One would wonder why they keep his photo and where the money would go after it dies,” the clerk still took Theanore’s money, who looked at her in horror.

“The doggie can’t die! Where is it? I’ll call Elmar back, and he will fix it!” The clerk’s eyebrow rose at the outburst, and Theanore blushed at having shouted.

“It is kept at the shelter. If you want to take it anywhere, you will have to adopt it,” the clerk handed Theanore the fourteen cards, tied with a red ribbon, and the little nymph headed towards the shelter with a mission.

There were so many animals there. Cats and dogs and even a pony! Theanore spend about five minutes attempting to pet the pony that didn’t go anywhere near her.

“Would you like to adopt it?” Theanore turned around and saw a teenager with pimples on his face that was a little plump hand her a form.

“I am here for the three-legged doggie with the tumor. I am going to fix him!” The teenager looked confused for some time, but then he became saddened.

“Sorry, little girl. The pooch was in too much pain and got put down just this morning. You can come to the funeral, if you want,” a tear ran down Theanore’s cheek. She had wanted to help, but she was too late.

“Did it hurt the doggie to die?” She hoped it had not. The dog deserved a peaceful end.

“No, we had a healer here who forced it to sleep and then stopped its heart,” Theanore nodded, but a second tear ran down her cheek. She sat down and hugged her knee.

“But, you know, you can adopt other animals to save them from the same fate. This pony had a weak leg and can’t work. If no one takes it, we will have to put it down,” Theanore stared at the teenager with horror. She had failed one fluffy animal, she would not fail another.

“I will take all the animals that live here,” she jumped up. The surrounding animals lived in cages. In artificial light and breathed stale air. She wanted to give them a better life.

“Do you live on a ranch? Your parents need to own at lest two acres of land where all the animals can roam. Bring proof of that, and your parents, and I will be happy to transport all your new friends’ home.”

Theanore nodded. She had animals to save.

2