Chapter 242
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Theanore set up Florrie in the petting zoo, she hugged her good night and went to her father’s house to have dinner. Said meal was a simple affair. Potatoes with sprinkled cheese and fresh onions and a salad to the side. Theanore was happy that there was no meat at the table.

When the dinner was done, she washed up and went to cuddle with Marinus and her two dolls. The merman didn’t like to have to wake up with a doll near his nose, but, for Theanore, he put up with it.

The morning came too soon and Theanore was woken to the smell of pancakes coming from the kitchen. She jumped up, waking up Marinus, and dashed to get a seat at the breakfast table.

“Happy Birthday, Thea!” Called Esmer and Crassus in unison. There were presents on the table, and Theanore remembered her own undelivered present. Jumping down from her chair, she went to her dimensional bag and pulled out the golden apples and strawberries from within. Then, the cream followed.

She sniffed the cream, thankful it has not gone off, and set out in her corner of the kitchen, cutting up apples and strawberries and placing them in bowls.

“I got you these yesterday,” she spoke as she cut. The chunks of fruit were uneven, but Theanore knew that they were still small enough to fit in a mouth. When she finished that, she took a whisk and began beating the cream.

“Thea, on one's birthday the birthday girl or boy receives presents, not their family members,” Esmer was amused at her daughter’s attempts at making a fruit salad.

“But, mommy, I need to give presents. Everyone should be happy today,” Theanore continued to whisk the cream, even though her little hand began to hurt. She ground her teeth together and persevered. Today had to be perfect.

“Let me, Thea,” Crassus took the whisk from her hand and began to whisk the cream faster than Theanore could. It was slowly getting foamy, and Theanore began opening the pantries searching for powdered sugar.

“What are you searching for now, Thea?” Esmer’s amusement became even greater at the frantic opening and closing of pantries.

“Powdered sugar, mommy,” Theanore finally found a jar with the stuff, only to have it taken away.

“Now, now, little nymph, you will rot your teeth with all that sweetness. The fruits are sweet enough,” they heard footsteps and saw Marinus coming with a brightly wrapped package. He trusted it towards Theanore, grinning, and she made quick work of the packaging paper.

As the paper was gently unwrapped, Theanore gasped. It was a small toy boy that looked like Marinus.

“I figured that princess Strawberry could use a prince,” Theanore tacked Marinus in a hug and kissed both his cheeks sloppily.

“Now even the doll has a boyfriend,” joked Crassus with an amused smile on his face. Princess Strawberry, despite having pink hair, looked a little like Theanore. So, this boy, that looked like Marinus, was just his attempt at attempting to get Theanore to play house with him. Both parents were certain of it.

“Ok, Thea, unwrap the rest of the presents. I’ll go call the others,” Esmer turned to do just that, and Marinus and Theanore began to unwrap the presents. There was a porcelain tea set wrapped in pink paper with polka dots.

A toy stuffed elephant that made Theanore want to have one of those, only for Marinus to tell her that they were migratory animals and needed a large stretch of land and an entire herd to be happy. 

Marinus might have started off as ignorant about the ways of the land, but he liked to read children’s atlases and encyclopedias. He kept both his and Theanore’s adventuring clothes in pristine condition and dreamed of the day that they would go and explore the world together. Personally, he wanted to see Alerion.

Theanore gasped as they unwrapped a cage. The wholes in the paper should have told the two that there was something living inside, yet, when they saw the canary, they were both surprised.

When the sunlight from the kitchen window hit the bird, it began to sing beautifully. Theanore immediately opened the cage and the bird flew around before nesting in her curls.

“I think it likes me. I will name you sir Puff!” Theanore reached out and petted the newly named sir Puff, who chirped excitedly. She had no idea what canaries ate, but if she gave it grains, she was certain it would eat them.

Going to the pantries, she took out some deep wheat grains and sprinkled them on the counter. Sir Puff jumped down to her shoulder and then flew to the counter to eat. He ate everything in record time, and the three still in the room laughed at his enthusiasm.

Then, much to her surprise, through the door came not just the six children, plus Mary, who had her house because she wanted to be independent, but also Elmar, Diana, Dereck and Luca.

Theanore began jumping in a single spot and everyone laughed. Then, from the door came three adults. When Theanore saw Persephone, she immediately went and hugged her legs. The two men behind her chuckled.

“Lovely home,” said the olive-skinned man as he looked around the cozy house. “Thank you for inviting us on this exceptional day, Madam Esmer.”

“You are Elmar’s parents. Of course, I’ll invite you. But, who are you?” She asked the purple eyed, white haired man that was tagging along.

“Rozimer, I am a shape-shifter and a half ogre, half elf. I hope you don’t mind me tagging along. I brought presents, as it is right,” Rozimer placed a brightly wrapped book shaped package that had teddy bears on the wrapping. “I find that everyone should read these traditional forest of plenty stories at least once.”

“My name is Persephone, but you know me as Pochva, dear. I am happy you value me so much. This is my husband, Hades, and you know my son, Elmar, and his friends. Now, I hear there are pancakes?”

Theanore stopped to think, and a pit opened in her stomach. She didn’t have enough fruit salad for everyone. Oh, no…

2