Vol. 1 Chapter 18 – Preparations And Deals
466 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our walk through Gralk was one filled with tension, as every single orc we encountered brought with him a chance of a fight. Most gave little attention to Kuzu and I, but there were some who stalked after us with open curiosity.

 

Those were the ones who either wanted to know how an Elf had arrived in Gralk or to take Kuzu for themselves. It was only when I entered into the Stone District that they backed off, mostly because of the increased presence of guards.

 

Gone were the arenas where orcs fought one another, and gone were the orcs who stood around and muttered threats. Instead we had entered into the merchant area, where every corner was laden with an orc who had purchased the rights to it.

 

I had no gems, or what the orcs would call rocks or stones, and instead I could only walk by the food stalls that were scattered throughout the district. Compared to the Bloods that we’d seen before it was such a vast difference that it almost seemed like a different race.

 

“They’re trading?” Kuzu asked from ahead of me. I hadn’t let go of her neck even though we were in a safer district.

 

“They’re Stones,” I replied, slightly distracted by the signs on the buildings, “while the Bloods are focused on being the strongest fighters, they’re all about money.”

 

“That has nothing to do with strength though.”

 

I paused in our walk which meant Kuzu was forced to stop with me. “The original orcs would’ve agreed with you, but the Goddess hammered into them that there’s more to life than punching each other.”

 

“Why would she do that?”

 

“The first orcs tried to murder each other to prove who was the toughest, so she stepped in to stop them from committing genocide.” I turned Kuzu toward a nearby building. “Let’s go, this is the place I was looking for.”

 

She looked up even as I studied the fairly large building. Columns held up an overhang with arches between each pillar. An open doorway that could fit two orcs side by side was centered between glass stained windows.

 

I tried to be as gentle as I could when I pushed Kuzu toward the trading center. We passed through the doorway uninterrupted, and as soon as we entered the building all we heard was noise. The interior was filled with orcs in a vast open room and every single one was in the process of yelling at each other.

 

The inside of the building was by and large impressive. The small staircase that led down to the central room had been crafted from marble, and even the entire floor was made of a white smooth material. Pillars embedded with lanterns held up a curved ceiling far above.

 

"What is this place?" Kuzu asked in a whisper, as she shook beneath my grip.

 

"What is this! Is that a kitsune in Gralk?" An elderly orc stepped in from the right with his arms spread wide. “Tell me this means a war is coming.”

 

It was easy to tell that he was an elder, given how his tusks were cracked and darkened. He looked at us with eyes that had a white film that had started to creep over them. On his back rested two obsidian swords, while a multitude of pouches hung from his belt.

 

He was flanked by two other orcs. The first was a lean female orc who had pulled her hair back into a ponytail. Her tusks were well cared for, and even though she was an orc she seemed to wear some type of makeup to darken her eyelids and lips.

 

The other orc had what could only be called a generic look to him. He had short cut dark hair, and his tusks were of an average size. The only distinguishing aspect to him was the brand on his left cheek, one that was in the shape of a crescent moon.

 

“No war this time, though I might wage one later,” I told the orc as I released my grip on Kuzu’s neck, “I’m only here to make a deal.”

 

That brought a hideous grin to the old orcs face. He started to walk down the steps to the central part of the large chamber, and then veered off to the left. “Follow me!” he called out to us, as he slowly marched to the entrance of a hallway.

 

Once we entered into the hallway the noise from the central chamber began to die down, though it was still loud enough to make me want to grit my teeth. The old orc, along with the woman and the Umbra, stepped into a side room. A wooden table, along with six chairs, were the only things within.

 

“Come, sit sit,” the orc said as he seated himself at the table, “the children are being loud today.”

 

“Kuzu, sit,” I ordered her as I settled down across from the elder.

 

She hesitatingly stepped over to the table and settled down, her shoulders scrunched down and her ears flat against her head. She looked at the three orcs who were present with obvious fear, though she managed to not whimper like a baby. I was a little proud of her for that.

 

“Human tongue? What a foul tasting language,” the elder grunted.

 

The female orc sat down next to the old orc, though she never touched him. In fact there’d been a sort of separation between all three of the orcs throughout the entire walk. Even as she seated herself the Umbra leaned up against a wall near the back corner, his interest in Kuzu obvious with how much he stared.

 

“My name is Fenix, and my familia was once friends with the Crackers,” I told the elder before I motioned at Kuzu, “she is Kuzu.”

 

“Ho ho, the Crackers! I haven’t seen one of their familia in at least a hundred years,” the old orc commented, “I am Lorak, and this is my daughter Utsa.”

 

“Are you the spokesman for this place?”

 

“For now.” Lorak pounded his fist against the table top, and then he pointed his other hand at Kuzu. “Are you sure you won’t sell her? I know a Bone who’d sell his familia’s rights for a kitsune girl.”

 

“Her familia would seek vengeance if I did that,” I replied, “I have a better deal for you anyways.”

 

“Better than a kitsune? I doubt you have the rocks for that.”

 

“I didn’t bring any of those,” I regretfully informed him, “though I was wondering. You’re still stuck with only trading to orcs right?”

 

"Sometimes the humans on the nineteenth trade," Lorak said with a sigh.

 

“The kitsune are still sore over your invasion aren’t they?” I pressed for an answer that I already knew.

 

"Last time I sent someone to talk to the kitsune they murdered him and left him hanging from a tree," Lorak growled as he slammed his fist against the table. A crack formed in the hardwood at the point of impact.

 

"Dralg was an idiot, he probably tried to fight them instead of talk to them," came the rough voice of Utsa. "Never send a Blood to do a Stones job."

 

"Dralg was your fiance so be happy you didn't get stuck with him," Lorak half-yelled at Utsa

 

"If I offer you a way to trade with the kitsune how much would that be worth?"

 

Utsa gargled. In all my previous life I’d never heard an orc make that noise before, but somehow she still managed to do it. Lorak glared at her, but then turned his attention back to me.

 

“If you can get me exclusive rights to the kitsune,” he said with an almost dreamy voice, “oh the rocks I could get. You could have anything, maybe even Utsa.”

 

I lifted my hand up at that comment, if only to stop Utsa from yelling at her father. "I need two Stones markers and a slip for the nursery for a start. I’ll also need rations for two people for four years."

 

"The slip is easy enough, but four years? And markers?"

 

"I need to spend four years training with the kitsune, and the nursery is the best place for it."

 

Lorak's one bad eye twitched at that. "I see. The real question is how am I going to get the trading rights to the kitsune?”

 

“Fetch me a hide and a trustworthy messenger. I’ll write a letter to one of the skulk leaders who owes me a favor. I’ll teach your messenger how to not get killed on sight.”

 

“Utsa! Fetch Targ and a Maw hide,” Lorak ordered his daughter, “if this Elf is telling us the truth I want this dealt with immediately.”

 

Utsa didn’t argue with Lorak, though she glared at him. The elder orc turned to me after his daughter had stomped out of the room, pointedly ignoring how upset she was. “You do understand that I can’t agree to what you want until you deliver?”

 

“The kitsune and I will need a place to rest. I’m sure you’re willing to share food with us until news comes back?”

 

“Share food?” Lorak laughed at that. “You’re going to stay with Utsa and I, I’m not letting any other familia even get a chance at talking to you.”

 

☗ ☗ ☗ ☗ ☗

 

It was four days later that we gathered near the portal of the sixteenth floor. Lorak, Utsa, and a couple more orcs of their familia had escorted us happily to it. Along the way the old orc had spoken at length about all of his plans to further the trade with the kitsune, most of which were centered on getting more gems.

 

When we reached the portal Lorak handed over the permission slip, markers, and even a requisition for supplies from the nursery storehouse. “If you get bored of training you can always stop by for a drink or two,” Lorak said to me with one of his hideous grins.

 

“I’d better not, I know how strong an orc ale can get,” I offered my hand to him, “thank you for your help though.”

 

Lorak took my hand and shook it with a bit too much force. “Keep yourself safe little Elf. The nursery isn’t meant for weak races like yours, don’t let your guard down while you’re there.”

 

“You don’t need to worry about me,” I reassured the orc.

 

Before I was dragged into another discussion by Lorak I turned to the portal and approached it. Next to me Kuzu followed quickly enough, though she had a hard time not peeking over her shoulder at the gathered orcs.

 


Floor 17

The Orc Nursery


"Nursery?" was the first thing Kuzu said once we were clear of the orcs.

 

I slid my sword back into the scabbard, having automatically gone into a battle stance as usual. “That’s right, this is the orc nursery.” I started to walk away from Kuzu and off in an eastern direction. “So long as you have that marker on you no orc will attack.”

 

The landscape of the nursery was a tad unusual. While the arrival point was in the middle of a forest a mere handful of yards away everything changed. Rocky hills that fell into canyons, valleys and rivers that criss crossed seemingly at random, and giant lakes filled with surreal fish were only the beginning of what the floor had to offer.

 

As Kuzu and I walked I could see shadows in the sky, while my ears picked up the sound of a variety of monsters that lurked amongst the gullies. While this was called a nursery it wasn’t meant for babies, but rather this was the training ground for orc children. It was only here that they would be turned into proper warriors, or they would die in the process.

 

Eventually we arrived at the top of a cliff. Out across the horizon what looked to be blue flowers bloomed, though they were actually crystals. With my eyesight I could make out a few orcs here and there as they trained, though none of them worked together.

 

“Oh that’s beautiful,” Kuzu said as she looked out at the giant field of crystals.

 

“Kuzu, put the marker on,” I told her as I pulled mine out from the pocket I’d stowed it in. It was a crude necklace with an onyx, one that had a symbol carved into it.

 

“Um...okay,” Kuzu slowly mirrored my action, though one of her ears was tilted. “Why are we doing all of this?”

 

For the first time since I’d put it on I removed the watch from my wrist. I gently placed it on Kuzu’s own, and then took off the sunglasses and slid them onto her face. “You’re not ready for the next few floors,” I told Kuzu bluntly, “and pretty soon I won’t be able to protect you let alone myself.”

 

“That’s not really answering my question.”

 

“Lisa, you’re in charge of her. I’ll bring food and check in every so often, but aside from that it’s up to you to teach her for the first year or so,” I told my daughter.

 

“Sure thing daddy!” Lisa exclaimed happily from the watch, “I’ll teach her everything I can about everything so she’ll be super smart!”

 

“Wait, what are you talking about?” Kuzu asked with a hint of panic in her voice.

 

“Your first lesson is that those crystals out there respond to sound. The louder you are, the sharper they get. Before we get to your training I’m going to let you ask me one question as a reward.”

 

Kuzu froze at that as her eyes widened. Her tail flicked behind her excitedly but she remained quiet for a while. I could almost hear her brain as it worked hard at whatever she was thinking.

 

“Will you ever betray me?” Kuzu finally asked.

 

It was a question I hadn’t expected, as I figured she’d want to know more about my past life. I couldn’t resist the smile that appeared on my face. “No, I’m never going to betray you.” I reached out and gently patted her on the head. “I won’t abandon you, and I’ll help you become a stronger version of yourself. Do you think you’re ready for training now?”

 

“Yes!” Kuzu smiled brightly at me.

 

I gave a nod of my head and promptly picked Kuzu up and threw her off the cliff. Before she’d hit the ground I’d already turned and walked away.

☗ ☗ ☗ ☗ ☗

 

Herein ends Volume 1 of Grave of the Goddess

 

7