12. The Dwarven Mountains
202 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Geez… how much longer is he going to sleep?”

Frosty poked the sleeping Exrite beside her and sighed.

It’s been a full day since their departure from the Capital, and already they could see the jagged tips of the mountains. The road they followed was rough, and the surrounding trees were thinly spread. Short, golden grass reigned the mountainside, with little thickets here and there.

Wildlife flourished in these parts, and so did the few adventurers who wanted to hunt smaller creatures.

“Leave him alone sis. He stayed up all night for us.”

“I just wanted to see if he was as much of a brick as you are when you’re asleep.”

A soft frown formed on the man’s face as he mushed his cheek against the folded cloth sack. He remained asleep across Frosty on the wooden bench.

Khaos gently held the leather reins, as the horses made a slow galop through the vast landscape. Dust kicked behind them in a blinding cloud, the empty cavity of the carriage heavily dragged along with loud clanks.

Strangely, it served as a lullaby for the silent Exrite who slept with their mouth slightly agape. He thoughtlessly mumbled:

“I’m home.”

“Sleep talking again, is he? Must be a good dream then. At least there he can find some peace in there.”

“Peace, huh…”

Her eyes glittered under the morning sun as she admired the beautiful mountains ahead. Soon, the path had disappeared altogether as they trailed the golden grass. The unsteady rocking caused Exrite to weakly pry his eyes open.

Met with the sight of a herd of hopping goats, he smiled. The goats were fluffy like sheep, and had bony shields on their heads as opposed to traditional horns.

“Weird.” His weak voice could only utter as he drew himself up into an exaggerated yawn. “Noon already?”

“It’s still morning. Go back to sleep and get some more rest.” Frosty instructed from across with folded arms as she watched him sluggishly rub the side of his face.

“Shit… no, I’m good for now. We’re already this close to the mountains?”

“Yeah. We’re just going to enter the valley and test our luck with the northern-most mountain. Looks like the kind of place the dwarves would carve their city into.”

“That so…”

His response was weak compared to Khaos’ energetic briefing, and left the siblings smiling to the rare sight of an unmotivated Exrite.

“You sounded like you were having a nice dream.” Khaos added.

Immediately, a perplexed look formed across Exrite’s drowsy face.

“Ah… about that – I’ve been having these weird dreams lately.”

Ever since he was given the Eye of Despair, his only place of serenity was slowly becoming cloudy, and harder to reach than before. He was afraid that this was a side effect of the ensuing insanity.

The iconic sounds of the goats shook the air as they ran by, a few nudging the caravan as Frosty slouched forward.

“Strange dreams, huh. What kind of dreams?” Khaos lent an ear for him as he skilfully drove the caravan through more of the oncoming herds.

He didn’t have an immediate response and only looked out into the distance. The vastness of the golden space surrounding them travelled until a wall of emerald trees.

“It feels almost as if I’m really awake, sometimes. Ever since this eye, my dreams have been progressively longer.” He complained and sighed.

Just then, he dreamt he was back in the Kingdom of Enthile during the days of his youth. The happiness and warmth of that time caused him to lower his gaze as he wondered what went wrong.

Of course, he knew what happened – his regenerative ability was a phenomenon akin to immortality, and caused even those closest to him to envy the mysterious gift.

He kept a neutral front in front of the peering Frosty, who caught him staring off in a daze. But even with the façade, he couldn’t hide his soul.

“We can only move forward.” He spoke with assurance, audible enough for Frosty to smile in satisfaction as Khaos nodded from the front.

“Dreamt something from the past? I still get that a lot. You know, it wasn’t easy for us when we were young.”

Khaos reeled his head into the sky with a gentle smile.

“At least it’s all over, right?”

The silence from Frosty made the man chuckle to himself as his smile disintegrated. His eyes focused onto the reins clutched in his armoured grip as he clamped his mouth shut.

With a loud, exasperated sigh, Frosty slapped the back of her brother’s head.

“Tough on the outside, but as weak as wet paper on the inside. Khaos, I’ve been with you for since the beginning – you know that we can’t just shrug off the past like it was nothing.”

He clicked his tongue and howled with a comedic expression.

“Yeah, and so what? Even if it’s painful, I’m not going to stop charging in head first. HYA!”

His cry startled the drowsy Exrite who shot awake and almost threw himself from the bench.

“Hey! You’re going to break the caravan you idiot!”

Paying no heed to his sister, the horses roared as he flicked the leather reins. They galloped with haste across the plains on an incline and approached the wide mouth of the vast valley.

Long shadows from the nearby mountains dimmed the entrance as the caravan noisily overtook a small family of goats. When the reached the small peak of the hill, the horses immediately paused and cried, as if they too were astonished by the immaculate beauty of the valley below.

“Woah…”

The words of astonishment left the mouth of a wide-eyed Frosty.

Before them, was a sight worth engraving into their memories forever. The golden plains continued through the sloped valley, until they met with the sandy shorelines of a giant central lake. Many rocky outcrops jutted from the valley, while unnaturally large boulders guarded the shores.

It was like a world of its own. Lower altitude clouds hovered through and cast contrasting shadows across the valley.

“I was expecting nothing but a forest, and I’m glad I was wrong!” Khaos failed to contain his excitement as he turned back to the group with a beaming face.

“Hey – there’s a staircase carved into the northern mountain.” Exrite pointed out, too sharing a pleasant smile as the group followed his finger.

“The dwarves made it easy for us then.” Frosty grinned traced the steps which elevated in a zig-zag manner to a large opening near the top of the mountain. “Let’s go!”

“Already on it!”

He whipped the reins energetically as they made a gradual descend through the valley floor.

The ecosystem here contained more variety than the plains outside, housing antlered rabbits and playful wolves which gave chase. From the small groups of trees scattered across the valley, flocks of many tiny birds flew and scooped the water from the lake with their beaks.

“Those are crabs!?” Exrite suddenly blurted as he rose from his seat.

The boulders that surrounded the lake suddenly rattled and sprung out their large, overarching legs as two twig-like eyes popped from beneath their armour.

They used their large claws to futilely swipe at the air as the birds passed far above them.

“Haha! What!? They really are crabs!” Frosty found herself surprised enough to briefly laugh uncharacteristically.

Exrite wondered how they survived at all if they could barely reach their prey – until a small pack of goats wandered too close to the waterhole and were quickly snatched underneath their rocky hide.

“Aw. Poor goat.”

Khaos thoroughly enjoyed hearing his sister enjoy herself for the time being. He kept it to himself, however. It was welcoming to know that Frosty hadn’t killed off her childish side, but instead, hid it behind the depths of her cold front.

The bumpy terrain they rode towards the base of the mountain was generous. Golden strands of sweet-scented grass filled the air as the caravan cleanly ploughed through.

Adventurers were also seen wandering about the valley. Some playfully interacting with the wildlife, while others hunted down packs of goats for meat or rabbits for their precious antlers.

And far few had parked their caravans at the foot of the staircase leading up to the supposed dwarven city.

They were at last close enough to disembark from their caravan. Steadily, Khaos rode the vehicle to a stop as Exrite pat the iron crossbow from his waist and the pouch containing its ammunition.

Frosty only carried a small bag containing rations, should something go awry. As they threw themselves onto their feet with heavy thuds, apart from Frosty, they met by the side for a quick debrief.

“We’re only here for the limeite, and the off chance of cobalt.” Exrite laid out the primary and secondary objectives of their plunge into buried city. “We get the ores, and then we get out.”

Acknowledging him, Khaos joked:

“Exrite, you have your sword on you this time?”

He tapped the handle sticking from his back.

“Right here. What’s the supplies like?”

Frosty unclipped the pouch and immediately answered:

“Four bottles of water, one jar of coffee, and a lot of dried fruits and bread.”

“If we ever need more food, we can always come back here.” Khaos eyed a strolling rabbit.

“Then we’re set. I just hope the horses don’t run away.” Frosty shut the pouch and spun it behind her waist.

They all gave an acknowledging nod before they made their short walk towards the foot of the stone staircase.

Its age was easily shown through the many cracks and wear it endured over the last thousand years. For the size of the dwarves, the stairs were rather wide, which allowed at least four people to safely climb with some extra space to spare.

Khaos abruptly paused for a moment and stared up at the towering entrance high above.

“Something wrong?” Exrite turned to him with wonder, placing a black boot on the first step.

“… Nothing at all.” He hummed and gulped, resuming a walk.

“Will you be alright on this?” Frosty seemed to smell the fear that reeked from her brother as he fanned his hand.

“Nah… I should be fine.”

His shaky voice didn’t convince her, but she paid no heed to it and sighed as Exrite began to lead them up the stairs.

“How long do you think it took them to carve this through the mountain?” Frosty curiously asked Exrite as she stepped over a small crack.

“With a lot of dwarves, probably weeks. They’re masters with anything to do with metal and stone – carving into the side of a mountain is within their comfort zone.”

“Heh. Maybe that’s why they’re not being prosecuted like the demi-humans. They’re too useful for the human empire in the Skathow region to turn into enemies.”

“That, and their cities are built like fortresses. Not even the strongest magic could wipe them from the face of Corozin.”

Frosty hummed as she leaned out and stared up at the entrance high above.

“Makes you wonder about the strength of the Demons then.” She reeled herself back and shook her head when she saw Khaos holding his hands near her. “I’m not going to fall off, relax you big baby.”

“Are you afraid of heights or something?”

Exrite jokingly asked but was met with an unexpected response.

Dread. I dread heights.”

“You we’re ok at the castle, weren’t you?”

“T-this and that are diff- entirely different things.”

He was adamant despite the nervousness in his voice, which made Exrite smile as he learnt something new about him.

The image of such a towering man cowering from heights was amusing to him, but he didn’t make fun of him for it. After all, he had some rather odd things he was unnaturally afraid of.

Behind his calm demeanour, he wondered how narrow the passageways in the collapsed dwarven city would be. The very thought caused his throat to tighten as he discretely clenched his fists.

While Frosty chuckled, they continued to climb. The winds silently howled and flung her open robes behind, partially blinding Khaos who threw another fearful fit.

When they reached the top, they were greeted with two towering pillars which pried the massive entrance open. An assortment of an abandoned campfires and scattered trash made them realise that they weren’t alone. Further solidifying it –

A small group of adventurers calmly circled an amateur campfire, having what they assumed was breakfast.

But they ignored them after a single glance as Exrite pat his waist. Suddenly, his methodical pats became frantic as realisation hit him.

“I forgot the sack.” He honestly admitted and began searching the remaining trash for anything useful.

But Frosty was two steps ahead of him.

“There’s one laying on top of the campfire remains. Hey, do these belong to you?” She pointed out before turning to the seated group with a neutral face.

“Not at all. That’s garbage a previous group left behind just an hour ago.” A man who Exrite presumed was a swordsman stated with a friendly smile. “Searching for the fabled limeite as well?”

“What else do people come here for?” Frosty’s voice was cold, as Exrite snatched the cloth bag and folded it into a back pocket.

To the man, he lightly laughed as a few of his other members glared at her with some hostility. One of the two dwarves amongst the group of five sighed.

“With only three in a party? Value your lives a bit more.” The male dwarf spoke with an accent so thick, that it rivalled his glorious beard. “Why not come join us on the expedition? A group of eight is surely better than a lousy three.”

“Sorry, but we’re in a hurry.” Exrite quickly replied with an adamant stance.

While he was less built than Khaos, his physique certainly something to admire. Particularly the swordsman, who wondered where he had gotten his training from.

But most importantly – he was awed by Khaos’ massive blade, which hung from his back. The others deliberately avoided that at all costs, but he found it impossible to part from it.

“Leave them alone and stop staring! We signed the contract at the Guild for only a five-man party.” A black-haired woman aggressively whispered.

Exrite looked over at his own companions before he flung his face towards the dimly lit entrance. The insides of the hallway were perfectly maintained.

Interesting. Then the collapse must’ve occurred deeper.

“It’s not binding, you know. Is a white knight going to suddenly spring up and ask for coins, or make us pay with our blood?” Another armoured man sarcastically laughed at her.

Exrite clicked his tongue and settled to move forward, ignoring the swordsman who tried to gain his attention. Soon, their voices became soft mutters as they passed through the perfectly carved hallway, which was lined with glowing gems.

Some flickered, while others were far dimmer than others. The inconsistency made Frosty’s eyes strain.

“I feel like I’m about to start convulsing.” She muttered and tightly pinched between her eyes.

“Then close your eyes and hold onto my… just my hand then.”

He suddenly remembered that his shirt was tucked deeply within his armour. Frosty didn’t mind his slightly moist palms and softly chuckled.

“I didn’t know you had a short fuse, Exrite.”

“Just for those kinds of people. Not really in the mood as well.” He cautiously stared ahead and watched for any deviations on the size of the hallway.

She didn’t seem convinced. Rather, there was a hint of anxiousness in his voice, which she easily picked up.

“Afraid of the dark?”

“Tight spaces.” He corrected her joking jab with an unwavering face.

An unwelcoming silence surrounded them as they ventured deeper into the tunnel, eventually coming across a set of descending stairs.

“Want me to hold your hand as well?” She joked, causing him to faintly smile.

“Fuck- I don’t want to laugh here.” He sighed and placed a hand onto the girl’s head for a gentle pat.

She immediately shook it off and stared up at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Is that how you show your thanks when you’re too embarrassed?”

“Probably.”

* * *

A glowing orb was all they had to illuminate the darkness surrounding them, as they traversed down the grand, spiral staircase. Fissures and strange, red vines overran the surrounding staircase and provided pleasant stability for each step. A sour smell emanated from an unknown location, along with the stench of iron.

Upon further inspection, the red vines had strange particles flowing through, as if it were an oversized blood vessel. It provided natural light for the slanted staircase beneath them. Mana was not an issue for Frosty in this place, as the green vines across the walls reeked with the valuable source of energy.

She silently thanked that she didn’t have to burn another soul for their mana.

“I can see a few souls far ahead. Probably the adventures those guys were talking about.”

They finally arrived at yet another corridor. But this time –

Exrite held his breath as he placed a hand on his chest.

“Cluttered and dilapidated… give me a second.”

Nauseous to the obstacle before them, he leaned over his knees and managed to maintain his breathes, as Khaos gently patted his back for comfort.

“Take your time. We’ll go first, and you follow. Don’t worry, it’s been like this for a thousand years, what are the chances of it caving in now?”

“Through the fucking roof.” Exrite choked and slapped his face in an attempt to recompose himself. “Fuck… yeah, I’ll follow. Sorry about that.”

Frosty worriedly watched Exrite hold a quite uneasy stance to the dangerous mess ahead.

The surrounding pillars that kept the hallway from caving in, piled onto each other and created a jagged wall with narrow openings. It wasn’t as deep as they thought, as a bright light clearly shone from the other side.

“If I can fit, then anyone can get through.” Khaos gave him a thumbs up and slid himself through the sleek crevasse.

The handle of his oversized blade scraped against the wall as dust shuffled onto his armoured shoulders. Once on the other side, he brightly smiled and beaconed Exrite to come through.

“I hope it doesn’t fall down.” He reluctantly slid himself through with furrowed eyes as intense sweat fled from every pore in his body.

A sense of unrelenting urgency caused his breathing to hasten, as his heart ticked faster than any clock. He could feel the gears grinding against the flesh beneath as he endured the tight squeeze.

After what seemed like an eternity, he completely made it through and fell to his knees in respite.

“Shit…” He whispered to himself in self-loathe before Khaos stroked his back once more. “I’m fine now. Thank you, Khaos.”

Frosty elegantly passed through with minimal effort and tapped the fallen Exrite’s head.

“This isn’t the hardest part, you know?”

“Yeah… let’s go.” He weakly recovered and brushed himself off before leading the group forward once again.

The illuminous orb was no longer necessary, as light flooded their vision from the end of the short tunnel. They raised a hand to protect their eyes as they approached and cringed to the sudden surge of light.

When they suspected their eyes had readjusted, they awakened.

“A fortress…”

Exrite was marvelled by the unbelievable sight before them.

In the hollow cavity of the vast space before them – stood a ruined city, plagued with giant boulders and extensive debris. The ceiling of the cave allowed the natural sunlight to flow through, although a passing cloud prevented this.

“So many gemstones! But how do you even get to them?” Frosty was baffled by the many giant precious stones that slept in the walls of the cave.

The gemstones were the source of the blinding light.

From sapphire to diamonds – to sizes rivalling the giant gems embedded into the gates of the Capital. It was utterly astonishing for the group, as it was their first time exploring the depths of Six Point.

“I wish I knew…”

“It doesn’t look as bad from here. But below, it’s far worse.” Khaos slowly muttered as he mourned for the many thousands of lives that had been lost.

This was their eternal graveyard, or more fittingly – a dwarven necropolis.

The cities of the dwarves were engineered to contain multiple layers beneath the ground, some layers being specifically built for various functions – such as a metalworks or masonry.

Unlike Exrite and Frosty who stared in awe at the beautifully-disturbing sight, Khaos was far more interested in the knowledge the thousand-year-old civilisation potentially had on his race – the Frostbitten.

Keeping the motive to himself, he took the first step down the staircase and turned his head.

“Let’s split up.”

6