Chapter 8.5 “Better Bushwhack The Jungle”
1.9k 10 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                                                                                       “Better Bushwhack The Jungle”

June 20th, 2040: Unknown Jungle Location

 

“This is fuckin’ bullshit.” Cameron grumbled, holding his rifle above his head to avoid it getting wet in the green, waist-deep water they were trudging through. 

“Oh Jesus Christ, can you quit complaining! You’ve been at it for hours now!” Joseph fired. 

“Hey! If it wasn't for your dumbass driving into that bog I wouldn't have anything to complain about!” At this point Sergeant Walker turned around and backhanded Cameron across the face, nearly making him lose balance.

“One more fuckin’ word out of you and I will drown you in this swamp, got it?” Walker hissed, leaving a stunned Cameron to follow their very pissed-off squad leader.

“Hey Sarge! We got some land over here!” Up ahead Daric called out while standing on a piece of moss-covered ground.

“About goddamn time! I don’t want to spend another damn second in this green shit.” Walker quickened his pace with Cameron and Joseph following in toe. 

“I gotta say though Sarge, these trees are…well, what the hell is it?” Daric strained his neck to look at just how tall these moss-covered trees were. 

“Yeah, this place feels like what you get when you flood a redwood forest. These trees are insane.” Joseph compared. 

 

He wasn't wrong in thinking that. This place looked to be a hybrid of a swamp, mangrove and giant sequoia-style trees mixed in with elements of a jungle. Very reminiscent of several places Americans have had a very bad time.

 

The marines used their combat knives to trailblaze through the undergrowth as they forged ahead, the day wore on, Daric at the front held his compass flat with the needle pointing southeast. 

“We’re off course again.” Daric slowly turned to face east once again.

“Jesus Christ, I feel like we’re going in zig-zags.” Walker looked around at the jungle. It seemed to just go on and on with the sea of green and brown. 

“There was no way the humvee could have gotten through here.” Joseph shot a look at Cameron who returned it.

“What? You trying to make a point huh?” Cameron huffed. “At least the humvee was warm and protected us from whatever is in this damn place.” 

“Hey sarge, weren't you in brazil for a training op?” expertly shifting the conversation Joseph turned his attention to Walker who looked over his shoulder.

“Yep, and oh boy was it awful. Nearly half of the soldiers got Malaria and we nearly lost two tanks because the drivers thought they could plow through a wetland. This place is practically the same with the difference of these massive trees.” He pointed to one of the larger trees around them.” 

“Bet that was a sight to see.” Cameron chuckled however Walker stopped dead in his tracks.

“You got a problem private? Cause I’m starting to get tired of your shit.” Walker was standing in front of him with his drill sergeant side starting to show.

“I don’t know Sergeant, it seems I’m not the one with a problem.” Cameron smirked.

 

This was the snapping point for Walker. Grabbing Cameron by the collar he pinned him against a nearby tree. 

“We’ve been fucking out here for five fucking days and all you can do is fucking complain! So yeah, I’m getting fucking tired of it!” Walker yelled. At this point, Joseph tried to force himself between the two.

“Woah calm down Sargent! We are on the same side here! I’m sure Cameron won’t do it again, right?” Joseph glared at the now fearful private.

“Y-yeah--I mean, yes Sergeant!” Cameron barked, making Walker release him. Walking over to Daric he grabbed the compass and his knife.

“Rotate.” He growled before using excessive force to cut down some vines. “Fuck this fucking jungle! I swear once we get out of here I am going to burn this place to the ground!” With that, Daric turned to the other two who just shrugged it off.  

“We should find somewhere to set camp soon, it’s about to be sundown and I don’t like the look of what clouds I can see.” Daric pointed above them, dark gray clouds roamed overhead. 

“Great, rain. What next, bigfoot?” Walker sneered. 

 

Not long after Walker had started, his boot slipped on a piece of moss, nearly causing him to fall. Looking down at his feet, the grinded away moss revealed what looked to be a brick or some stone that was too rectangular to be natural. Grinding away more of the moss revealed more of these supposed bricks.

“Are we on a road?” Walker questioned while trying to find the edges of it.

“If it is, whoever built it doesn't use it anymore given the moss and vegetation blocking it.” Joseph knelt to examine the bricks. 

“Think we should follow it? Maybe it leads to a village or something?” Cameron proposed with mixed reactions from his comrades. 

“I’d rather not but we don’t have much of a choice here, I say we do it.” Leaning on the massive root of a tree Daric scanned their surroundings. “Man, this place gives me the hebejebes.” 

“Well, Cameron it was your idea, lead the way.” Walker smirked at Cameron who now had a dejected look but didn't dare argue. 

“All right then, we go…north!” With no rhyme or reason, Cameron started down the old path to… somewhere. 

 

Fighting through the overgrown foliage, the gang continued along the path, having to stop at points to dig at the ground to make sure they were still on track. With the sky turning a light orange and the jungle floor getting ever darker Cameron quickened his pace, but immediately stopped when his knife hit something hard, causing a heavy thud.

“The hell? Hey guys I think I found something.” Cameron turned to the rest who all immediately readied their rifles with Walker moving to Cameron's side with Caroline, his best friend and favorite shotgun. Tearing away the vines and leaves revealed wooden planks, worn and rotting. Searching around Cameron found what looked to be something that once could have been considered a handle, now reduced to a rusted nub.

“Is there a damn house out here?” Daric took a couple steps back to examine the wall in front of them. Sure enough, looking closer there were indeed windows and even a brick wall in front of them which had been completely overtaken by nature. It was near impossible to get an accurate scale because of it. Cameron turned his attention back to the supposed door and stared at what used to be the handle.    

“Damn, Welp, plan b.” Cameron took a step back then kicked the door; only to have his foot go straight through the rotten wood with the rest of him following shortly after. 

“Oh shit!” Cameron yelped while face planting onto the floor, now covered in splintered wood. He looked back to see his comrades were on the floor laughing their collective asses off. 

“Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me you dumba--” Walker couldn’t even finish before wheezing from laughter again.

“Yeah yeah ok. Now would you lend me a hand here?” Cameron brushed off the splinters with Joseph coming to help him up. 

 

After that amazing show, the rest entered through what could be called a door, if you were feeling particularly generous, finding themselves inside a near pitch-black entrance hall, only streaks of orange light crept through the foliage outside. Using tac light attachments, they scanned their surroundings. 

“Well, whoever lived here is long gone.” Daric raised his rifle to the high ceiling where a cobweb-infested chandelier greeted them. In front was a dual staircase along the walls, with a large double door sitting between them. 

“Secure the ground floor first.” Walker ordered while taking point. moving towards the door he pushed the door, which, as should be expected in a structure this rundown, gave way immediately, causing the door to crash to the floor and in a cloud of wood dust and splinters.

“Man, this place is falling apart, I almost want to sleep in a tree over than this place.” Daric shined his light on where the hinges were once connected, the wood had been ripped off. 

“I’m inclined to agree, but I rather be in here than out there with god knows what roaming around.” Walker motioned to the entrance hole before continuing forward and into the long hallway.

 

Many Room Clearings Later

 

“Room Clear!” Daric announced by flipping his rifle back down the hallway.

After clearing God knows how many rooms, the Americans ran into a cross-section. With the hallways seemingly winding around the whole floor. 

“Christ, we are going to be here all night clearing this place. Should we just go back to the entrance?” Cameron aimed his rifle down one of the halls. 

“Yeah, Daric you be on first watch for--” Walker interrupted himself snapping Caroline to the hallway in front of them. The rest pointed their rifles in confusion. 

“You hear something Sarge?” Daric whispered. 

“Unless I’m starting to lose it, I heard creaking boards ahead.” Walker slowly crept forward with the hallway continuing past the light of his flashlight, only stopping when a spine-tingling noise started to echo from down the hall.

“Is that a music box?” Joseph turned to Cameron who looked whitewashed.

“Nah, nah man. I didn't walk through five days of hell just to get killed by some horror movie bullshit.” Cameron was about to leave when Walker grabbed his shoulder.

“Get your shit together private!” Walker growled.

 

With carefully placed steps, Walker moved down the hallway with the sound of the music box growing louder. Eventually, his light reached another door, but unlike its counterparts, this one seemed to be in pristine condition. Reaching for the handle Walker slowly pulled the door and all of their eyes widened with shock.

 

In front of them was what one could only describe as a grand library. Towering bookshelves filled to the brim with books. A second floor above showed much the same with a glass skylight allowing the blue light from the moon to illuminate the red carpet. Thoroughly confused, Walker shuffled his way in, only to nearly unload a round of buckshot into a yellow orb slowly floating past him. Watching it he saw there were many more of these orbs floating around. 

“Just what on God's green earth is this place?” Joseph lowered his rifle and looked around the library in awe.

“Seems whatever this place was, it was a fountain of knowledge. But where is that damn music coming from?” Cameron walked over to the right of the group where it seemed to be originating. Hearing that it was behind one of the smaller bookshelves he turned the corner. 

“There you are--holy shit!” Cameron yelped while falling backward, accidentally discharging two rounds. 

“Report private!” Walker rushed over to see what caused Cameron to fall and nearly fell back himself. 

 

A young girl with a simple smile on her face. Wearing a black dress embellished with a single large green gem at the top near her nape. Walker’s vision quickly realized this girl wasn't fully human, having two orange feline ears and a bushy tail readily made that apparent, not to mention the faint white glow around her. After looking down his sights his eyes widened in realization that he could see the wall of books behind her.

“Who are you, and why can I see through you?” Walker demanded, but the girl shook her head then pointed to her throat.

“Yo guys, she might be a spirit…or something similar. Sorry about shooting you, ma’am.” Cameron watched as the girl gave a nod of agreement and smiled. 

“Ok that's…interesting. I guess it’s gonna be near impossible to ask what this place was.” Daric sighed. However, the spirit seemed to know an answer to his curiosity. Walking over to one of the many shelves she removed a book. She then handed it to Daric who flipped through the pages.

“Umm, are any of you guys able to read runes?” He showed the others the page he was on and none of them understood a single symbol. 

“Looks like drunk Chinese to me. I’m guessing this was a place to learn magic?” Cameron looked to the spirit who gave a ‘sort of’ affirmation.

 

Losing the desire to sleep, they roamed around the library, captivated by its beauty and their own curiosity of what it could be hiding. While rummaging around on the second floor, Cameron opened a closet to find a wooden staff with a blue gen glowing at the top.

“Hey guys! Look what I found!” Cameron held the staff above the railing for all to see. 

Yoo,  think you could do any magic?” Daric’s eyes seemed to light up.

“I have no idea, uhh.” Cameron pointed the staff to the skylight. “Abracadabra!”

 

Suddenly the blue gem glowed brightly before discharging lightning from it. Causing Cameron to jump back, dropping the staff.

“Holy shit!” Cameron cautiously picked up the staff again with a look of amazement on his face.

“The hell did you just do?” Walker poked his head around a bookshelf.

“I believe I just became a goddamn wizard Sergeant. With your permission, I request leave to follow my true calling.” Walker glanced at the spirit girl who gave a simple nod of agreement.

“Granted, just watch where you point that thing, and if you kill anyone we’re leaving you here.” Walker went back to trying to decipher his book. 

“Understood sarge! Now, what else can you do I wonder?” Cameron walked off to find a safe corner to practice with his newfound Danger Stick.

 

Joseph was off sitting on a rocking chair sorting through books in the vain hope of finding one in English or really just any language he could understand. While trying to decode an image of what looked like the Star of David, with different symbols at each point, faint footsteps next to him broke his attention.

“Oh, hello ma’am.” Joseph smiled at the spirit girl, who returned it with a shallow bow. “I don’t suppose there's anything here written in English? Joseph waved to the stacks of books by his feet. The spirit took a look at the books before holding out her right arm and opening her palm towards the book Joseph was holding. Wisps of white fog shot out from her hand with it washing over the book. The unknown symbols slowly morphed into English lettering, leaving Joseph beyond confused.

“I--how--you just--what?” Joseph glanced at the book then at the spirit multiple times. The spirit simply smiled and stepped back with one of the yellow orbs landing on her hand, disappearing into her skin.

“Magic is weird…” Joseph sighed in defeat, trying to understand it was beyond his paygrade. Looking back at the book, the pentagram now had English on it.

“Hey guys, listen to this!” Joseph called out with everyone coming from their spots across the library. “It seems magic comes in two major forms, soul magic and gemstone magic. For those that are magically inept, they must use gemstones to wield it while those with the strength and willpower can wield something called soul essence. However the catch is unless you use a book, staff, or something similar as a casting point, the magic is greatly weakened, but it does say the strongest and most reviled magic uses a soul as its catalyst.” 

“Are there elements?” Cameron questioned Joseph who flipped through a few pages.

“Sort of. From what I can understand from this book, it’s based on the gemstone used, with soul essence being able to form any kind but at a reduced capacity; And for your information Cameron, the gemstone you have is considered to be the middle of the road in terms of power. With it ranging yellow, orange, blue, green then finally purple. Though supposedly there is a sixth gemstone, but it’s so rare it’s considered little more than a myth, with no one truly even knowing what it does.”

“Huh, interes--wait a minute! How are you reading this?” Walker grabbed the book from Joseph’s hands.

“Oh, the fox lady did some magic…something, and translated it.” He pointed to the spirit who was shying away. 

“I feel a migraine coming on trying to understand this.” Walker gave the book back before laying down on the wooden floor. “Wake me when it’s time to go.” He put his helmet over his face. 

“He’s right, we should get some rest for tomorrow. I have first watch.” Daric in the corner had found a table to allow him to clean his rifle. “Need to do maintenance anyways.” 

 

With that, everyone but Daric and the spirit found a spot to sleep. Stripping his rifle Daric started the process of cleaning it, having the spirit standing next to him watching with a curious look. 

“Standard issued M27 rifle. Makes quick work of soft targets at ranges of seven hundred meters. Though we tend to engage a lot closer than that.” Daric explained while shoving a rifle brush through the barrel. “We have to clean our guns because of the residue the gunpowder leaves. Have you ever encountered something similar to this style of weaponry?” The spirit pondered for a moment then walked over to a wall of books and levitated to the top shelf, retrieving a book. She opened it and showed what looked to be the diagram of a gun.

“Looks to me like early black powder style.” Daric leaned closer to the image. “Seems someone was trying their hand at making an arquebus. How old is this book?” Daric questioned but the girl shrugged. “Well if it’s here then that means knowledge of black powder is out there.” But the spirit shook her head.

“Are you trying to say that this is the only book referencing it? With the decay of this place, it can’t be older than a few decades.” Once again the spirit shook her head with pointing her finger upwards “Higher”.

“Wait, this place is older? Gotta be less than a hundred.” The spirit shook her head. “What? But that's impossible with natural decay--oh right, magic.” Daric facepalmed, making the spirit let out a mute laugh in the process. The two continued to have a one-sided conversation until Cameron made his reappearance again on the balcony above.

“Once you're done Daric get some sleep. I can’t sleep thinking about all the possibilities.” with a devilish gleam in his eye, Cameron started rapidly twirling his staff, giving Daric a malicious smile. 

“Fine by me, We got a long day ahead of us tomorrow.” Daric replied while stretching. 

“About that. Since this place is so full of the knowledge of this world. Wouldn't the top brass want to get their hands on this stuff? Maybe we should stay and wait for pickup?” Cameron watched as Daric thought about it.

“We could, but we should put it to a vote tomorrow.” Daric crossed his arms on the table, laying his head in the crook of his arms and quickly falling asleep. Leaving the novice wizard and spirit to explore the wonders of magic.

50