Chapter 20 “From One Ruler To Another”
1.5k 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 20

   “From One Ruler To Another”

     

July 26th, 2040: The White House Guest Room, The United States 

 

Sitting on a comfy cloth couch, Leyna had her eyes practically glued to the flatscreen television. Having finally figured out how to use the remote, she had switched to a news channel. With the camera pointing at a desk with a brown-haired woman and in the background multiple graphs were being shown.      

 “With all major oil companies having their reserves nearly depleted because of the war, and the first wave of new oil rigs still weeks away from being constructed. Gas prices have reached a record high of twenty dollars per gallon and are expected to continue rising. Similar levels of inflation are occurring across the entire economy with products once considered common household items now being met with luxury price tags. Looking back at yesterday's press conference, The White House has still yet to announce when another conference will be held. Though, yesterday's long conference, we are left with more questions than answers.” The television then switched to a recording of The White House’s press room which it was crammed with camera operators and journalists. 

“Can you validate the claim that President Dresden is trying to pursue a peace treaty with the nation we are at war with?” One journalist questioned Ivar, the Press Secretary.

“No. No such actions are happening at this time while Operation Phoenix is still underway. What I can say is the war is heavily in our favor with nearly a third of the enemies' territory under U.S. control. Should everything go to plan, their capital will fall before September. Next?” Ivar then pointed to a young man near the front of the room.

“Rumors around The White House and photos were taken a few weeks ago show a military convoy escorting unmarked vehicles, and royalty from a nation that “Task Force Pioneer” contacted. Is this true?”

“Yes. However I am not at liberty to go into details about it. Next?”

“Unconfirmed reports from “Task Force Pioneer” spoke about seeing other humanoid races, with many expressing animal characteristics. Is this true?” 

“At this time, I know nothing about other races other than humans.” Deflecting the question, Ivar quickly pointed to a different journalist. 

“Congressman Reed said in an interview that he and many republicans are not pleased about how President Dresden is handling the current crisis. With many saying that, and I quote Congressman Reed here, “We need to put America first before anything else. The last thing we need to focus on is refugees from some alien race.” What is the President's comment on this?”

“Nothing at the moment--but let it be known that this administration has no intention of putting American lives second.”          

“Sources and eyewitness accounts in Rammstein and Yokota are showing that once retired aircraft like the A-10 Warthog, F-15 Strike Eagles, AC-130 gunship variants and even the extremely dated B-52 Strategic Bomber. Why is the Air Force reactivating this outdated equipment?”

“These aircraft have been reactivated because of the role they once served, and during their time, had an outstanding performance record. In light of the enemies we fight, it was agreed that it would be safe to once again operate these aircraft in missions where they would excel at their respective role.” 

It wasn’t until Wiess had left the bathroom after having a very long shower, did Leyna peel her eyes from the television. 

“To think that nearly every American has access to this. I can only dream of the possibilities if we had something like this.” Gesturing to the television Leyna watched as Wiess brushed her hair.

“It would be nice to have access to information this quickly. Though I do wish I could understand their lettering. It seems this…creation, gives both verbal and written information about a range of topics.” Weiss moved closer to the couch. Sitting on top of its armrest, they both continued to watch the press conference.

“Has contact with any other nations been achieved yet?” Another journalist asked.

“So far, we know of the existence of The Ruppriecht Kingdom, The Plusieurs Kingdom and The Autoriario Empire. However we know that there are many more nations on this continent; If we count the other five or so continents, this number could easily reach into the hundreds. Are they as aggressive as The Plusieurs Kingdom are? We do not know yet. But we will be ready for any armed conflict against these nations. That is all for today, thank you.” As the speaker walked off the podium, he was still being bombarded with questions.   

For some time, the Keitel sisters sat and watched the news before a knock on their room door broke the captivating trance of television news. With Wiess answering the door, she was greeted with a smiling Aaron.

“Good morning Weiss, Leyna. I hope your stay at The White House has been good so far?”  

“I would say it would be comparable to a fairy tale. Everything about it is magical in its own unique ways. Where have you been for the past few days?” In the background Leyna tried her hardest to hide her smirk from Weiss’s question. 

“Well ever since we got here, I’ve been drafting and editing trade agreements with your father. Soon the first major shipment of food products along with other general consumables will be sent over The Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, I’m not here on social duty, but rather to guide you two to a conference call.” Stepping out of the way of the door, and allowing Leyna to spend a few minutes finding the “power off” button for the television, they began walking down the white sandstone halls.

“So, is my kingdom's alphabet--as you call it, aiding you?” Wiess’s curiosity sparked when she remembered their second day here when Aaron asked them to write out every single letter and special character it had, along with common words and sentences.

“Well to start, the linguistic division in charge of decoding it is over the moon with having such a challenging task. Once we finally do have an accurate understanding of your written language, it will greatly aid in written agreements and documentation for both sides.”

“Indeed, though I do wonder. Will your Congress allow it? From my limited understanding, there is a sizable portion that would rather you not do any trade with us.” Wiess watched as Aaron's face contorted, then let out a heavy sigh.

Yeah that's American politics for you… There will always be those against anything we say simply because we aren't them, don’t trouble yourself over it. The vast majority of Congress supports having a positive relationship with your kingdom.” 

“Hmm, I guess you are correct in saying that. But if I may ask another question. Why has your ‘Press Secretary’ not talked about the demi-humans and beastkin, despite being asked a direct question about the other races?” Aaron looked around them to see if anyone was eavesdropping. Seeing that it was clear for the time being, he leaned in closer to Wiess.

“Because there is a sizable amount of Americans in the south that are, to put it bluntly. Are generally unaccepting of anyone but themselves. I trust I don’t need to explain further?” The very confused and mildly shocked faces on both Weiss and Leyna did nothing in terms of comforting Aaron who sighed. “America has had a very long and…complicated history. I will see if I can get some videos or readable material for you to understand our history better. But right now, I can best sum it up as a “North versus South” issue that has never truly left our nation since its founding.”

With that information warping their once clean perception of America. The trio had reached the conference room. Knocking on the door, they were immediately greeted by Vice President Harold.

“Ah you finally made it! Please come in.” Moving to the side and stretching out his right arm, he guided the trio into the room. Once entering, Weiss was the first and only person to realize just how many powerful people were in this one room. On the American side, President Dresden, Vice President Harold and Secretary-General Edwards were present and through the massive television, King Hienrich, Queen Anna, Viscount Liutswind and Viscount Ratold were also present.

“I know I’m asking for a lot here, King Heinrich. But allowing us to build air bases inside your borders will provide great protection against any outer threat, it will also have an umbrella effect in the surrounding regions. Increasing security and reducing crime simply because of their presence. I do not expect you to get directly involved in the war with The Plusieurs Kingdom.” President Dresden tried to reassure King Hienrich. This meeting was turning into a game of tennis.  

“However, having Americans inside our lands would make that point redundant, President Dresden. I am sorry but I can not allow a foreign nation to create military fortresses within my land. It would make us look weak.” King Hienrich shook his head, thus leading Secretary-General Edwards into speaking up.

“Well Mister President, we do own the port of Händluf. It’s close enough to the border that it will be useful as a muster point for most conflicts if used in tandem with Rammstein and Yokota.”

“I was led to believe that we handed the rights to the port for economic purposes, not for military actions.” Viscount Ratold questioned Edwards who mockingly lifted up a document and quickly flipped through its pages. 

“Well there’s nothing in the fine print stating that we can’t, Viscount.” Edwards fired back.

“Please, everyone!” Stepping into view for everyone to see her. Weiss looked around the room before continuing, making sure she had the spotlight. “It is my understanding that through no fault of the Americans that they were attacked by The Plusieurs Kingdom’s armies, and now with a full-scale war raging I believe it is in our best interests to get involved. We have not been on good terms with them ever since their King died and Queen Stéphane de Châtillon took the throne without marrying another man. We also hold legitimate claims to the “Vallée De Fer Region”. Scholars believe the area to be abundant in iron and other minerals because of the rivers from the mountain range on the western side of The Autoriario Empire, before “El río Borbón”--the grand river that divides the empire in two from north to south that flows directly down into The Elven Forest. Perhaps we can come to an agreement where we allow the American Armed Forces to organize and stage inside our land and we gain our rightful claim?” Looking at President Dresden, he shifted his gaze to Vice President Harold then at Edwards. Both returning a shrug.

“Can I be guaranteed that the civilians in that region will be treated fairly and not have unfair laws put against them?” Turning back to King Hienrich, he returned a slow nod.

“Under my house name, I shall treat the region like our own regions. In exchange for this, I will allow Americans to use our lands to gather and organize. However I will not allow military action to come from my land. Only material assistance.” Hearing this, Edwards was ready to leap up from his seat.

Excuse you? We’re simply not going to hand over a resource-rich area the size of New Hampshire to you for a participation award! It’s either full military access or nothing. Mister President, the war is going to be over before September, do we really need to do this? Rammstein is not having any issues with supplying our army. The size of Rammstein and Yokota is enough to stage any large-scale military operation without trouble. Once we’ve gained full control over this kingdom, we will have the negotiation power to build bases wherever we please.” On the other side of the television, Viscounts Liutswind and Ratold both visibly recoil at Edwards's blunt word choice.

“That’s enough Edwards! From this moment forward, you can excuse yourself from this conference.” Before saying anything else he might regret later on, Edwards stormed out the room, nearly slamming the door behind him if it wasn't for Leyna catching it. “My apologies about the rude tone my Secretary-General gave towards you. His primary task is keeping our soldiers as safe as possible.” In response, King Hienrich chuckled.

“I do not fault him for his actions, I would have likely acted the same in his feet. But he did bring up a good point, President Dresden. From my own observations, I do not see why it would benefit you to use our lands at all.” 

“The fact you’re willing to give up an easy opportunity to basically get free land is what concerns me more…” President Dresden thought to himself. “While it wouldn't be necessary for us during the current war, we are thinking long term here, King Hienrich. Open conflict with The Autoriario Empire is something we are expecting once we are finished with this war or soon after it. If we get ahead of them, we can easily be done with that conflict and bring peace back to the continent.” President Dresden watched as King Hienrich simply responded by leaning back in his red cloth chair.

“You make it sound as if you can easily brush aside their armies without much effort.” Before Dresden could reply, Vice President Harold stepped in.

“I believe we are getting sidetracked here. Back to the topic on hand, King Hienrich, America has no reason to take hostile actions against your kingdom, in fact quite the opposite. You require food and basic necessities that we can provide along with security. Instead of military access into your lands, what about opening the entire kingdom to American corporations? I know in the past you didn't like the idea much, however, America’s domestic economy grows much faster through privately owned businesses than anything we--The Federal Government, can do. I am also confident I can have some of the restrictions in ‘The Technology Failsafe Act’ loosened to allow certain things like railways to be built. We can then hand this over to private corporations that have the capital to fund these projects. The economic boom would greatly benefit both our nations.”

“If I may add.” Aaron spoke. “The private sector would also greatly improve the lives of your people, from general education to better healthcare and much more. If you wish, I could set up a conference call with some of the more notable CEOs--the people who are in charge of a corporation, and you can have a direct conversation with them.”

“Hmm, yes. I do believe that to be the best course of action.” King Hienrich agreed.

“However.” Queen Anna spoke up. “I would suspect these…corporations would want to hire their own protection, leading to armed Americans inside our realm regardless. Am I wrong?”

“You’re not, Queen Anna, but they would be private military companies--PMCs for short. They have to follow a set of very strict laws unless they want to face heavy fines and potential criminal offenses, not to mention being disbanded. If you wish, I can have federal oversight over any PMCs inside your borders.” Vice President Harold proposed, with Queen Anna turning to her husband who nodded in agreement.

“I am open to broader discussions about this topic at a later date. Is there anything else you wish to discuss?” Seeing his opportunity, Aaron stepped forward.   

“Yes your majesty. Yesterday I received news from my counterparts in Hoffen that they are having a rough time acquiring the materials needed to build the embassy. They supposedly sent word to Viscount Liutswind but never received a reply.” A heavy sigh from the Viscount was all Aaron needed to hear. 

“My apologies sir Aaron, I will look into this matter at once. Though I already suspect foul play by one of my subordinates. I am continuously receiving word from many nobles and others that are not too pleased about your presence in the city after your…demonstration of your weapons. And while the royal family is thankful for your actions, President Dresden. The larger population still needs time to heal from the ordeal.”

“It is unfortunate that there was as much collateral damage as there was, but we will bear the cost of repairing everything that we damaged.” Taking a moment to glance at his watch, Dresden sighed. “It appears my time here is up. I have another scheduled meeting with the leaders in Congress about a range of issues. May God bless your kingdom, King Hienrich.”

“And may the Gods bless your nation into prosperity, President Dresden.” With that, the call was terminated and immediately President Dresden leaned back in his chair, rubbing the bridge of his nose. 

“Any more negotiations and I’ll be suffering chronic migraines.”

28