Chapter 23 “Shattering Assumptions”
1.2k 7 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 23

 “Shattering Assumptions”

     

August 7th, 2040: Alfonso City Capital, The Autoriario Empire

 

Inside his study for the eleventh day in a row, Emperor Alfonso had turned the bookshelves and the royal archive upside down and inside out for something--anything, that could explain The United States of America’s weaponry. So far, he had only come to the conclusion that nothing on Gitopollagónes could match it, not even the dwarves. 

“So it is true. They really are not from this realm.” Alfonso muttered under his breath. Closing the final book that his study could offer, and adding it to the mountain of other books that had been accumulating. Looking back at his desk, there was one book that he had placed on it, one from the reign of his father. Decades ago, Emperor Antonio III had ordered his shadows to gather information on the dwarven stronghold, Maitai-Opa-Kaha. This book had everything those shadows had gathered. Sitting down and flipping through the many pages. Alfonso always stopped on the section that covered the Dwarven advancements in steam. When word had reached Emperor Antonio III, he waved it off as the lesser races desperately tried to find crude ways to better pure humans. A young Alfonso, however, was entranced by the spectacle of steam. When the dwarfs had built a prototype steam cart that could haul small amounts of rock and metals. Whenever he had the chance he tried to pressure his father into looking into the future with such an invention and how it could be used, but was always brushed off as a naive child.

 

Continuing the flip through the book, the steam inventions got more complex as the dwarfs further perfected the art of controlling steam. Near the end of the book, the dwarves had created a steam cart that rather than hold materials and pushed itself, simply pulled normal carts behind it. Allowing the steam-powered cart to be much larger and more powerful. 

“Do the Americans use the same idea?” Alfonso knew that The United States of America had very abstract contraptions. Did they just run with the idea of stream power? Or did they find something more powerful than steam? While steam could potentially explain the horseless transportation The United States uses, it did not explain the weaponry. A steam explosion could not happen anywhere--seemingly on demand. Yet the Americans could do so, and far better than anything he had records on. It also did not explain how the Americans could somehow see things that a normal shadow could not. While he knew the most common settlements the Plusieurs Kingdom would place a rallying flag for soldiers in, the Americans knew exactly where they were at all times. 

“Even griffin scouts could not give such accurate information. So how does The United States of America do it?” Alfonso out loud questions rang unanswered through his study…or so he thought.

“You know… If you wanna learn more about us, you just have to ask.” A male voice from behind said, causing Alfonso to literally jump from his seat and over his desk. Spinning on his feet to see behind him, a tall man in strange black and white clothing leaned against the stone brick wall. Pushing himself off the wall, the man took a few steps toward Alfonso before stopping and giving a shallow bow. “Agent Mario, Central Intelligence Agency.” Hearing the last few words, Alfonso could not help himself from smiling. 

“Ah, the American Shadows, I was wondering when I would be greeted by your kind. I do have to say, you people are very difficult to follow.” Getting over his initial shock, Alfonso studied the muscular man, who seemed too calm, given the situation.  

“Thanks for the compliment, your excellency. We were one of the best in intelligence and espionage on Earth.” The man started to pace around the room, looking at the few books scattered around. “I must say, watching you scrabble around to find any information on us in these books, reminds me of my younger years at school, trying to find answers to questions that in the end, didn't matter.” 

“You are also educated? Fascinating… Do tell, how much of your populace can read and write?” Alfonso questioned. A common way he gauged the prosperity of a given nation. After all, it did cost a great deal to teach someone to read and write.

“Hmm, I believe the average to be in the high eighties. Maybe just below ninety percent.” Agent Mario turned to face Alfonso whose rapid blinking and silent reply said it all. “On Earth, there is a saying. “An educated populace is a productive populace”. Someone educated can think more critically than someone who wasn’t, don’t you agree?” He smiled. “Oh, and if you’re wondering where your personal agent is. He’s currently taking a nice nap in the wine cellar. Nice guy, first time in a while I had a not boring fight.” Sitting down on an open cloth armchair, Agent Mario continued to smile at the emperor.  

“Well…that would certintantly explain why you are still alive.” Recovering from the shock of the situation, Alfonso circled around his desk and sat down. “What do you Americans want?” attempting to regain control of the conversation, Alfonso steeled his voice. However, Agent Mario just chuckled. 

“That’s quite a long list, your excellency. Saying that, I can sum it up as this. Do you know what is currently happening in The Plusieurs Kingdom?” Agent Mario questioned. 

“Yes, The United States of America is at war with them.” Alfonso simply replied, but grew confused as the American shook his head.

“Unfortunately you got one minor detail wrong. We were at war. The war is over, and we are currently in the process of crowning Princess Christina de Châtillon as Queen, and ruler--with American oversight of course.”Agent Mario smiled. Although Alfonso returned a scoff of disbelief. 

“You expect me to accept you at your word?”

“No, and this isn’t why I am here, either.” Standing up, Agent Mario slowly walked over to Alfonso’s desk. Placing both of his hands against it and leaning forwards, his demeanor grew more ominous. “We know that you hold a sizable number of Americans inside your dungeons and other establishments, with many not being treated kindly. You are going to tell your lords and underlings to set them free. In the designated areas that we mark for our retrieval. If you do not comply, or god help you, more of them die. We will send holy hell fire across all of your cities, and raze them to the ground in their honor.” 

 

As if his world had just collapsed around him, Emperor Alfonso stared wide-eyed at the Americans. However, his eyes were no longer seeing reality, but back to the visions of his beloved capital burning. 

“So these are the beings that The Supreme Ruler was warning me about. ” Snapping back to reality, Agent Mario was still blankly staring back at him. “Very well, I shall have a decree be made that absolves all Americans of their crimes, and to have them non-violently removed from my realms. Does this suffice?” 

“For now. I’ll be back in a few days to bring more news. I do hope for the sake of your citizens, that you don’t go back on your word. Unless you want half a million angry Americans rampaging through your empire, with the intent of wiping it off the map. Until next time. Emperor Alfonso.” Turning on his heels, Agent Mario was about to leave before Alfonso raised his right hand. 

“Humor me for just a moment more, American. To what god does The United States of America bow to?” Alfonso questioned, more out of curiosity than any political reason. Though, the pensive look on Agent Mario’s face didn't sit well with him. 

“I’m not sure what you mean by that. The United States has many religions within its borders, with Protestants and Catholics making up the majority. However, we do not bow to any singular god, or rather, there is no state-endorsed religion. Everyone is free to believe in whatever they wish, so long as it isn’t considered a threat to The United States or her allies.” He shrugged, with Alfonso struggling to find the words to respond with.

“Y--you--you are…godless? But that is impossible! How are you even here if no god summoned you to fight for them!” Alfonso shouted, with Agent Mario coming to a sudden stop and slowly turning his head to face the emperor.

“I beg your pardon? Can you expand on that further?” Once again stepping forwards to the emperor, his own curiosity peaked both at the statements being made, and Alfonso’s reaction. 

“Though while not completely understood. Every tribe, city-state, kingdom, empire or other styles of governance, has a god or goddess that they worship. If we give an offering valuable enough to appease our god, we can for a short time, speak to them in the astral plane where they dwell. I have done this countless times myself, and my forefathers before me did the same. To say that you are godless is, well…blasphemy!” Alfonso stated, with Agent Mario nodding along. 

“I see, thanks for the information. Though I would prefer if I am not seen as an enemy to you, but rather your only means of communicating with America right now. Having to sneak into this palace and fight your agents is going to get rather tiresome.” Agent Mario smirked, with Alfonso returning a simple sigh.

“Very well, I do hope to personally speak with your ruler one day. [under his breath] A godless empire? Is such a thing possible?” Leaning back in his seat, Alfonso watched as Agent Mario opened the door to his study, and in two swift motions. Jabbed thin needles in the necks of the two guards, causing them to stumble, then collapse to the floor. Leaving Agent Mario to scurry off.

 

An unknown amount of time passes as Alfonso simply stares at the open door, lost in thought as he replays the conversation that had just transpired, over and over again. It wasn’t until the rapid footsteps from the hallway was he made slightly aware of his surroundings.

“Your excellency! Are you alright?” Archmage Itla, breathing heavily, asked while scanning the room.  

“Hmm? Oh yes, everything is…well, I’m not sure what to call what had just happened to me. An American shadow had come to visit me.” Standing up from his seat, Alfonso walked towards a window behind him, allowing a clear view of the grand city below. “Gather the lords, I have a new decree regarding the treatment of the Americans.” 

“Your excellency? I can tell from the language you are using that this American shadow threatened you. We can easily crush their forces with our vast magical knowledge.” Itla retorted, but the emperor returned a simple head shake.

“A war with The United States of America would be the greatest disaster to befall on my realms. Appeasing The Grand Hydra is all we can do to stave off certain disaster, Itla. They have contraptions more complex than anything the Dwarven Stronghold can offer; and even with a united front with Utspraakriech, I do not see a pleasant outcome to such a war. I do not doubt for a moment that if a war of this scale came to be, we would be picked apart from all sides.” A short silence followed Alfonso’s words before the archmage finally put the puzzle pieces together.

The visions, it was the Americans setting fire to your cities. Do you believe bending a knee to the Americans' demands will change our path?” 

“I do not know, Itla. What I do know is, The United States of America is an empire whose path we should not intercept. Otherwise, we will be reduced to nothing but a simple note on the side of a textbook.”

34