Prologue
66 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I could barely run anymore. Each breath was excruciating, but I had to keep going. I was finally out and it was wonderful. I had no time to fully appreciate the new and exciting scenery because they were closing in fast. I was almost to the treeline when suddenly I felt an intense pain in my neck. Before I could look behind me I was jerked back so fast my legs went up above my head and I slammed into the ground. The guards began restraining me when they became distracted. It was 292223, my best friend and ally. She was the last person I wanted to see try to save me because I knew what they would do to her for this. They easily handled her and barely skipped a beat with their work. I was finished, and I had hardly even started. 

 

Chapter 1: K.A.A.

 

It was dark; of course it was always pitch black when it was time to sleep. I never sleep much anymore, and when I do I have awful nightmares. Not like the ones normal people have where they experience something atrocious and fanciful, yet soon awake to drink in a deep breath of relief. No, the ones I have are phantasmagoric horrors, and the worst part is they’ve all happened in real life. Yes, I continually relive the battles: the death, the gore, the suffering, the pain...so much pain. It’s just better to stay awake then, because at least then I can control my thoughts.

Suddenly, the lights turn on.

“Code 666, time for breakfast.” It’s 292, my childhood friend. I’ve known her since the very beginning. I realize I must’ve only gotten about 45 minutes of sleep. “An Academy Guard told me to wake you. It’s already 6:00,” she says, with a fake smile on her face. We all put on the same fake smiles, day after day, until the night comes, and some of us manage to fall asleep. “Sorry, I must’ve overslept. I’ll come down immediately,” I say. 

The academy has three parts. First, the bottom floor, where we eat and take our breaks. Next, the second floor, where we train and fight. Lastly, our rooms, if you could even call them that. They’re decrepit and archaic, and the higher ups refuse to improve things since we’re expendable...Everyday, we wear the same old clothes. We boys wear a black blazer with a tie and long black pants. The girls wear a crimson blazer with a black bow at the collar and a black skirt, followed by black boots that barely go above the ankle and white tights. 

We swiftly groom and then march down to the mess hall. The menu always consists of kippichu, which is a plant-based dish that apparently has all the vitamins and minerals necessary to sustain humans. Completely consuming it is required even though it tastes like seaweed mixed with black coffee. There’s never much time to chat since mealtimes are so short. Battle training takes up the bulk of our day.

We go straight from breakfast to the locker room. We have to wear our battle gear, or “fight suits” as we call them, even during non-combat sessions. I think they want the suits to feel like a second skin to us. Training always begins with a 6 mile run, and during that we have lessons piped in on our cranial transmitters. 

 

0