April 1995
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Quicksilver Sphynx
Miscellanea, April 1995
Nick 'Winter

Heya, folks! Isn't it great to have spring back? Not that this was much of a winter.

Aaron Fitzgerald and Josh Neumann are getting handfasted! Ceremony, I'm told, is going to be relatively quiet, for close friends and family only, but it's going to be followed by a huge party to which everyone is invited. Magda 'Dragonfire being Josh's sister, I'm told Dragonfire are doing most of the plotting for the handfasting and the potluck, dance, and general celebration to come afterwards. They're doing it on the full moon, which is Saturday the fifteenth.

Exotica update. About a third of Exotica, rather alarmingly, is graduating this year at the college and some are scattering back to their home towns. Those remaining are planning to organize a production of the Rocky Horror Show. Anyone interested in being in it should contact one of the Exotica folks. We're going to miss the true Exotica performances, though. You'll be long and well remembered.

There's a Renaissance Faire being planned for August, tentatively in the park in and around the trees. I'm told that all ideas are welcome, and the organizers are hoping to arrange food, entertainment, a market, costumes, and all manner of other things. Get ahold of Covens Prism or Shadowstar if you're interested in being part of it rather than being a visitor.

Coven Sky-Drum is organizing an Earth Day celebration (Saturday the 22nd) in the park. Partly Native, including drumming, partly Wiccan/Druidic, with other stuff tossed in. Apparently there'll be some tree-planting too, and a healing circle for anyone who feels they need it. They plan to start around noon and run past sunset, until everyone goes home.

As usual, Bryan has some temporary help at the library until all school is out for the summer, although it's starting a bit earlier this year. This means it will be open more hours, for the use of all those who are busily studying for exams and scrambling to finish major assignments. He already has someone, so don't get hopeful. His name's Shaine, he came back to Haven with Jesse.

Dion found some interesting new witch techniques of water magic he'd like to share, I gather he came across an old book by Morgan 'Starluck himself. Some he says works better than the rest, but water magic isn't his strongest area, and he'd like to see one of the water-oriented witches try it, along with any other witch who's curious. Morgan appears to have learned it from a Native shaman, who appears to have had some kind of kin or coven connection with him, but the exact nature of it remains unstated. If I get a chance, I'll comb through it and maybe try a couple of things, and give you another opinion.

Historically speaking: Giovanna Albertine, a healer to whom we should all be grateful for her many contributions to healing knowledge, died 23 years ago the 12th. Among her accomplishments, she researched and proved the disease-transmission odds between human, wolf, dryad, and elf. Her theory was that the bubonic plague, syphilis, tuberculosis, and... well, you get the idea... were in large part responsible for our present low numbers. If you haven't been paying attention, we have had HIV cases in Haven and the others, six in fact, two human, two elf, one dryad, and a latent wolf—at present it looks like full wolves are immune, like they are to almost everything else, but they might be able to carry it. Let's not make AIDS the one that wipes us out. I'm sure Giovanna will forgive me for using her death as an occasion for saying this:

Long live sensuality, but PLAY SAFE so you live long enjoying it!

0