May 1995
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Quicksilver Sphynx
Miscellanea, May 1995
Nick 'Winter

Wasn't the weather amazing for the Earth Day celebration Coven Sky-Drum organized? No one could've asked for a more beautiful sunset! It was even natural, as far as I could tell, there didn't seem to be any witchy influence involved.

Aaron and Josh's handfasting party was worlds of fun, and I've never seen either of them happier. Beautifully done, Dragonfire. As for that improvised elvenmage fireworks display... the party couldn't have had a better ending.

The usual witches' get-together is being planned for the full moon in June this year. The weekend of the 10th and 11th, actually, which is a little before it. As always, call Dion if you want info. As for the healers, I haven't been told anything and neither has Liam, so if there is one at all, you'll have to find it alone.

Coven Amrita is doing another astronomy session. Come out to the pasture beside Coven Blackbird's house at dusk on the 12th, there'll be lots of hot water and the bakery is providing some snacks but bring whatever else you want and expect to be sitting on the ground some of the time. Coven Amrita and the college are providing telescopes. I'm told it will be the usual mix of science and mythology.

July and August are sounding more and more fun all the time.

One of the events coming up is, gods save us, Werewolf Wargames (I was told I had to capitalize it). It's being organized the same weekend in all five villages, the evening of Friday July 14th to the evening of Sunday the 16th. Each pack has a territory and a flag, and has to defend them against all opponents while attempting to steal other flags. Or something like that, I got the feeling I was being laughed at while certain wolves attempted to explain this to me.

The Renaissance Faire is progressing well, but there's still plenty of opportunity to get involved. Get in touch with Covens Prism or Shadowstar for more info.

Number three big event: the folks at Pan's Flute have been helping to organize another inter-village event, this one in August and I'm told new plans are now for it to overlap with the Faire. Haven is playing host to a musical competition that apparently once happened every five years but hasn't for nearly thirty years now. All traditional Celtic instruments, and the judges and audiences will decide who's the best with each. I've heard speculation about a Native version, a rock version, and gods know what else. Maybe we can have one yearly and just rotate the type?

Vesta's Hearth has done so well selling us handmade candles and pottery and such made by that improbably creative Coven Shadowstar that they're expanding. Well, that's sort of why. They also found a new coven member, that Renata met while in Ravenrock to check out The Sun Crown (for you barbarians who haven't been there, it's the Ravenrock equivalent). She also happens to be my cousin Chandra. Just wait 'til you see what new magic she's going to be bringing to Vesta's Hearth! She makes candles with the most incredible colours and scents, and no two are ever precisely alike.

If you aren't aware of this, you should be. All witches sure are. The lake, and for that matter the water in wells and springs, appears to be rather disturbed about something. No one has managed to track down the source yet, although the most common reply to any search is to the effect of, feelings of great loss and loneliness. We'll keep trying, especially the water-oriented witches, who don't even dare try the new techniques in the book Dion found, not under conditions like this. As far as anyone can tell, there's nothing actually dangerous, at least.

I'll see what kind of update I can give you for June. Ciao!

0