Short Story 4
77 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Given the booze and the festivities in town have put me in a very good mood these past few days, I decided to listen to Vilis, the obligatory Yarla mouthpiece of Hillside.

“On the first day he found his enemy resting in the heart of the sea, On the third day he fell, for the battle was impossible for a mere mortal to win, on the sixth day, he awoke in darkness, and heard the voice of the stranger call out to him, and on the seventh day… he rose again, finding in love his path to salvation”

It's not the first time I heard a similar speech, in fact. It probably isn’t even the 70th time I’ve heard the summer ceremony, wish they would bring love when they talk about non-humans too; but, I’ll give it to them... the people in this town at least know not to bite the hand that feeds them, even if it’s the hand of a “filthy mut” or a “disgusting mutant”.

And while I’m pretty much sick and tired of these people telling the same stories over and over, I do at least never get tired of this part.

The ending of the festival, when every attendant lights up their paper lantern, some do it with candles and others with light stones, then, they set them on hand made rafts and lower them to the sea… doesn’t matter how, everyone will do it. And once everything is said and done, the result is just beautiful.

“Let the love inside your hearts help Yarla find his way home, to us, his people, may he come back free us once more” Vilis, the Yarla priest finally finishes his speech as everybody erupts in glee, the applause and cheers are deafening to the point I have to cover my ears, at times like these having such a sensitive hearing totally sucks.

All the people gathered at the edge of the docks free their lanterns, letting them float away on the sea at just the right moment, they all clap and cheer for them, the strong current combined with the heavy breeze carries them towards the heart of the sea where Yarla supposedly sleeps.

I don’t know anything about a powerful prophet or a man sleeping at the bottom of the sea; but, I only hope you enjoy the view this year as well. From your place, it must look as if the sky fell towards the earth, the stars came to say hi just for you.

 Though knowing you, you are probably angry for the mess who knows.

The climax of the festival has taken place. We are all watching as the lanterns float away. I, for one, can’t complain. This is the one thing I actually like about the deep god, its festivities.

Alcohol is free, the music never ends, and no one seems to care for my presence.

And speaking about not caring about my presence, what’s the deal with this child? He asked for my company but hasn’t said anything yet. I should probably take the lead.

“You would think that after thousands of years he would have found his way home, right?” I regret those words as soon as they come out of my mouth. It probably wasn’t the smartest thing I could say to a graduate from the Enerin magic school and probably a total Yarla devotee.

Shit, not again! He isn’t saying anything. Why do I even open my mouth for? now I have to stay here and listen to a maniac rant for twenty minutes about respecting other people’s beliefs and whatnot.

I brace myself for what would surely be an angry altercation, fully prepared to face the fury of a Yarla zealot after hearing his prophet made fun of; But nothing happened.

He’s just standing there, cup in hand, mouth shut.

Is he so angry words can’t express it? Am I going to get chased out? He isn’t looking at me right now, but I do feel a cold stare on the back of my neck.

I look around, searching for whoever might be giving me the death stare. I hoped to find a group of assassins or an angry mob of religious zealots preparing for racial cleansing, but I find myself looking at a group of hormonal teenagers.

“What’s up with you, runts? I’m way older than all of you put together and I’m both not into men or babysitting,”

Normally I would say something like that, but I better just shut my mouth. I shouldn’t upset anyone around here. I am already in a complicated position as is. No need to make things worse.

1