Chapter 26
445 4 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The miracle was the biggest public event held in the capital in decades that was open to both the nobility and the commoners. People had poured into the city from all around. Street stalls and buskers lined every street to take advantage of the crowds.

The main doors of the cathedral had been thrown open to let people in, although the main chapel itself had been roped off—seating was reserved for the nobility.

Edrea Baines, the alchemist, stood near the ropes, fidgeting nervously with a card she held in her hands. She wore her best dress, which was a few years out of fashion and a little threadbare compared to the dresses of the noblewomen who were milling around.

Edrea jumped when a cleric tapped her on the shoulder, but the cleric just smiled politely. "Welcome to the Cathedral of Coris. My name is Sister Betty," said the cleric. "Can I help you find your way?"

"Um, yes," said Edrea, handing over the card. "I was... um... I was invited by the Saintess, but I'm not sure where..."

"Oh yes, of course," said Sister Betty. "We have a seat prepared for you. Right this way."

Lady Corvina was loitering nearby with Helen, watching this unfold. She felt a small sense of satisfaction seeing how nervous the alchemist was. Her plan would work.

A different cleric approached them with a curtsy. "Welcome to the Cathedral of Coris. My name is Sister Marietta. Please allow me to show you to your seats, Lady Corvina."

Corvina nodded and followed her through the rows of pews.

The interior of the cathedral was very impressive, with huge pillars, tall vaulted ceilings, and countless small stained-glass windows. But when it was packed with so many shallow noblemen loudly complaining about the lack of space or not being given the best seat or whatever else, Corvina thought it more-or-less felt like any other event space she'd ever been in.

While she was lost in this line of thought, Sister Marietta led her and Helen to the front row, where Corvina unfortunately saw someone familiar.

"We saved a seat for you next to your brother, the Crown Prince," said Sister Marietta, cheerfully. "The miracle will begin in a few minutes. If you'll excuse me." Sister Marietta curtsied again before leaving.

Corvina and Sebastian eyed each other warily.

"Your highness," said Corvina, curtsying.

Sebastian waved her off and Corvina and Helen took their seats.

Out of habit, Corvina took up her neutral stance-hands on lap, pleasant smile, gaze straight ahead.

"Is Marshal with you?" asked Sebastian, looking a little nervous.

"Why would the Grand Duke be with me?" asked Corvina.

"Well, he is your fiance," said Sebastian.

"And?" said Corvina. "You spend more time with him than I do."

Sebastian turned his head to the side and grumbled something incomprehensible. Corvina did her best to ignore him.

After a moment of silence, Sebastian turned back again. "Why are you here anyway? Are you here to lecture me about making the imperial family look weak in front of the church?"

"No," said Corvina.

"You're not worried I'm ruining our reputation?"

"I have our reputation handled."

"Then why are you here?" asked Sebastian.

"...the Saintess invited me," admitted Corvina. "The last time I saw her, she insisted I come and I can't afford to offend someone so important so—"

Sebastian gasped and grabbed Corvina's hands. Corvina was shocked to suddenly have Sebastian in her face with his eyes sparkling with excitement.

"You've met the Saintess?" he said. "Me too! Isn't she incredible?"

"Um... yes, she's quite impressive," said Corvina.

"The first time I talked to her I was blown away," said Sebastian. "She totally changed my life."

Corvina couldn't help but smile a little. "Mine too," she said, quietly.

Sebastian let go of Corvina's hand. "But she's been so busy lately she won't even have tea with me..." said Sebastian. "I keep showing up to these boring church things to try to talk to her but we never get to exchange more than a few words."

Corvina tried not to feel smug about the fact that Anne had sneaked out to come visit her.

"It's not like I want anything from her," said Sebastian. "I just want to chat with her..."

In a moment of unprecedented sympathy for her brother, Corvina found herself saying, "Well... Countess Vostelmal is inviting the Saintess to her party on Friday. She might not show up, but—"

"Really?" said Sebastian. "I'll definitely be there! It's been too long since I spent time with Collette anyway. She's always a laugh."

Corvina immediately regretted telling Sebastian about the party.

"Greetings, Lady Corvina, your highness."

Lady Nia Lowmal had arrived. Corvina nodded a greeting, Helen scooted aside so that Nia could sit next to Corvina.

"Is everything prepared?" Corvina asked.

Nia nodded.

The seats all full, the clerics opened up the chapel to commoners who had been waiting for standing room. They stood along the walls and behind the pews. Even more crowded around the open doors, trying their best to see in.

The miracle was starting soon.


Anne was in a small side room with Eva, Agis, and some of the upper echelon of the church. She was losing her mind a little, but she was mostly trying not to think about it.

"Nice get up, by the way," said Agis.

"Yeah, whatever," said Anne.

Anne had once again had to fight with the clerics about her clothes. They wouldn't let her perform a miracle in a plain pants-and-shirt combo, even with the fancy stole over it, but Anne still refused to wear a dress or robes that were basically a dress anyway.

What they eventually settled on was a formal suit in a nice shade of blue with gold accents, covered by ornate robes that were left open so that the suit was still visible as well. The robe included a hood to cover her ears, and she was also wearing a massive jeweled pin in place of tie.

Overall, it was a bit ostentatious and Anne felt kind of silly in it, but at least it had boots instead of high heels, so it was good enough for her.

The Bishop approached behind them, suddenly patting both Anne and Eva on the back. "Well! Are we all ready to go? I'm sure you'll do the Goddess proud out there, eh, Saintess?"

She was addressing Anne, but she was looking at Eva.

"Of course, your eminence," said Eva. "The Saintess won't let you down."

"I will introduce you," said The Bishop, with a smile, sweeping out of the room.

It's okay, this is a good day, though Anne. After all, you don't have a million things to do today. Just this one thing. And it worked the last time you were in front of people. Sure, you haven't gotten it to work since, but... They probably won't actually form a mob to murder you if it doesn't work, right?

Eva placed a gentle hand on Anne's arm. "It's alright," said Eva. "Just trust in the Goddess. She will show you the path."

"I think that was your cue," said Agis, who was standing by the door looking out at the altar, where the Pope was delivering her small speech.

Anne took a deep breath. It was time.

When Anne saw the crowd, her mind really truly went blank. Evidently sheer panic was more effective than any meditation technique for clearing the mind.

Anne wasn't sure she'd ever seen so many people in one space. And they were all staring right at her.

Eva and the Bishop both moved to take a spot standing towards the back of the stage area, along with the High Clerics and other important people. Anne was left on her own to walk towards the pulpit.

The walk to the pulpit felt like an eternity.

When Anne finally reached her spot, she looked out at the crowd again. It really was too many people. She wasn't sure she could do this...

Then she saw Corvina, sitting in the front row. They locked eyes, and Corvina smiled reassuringly.

Suddenly the crowd didn't matter.

Corvina had a plan. Anne was part of that plan. The miracle was part of that plan.

Anne opened her eyes again, and searched out Edrea Baines in the crowd. She was right where Anne had told the clerics to seat her, so she was easy to find.

What was it Corvina had originally told her to do with Edrea? Oh yeah, say something about confession and forgiveness. Subtly.

"Thank you all for coming here," said Anne. The pulpit was treated with ancient magic that amplified the voice of the speaker so everyone could hear. It was the only pulpit like it in the empire, dating back to the days of the first Saintess.

"Before I perform a miracle, I just want to say a few words," continued Anne. "Don't worry, I won't take up too much time. But I think it's important for me to tell you all that the most important miracle of the goddess is something we all have access to—it's the ability we all have, as people, to change."

"This was not approved," hissed the Bishop in Eva's ear.

"It's fine," snapped Eva, although she wasn't feeling so certain herself. "Let her speak."

"Who we are is not determined by our past," said Anne. "And no matter how far along we are in our lives, we can always choose to go in a new direction. If we've done wrong, we can ask the Goddess for forgiveness. And if you feel stuck in your current circumstances, trapped in who you are, but you want to change? You can ask for help. From the Goddess and from other people. Nothing is set in stone. As long as we're alive, we can change. And we can choose to change for the better."

Anne paused for a moment, but that was all she could really think to say. So she took a step back, closed her eyes, and clasped her hands in prayer position.

It was time for a miracle.

Instead of her usual attempts at meditating, this time Anne went for an actual prayer. Goddess, if you're out there somewhere in this world, please don't let me get murdered by an angry mob.

Anne couldn't see anything happening, but what everyone in the crowd saw was this:

Anne started to float off of the ground. Just by a few inches at first, but she rose, higher and higher. And as he rose, she began to shine with a soft glow.

Everyone's eyes were locked to her with awe and fascination.

Everyone except for Corvina, who was staring straight at Eva.

Eva was looking up at Anne, her mouth moving almost imperceptibly, as if speaking words no one could hear. Her fingers, held down by her side, were drawing tiny symbols in the air.

Then there was a sudden burst of light and everyone, including Eva and Corvina, flinched.

When they all opened their eyes, Anne was gone.


Anne felt herself land with a thud, lost her balance, and fell over immediately. Her eyes had opened at this point, but she had no idea where she was.

After a moment, she figured out she must be in the cathedral belfry. The huge church bell was there in the center of the stone-lined space, and across from that, in front of a large arched window, was the Grand Duke.

Duke Marshal stood with his back to Anne, looking across the city. He had a pensive look on his face, and the evening light highlighted his chiseled features.

He looked more than ever like the male lead of a fantasy romance novel.

He turned and saw Anne, his eyes widening in surprise, and then softening into an expression of... fondness. He quietly approached Anne and bent down, offering his hand to her.

"Saintess," he said. "Has the Goddess herself brought you before me?"

"Fucking hell," said Anne. 

Thanks for reading!

If you're feeling impatient you can read up through Chapter 85 now on Tapas.

If you'd like to check out my other novel, The Warmonger Duchess and Her Female Husbandyou can read the first 3 chapters for free on my Patreon.

And if you'd like to follow me on Twitter you can find me at @teddy_stonehill

27