Trial (1)
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I always see the world to be beautiful, filled with colors and wonders.


The sun was warm. Everyone was kind. I had no complaints.


Until...


He bit his lips, looking at the ruined village.


“Is this a dream?”


....this day came.

------

The sunrise rose above the lofty mountains, casting rays beneath, to the Peace Village. San Haneul stared at the distance. The light dispelled the darkness as it welcomed another day.

“Yoosh!” He clenched his fist.

"Today's the day!”

He hopped down the straws and landed on the ground. After returning home, he could smell the nice aroma coming from the kitchen.

Haneul went inside. There he saw his mother holding a tray of plates.

“Dinner's ready?”

Haneul's mom looked at him with a smile,

“Are you out again?”

“I can't fall asleep.” Haneul pout. He went out during the wee hours when his parents were asleep. He was quite excited today. This day was the day after all.

Haneul's mom shook her head while placing the food on the table. She can't help it. Every time Haneul sneak out, he was being cautious and secretive. There was no danger in the village, so she eventually had allowed him to do what he wished.

Haneul sat in the chair and grabbed the chopsticks. Then raised his head. 

“Right mom, dad still asleep?”

“He'll be here in a minute.”

“He promised to teach me today. I couldn't sleep last night because of this. He'll not break his promise, will he?”

“That....”

Haneul's mom sighed.

“Ah Eul, do you really want to be a martial artist?”

Haneul gulped the food down and nodded.

“I heard that learning martial arts can make someone strong. If I'm strong, I can protect mom and dad! Of course, I have to become a martial artist!”

Haneul's mom looked at her son's sincere pupils. She felt conflicted inside. 

Should I tell him the truth?

She bit her lips.

“Ah Eul...”

She opened her mouth, but before she could continue, a robust man made his way through the door.

Haneul's eyes shone. He raised his hand excitedly, “Dad! Good morning!”

“Ohayo Haneul,” Haneul's dad smiled and looked at his wife, “Honey, good morning.”

Then Haneul's parents had their sweet talk as they both sat. Haneul wanted to say something but figured it was better to speak later.

After they ate, Haneul's mom looked at her son. She said, “Ah Eul, wait outside. I'll have an important matter to talk with your father with.”

Haneul shook his head and looked at his father, “Dad, you promised me. Today. Today. Remember?”

Haneul emphasized the word "today". Haneul's dad knew what he was talking about, so he laughed and waved his hand.

“Be obedient. Wait outside. We'll talk later.”

Haneul looked at him. Unmoving.

Haneul's dad stared back. Sigh. ”Fine. Fine. I'll promise you, so go outside first.”

“Yes sir!”

Haneul grinned and bolted out the door.

Only when he left did Haneul's mom speak.

“Is it possible?”

”I don't know.”

“Then why did you promise him?”

“I had my reason.”

Haneul's dad sighed. He knew that Haneul lacked dantian. A fundamental aspect for storing Internal Energy. 

“...Reason?” Haneul's mom sounded unsure.

“Yes. Do you remember the day we meet?”

Haneul's mom nodded.

“That day, you noticed that robot. Right?”

“I indeed remember that.”

Haneul's mom remembered when she met her husband, there was a strange metallic creature following him. When it spoke, she had been shocked by it. 

However, she had never seen it again after that day.

“I had never told you this but, I'm actually...”

Haneul's dad told his story. The more he spoke, the more shocked Haneul's mom was. 

“Reincarnation...” Haneul's mom murmured.

“That might sound unusual, if not, crazy. But everything I said is the truth.” Haneul's dad sighed. “Sorry for keeping it to you.”

”It's alright.”

“Are you okay?”

“Mhmm. I'm just quite surprised.” Haneul's mom meant it. She had never thought her husband to have this kind of reputation and history. She felt unworthy of him.

“But anyway,” She shook her head. Her face turned solemn. "So the reason you couldn't summon A. I chip is because your soul sea has shattered?”

Haneul's dad nodded.

“I heard about Dantian, but what is soul sea?”

“It's quite complicated. In simple terms, it is located in the middle of our eyebrow.” 

“You said for him to take the trial,  it might lead to death..." Haneul's mom couldn't help but worry. 

“That's why I want to ask that kid: if he's willing to bet for this thread of chance.”

Haneul's mom sighed.

“Is there no other way?”

Haneul's dad shook his head. “None.”

“Let's ask him then.” Haneul's mom murmured.

---

Haneul's dad headed to the courtyard. Haneul already was waiting over there, doing swordsmanship.

Haneul's dad laughed and went over.

“Bend your knee a little lower. Raise the sword.”

Haneul listened. He was focused, but his instinct told him it was his father.

He listened to the instruction and stabbed the sword forward.

“Are you a man? Put more force in it.”

Haneul followed.

“Good. Then slash.”

Slash.

“Stop!”

Haneul stopped. He wiped the sweat on his face and turned his head. “Dad, what do you think? I did great, right?”

“Trash.” Haneul was startled. But his dad did not give him a chance to retort. “Your momentum is a mess. Your offense was decent. When you stab, there were five to ten openings at least. If you were on a battlefield, you would have long died.”

Haneul lowered his head. His dad was right. Although his dad would give him lessons from time to time, he could not remember them all. He felt like an idiot. 

“Anyway, I have good and bad news. Which would you first like to hear?” Haneul's dad went to the main business.

“The latter." Haneul didn't hesitate.

”You can't cultivate.”

“...Pardon?” Haneul was startled.

“But..." Haneul's dad already expected this reaction. “A thread of chance. Would you grab it?”

“A chance...” Haneul murmured. Looking at how serious his father was, he felt there would be a dire consequence over it.

“I guess you know what I meant,” said Haneul's dad. “If you were to fail, the backlash would be immense. There's even possible death. Ah Eul, would you like to challenge your destiny?”

Haneul took a deep breath. He closed his eyes. No wonder when he tried to circulate Internal Energy, he couldn't sense or absorb it no matter how hard he tried. So this was the reason.

A chance. 

In it, there exist death.

Haneul clenched his fist. Then his teeth.

“Alright. Let's give it a try!”

0