Trial (2)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gyeon Eun Sun.

Haneul had first met her two years ago when his dad was teaching him swordsmanship. She was there, peeping over the lesson.

She had immense greed over strength. So Haneul's dad gave her a chance. 

Surprisingly, she was an inborn martial genius. 

Haneul felt he was so far from her. They were the same age, but in terms of comprehension and swordsmanship, she was way too above him. 

Haneul looked at her in the distance. Eun Sun's swordplay looked elegant but the force behind it was destructive.

Although he was standing thirty meters away, he could feel it. 

Internal Energy.

The surrounding area's Internal Energy spread around. 

It even swayed his hair.

At last, the turbulent Internal Energy stopped. Eun Sun sheathed her sword and turned her head to Haneul.

"Haneul! What are you doing here?”

Haneul smiled at her. “Do you remember yesterday?”

“Why wouldn't I?”

Haneul sighed.

“Something happened?” Eun Sun noticed his change of emotions.

“Nothing.”

“Then what was that sigh?”

“It just...” Haneul let out another sigh. “Something unpleasant.”

“Oh." The Haneul she knew seemed restless. It made her feel sorry, but she didn't know how to consult him.

“So what did Uncle say?”

“There's a chance. But, I don't know if I can make it out alive.”

“What?” Eun Sun was startled. “Please do explain.”

“I finally knew why I couldn't sense Internal Energy.”

“Do tell.”

“I lacked dantian.”

Eun Sun sighed. When they were practicing together, Haneul shared this matter with her. His disability to sense Internal Energy.

At that time, she had her guess though she never shared it. She did not want to hurt his feelings over it. She believed that someday Haneul's dad would explain it to him.

It seems her guess was right.

“Dad had given me a thread of hope. However, there's a consequence. I don't know what I would face. To be honest, I'm not prepared.” 

Haneul wrapped his hands over his knees.

Eun Sun sighed and stared at the blue sky. Ever since she had met Haneul, the sky had shade a color. The world was not gray anymore. To her eyes, this feeling was so beautiful. She could explain why.

“Haneul, do you know that I envied you?”

Haneul tilted his head. 

“What do you mean?"

“My mom ran away. My dad couldn't care less.  At that time, I decided. If there was a thread of chance, I'll not hesitate to grab it.” Eun Sun smiled. “So when your dad ask me if I wanted to learn martial arts, somewhere inside me said yes, I want to! I wanted that strength that could control destiny.”

Haneul listened silently.

“Haneul, don't hesitate. Don't lose hope. It's always there, but you've never noticed. That chance. There might be consequences. But if you succeed, a path will open for you.”

“I know.”

Haneul looked at her. It was only this time he found her quite beautiful. Ehem. 

“Thank you.”

“It's nothing." Eun Sun waved her hand. “Anyway, when are you leaving?”

“My father said we'll leave tomorrow. The trial would last about a few weeks, but it could be a month. I'm not sure, to be honest.”

“When you return, do you want to go with me?”

“Where?”

Eun Sun smiled. Her smile was bright like the sun.  “To travel around the world. The world of martial arts.”

Haneul's eyes shone. He wanted strength to protect his family, but he also held great interest in the vast world. He smiled and held Eun Sun's hand.

“Alright. Promise! Together, to the vast world!”

Haneul lifted his little finger and Eun Sun wrapped hers on it. 

“It's a promise.”

They looked at each other. And laughed.

... 

...

...

That day, we laugh like there's no end. I found that silly. At that time, I really, really wanted to succeed in whatever trial I would face. I wanted to fulfill my promise to her.


But...


I was not aware...


“Damn it! Damn it...”


“How could this happen?”


...That... That would be the last day I could see that smile.


“No.”


In the first place.


Why did this happen?


That's right.


Why did this happen?

------

“Mr. San, you're here.” 

The Peace Village's head welcomed his guest with a fawning face.

The man smiled and sat on the stool. 

“Is there a reason for your summon, Head?”

The Village Head drank the tea and sighed.

 “Please do look at this.”

The man looked at the piece of bone on the table.

“This is?” 

He caressed it. Then frowned. “This is new.”

“Right.” The village head nodded. “It seems that the beasts in the mountains are active now. I'm not even sure if we could survive this.”

The room was silent. After a long time, the man finally spoke.

“I'll investigate this.”

“Really?”

The Village Head's eyes shone. He seemed to age ten years younger than before.

“Yes, but I need some helpers to come with me.”

“Sure. I'll tell them right after.”

The man nodded and unfolded a scroll. 

“If I remembered correctly,  this would be it.” The man draws lines in the scroll. Looking at the finished product, he nodded his head.

“And also prepared to build this for the village.”

The Village Head stared at the scroll.

“...Is this necessary?”

“Baka.” 

“What?”

The Village Head didn't understand.

The man laughed. “It means Yes.”

“Ah. So why is this necessary?”

“First of all, Tall towers. It's not an offensive purpose, but instead, for observation. After all, we had no idea if a monster outbreak will occur.”

The Village Head nodded.

“As for this, it's for traps and holes. This is to minimize the number of monsters.” 

The Village Head felt enlightened. Whenever the man explained, he would nod his head repeatedly with excitement.

“I'll implement this as soon as possible!”

“If there's nothing more, I'll  be leaving now.”

The man stood up. The Village Head followed suit and bowed, “Thank you so much, Mr. San.”

“Ah that's right, when will you investigate?”

“Tomorrow after I send my son for a trial.”

"Oh. That kid, San Haneul.” 

Mr. San smiled.

 “I'm surprised that you know him.”

“Of course I do.” 

The Village Head laughed. 

“He's kind and helpful. Everyone likes him.”

They then talk for about a few minutes.

After that, Mr. San cupped his fist.

“Then, I'll take my leave..”

“Mhmm.”

The Village Head bowed and watched him depart.

Soon after, he called for a meeting. Then he enforced everything that was instructed to the village. 

Five hours later. 

The village was still amidst a transformation.

0