01 – Waking up in a Dungeon
1.4k 8 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Ding Ding Ding*

“Ah, just five more minutes…” Hm? Wait a minute, what was that sound? I opened my eyes and there were so many things I couldn’t comprehend that my brain just shut down for a minute.

Where am I? Did I sleep in a coffin? What the heck happened? What is this weird thing in front of my eyes congratulating me? Where the heck am I? While all these questions going on and on in a loop, I start panicking and hyperventilating…

No, no, no… stop for a second… Let me take a deep breath. In and out, in and out… ok, one step after another. Let me think, what is the last thing I remember. Right, I applied for an apprenticeship as a park ranger and I went to the job interview and then they told me I have the job. But then? Everything after that is black. Did they do this to me? I mean, whatever this is? Why the heck did they put me in a coffin?

The message in front of me says:

Congratulations!

You got chosen as a candidate for this experiment.

>Next<

What kind of thing is this? It looks like some kind of AR System, but it is weirdly included in my vision? But I don’t wear any goggles or anything else that should let me see something like this? And I can’t touch this message either. Right now, the message is the only hint I have, so how can I go next?

Oh, it just changed? Wait, can I control it with my mind? What the heck did they do to me? Did they put some weird computer chip in my brain? There is no way this is legal! Well, for now, let’s proceed with the messages. Not that I have another choice.

To proceed, you have to pass this test.

After that, you are free to do whatever you want.

>Next<

A test? What the fuck? It would have been nice if they asked me before they put me in this kind of situation. Well, next.

You might have a few questions and hopefully we can provide at least some answers.

The most important thing is that you got transported to another world.
A fantasy world where magic exists. We created even these intro messages with magic.
Right now, you are in the deepest part of a hidden dungeon.

And before you try: No, there is no way back to your old world.

>Next<

“Huh, you are kidding me, right?” What do they mean, there is no way back? I mean, when they asked me if I have a problem with moving to a new place, I answered that it’s fine. I mean, I don’t have any family and I live in an orphanage since I was 12. And I don’t really have friends. Oh, but let me make this clear. I am not some kind of weird loner. I got along with my classmates well enough. I just considered none of them as my friends and I enjoyed being on my own, reading books about camping and hunting. I loved going on hunting trips with my father and I missed it ever since he died.

I mean, that is the reason I applied for the job as a park ranger in the first place. And now these people just went and transported me to another world with no way back? Are they kidding me? Well, to be honest, that thing about magic sounds really exciting. But why didn’t they at least give me a choice to decline?

There are 10 floors in this dungeon.
Your exam is to leave this dungeon without dying.

You should start by examining your [Status].
Just think of it and it will open in a similar window.

The room you are in is a safe zone.
 But once you leave, you will start encountering monsters.

Good Luck!

Without dying? I can die during the exam?

“… They really should have explained the stuff before sending me here…” Just thinking about it scares me. And monsters? What do they mean by monsters? Isn’t this the most important part?

Is there a weapon in this room? It doesn’t seem like it… So how am I going to fight these monsters? I don’t know how to use magic yet!

But there is no way I am just going to give up. There is no way I am going to die here! I will definitely get out of here. I don’t know, what kind of experiment this is. And it kind of pisses me off I don’t have a choice but to take part. But there is no point in dwelling on stuff I can’t change. After I get out of here, I will live how I want to. Even if I haven’t figured it out yet.

But for now, I have to figure out how to leave this place. So let me check my [Status] first. And then I have to formulate a plan. But before, I need more information. The Status appeared in a similar box to the messages before.

[Status]

Name: Benji

Age: 17

Race: Vampire

Level: 1

HP: 10/10

MP: 25/25

BP: 5/5

Race-Abilities:

- Identify (0 BP)

- Blood Needle (1 BP)

“Vampire? …”

“WHY AM I A VAMPIRE?” What does this mean? Do I now need to drink blood regularly? I don’t want to! Does this also mean I have to be careful of sunlight or garlic? Oh please no, I don’t want to miss out on garlic… Is there garlic in this world? Does it mean that I have to attack humans? Wait, do I have canines? I touch my face while thinking this, but there is nothing. So my appearance didn’t change.

But what does it mean for me? I also have HP, MP and BP. HP and MP are obvious, but what is BP? My Race abilities need BP, so is this a vampire thing? Is there more information? I try to focus on my race and a new box opened.

Vampire

Vampires have increased strength, speed and constitution.
They have heightened senses and you can use Blood Power to use your vampire skills.
The vampires canines are not visible by default, but they can let them come out by will.

That’s it? I am stronger and have Blood Power? I think this is BP, right?

Blood Power (BP)

The vampires race skills need Blood Power as a resource. Blood-Power does not recover over time.
To recover Blood Power, vampires have to drink Blood.
If Blood Power reaches 0, vampires enter Blood Rage state.

Blood Rage

The vampire loses control and is hunting for his thirst for blood.
He doesn’t have control over himself and attacks the first living creature he encounters.

This sounds really troublesome. I have some special abilities, but in exchange I lose control if my Blood Power reaches 0. So I have to be mindful of my resources.

“Hm… I think the Blood Skills are the key to leave this place alive. But where do I get the Blood?” Well, it doesn’t specify the type of creature. So, it should not only be humans, like I first thought. So it should be right to get monster blood. But still… the thought of drinking blood sounds gross.

The description also said I can make my canines come out by will. Let’s try it… My face feels weird… I touch my face again, and there they are. I really have a pair of canines. Well, that proofs that everything is real. I still had some doubts until now, but I am in a different world and I became a vampire. I sighed.

I check the abilities next.

Identify (0 BP)

Shows the user information about living creatures and objects.

Blood Needle (1 BP)

Creates and shoots a projectile made of blood.

That sounds useful. And it’s great that identify is free. And Blood Needle is an offensive skill as expected. So right now I can attack 4 times, without entering Blood Rage, but what then? Is it enough to get a Level Up? Does Blood Power even go up after a Level Up? But well, no need to think about it. I hope four Blood Needles will be enough to kill the first monster. Then I can refill my Blood Power from that monster.

It would be nice to have a weapon, too. But there is really nothing in this room. Just the coffin I woke up inside. Just when I look around the room and try to figure out if there is nothing I can use as a weapon, I hear a silent growl.

22