27 – Black Market Auction 2
379 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moderator is counting is down.

The current bid is 8 Big Silver and 6 Silver, and of course Mr. Piggy Noble is the highest bidder.

What should I do? I let out a heavy sigh and raise my tag. Guess I can’t just ignore it, if he is the buyer.

My bid is instantly recognized and now the highest bid is 8 Big Silver and 7 Silver. Richard watches at me with an amused smile. “Didn’t think you would try to buy her.”

“Well, I guess I am too softhearted. I know I have no obligation to do anything, but I can’t just sit here and ignore her. Especially when someone like that guy is the highest bidder.”

Mr. Piggy, of course, glares at me, while raising his tag again and raises the prize to 8 Big Silver and 8 Silver.

“Ah, I understand. That guy is really disgusting.” Richard says, furrowing his brows. “But do you really think that this is clever? Going against someone like him? Considering what he already bought, he must have a lot of money to spare.”

“Honestly… I don’t know.” My opponent is a noble, after all. Not that I say it out loud, since we are all wearing masks. So obviously, there is no way I could have acquired that information through normal means. “But I’ll worry about that later.”

I also raise my tag again. The prize is now 8 Big Silver and 9 Silver.

With that, the bidding war between me and Mr. Piggy continues. But can I really win? By the way, my opponent’s name is Oscar Hayes. Because of his last name, I already know he is a noble, and he is a viscount. That makes him one rank higher than a baron, the lowest noble rank.

But as a noble, he should still have a lot of money to spare. But that’s not all. After all, he is taking part in events like this. So it wouldn’t be farfetched to assume he involves himself in other illegal activities, which could earn him even more money.

Can I really win against him in a war that involves money? I am still only an adventurer and I just came to this world a few months ago. It’s not like I earn more money than a noble. And I can’t just ask Richard. I don’t want to involve him in this.

I fear I can’t win this.

The bids just reached 1 Gold. Mr. Piggy is the current highest bidder, and he is still glaring at me. He is obviously fuming.

Since the bids now reached 1 Gold, the bids increase now in 5 Silver steps–ouch.

I have only a little more money left. Actually, I just reached my limit. This will be the last bid I can give. I look at Mr. Piggy and I think he also realized that fact, from the way he is grinning at me.

I keep watching him, while raising my tag the last time, and as soon as the moderator accepts my bid, Mr. Piggy’s expression changes below his mask. He has a completely blank expression on his face now, not reacting at all. His attendant is also raising his brow with irritation, throwing glances at his boss.

When the moderator counts down, Mr. Piggy’s attendant also realizes that something is wrong. He steps forward, talking to his boss, but he doesn’t react.

I close my eyes and start praying. Not to anyone specific. I pray to anyone who wants to listen and then it happens…

“Sold! The elf slave is sold to the bidder with the number 21.” I did it. At this moment, all the tension leaves my body, and I let out a deep sigh and realize that I actually held my breath during the last few seconds.

Actually, at the same time, Mr. Piggy wakes up from his daze, and when he realized what had just happened, he starts ranting to his attendant. But I’m not sure if I should feel sorry. After all, he works for a pig like that.

“I can’t believe you actually won that…”

“Me neither… That was actually my last bid. That’s almost all my money…”

“I see…”

We keep sitting for a few moments before someone knocks on the door. I stand up to open it, just to see an employee from the auction site.

“Congratulations on your won auctions. I came to show you where you can pick up your items.”

I thank him and Richard and I follow him to the room where our bought items wait.

When I enter the room, the first thing I notice is the elf slave, making herself as small as possible looking on the floor. I can’t really see her expression, but I guess she is scared.

Next to her is another man I don’t know, and of course he is also wearing a mask. He introduces himself as a slave dealer, and he is responsible for the slave contract. But of course he is not stating his name. After introducing he explains how the contract works.

The collar she is wearing is a magic tool which binds the person wearing it to the owner. She will not be able to harm me or to refuse my orders. To bind the collar to me, he is casting his magic and I need to put a drop of my blood onto the collar.

After he finished the procedure, he gives me scroll.

“This is your ownership certificate. With this, you have no legal issues, so please make sure to not lose it.”

“Thank you.”

Richard also finished his part, so we can finally leave, but it would be too easy if we could just do that, right?

“Hey you! Give that slave to me immediately!”

I turn around just to see Mr. Piggy Noble shouting at me. “Why? I bought her. I have no obligation to give her to you. Let’s go.”

I try to turn around and leave, but he continues to shout at me. “You dare to defy my orders? Do you not know who I am?”

Is this guy serious? I look at him, irritated and furrowing my brows.

“Why are you looking at me like this!?” His face flushes from anger.

“Well, you just asked me if I know who you are… while wearing a mask…” Oh, it looks like he is about to explode.

“Don’t think you can defy my orders in this town!”

Before I even had a chance to answer, a calm voice appears behind Mr. Piggy. “Could you please stop that already? Any more than this and I have to report this to my master.”

After hearing this, Mr. Piggy immediately pales and takes a step back and whispers, “I am terribly sorry.” Then he leaves immediately.

Now I could also get a look at the man, and I recognize the uniform. He is one of the attendants here. After the noble left, he faces me, “I am sorry for this inconvenience. You should be careful from now on. While I could intervene here at the auction site, our organisation can’t do anything afterwards.”

“Thank you for your help and also for the advice. I make sure to be careful.” It would probably be the best to leave the capital, but unfortunately I have still business in the library, so I can’t do that.

The attendant leaves and I face my new slave, who hid behind me. I smile at her and pat her head, while saying, “Don’t worry. I won’t let him have you.”

Then we can finally leave. Now, I have to think about how to refill my Blood Power without her noticing. I don’t want to reveal the fact that I am a vampire to her. What? You don’t understand why I have to refill my Blood Power? Obviously, it is because I used my Charm skill on Mr. Piggy to win the auction. Although, I feel terribly disgusted to use my very first Charm on someone who looks like an Orc.

I also considered using the skill again when he shouted at me after the auction. But I can’t just rely on my Charm every time I have trouble. It also would have been very suspicious, if he would have acted weirdly again. That’s why I am really thankful to the attendant. But I still have to be careful. My opponent is a noble, after all. And I don’t think he will just give up.

12