Chapter 29: Transformation (Part 2)
510 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days passed after the conversation between Marcel and the demon lord and Claude along with Allan heard from the demon lord how it went and so did the spirit of the world. Let’s not forget that she's omniscient, so she probably knew Marcel’s answer before she even suggested what she had to the demon lord.  

Allan felt bad for Marcel since he couldn’t bear the thought of suddenly having to change his identity if he were in Marcel’s shoes. He tried his best to support Marcel by doing nice things for him these past few days. He began neglecting his usual work in the process, then Marcel tricked Allan by saying that he’d feel better if Allan acted like nothing had changed, leading to Allan going back and making magic tools again. Marcel, while Allan was doing that, learned a few transformation spells for when he’d need to look like he did before. A few days passed after that and Marcel was fully prepared for the alterations that were to be done by the demon lord and that ‘friend’ of his that he still didn’t know of.  

On the day of the alterations, the demon lord took Marcel to a room that he’d never been to before along with Claude, and Allan came in as well, then the demon lord was ready to do perform the spell that would alter Marcel’s appearance, permanently. He had Marcel lie on the bed in that room as it the procedure was going to a bit painful and for the sake of convenience. He began explaining after the additional details about the alterations that he hadn’t told him yet. 

“Marcel, this friend of mine said that they had a few special gifts to give you through this alteration. Firstly, she says that she’s going to add a special imprint on you to make your aura seem a bit different, although not too much as to let you maintain what makes you yourself in that aspect. Secondly, she’ll add another imprint to make humans and people who’ve identified your magic power previously will recognize you. They won’t be able to fully recognize you until you admit that it is indeed you, so you’ll be able to avoid some of the people who memorized your magic pattern on the day of the celebration a few months ago. She also said that she’ll add a few things but then again, she never mentioned what they were, so I guess we’ll just have to wait until we’re done.” The demon lord finished explaining and Marcel still didn’t know who this person he was talking about was. He sighed and wondered what he should make himself look like.  

After he was done thinking about what to have the demon lord make him look like, he told the demon lord, “I want to keep my blond hair, but that would make me recognizable to others, and so, I’ll go with something that makes me keep my current looks to some aspect. Oh, how about switching my hair from blond to platinum blond and my blue eyes to maybe green or whatever color that’s closest to blue? I’ve decided. I’ll go with green eyes.” Marcel made his demands heard and the demon lord listened to them all. After he’d confirmed with Marcel once again if he was satisfied with his choice of appearance, the demon lord began the spell.  

After activating the spell, the modifications began. It was a bit painful at first as the demon lord, with the help of his friend, was switching up what made Marcel himself down to the genetic level. He was changing muscle tissues and bone structures after all. He changed the genetic data to what Marcel had requested of him and about fifteen minutes or so, the modifications to Marcel’s body were complete. The slight pain Marcel felt since the spell began disappeared and he said his final goodbyes to his old appearance internally. Although he can still change his appearance back to what he previously looked like with transformation magic and some people aren’t even going to notice the difference, it was still hard not to feel like he was never going to be his previous self again. He said his final goodbyes to his appearance and told himself that it was for the best. 

The demon lord then added the last little bits that the Spirit of the World opted to give Marcel by letting her take over the spell for a bit and then the final modifications to Marcel’s overall aura and magic power were done too, or at least, that’s what they thought. 

The demon lord, after he was done with the modifications, deactivated the spell and asked Marcel how he felt. Marcel was about to say that he was fine when that stinging sensation that he felt while the spell was active come again. The demon lord looked at Marcel to discover that the spell was still active. 

The modifications that the demon lord had been confirmed to be done, were continuing even after he’d stopped the spell and Marcel’s appearance began changing again, although this time, none of the four people in the room were in control of the situation. Marcel’s new platinum blond hair turned silver. His new green eyes turned a bright shade of purple, and they showed no sign of staying purple.  

While the transformation continued without any of the four’s authorization, Marcel’s current purple eyes took another turn and his right eye started turning red like the demon lord’s. It had fully become red after a few seconds and his left eye started to follow the lead and began changing as well. Right at that moment, the demon lord did all he could to forcibly stop the transformations, leading to Marcel’s left eye not fully turning a bright crimson red color like the right. In the end, Marcel ended up with silver hair and different colored eyes, one crimson red, the other red-purple, almost fuchsia in color. Marcel stood, there bewildered over what had just happened to him and so was the other three in the room. They all stared in silence and bemusement at the newly heterochromatic hero, Marcel who looked way different than his previous transformation.  

Marcel was just as confused at the two of them and wondered what he currently looked like. The demon lord hurriedly tried to find an explanation to satisfy him but couldn’t come up with anything at that moment to explain what had just happened. He brainstormed again and again over what might have caused Marcel’s current situation, then finally the answer came. He thought of the one person who might be able to interfere with things like this and the one whom he handed control over the spell for controlling Marcel’s modifications. Yes, it was none other than his friend, and the one he asked for help regarding this same matter, Vitalis. 

“Marcel, I'm very sorry, but I think this is what the Spirit of the World wants you to look like. I’ll go talk to her later to find out why.” He said and the modifications were officially complete, but little did Marcel know that the modifications came with a few surprises. Courtesy of the spirit of the world. 

 

* * *  

It was the day after the modifications to Marcel’s body had happened, he began seeing things in his room that he’d never seen before. Everything seemed to be covered in special lights of different colors. They floated all around him and some were even on him. They looked like little orbs of light and they all seemed alive as well and they were everywhere. 

“AAAHHHH!!!” He screamed after one landed on his nose. The demon lord rushed to Marcel’s room upon hearing him scream and when he got there, Marcel looked frightened and surprised over something. 

“What is it, Marcel?!” He asked worriedly.  

“T-th-this is!!” He screamed in panic, pointing to his nose. 

“Um, I don’t know what you mean, but there’s nothing here.” The demon lord said with a blank expression, but upon seeing Marcel’s frightened expression, he took Marcel’s problem a bit more seriously. 

“But there is! There are these little things that are everywhere. I don’t know what they are and they’re swarming over me right now.” The demon lord listened to Marcel complain about something he wasn’t seeing and then he had an idea. 

“Marcel. Stay still! I’ll try something.” The demon lord said, then drew a rune on his forehead and went to Marcel, then touched his with the same finger to take over his vision. Marcel went blind a few seconds after that and he heard the demon lord say, “Oh, I see. So, you’ve begun seeing the formless spirits.” while he was still blind. His vision returned to him a few seconds after that and the first thing he saw was the smiling expression of his demon lord. It was dazzling and totally had Marcel thinking of how fortunate he was, and then he asked him why he suddenly carried the weapon of mass destruction of people’s hearts. 

“This is great, Marcel!! You can see the formless lesser spirits which are normally invisible because they lack a physical form. They’re everywhere, making them the perfect ones to ask for help about your surroundings. Think about it! With them around and you being able to see them, you’ll never get lost again. They’ll alert you of incoming danger and you’ll be able to see the different developing stages of Sigurd when he becomes a sword spirit. It’s one of the best blessings one could hope for from the spirit of the world. She really did it.”  

The demon lord looked so elated that Marcel also began feeling happy just by looking at him. He doesn’t know why, but apparently, these fluffballs are going to help him in the future, but suddenly gaining benefits out of thin air like this would come with a price, right? 

“Um, why am I suddenly able to see them, and this probably isn’t for free, right?” Marcel asked worriedly. 

“Of course, it comes with a little price. I finally got an estimate of how much magic power you have from the spirit of the world herself. Apparently, it’s endless, but since you can’t use it because of the limitations placed on you by yourself, she’ll be taking a portion of it. The eyes that see the spirits or spirit eyes are probably from that thing on your left arm. Have you forgotten about it? You told me that you got it from a dryad, right? Dryads serve the forest as caretakers. They protect the forest as manifestations of the Earth Mother’s power. If you got it from them, then it probably means that the Earth Mother wants you to have it. That thing on your arm is probably a blessing, but it never did anything since it wasn’t completely bonded to you yet, see.” The demon lord said, then pointed to Marcel’s left arm and he was right. The creeping vine tattoo on his hand had crept further down his arm, reaching his elbow. The vines were also getting more and more intricate and detailed. He could now see the little lines on the leaf. The beauty of the vines on his left arm had grown even more and Marcel wondered if it would spread eventually over his entire body. 

Marcel used a spell he’d learned to conjure up a mirror and looked into it while talking to the demon lord, “Okay, but did you ask about my hair and eyes and maybe face? My current face isn’t really a problem for me, but my eyes definitely are. I look like some weird oddball.” He said laughing at his eyes. 

“Yes, you do look like an oddball. It’s unique and suits you. Well, who knows? Vitalis might end up changing your look again in the future, so don’t worry too much about it. At least now people will naturally not pay too much attention to you, even though you’re much better-looking now than with your previous appearance.” He said the last part about being better-looking in a low voice as to not alert Marcel’s attention to it, but Marcel’s faint smile indicated that he had. 

“Ah~, thank you! But who is this Vitalis person? Is it someone I know?” Marcel asked, having forgotten that the demon lord had said that it was the spirit of the world who forcibly changed his appearance. 

The demon lord answered the forgetful Marcel, “Yes, they’ve been watching over you since you were little, but you’ve never met her in person. You’ll meet her eventually.” He answered. 

“Have you finished preparations for the day after tomorrow? You’re going out after all...” The demon lord asked, and the two had a long conversation together before the demon lord finally left to do demon lord related stuff. Is it just me or does their relationship seem to have gotten a new milestone since yesterday’s incident? 

6