Chapter 19: (Wolfgang’s POV) – Romeo and Julian
768 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It all began long ago after I came to the demon realm through a dimensional rift. Something happened a few hours after me coming here. I died, and how I did was quite hilarious if I do say so myself.   

I arrived here at about the same age too because of my arrogant and ambitious ego pushing me to enter the rift right after I found one and so, totally unprepared and unarmed except with a bit of magic, I entered the rift. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, but I’m glad that I did anyway since, without making such a stupid decision like that, I’d have never met my fated one the way I did.  

I arrived in one of the demon realms, in the middle of a desert, at night, but I was sure that the sun still had some time left before it set while I was in the human realm. It was very cold that night and with me being scantly prepared as I was, I entered a nearby cave for shelter from the cold until it was morning. Little did I know that I’d ended up in one of the most extreme places to be in the demon realm.  

I ended up in the cave leading to the place where pure fire flowers grew. The fire they produced was so warm that it felt like I was standing under the sun again and so, right there, amidst the beautiful red fire flowers, I fell asleep and my life came to an end. I didn’t know at the time that the pollen they released wasn’t something a human body could survive. By breathing in the pollen, I’d allowed the magic they possessed to invade my body, destroying everything inside me with its intense heat. That night, my short-lived human life came to an end and that wasn’t even the worst part.  

The worst part began after I had died. It was so that I hadn’t gotten any time to familiarize myself with the many different natural energies that exist here, leading to me almost losing a chance to reincarnate again as a hero. Just as I was about to perish, a certain type of natural energy chose me even though we knew nothing about each other, securing me a chance to be reborn again as a hero. The energy that chose me was that of my current race, the werewolves.   

I reincarnated into the werewolf race as the youngest son of the Silver Wolf clan leader and twenty years after that, I awoke into my full self, memories, and everything. I also got back my title as a hero again, but I kept all of it a secret.  

The dimension I was reincarnated into was a world where two main races lived, the werewolves and the vampires. The vampires and werewolves had been sworn enemies since ancient times. They fought each other relentlessly and without mercy, killed each other without a second thought, but obviously, they wouldn’t be able to sustain such a way of living forever.  

The vampires are powerful monsters capable of grand magic, enchantments and regenerating from almost any mortal injuries except for injuries inflicted by their sworn enemies, the werewolves. The werewolves, however, although not as skilled in regeneration, are capable of pushing their physical abilities to the max, enabling them to shapeshift. Their claws and fangs carry a poison capable of destroying the bodies of vampires when used at will. Their physical prowess and shapeshifting skills along with their deadly claws and fangs make them an equal match for the immortal vampire race.  

Centuries before I arrived however, the two races decided to stop waging wars against each other, opting for a different method of settling their differences. They compromised for the same of their race, putting the full-blown hatred aside and taking up rivalry instead.   

But why would races who are known to hate each other’s guts and can’t stand each other agree to such a compromise? It’s simple actually. Their numbers were dwindling more rapidly than they could replenish themselves. If they continued as they had up till then, it’d spell the end of both their races. They decided to chill out and replenish their numbers for a while. If after their races were back to full strength and they still hated each other just as much as before, they’d just continue with their battles again.  

My father, Lord Leonard Ashburn, leader of the Silver Wolf house, one of the three major clans of the werewolf race and Lord Finral Cole Thorne, ruler of the vampires and the man I'd come to call in the future my father-in-law, agreed to the temporary truce. It didn’t take long for the other two major werewolf clans, White Moon and Black Claw to follow. So, finally, the truce was put into effect and everything seemed fine until I arrived.   

I was born to the werewolf leader and his first wife. I grew up in a big mansion, raised like the prince I was. I was taught manners and courtesy but there was one thing I never understood. The reason why werewolves and vampires hated each other in the first place. As a werewolf, you could say that my first lesson was that vampires were my sworn enemy. They took the lives of countless people in our clan. The earlier princes, my brothers that came before me and countless warriors died at their hands and everyone kept telling me that it was my sworn duty to avenge them. It was something everyone tried to imprint into me, but I never understood it in the first place, so it never stuck.  

All the chaos that I'd later stir up in the future began on a random day when I was 42 years old. My dad had some business to deal with in the vampire’s domain and I asked if I could tag along. My father, being the doting father that he was, just couldn’t say no to me after I begged as hard as I could and so he finally agreed.  

We arrived in the vampire’s domain and while my father and the vampire’s ruler were having their meeting, I got bored and decided to look around for a bit.   

I took a stroll around the vampire ruler’s castle and while doing that, I came across a rose garden and there he was, sitting in a gazebo in the middle of the garden, reading a book. He continued reading and at some point, noticed me. That moment was one I’d never forget. 

He glanced at me with those deep blood-red eyes that made me feel like I’d trap myself if I stared at them for too long. There were so deep that I remember staring at them for a very long time. I wasn’t the only one doing the staring though. He stared at me too with a blank expression that made it hard to point out what he was thinking and then it happened. I caught a whiff of that sweet rose-like scent. The scent was so sweet and but also irresistible at the same time. I don’t know what happened afterward, but when I knew it, I was already back home.   

But that wasn’t the last time I met that guy whom I’d eventually learn was called Vladimir. I took every chance I could to follow my dad on his meetings just to watch Vladimir sit at that same spot and read. The smell of roses always filled the air around him. I didn’t know why back then, but ever since that day I met him, there was this interest, this curiosity that I developed towards Vladimir. Those eyes fascinated me. I felt drawn to them. I thought to myself, how could someone so beautiful and cold as he have such deep eyes?  

Seventy years passed soon after that, and what had I learned from following my father during all those years? The answer’s nothing, absolutely nothing diplomatic anyway. I learned a lot of things about Vladimir, like how he didn’t talk much and how he always had that blank expression on his face. He didn’t speak to most of his siblings or servants either, just always reading at that same spot I always found him, filling the air with that sweet rosy fragrance. I also learned that Vladimir was something of his family's most prized possession. The reason was because of some big secret.  

I didn’t just learn about Vladimir during that time I spent looking at him. I also learned a bit about myself too. I learned that over the years, my fascination with Vladimir had grown tremendously and surpassed that. I began developing feelings for him. During that time, I also did some research concerning something about Vladimir and found out about that sweet aroma I smelled whenever I got near Vladimir. The rosy smell I felt in the air while around him was something of a signal that only I can pick up. Proof that he’s my mate and after that revelation was when all the chaos started. 

I found out that Vladimir was my mate, my fated partner and that’s when hell broke loose. Secrets that were buried deep inside history. Bonds and screwed up events that happened long ago. Even secrets that my family and Vladimir’s tried desperately to hide. I found out about all of them.  

Finding out something that important wasn’t just something that’d happened just because I’d found my mate. Something happened.   

I told my parents when I found out that Vladimir was my mate and honestly it didn’t at all turn out the way I’d hoped. They told me to forget all about Vladimir while knowing full well themselves that it wasn’t something that was going to happen. Every werewolf is taught what having a fated mate meant and I wasn’t any different. Having one is the equivalent to living and dying by each other’s word. It’s a bond so strong that sometimes, even death isn’t strong enough to break it. 

Werewolves are strong, but having a mate lets you become even stronger. The presence of a mate boosts our vitality to the max. That’s how my father has managed to stay so young even after being around for such a long time. He had so many partners, both men, and women who’d developed attachments that later turned into bonds. 

A werewolf and their mate share an almost unbreakable bond, and it’s mostly something that happens between two or multiple werewolves regardless of gender, but I had somehow managed to create one with a vampire, my sworn enemy, and that wasn’t something my parents were going to accept.  

My parents were a bit unreasonable when it came to accepting my decisions, so I turned to the one power that I had. Yes, I was a hero after all. I’d forgotten about it and lived like someone from this world, but thanks to the stubbornness of everyone, I was forced to take it up again.   

I told my parents that I was leaving for a while, visited multiple dungeons and fought to gather EP to unlock more of my Informer’s abilities. I also gathered a bunch of skills and magic and raised my overall stats to the limits of normal werewolves and vampires, then I broke it, continuing to gain more power.   

After gaining enough power and upgrading my Informer’s features and Informer itself, Supreme Administrator granted me an ability that was mine and mine alone. She said it was something related to my deepest desires.  

My deepest desire had something to do with being able to hack into any Informer I want and retrieve any information I so desired. It was perfect.   

When and why did the hatred between werewolves and vampires start? Why did my father oppose the idea of me being with Vladimir even though he was my fated one? I had a lot of these questions I needed answers to, and after hacking into my father and my future father in-law's Informers, I found what I needed and it was shocking.  

Supposedly, I wasn’t the only one throughout history who’d had a vampire as a fated partner as I had thought. Werewolves and vampires developing bonds was quite a common thing long ago. The origin behind why the hatred between the vampires and werewolves started in the first place was quite a mess.   

From what I’d gotten from the vampire leader’s and my father’s Informers, the reason for the countless wars and hatred between the two races was because of two lovestruck women. This is a true story of something that happened long ago that’s been embedded deep into the royal blood of the two races. Here’s how it went;  

There was a man who developed a bond with two different women simultaneously. The women were a vampire, Elaine and a werewolf, Kara. These women haven’t on the best of terms ever since they were young and it seemed like their animosity towards each other get worse when the women developed feelings for the same man and forged a bond with him.  

The two women, even though they disliked each other to the core, decided to keep it together and not fight as it would sadden their husband. And everything seemed to be going well, that is until something came up and their husband had to leave.  

You see, their husband was a very important man. He was from a race of beasts who guarded the underworld, the Hellhound. Being a hellhound, his main duty was to guard the way to the land of the death, meaning that he’d have to eventually return to his true calling but that wasn’t even the main issue. The thing is, he could only take one of his wives at a time since that was the condition for bringing his wives with him.  

Here comes the weird part, now for him to take his wife with him, she would have to die. Sure, there wouldn’t be any problem if he chose Kara since they were technically similar in magic power since she’s a werewolf, but being as selfish as he was, he also wanted to take Elaine with him. It didn’t help the situation at all that the two women were carrying his unborn children. He couldn’t decide in time and was forced to leave for the underworld, leaving the choice up to his wives.  

The two women fought over who would have the right to privilege join their husband in the underworld first, but couldn’t get anywhere and so, they agreed to one condition together. The one who gives birth to a child of the same race as their husband wins.  

The women staked their all on their unborn children, but when they finally came, their competition ended in a draw for the both of them, again. The children both gave birth to hellhounds, meaning that they’d secured themselves the privilege, but since their husband couldn’t take both of them at once, they decided on a whole new competition.   

Oh, did I forget to mention that Elaine and Kara were the earlier ancestors of the current vampires and vampires but also members of the royal families of their respective clans?  

Elaine was the second princess of the vampires at the time and Kara was one of the nine maidens of the Howling Fang, the original werewolf clan which would later split into the three major clans.  

The women used their positions to incite war by getting their friend, a witch to help. Niobe was her name. She helped them faked their deaths in front of everyone, making the two races blame each other for the loss of a member of their royal families. It didn’t take long for the two races to start fighting among themselves, exactly like they had planned.   

After getting nowhere after all those competitions, they planned to make their families decide for them who gets to follow their husband first and here’s how their plan went;  

First, they’d get a friend to help fake their deaths in front of their families, followed by making the two races will think it’s the other’s fault for losing their respective princess and start a war. They’d fight for a while and then the race which won the war decided who won their competition. Ridiculous, right?  

Thankfully, their main goal was fulfilled not long after it was set in motion since their children grew up to be proper hellhounds, thus being able to take them both to the underworld without any assistance from their husband who by now, had waited way too long.  

You’d think devious women capable of planning a war would end it after their plan was done, but they didn’t since they well, forgot. By the time they remembered, they were already chilling with their husband in the underworld, unable to return to the land of the living since they were married to the gatekeeper. Hell was also way more relaxing than they’d expected and if they knew that it’d be like this from the beginning, they would have gone one after the other right after their husband left.  

So, with them forgetting to stop the war and explaining everything, their brothers and siblings continued killing each other off, still thinking that the other was to blame until someone finally pieced it all together. The one who did was Elaine’s brother, thank goodness. He explained it all to the others and soon after finding out the truth, the battle ended. Although that wasn’t the end of it.  

Little did everyone know that something similar to what happened with Elaine and Kara would happen again, except this time, there weren’t any women involved. This time, the three genuinely died and war broke out again over whose fault it was. After that second incident, the two families became sworn enemies with each other, leading to the countless battles and carried on into the future.  

Frankly, I was dumbfounded when I found out the secret. Vladimir’s father and mine, the only ones still alive from the time when that second incident happened, tried their best to not make another disaster like that happen again, thus never permitting a bond between their respective races. It always turned into a disaster when two races bonded with each other, so they made it their duty to secretly eliminate one of the two bonded together, even good warriors who happened to bond with each other after fighting too many times. 

After finding out about this huge secret, I wasn’t going to just sit there and watch either Vladimir or me get killed. I had to make myself strong enough to face anybody who’d get in my way and just when I did, I heard that Vladimir had died.  

“What, Vladimir had died?!” Yes, Vladimir had died. That’s the news that was delivered to my mansion by a messenger from the Thorne family who by now, knew that I was bonded with Vladimir. 

When I heard that Vladimir had died, I was so sad that I almost killed myself, but then I remembered about my ability to see every Informer that exists in the demon realms. After doing that, I found that he wasn’t dead. It’s just that time had frozen for him. He had entered a death-like state that made him seem dead, but being able to see and read from Informers, I learned that he can freely freeze himself like that. That was the big secret his family was hiding.  

Vladimir being able to maintain such a state meant something remarkable for his family. The vampires, though technically immortal had a fatal flaw that the werewolves always used against them. The problem with them was that vampires although having immortal souls didn’t have immortal bodies. Their bodies still needed things like sleep and essence from time to time, meaning that they have to rest their tired bodies for a long time. The claws and fangs of werewolves had a similar effect to this, although if the poison stayed in the vampire’s bodies for too long, it made their bodies crumble, leaving them harmless. That’s what death is to a vampire. 

Vladimir being able to freeze his time meant that he wouldn’t need to rest his body at some point. His family was trying to figure out how he did it, but they never did. He managed to be able to freeze his father and siblings’ time, making then true immortals, but that was as far as his ability could go since he couldn’t do it on any other vampire even after trying. You could say that he could only use it on people from his bloodline. But this time, what he had done to himself was completely different from what his family knew about his ability. Even they thought that he was gone in the beginning.  

So, Vladimir officially died in the eyes of everyone, including his father and siblings. Everyone, including his family, thought that he was dead and he managed to almost fooled me too, but then I decided to go and take him away. But even though they knew that Vladimir was dead, they still had some hope that he wasn’t since even after a few days passed after his supposed ‘death’, his body remained intact.  

I first requested his family to give me Vladimir’s blood ruby if he had died, but they refused. They also didn’t know about my ability to see their dirty secrets either so, after a few days of watching their Informers and seeing what they’d been up to, they came to my mansion with a blood ruby covered in Vladimir’s essence. You’d think that it was his, but it turned out to be a fake.  

What’s this blood ruby that I'm talking about? It’s something that’s left behind after a vampire ‘dies’. Dying for vampires is their body crumbling away, leaving only a crimson red stone containing the vampire’s soul essence. The vampire’s lover, if they had any, gets to keep it with them until the day when the vampire finally reemerges from the stone after forming a body, and it takes a very long time to make one again.  

Soon I ran out of patience and decided to storm into the vampire ruler’s castle to get Vladimir. My father tried to stop me but I won when he used, ‘You can leave if you manage to defeat me’ line. I won, then told my father that I'd hate him if he tried to stop me, so in the end, he had no choice but to tag along and help me like the doting father that he was.  

When I got to the castle, I went full-blown crazy. I beat everyone on my way to Vladimir, challenged his father and won even though he’s super strong.   

Even though my father was surprised when I defeated him, he could stop himself from getting shocked when I managed to Vladimir’s father as well. I then exposed all the secrets Vladimir’s father and mine were hiding and spoiler alert: they were so surprised to know that they couldn’t even say anything the whole time I spoke.  

Everyone there that day found out about the truth and my father and Vladimir’s admitted to it to all they’d done. They said nothing good ever comes out of a werewolf and vampire having a bond, but I had prepared one more surprise for them. I went on to show them something that I discovered later on after learning the big secret. A secret that I obtained after snooping around. Something I got from Informers of acquaintances of theirs. 

You see, when the second incident with the three guys happened, it turns out that they didn’t die either. They got helped by a certain witch again and escaped before death could claim them. The vampire and werewolf have been living together in the elven dimension with their elf husband all this time and they even have kids together.  

Vladimir’s father was stoked after hearing that the vampire was fine. Spoiler alert: The vampire from that incident also happens to be his brother, and no surprise at all, the werewolf turned out to be my uncle.  

So, the rulers apologized to everyone about how they’d done such cruel things just because of past events. They decided to stop trying to separate vampires bonded with werewolves and vice-versa. They asked me a lot of questions about how I knew their secrets and after trying so hard to hide it, I finally told them I was a hero. Vladimir’s father was more than happy to hand him over after he learned that his son-in-law was a hero, but there was still one problem. You see, Vladimir is still frozen and nobody knows how to set him free.  

After days of trying to figure out how to unfreeze Vladimir’s death-like state, I finally managed to do it. Who knew that being in the same room as Vladimir for thirty minutes was all it took?  

So, after Vladimir woke up, I told him how I felt, although he didn’t say anything, like usual. I thought I was going to get to carry him home, but, turns out I’m the one who’d be staying.  

His father kept me there to entertain him for a while, then appointed Vladimir duke of Blood Phalanx, a territory sitting right in the middle of the vampire’s side of the world and the werewolf’s side. My father-in-law gave me his blessings and personally carried out the binding ceremony for our marriage, then kicked us off his property, although not before telling me something I found very weird.   

He told me that bonds aren’t something as random as I thought it was. I didn’t understand it then, well, until we got to Blood Phalanx. There I learned that Vladimir had been completely smitten with me way longer than I was. He was normally calm and never opposed his father about anything, but then he told his father the same thing I did mine. He rejected his father’s disapproval and used that time freezing ability on himself as an act of rebellion, although not before leaving me with the key which I guess, was our bond.  

When it was finally time to do what two people in love with each other do, I thought that I’d be sticking it into Vladimir, but then I got defeated. He was an undefeatable top with a deep and sexy voice. I’m a hero so I’m expected to have very high stamina, but Vladimir puts me to shame when it comes to that. This one time, he made us continue for a whole month, nonstop. When he was finally done, I felt like I was about to die. I couldn’t do anything for weeks and right after I recovered, he went right back to it. I may have lost the battle when it comes to sex, but I don’t care anymore since I won myself a hot guy who gets jealous even when I’m speaking to my family.  

What I did that day spelled a change for not just me and Vladimir, but also vampires and werewolves in my world. Blood Phalanx became a place where werewolves and vampires come and go. The territory that Vladimir ruled over became something that slowly chipped away at the remaining rivalry that was left until it was gone, permanently. 

Everything ended up working out in the end. I finally put an end to the dispute between the werewolves and vampires and I managed to get myself a hot guy too. You shouldn’t always believe what others say. It never ends well if you blindly listen to what others say without any real facts to back those up.   

That’s the story of how I died, got reincarnated, met and got married to Vladimir and ended a pointless cycle of hatred between the werewolves and vampires. 

9