Chapter 22: Chosen Ones
637 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Allan’s POV

It all began the day after the demon lord’s party. I was suddenly hit by a bad fever and collapsed and after I woke up, something felt different. It wasn’t at all like I felt the day before. Everything felt new. 

My body was brimming was a newfound strength that I never had before and as if that wasn’t unusual enough, my father seemed to not mind at all even when I made mistakes, and that was seriously disturbing. 

My dad is Lancel Wolfram Archlen, a general of the witch race, one of the most outstanding attack mages in all of the demon realms. He was also a huge fan of the demon lord ever since he personally intervened in a war and ended it with a single spell. My father never shuts up about it and along with my mom who was also there at the time, reminisce about that day over and over again. I’ve heard the story so many times that I can repeat it word for word. 

I am Allan Wolfram, son of Lancel Archlen and Levitae Wolfram, one of werewolf nobility. Before the day I met him and everything changed, my parents were super... well, not so parenty. They only ever cared about one thing; for me to become one of the demon lord’s Chosen Ones. 

What’s that, you may ask? Well, the demon lord’s Chosen Ones are a special group of people that serve him. Unlike how people normally apply for work in shops and even the military, they’re directly chosen by the demon lord’s power upon their first meeting. They’re also the only ones who work in the demon lord’s castle. From guards to chefs to maids to helpers, all of them are chosen by the demon lord’s power. They all also have one thing in common; they’re smart, capable and for the most part, talented individuals. These people after meeting the demon lord became known for their immense talents and abilities. It’s the dream for everyone who wants to become famous and popular. 

My parents want me to be part of the Chosen Ones to serve the demon lord instead of the two of them who weren’t chosen. They made me work hard all my life, seldom going anywhere without their permission, like some future investment that might disappear if they lost sight of it for a second. They always told me that I was their hope, the one who’d accomplish what they never could. The one who fate and luck smiled upon since I met the talent criteria of the Chosen Ones.  

I don’t like to brag but saying that I know my way around magic isn’t an exaggeration at all. I cast my first magic spell when I was three, which is incredible enough and at six, I made a spell that inspired my father to create his masterpiece just from looking at it. I’m considered a genius in academics and even now, my research is used by both the witch assault squad and my werewolf family. I always get praised by great-grandfather whenever I see him. Almost nobody knows about me but that’s okay since I get to do whatever I want as long as I’m home where my overprotective parents know I’m safe from people who might steal away their chance to get closer to the demon lord.  

Back to the main point, the day of the demon lord’s party was supposed to be the first time meeting the legendary person my parents always talked about, the demon lord, but I never got to because of something else. Instead, I met a young person like me claiming to be a hero, and it was so fun talking with him that I forgot all about the demon lord. I realized it when I came back home and my parents almost blew up when I told them that I hadn’t. 

The day after the party was a dreadful one for me. I had a terrible fever. I felt nauseous, my body felt like it was on fire and my magic was all over the place with no control at all over it and for once, I wasn’t second on my parent’s priority list instead of the demon lord. They nursed me with love and care and honestly, it felt nice. They finally took care of me for the first time in who knows how long like real parents, not leaving it up to the servants until I recovered. 

A few days after that, I felt like a whole new person and it wasn’t just me who thought that either. My appearance had changed a bit as if I'd grown overnight. My short blue hair was now longer and for some reason, I couldn’t get it back to its normal length no matter how much I cut. It just kept on growing back until it reached my back. I think I also got a bit of a touch upon my skin as well. It looked better now than it ever looked before. 

Changes in appearance like spontaneous hair growth were one of the symptoms Chosen Ones first experience after meeting the demon lord. There’s also something of a red insignia resembling a bird that appears out of nowhere, but that didn’t seem to have appeared on me yet, so everything was still under control. No conclusions could be made yet. 

My parents still wanted to check with the demon lord, but since all the signs hadn’t appeared yet, they had to wait. A few days of impatient waiting, well about a week or so and the last finally appeared, although, it wasn’t a red bird... was a slight variation of a bird, a pair of wings. The wings insignia I had carried a bit of green at the primary section of the wings and the other parts of it were grayish-silvery looking and etched unto my back. I noticed signs of it appearing but just ignored them until a few days and boom, there they were, all across my back and they were beautiful. 

Both my parents and I were very confused about it since it wasn’t exa- not scratch that, it was nothing like a red bird. It was more like the wings of a green bird and I had no idea what it meant, so they decided to finally check in with the demon lord, although I didn’t see the real point of it since it wasn’t a red bird, plain and simple.  

There was also the fact that this man had stolen away all the care and love my parents were supposed to give to me without even trying. If it turned out to be that I was a Chosen One even though my sign was that of a green bird, I'd mean that I’d also have to work for this same man who probably doesn’t know anything about how much he’s wronged me, so I wasn’t super looking forward to it, at all.  

The demon lord, according to what I'd heard from my parents was incredible. I mean being able to stop a war with just one spell sounds all in all, impossible. But if he was such an incredible person, why didn’t he just stop the war before it even began? Well, the answer is simple, that’s because he’s the most powerful person in all of the realms and has been designated a neutral party in certain affairs. By order of the Supreme Administrator, he can’t interfere in certain matters until it’s absolutely necessary or gets out of hand. She must also agree to it to let his interference in such battles.  

The demon lord from what heard from the servants and my parents anyway was a kind person, but he never had anyone too close to him because everyone felt like he shone with too much radiance. I guess that’s the price that powerful people pay for such overwhelming strength. 

After another week of trying to get in contact with the demon lord, they finally managed to grab some time off of him and then we went to meet him.  

We arrived in the middle of the day, a bit past noon, and my dad went in first to talk to the demon lord. After a bit, he came back and said something we all thought was weird. The demon lord said that he knew nothing about my current situation. He said that the Supreme Administrator hasn’t told him anything about a new Chosen One. My dad went back in again and insisted on him to see me and so, after about half an hour, I got to meet the demon lord. 

He took us to a private room where he checked where the insignia was, my back, and tried passing some magic through it, although nothing happened, thus confirming his earlier statement. If I really was one of the demon lord’s Chosen Ones, I’d have some sort of resonating reaction the moment he passed some magic into the insignia, leading to it either changing color or glowing or something, but nothing, absolutely nothing happened, although the magic wasn’t rejected by the insignia. 

The demon lord, wanting to be sure of it, tried a few more times to make everyone in that room certain of the fact that I wasn’t called by him, and it was clearly understood by both me and my parents when he was done. We headed back to the reception room and my father apologized for taking up the demon lord’s time. The demon lord was as kind as everyone said he was. He insisted that it was nothing and he and my parents chatted for a while. I sat there and watched my parents fawn over the demon lord once again and for the first time, I understood why without my parents having to yell it into my ears. 

He was kind, attentive, charismatic and also incredibly good-looking to boot. Adding the immense but calm magic power and aura made him seem kind of perfect, quite god-like actually. He was like a being far superior to us all.  

The demon lord and my parents talked about how the pattern on my back was none like he’d ever seen and how the green part of it reminded him of something he saw on someone else. They then continued discussing the topic of the demon lord’s new partner, the hero whom the demon lord claim was to be his groom and boy, did they all have a lot to say. 

So, after two hours of nonstop talking between the three of them, they were finally done. We were ready to head back home. I wanted to go back and finish something I was working on and just as we got up, about to leave, something happened. 

I felt a tingly sensation om my back like it was itching for something and we heard the voice of the demon lord’s secretary getting closer and closer to our location. He seemed to be yelling at someone and the person who barged into the room with him surprised me. It was him, the guy I met that day at the demon lord’s party, that guy who said he was a hero. 

 

Marcel’s POV

Lately, I’ve noticed that my control over my magic has been worsening, a lot. I can’t probably gather up the magic I need to cast spells, which has begun to halt my training. Claude suggested that the cause of it was that one time I had with the demon lord and I obviously denied it. 

To prove that I was right, he wanted the demon lord to confirm it by activating magic the same time as me to see if he was the problem or not and I agreed. The plan was to make the demon lord stabilize my magic if he really was the cause of the problem but then when we entered the room that he was currently in, I met him again. The boy I talked to on the day of the party although he looked a bit different compared to a few days ago. 

I was a bit surprised at first and just stood there, not knowing what to do until Claude just sent me a telepathic message, telling me to greet the guests who’d arrive in the room. 

I greeted them with respect, said my name and everything and they seemed pretty happy. I went to greet the guy I meet the other day next, stretching my hand out for a handshake. When he took my hand, something happened. 

His shirt just out of nowhere just exploded into nothing and there was this marking on his back that was glowing and resonating as if it was alive. The next few seconds were filled with an awkward silence that made me feel extremely uncomfortable since everyone was looking at me. The demon lord finally said something after a minute or so. 

“Oh, that’s great. It seems you have the same ability as I do.” A smile appeared on his face as he said those words. 

Same ability? What was he talking about? I wondered. Claude explained to me afterward. 

The demon lord has a sort of mysterious ability to sort of activates when he meets someone that’s to become his servant for the first time. He unconsciously grants them a special ability during their first meeting and the person chosen feels the effects of it a few days after. Claude also remarked that the pattern on the boy I met is unlike any of the ones he’d ever seen before. His was the regular, the demon lord’s vermillion-colored bird. It appears that mine is a pair of wings.  

He told me that since I was made the demon lord’s wife by the Spirit of all spirits, maybe all this wasn’t just a coincidence or something that came about due to the situation. Maybe I was plain and simple, destined to become the demon lord’s wife. I didn’t like the part about destiny but strange enough, I actually think that it’s true. Besides, if the demon lord has his personal army thanks to that mysterious ability of his, then doesn’t that mean that I can also create my army to fight against him if something goes wrong along the line. This mysterious ability is great. 

After the explanation from Claude to everyone, the boy’s parents asked us if the boy wasn’t called by the demon lord but rather his fiancée and the boy started to look panicky again like that time, we meet but what they did after that changed everything for him, I guess. 

They looked at me with a smile on their faces and said that this was even better. We all knew what they were thinking after they said it was good. They were probably thinking that they’ll get updates about my relationship with the demon lord straight from a reliable source, their son, who’d never dare to lie to them because of his filial dedication. They handed him to me and the mother introduced both her and her husband. 

“My name is Levitae Wolfram and this is Lancel Archlen, and this is our son, Allan Wolfram Archlen. I leave him in your care.” She said and then stared at my face even more than she had after I entered the room. She made me sit by her and told me a whole bunch of stuff about her son and asked me to spill the beans on my relationship status with the demon lord after dragging me out of the room. I told her we just met and she suggested ways for me to get closer, but I didn’t listen to her romantic ramblings. After all, who knows if I'm ever going to need it. 

When we came back, the room was filled with an air of silence that didn’t feel quite right. All that happened after been back in that room was my face being stared at by the two new guys who looked with wonder as if I was unlike anything they'd seen before. 

I don’t know what happened in there while I was gone, but the boy whom I now knew was called Allan, seemed as eager to talk to me now as we had the day of the party and so we stepped out of the room and never saw his parents leave. I asked him what they talked about while I was outside and he seemed to jump the question. He diverted my attention from it for a while by saying that the demon lord had made an agreement with his parents to live in this castle with me. After all, he was my servant and has to be there at all times. I didn’t like the idea and told him that I'd rather have a friend instead and what he said after made me even more curious about what they talked about while I was away. 

“Ha ha~!! Looks like he was right after all. You really are normal than the rest.” That made me even more curious about this ‘thing’ that they talked about, but he just wouldn’t spill any more than that.  He just laughed and acted as if he knew nothing.  

I wonder. Which ability did I grant him when I chose him? I asked him but he said that he didn’t know either.  

And so that’s how I gained my first friend after coming to the demon realm. His name was Allan Wolfram and I had a feeling that we were going to get along just fine. 

7