Chapter 4: Puppet Master
48 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: The Puppet Master
Thresh returned to the Shadow Isles. He accompanied a fresh-faced Summoner through the ghost-strewn landscape and haunted trees. The Summoner fidgeted with his robe, gnawing his lip, though Thresh thought his fear was misguided. The Summoners wielded vast power binding Champions to them. The young Summoner shouldn’t fear Thresh. True, Champions whispered he killed without provocation, and his legend horrified most; but Thresh couldn’t cut down the Summoner where he stood, as much as he hated to admit it. No, Thresh lacked the power to. His relationship with Summoners was an uneasy one. He despised being under their control, he despised them probing his mind and binding him with magic. Though the relationship between Champions and Summoners worked this way.

This Summoner, a young page named Kei, swallowed when he noted the furtive rustling of creatures hiding in the glowing brush. Thresh escorted him to the designated meeting area. Someone named Thanatos would contact them. Ever since Thresh came to the League, Thanatos asked him to collect souls in a lantern for him, and Thresh reluctantly obeyed. He’d never glimpsed Thanatos’s face before, yet he would always communicate to them telepathically in their assigned spot at the knot of a tree that spread strangled limbs to the sky.

“I want out of here,” Kei's green eyes widened with fear. “Master Thanatos doesn’t like to wait. If we’re late, I’ll be punished. Oh dear, it wouldn’t be good.”

Thresh wanted to tell the fledgling Summoner to shut up, but kept his peace. The Summoners can inflict unimaginable pain on the Champions, to force them into obeisance. Thresh didn’t know how long this relationship existed, though the other Champions accepted it as the status quo. Though Thresh wished to dig deeper underneath the surface. The entire situation bothered him, though the spectral being couldn’t quite put a finger on it.

The Summoners concealed a secret from the Champions. That much was obvious. The other Champions wondered as well, though they didn’t dare fight back against the hand that fed them. Luxuries and privileges given to them in this world of Runeterra kept them compliant, with lots of money and prestige and fame for participating in the gladiatorial games of the League. They lived in comfort. They also never seemed to die, no matter how badly marred or scarred or mauled they became when they fought in the League. When a Champion ‘died’, they went straight back to the Infirmary. Though everything was blank for a few seconds before they found themselves back on the battlefield again. That was suspicious, wasn’t it?

“Thresh,” the young Summoner said. “You ever get scared?”

Thresh laughed inappropriately as though Kei were very foolish. Though, he wouldn’t readily admit even he feared the Summoners themselves. Something about them, especially about Thanatos, he couldn’t quite place. He tried to remember and piece his memories together. He couldn’t tell what his memories were outside the League. The Summoners merely told him his backstory, that he was a mad jailer who was hung by his own chains by rioting prisoners. Then he became a specter to haunt those in the afterlife.

We’re here,” Thresh said simply.

He planted the lantern on a tree trunk that stood in the clearing’s center, as though offering these souls to a primordial god. Though Thresh was sure Thanatos was no god; the Summoners were mere mortals, like most beings in Runeterra. But still, something like Thresh himself; it seemed ridiculous mere mortals controlled an entity like him. Or someone like Xerath, who transcended the barriers of ascension and became a god-like being who the Summoners controlled. The Summoners must’ve done something to manipulate all kinds of legendary heroes and villains and champions in the League. But how? That was what Thresh wanted to know.

So you’ve come, a telepathic voice said in the clearing.

His voice resonated everywhere at once, rebounding and echoing with ominous tones which even made Thresh pause.

Kei, you’ve monitored this Champion, haven’t you?

“Y-Yes,” Kei bit his lip. “He’s unusually cooperative.”

“Aren’t I always though?” Thresh said in a mock sweet tone.

Kei simply gave Thresh a look. He knew what that look meant: Please Gods Thresh don’t get me in trouble with Thanatos..

Have you got the souls? Thanatos asked.

Thresh held out his lantern and set it on the hollowed tree stump. “I did as you asked. Now, about what I want in exchange…”

Thresh. I will give you one warning only. You are overstepping your boundaries.

Thresh swept a gauntleted hand towards his chest in a mock bow, to piss Thanatos off. If only he could see Summoner in the first place.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m merely a humble servant of the Summoners. Surely giving me this little piece of information won’t harm anything.”

What information do you seek? Remember, you are nothing but a tool and a weapon. If a Summoner wills it, you obey. That’s the natural order of things.

“But you’ve given me more freedoms than most,” Thresh said before the Summoner sighed in his head. “Oh? Do you not like that fact?”

I’m wondering if I should replace you, Thresh.

“I can do it,” Thresh said as he looked towards a gauntleted hand. He wouldn’t beg to Thanatos, no matter how much the Summoner wanted him to.

Oh, it’s going to get much worse, Thanatos mocked right back at Thresh. If Thresh had a tongue, he would’ve bitten it so he didn’t snap at the Summoner who insulted his intelligence so. But Thresh must be patient. He prepared a long con scheme. He needed patience. He needed it for his most meticulous of works, which were said to be art. Some of the champions had no taste at all. Hmph.

You are speaking to me with honeyed words. I do not believe you. But no matter. Should the time come that I extend my hand, I can eliminate you with only a portion of the magical power that flows through my pinky finger, Thresh. Don’t go probing into matters that are beyond your understanding. Am I clear?

“Transparently,” Thresh shifted from his mocking half bow. “Well then, if that’s all you need from me…”

See to it that you continue harvesting souls, Thanatos said. But remember, I am always watching.

Kei stood awestruck. “You’re not planning on doing anything, are you, Mr. Thresh?”

“Oh no,” Thresh said. “Why does everyone think so lowly of me? As I said, I’m merely a humble servant of the Summoners…”

0