Chapter 6: Rumormongers
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: Rumormongers
Akali seethed. She didn’t like encountering Zed, nor did she approve of Shen still treating her like a child. She was old enough to make her own decisions, damn it! Just because Shen and Zed may be slightly older than her didn’t mean that she didn’t know anything! Akali tore out fistfuls of grass in frustration while she had been trying to meditate, to calm her angered emotions. But the more she thought about it, the more she thought about Zed mocking her. She will surpass him in his arts, as a mockery to her tribute to him as his star pupil, before killing him with glee. She wanted him to feel pain, she wanted to get him where it hurts most. But Zed seemed to go by his whims and principles, and he didn’t care at all about her or Shen, whom he once treated like his lover, and the other whom he treated closer than his brother.

Kennen attempted to reassure her that everything was okay, and Akali smiled at the Yordle and gave him her thanks, though still… She had to defeat Zed, and she had serious doubts about whether or not she could do it. As much as Shen may protest against this, this was something that Akali had to do. She couldn’t hesitate. She must not waver. She hated Zed with all her heart, and she will continue to do so. It’s that hatred and seething anger that lingered underneath the surface that fueled her, that propelled her into action. As much as Shen would preach about temperance, Akali believed that taking action was more important than staying inside the cerebral realm of meditation.

She encountered Zed again when they were in the cafeteria mess hall. Turning rigid, AKei’s spine straightened. She wouldn’t dignify him with even a glare. Stay cool, Akali. She simply would brush past him without a second thought, she told herself. If she acknowledged his presence, then he would surely try to egg her on, to get her blood pressure rising, to goad her into a fight to prove his superiority as a mentor towards her, and to prove that she was a little girl after all. She hated, more than anything, still being viewed as a child despite reaching her eighteenth birthday. She was no longer a little girl. Akali tried to ignore him, though Zed continued to taunt her, as usual.

“You’re sulking like the child Shen thinks you are,” Zed said casually, and Akali, said nothing, taking a few deep steady breaths to calm herself and counted to three. Just walk by, no big deal. She would eat her lunch in silence and she would enjoy her meal in peace. Don’t give in to Zed. Do not let him tempt her. She was a stronger will than this, though Akali felt that bloodlust within her flare up again. Also, the need to prove herself, both herself and Shen. Or was it Zed? Actually, who’s approval was she seeking here? Was it just for herself or was this petty ego games, as Shen would probably tell her?

“Ignoring me doesn’t change the truth of my words,” Zed said with a narrow of his eyes. “Don’t tell me…perhaps you’re sleeping with Thresh?”

Akali threw her fork in his direction for implying that she was a whore. Zed easily moved his head aside and the fork struck through the wall dead center, wavering for a moment from the force of impact that it was thrown. She didn’t make a scene afterward, though she ate her lunch in silence, away from Shen and Kennen, who would normally accompany her during her meal times, and then went straight to training after lunch.

She brandished her kamas with grace and skill. The forests of Ionia had plenty of large trees that she can practice her weaponry skills on, and she slashed through dozens of trees and watched with satisfaction as they tipped over and fell with deafening crashes onto the ground. She didn’t care if the sacred land was being desecrated or whatever; she needed to vent her action, and this was way more effective than meditation could be She needed to feel the blood pumping through her arteries and energy through her limbs.

She didn’t care how childish she looked. She simply let her anger become steely determination, to become a single-minded focus that sharpened like the point of a spear. A spear that she would hurl through Zed’s chest if she could. Sometimes this led her to train more intensely before, and she felt that it was making her stronger, finer focused, more driven for this mission.

I’m going to kill him, Akali thought fiercely to herself as she sliced more trees down with her kamas. I will surpass him in his own arts. For what he did to Shen, I will never forgive.

“Akali!”

Kennen stopped by, noting the ferocity in Akali’s attacks and the strain that she was putting on herself. Why did he look so concerned? She was fine, wasn’t she?

Akali stopped to pause momentarily, unaware of just how tired she was after exerting all her strength into slicing down the trees. Damn it, she couldn’t move and suddenly became aware of a strain that was biting into her biceps. At least, she hoped it was only a strain.

“Hello, Kennen,” Akali said before she fell down on her knees and collapsed. She heard Kennen calling for her, though consciousness swept away from her like a current and she was caught in the undertow of oblivion.

—x—

Akali woke up in the Infirmary. She found herself bound in bandages, wearing a sling around her arm and bandages wrapped around part of her chest and shoulders. Akali stared at them in wonder. She didn’t believe that she trained that hard; did she seriously train to the point of breaking her own bones? Huh, though she supposed that the setting bones after breaking them would only become stronger afterward. She would wear it like a badge of honor. Though Shen would probably tell her it was a foolish mistake, and Akali’s cheeks burned a bright red. It was no badge of honor. It simply was an amateur mistake. Wasn’t it taught in the Ionian Meditations that overtraining to the point of exhaustion defeated the purpose of training? It was important to go beyond your comfort zone, yes, but this was beyond going through the comfort zone….

“Looks like you got injured while training,” Kennen said sympathetically. “Akali, tell me what’s bothering you. You’re usually not this careless.”

Akali looked away. “I was angry and I guess I overdid it.”

She didn’t elaborate on why she was angry, though Kennen probably understood. He knew not to press it any further, before saying,” Maybe when you’re dong recovering, we could do something together, Akali. I miss our games together.”

Akali’s smile softened towards Kennen, as she reached over to pat the Yordle on the head. She adored Kennen, for his jovial demeanor and for being lighthearted about scenarios. He could also be a bit hyperactive, which was probably due to his lightning abilities, but he also had a good head on his shoulders. Despite being diminutive and seemingly acting younger than he is, Kennen could give solid advice from time to time, and sometimes even Shen would seek his counsel when he found he couldn’t pick Akali’s brain further. Akali then felt a little guilty that Shen and she have been neglecting Kennen ever since they’ve been together, though Kennen seemed to understand, well enough. Kennen didn’t seem to be in a relationship with anyone else in the League, though he had some Camaderie with his fellow Yordles, though he was more mysterious than most.

“You’re right, Kennen. I feel that I’ve been neglecting our friendship ever since…you know…”

“Haha, don’t worry about it, ‘Kali,” Kennen said with a teasing edge to his tone. So the Champions are gossipping, as usual.”

“What have you been hearing, Kennen?” Akali asked, curious. Though she probably knew from staying in the shadows and observing as Zed did, though Kennen was also a crafty little Yordle who can use his adorable stature and face to disarm people into giving him information that they normally wouldn’t give him. Even though Kennen sometimes acted less intelligent than he actually is, he was quite crafty and used people’s underestimation of him to his advantage. That was why he made a worthy ninja alongside the Kinkou.

“Well, they’re just rumors, but like they’re thinking that…well, I don’t want to repeat it.”

“They think I’m sleeping with Thresh, right?”

Kennen nodded, looking a bit bashful.

Akali sighed.

“Zed used that to goad me earlier today, actually,” Akali said, and cursed herself for how adorable Kennen was. He had a way of disarming people, especially his friends sometimes. That was part of his power and unique charm, actually.

“Don’t listen to them,” Kennen said. “It’s unfair what they say about you. Sometimes, people are just petty creatures but you should stand tall, Akali. You’re the Pruning of the Tree, and I’m proud to call you my friend.”

“I of course am proud to have you as a friend as well, Kennen,” Akali said with a gentle smile while she gently hugged Kennen towards herself.

Kennen returned her hug, before saying. “Well, I’ll come to visit you and hope that you make a swift recovery. It’s always reassuring to have you on the battlefield as an ally.”

Akali nodded before Kennen left. He managed to alleviate her spirits from its earlier depression and overthinking musings. Shen would probably visit her though, and Akali’s smile disappeared from her face. She still wasn’t happy with him. She wondered if her meeting with Thresh changed the dynamics of their relationship. She didn't think that Shen would believe the rumors about her (of sleeping with Thresh or even with Zed, for that matter, behind Shen’s back). Whatever, she would handle it as it came. She would stand tall. She was a Kinkou Ninja, after all, there was a reason that Shen chose her as the Pruning of the Tree. He trusted her judgment and that she would follow through with whatever task was assigned to her. Even though he didn’t like Thresh, Akali believed that she would be performing her duties as the Pruning of the Tree, even though she was acting independently of Shen’s wishes. Not that she wished to disobey him or spurn his word, but she felt that she would only get answers this way. She needed them. When Shen entered the room, Akali said a quick meditative chant in her head.

“Shen,” Akali said evenly,.

“Akali.”

Akali nodded mutely. She still was a little miffed from their earlier argument. But let bygones be bygones, she supposed. They sat in silence for a few moments, and Shen took her hands within his own. He lightly rubbed his thumb across the palm of her hand, and Akali looked towards him, trying to discern the expression on his face. Ever since she had been together with Shen, she was able to read the subtle signs of body language and expressions on hs face. Though Shen wasn’t as expressive as most, body language never lied. His grip tightened on her hands, as though he didn’t want to let her go.

Shen shook his head in disapproval.

“Do you know how much of a psychic cost it’s causing you to obsess over Zed?” Shen said, and Akali flared up at Shen again. She injured herself, and he didn’t show any concern whatsoever for her? Though some part of Akali understood that Shen was right, and she hated him for being right all the time.

“I can’t sit around idly,” Akali said. “I need to get…to the match. I have to have that match with Zed.”

“Why do you insist on that match with Zed?” Shen said. “I will stop you if I must, Akali. I know that you will push yourself to the point of killing yourself.”

Akali attempted to leave, though Shen grabbed her by the arm and forced her into the bed.

“I will call one of the Summoners to restrain you, Akali,” Shen said. “You best not resist.”

Akali glared at Shen but said nothing. She used a smoke shroud to escape from his grasp and headed out the hallway, though the Summoners were there, as promised. They inserted a syringe into Akali’s neck to sedate her, and then she knew no more.

0