Chapter 4 A date with destiny.
560 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Valentine: Yes, some people just can't keep themselves contained." 

I am a paragon of self containment, even with a murder of crows, suddenly circling around us, I keep my asscheeks clenched and back straight. 'If I die I'll take one of you with me, head first, down to the ground.'

I try to defuse this bomb, before it blows here and now, and turn to the little shit stain, eating on the table. "Little one, you do understand I can't feed your friends all at once, if you invite someone, do it in moderation."

"CAW,CAW,CAW"

The tornado of black death slowly dispersed, leaving us four on the roof. I turn away, from the death stares of the women, to look at the forest and secretly wipe away a bucket load of sweat that I've accumulated. "There must be a whole colony living in the forest."

I've spent, what felt like an hour of exercising, looking out and hoping that she takes the bait. Then finally a gorilla screams in Japanese…

"Meiko: How dare you! You filthy swine!!!"
I play the foreigner card again. "Buta?…Pork?"
"Mari: It's fine Meiko, we were warned beforehand that this topic will not be a pleasant one." Looking at me she continues. "I can agree that the one who pulled this kind of machination is deserving of the scorn of all the women who have ever attended this academy."

'Now! for the timeless ultimate technique: change the subject, before more questions are asked and I dig my own grave.'

"Valentine: As I've said, it's not a pleasant topic for conversation. To change the mood, let me bring out something sweet for you, sweet things always cheer me up. Neither of you have any allergies to local fruits, berries, potato starch or milk products, no? Good! I'll be back up in a jiffy!" 

I fight against my desire to move faster and walk, with what I hope appears to others like a confident stride of no-nonsense professional.
There was no answer to my question but I just walked forward with a smile.

'Is she a fucking summoner? Where do all those crows come from!? There were likely a few hundred of those things!?! It's a damn miracle I didn't empty my bowels right there and then!'

Pov: Mari.

The male foreigner has taken our silence as consent and walked downstairs.

"Mari: Meiko calm down, I need a minute to think this through. Let's take a seat for the moment."

"Meiko: Yes, lady Mari, but this vulgar man's presence is an upfront to the Hachimitsu Academy! There is no way that this station was approved by the headmistress!"
"Mari: Unfortunately there does exist a precedent, I have not seen it with my own eyes yet, but the laundry company our academy has a contract with employs a male worker to collect and deliver our laundry."
"Meiko: My apologies lady Mari I had no idea." 

"Mari: The very idea, that a male is using money and influence to force his ideas upon the academy, is revolting to the core. At the moment, I am not sure what to make of this chef either. What do you think Meiko?"
"Meiko: I would expect nothing less from the filthy men with money. Defiling a private girls' academy as much as they can. Regardless of the reason, this matter must be brought to attention."
"Mari: It does feel as if this place was purposefully concealed, so that no one would even know of its existence, under normal circumstances."
"Meiko: Indeed, lady Mari, the walk here, through the forest, took us a bit under half an hour and there were no paved paths or cleared trails, there is definitely some kind of intention behind such placement."
"Mari: I believe me must gather more information, and I have my suspicions on who could be exerting pressure and providing the finances."
"Meiko: As expected, lady Mari, you already have a lead."
I nod to Meiko. 'I will have to contact father and confirm my suspicions, but to think he would put his hands on the academy… If it's true I must protect the students.'

Pov Valentine.

In the kitchen, after calming down for a minute, I serve up 2 glass dessert bowls of chilled kissel and whipped cream. I lament that my stock of fresh food is becoming non-existent.' One crisis at a time, first I need to survive today to worry about tomorrow. Round two, let's send them packing!'

Getting back to the roof I announce loudly: "Sorry for the wait!, here we have summer fruit kissel topped with whipped cream, a kissel being similar to fruit jelly but less solid, I believe it is more common around Europe than Asia, but you know the saying: sweets are justice! Especially if it's all natural and healthy!"

I serve the table, walking around and placing hand towels, water, spoons and the dishes. "Is there anything I can do for you at the moment of would you prefer to not be disturbed?" 'Send me away and eat my limited, precious desserts!'

"Mari: It appears that we caught you during breakfast, please do not mind us if you wish to finish that, and we would like to ask some more questions if you don't mind."
"Valentine: Ah, yes, it is just a bit past 10 a.m. I was expecting students to be in class at this hour. So you have indeed caught me unprepared. I'll be happy to answer what little I can." I move to my table with the crow. The gorilla already ate a quarter of the dish and stopped. 'Is she acting like a poison tester? The beastmistress has not even touched the spoon. HA!, I don't have any booze much less poison!'

"Mari: Mr chef, can you tell us more about this restaurant, when are you expecting students to come here? Do you have any explicit instructions to follow? Are there any more employees here?"
"Valentine: I've been told to take a week to get used to the kitchen and then just be ready for a few people coming in sometimes. My salary doesn't depend on sales and the academy is actually the one that refers the students here, and since only a couple of people are to be dining here at most, I am the only employee. Oh, and because this is a girls' academy I am restricted to only this clearing area. It's like the fenced off work camps that construction companies do in the Eastern Europe."

She finally takes a spoon full of dessert. 'Yes, eat the magic water, it's not poison. He. He. He.' 
"Mari: This has an unusual flavour, it's soft and refreshing."
"Meiko: Indeed lady Mari, the food bears no sin."

'Damned gorilla needs a gallon of magic water to be pacified! For crying out loud I am not gonna jump your mistress like a dog in heat!! You monsters can rupture organs in a hit!!! Like I stand any chance!!!!'
"Valentine: Thank you miss Shiraki, it's quite a popular saying. I'd also like to ask you a question, are you two having a holiday today? Do you not have any lesson later?" 'Can you just fucking leave and never come back?'

"Mari: Are you not aware of the academy's curriculum? The actual studying begins next week and the opening ceremony is held tomorrow."
'That's why I didn't see that many people!'
"Valentine: Oh, I am more familiar with the academic year starting in September and ending in June."
We continue small back and forth for another 5 minutes, I make sure to give as little information as possible to not contradict anything else. Finally, when the plates are empty, they prepare to leave.

"Mari: Well then, it was an unexpected meeting for all of us, but I'm glad we were the first to stumble upon this establishment. We will take our leave, thank you for the desserts. We will leave you to your work."
"Valentine: Yes, it was a pleasure to have you here. Back home I would have asked for a handshake, but I believe a bow is more appropriate in Japan."
"Meiko: I don't mind."

'And I stumble right before the finish line, way to go, me!'
I took her extended hand for a handshake and feel my hand becoming a lemon, that is destined to become lemonade. 'Aaarg… Don't break my hand! I use my right one daily!!'
"Valentine: Excellent strength miss Shiraki, you would be a great main course chef, especially tenderizing meat!" 'Or beating people to death with your gorilla strength!'
"I wish you a pleasant day, be safe on your way back!"

Pov Mari.

As we walk through the forest, I'm taken out of my thoughts by Meiko.
"Meiko: That man is weaker than me, if you so require I can easily beat him into submission, and he will be begging for a transfer to another location."

I hesitate. 'No, removing the symptoms of a disease is not enough and I have a feeling this ailment is deep-rooted.'
"Mari: No, Meiko. We lack information and influence for any rash decisions. For the moment we must find out who is supporting this endeavour and if we act it must be as a unified front of all the students."
"Meiko: Ah, how thoughtful of you lady Mari, it is true, that if the whole student body opposes, the academy has to take action in our support."

"Mari: I worry that, in order to keep the appearance of normalcy, the academy is planning to keep that restaurant a secret, and that decision may play right into the other side's hand. Even if that chef is of no threat by himself, the very fact that he was allowed to be here and interact with the students, it can be used to put more pressure, and demand for more next year, and even more the one after."

"Meiko: Like a malignant tumour, slowly growing unnoticed then spreading further out. How horrific!"

"Mari: Like I said we need to combat the source before it spread."

"Caw, Caw"

I turn to the gluttonous child. "You may still fly there and ask for food, I would actually like it, if you kept an eye out in case that chef goes anywhere he's not supposed to." 'I will get to the bottom of this and protect the academy.'

After getting to my room I decide to contact father to confirm my suspicions.

"Beep, beep, beep... kacha"

"Voice: It is a pleasant surprise to receive a call from you so soon ... Daughter."

"Mari: Good day to you father, I was not planning to call you, but I would like to confirm with you something."

"Voice: Of course Mari, what is ... troubling you?"

"Mari: Be honest with me please, are you exerting pressure onto the academy to make changes?"

"Voice: Oh? ... Mari you know that your father is very proud of you, of your brilliance and reliability. You are just like your mother, a strong and independent woman. But a father worries and wishes for you ... all the best."

I feel a calm and cold furry rising from my chest.

"Mari: Please answer the question, father."

"Voice: It's difficult to hide anything from such a brilliant ... daughter. Yes, I am providing generous donations for the academy, in a couple of years I plan to take the Chairman's position and instigate reforms to allow ... male enrolment."

My furry know no bounds, as I resist the urge to smash my phone.

"Mari: Thank you for your honesty father, that will be all."

I hang up the call, not wasting a second longer on that man.

'To allow male enrolment!!! That goes against every tradition of the academy! How dare he?!?! Is he planning to allow Chiyo to be enrolled in the same year as males!?'

"This will not stand, it won't be allowed, this taint will be eradicated! Just hiding the problem in the forest is not enough! It must be brought out to the light in a way that will cement the belief that no male is allowed to enter the academy grounds! That even keeping them in a pen is an inherent danger!"

'If you are using that clueless foreigner, to set a precedent that a man can live and interact with the students without causing any problems, then I will use him to prove the opposite, that all men are garbage and don't belong in here.'

Spoiler

Stefano Artibani

Artwork by Stefano Artibani. Retrieved from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQVRXr

[collapse]

"Valentine: My spidey sense is tingling. Maybe the portal to hell is the safest option?"

13