Chapter 7 Probing.
359 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pov Meiko Shiraki.

I walked into the clearing, marveling at just how well the building blends into the surroundings. 

'If I were not with lady Mari last time, I might have missed it all together.'

I see the man in sportswear, carrying a sack. 'This is highly suspicions. What is he doing?'  

"Mr chef"  

"Valentine: Oh, hello there miss Shiraki."

'He is very surprised to see me here, that much is obvious.'  

"Meiko: What are you doing?"

He looks himself over and started fidgeting.

"Valentine: Kuhum, I was actually doing my daily jogging. As for the sack… 'thup'… I usually take the same path, so I decided to clean up a bit, to avoid any unwelcome accident. Maybe I will put them down as a stone path somewhere?"  

'Running and gathering rocks… I don't know what to make out of this.'

"Meiko: So you are out to exercise?"  

"Valentine: That's the short of it, yes. I honestly am surprised by your arrival. I didn't expect to see anyone so soon. Are you coming alone today?"  

'Heh. A pawn wouldn't know what the master is planning. I will have you serve lady Mari's plan, knowing or not.'

I answered without seeming condescending.

"Meiko: I wished to have some desserts, so I came here. Are you not going to welcome a customer?"

The foreigner blushes and stammers out an apology.

"Valentine: I, yes, please forgive this poor showing. I most certainly will do my utmost to fix my mistakes. Please, allow me to serve you a dessert right this instance."

"Meiko: Very well, I will take a seat at the same table."  

'I move to the rooftop, leaving the chef to scramble for the kitchen. Haa… perhaps I should tell him the student timetable outline, he is obviously lacking knowledge in that regard. Is it better to catch him by surprise, or to observe him in the intended circumstances? I better do both.'

I can hear footsteps coming up the stairs. The man has put on an apron, over his sportswear, and is carrying a tray with desserts.

"Valentine: Apologies for the look, again. I believe it best not to make you wait, miss Shiraki, seeing as you are alone today. If you allow, I will go and change, while the kettle is being boiled. That being said… Would you like some tea today? I can make some fruit juice if you'd prefer?"

'At least he has the decency to put the guest first.'  

"Meiko: I have some spare time, no need to rush. I think some black tea would do nicely."  

"Valentine: As you wish. I will get everything ready in a moment. If you'll excuse me."

'And there he goes scrambling away. Haa…'  

"I do feel a little bit peckish after the walk here. Might indulge in some sweets either way."  

'The last time, we were served some kind of soft fruit jelly.'  

"This seems to be an assorted serving of ice cream and a slice of cake. Admittedly, it is a good combination and some bitter tea will go well afterwards."

I start with the slowly melting dessert, it was likely made with only fresh ingredients.

"Mmm…nnn, this is a sinful dessert, it just melts into me… how delicious."  

'I doubt I have eaten a better ice cream before. Maybe being freshly made, gives it an extra ompf?'

"Valentine: Miss Shiraki, I have brought the tea set. Some milk, if you take yours in the British style."  

'Right, time to gather information.'

"Meiko: Why don't you serve us a cup each? I'm sure you would appreciate some company."  

'He is rather surprised by my offer, but gives a smile nonetheless.'  

"Valentine: It would be my honour, miss Shiraki. Let me grab an extra cup for myself…"  

'He's squirming like a worm…I'll have to get this conversation going myself.'  

"Meiko: Is something the matter chef?"

"Valentine: May I be a little rude with my question?"  

I nod at him.  

"The last time when you and miss Kurihara were here, it seemed like you two stayed mostly out of politeness. I have not expected to see either of you coming here again."  

'Very perceptive. Both of us wish for you to be nonexistent.'

"Meiko: As you yourself have pointed out, this is a strict girls' academy. Finding out that someone is braking apart its foundation, is VERY upsetting."  

"Valentine: Yes, in that case, my apologies would be a shallow thing, not worth a penny."

"Meiko: Let us leave talking about those, who are moving in the shadows, for another time. What about you? Are you getting used to this seclusion? Expecting any visitors soon?"

'The more information I gather, the easier it will be for lady Mari.'

Pov Valentine.

'Why? Why is this happening? What did I do wrong? It's not like I'm the human piece of shit, that was recording in the women's bath, or the one just bathing amongst them! I'm fucking staying in a forest!! Far away from anyone!?!… Just let me figure out my own bullshit in peace!!!!'

I am not ready, nor do I have the spare time, but this has to be dealt with.

"Valentine: I believe, I am doing fine. I am rather found of nature. Besides, I have the free time to spend improving my craft as I see fit. Oh, and I have not received any concrete details about visitors."  

I give my most genuine smile.  

"I will be happy if I get even a couple of guests at all."  

'Or none at all, I want no part in your anime people bullshit. I can start interacting with the world next year, once all you sadists graduate!'

"Meiko: So, you are content to just sit and wait?"  

"Valentine: Why not? I am this restaurants' chef, I cook, serve and as a specific requirement, entertain guests, such as this. I feel fulfilled in my station."  

'How else do I spell it out?! Leave me alone in the forest and we are good!!!'  

"Speaking of which, would you care for more desserts?"  

'My precious!!! Damn gorilla!! I will have to fight monster chickens to get more eggs, damn youuu!!!'

I cry tears of blood in my heart, for my fallen goodness, my last sweets.

"Meiko: I must admit that your dessert are exquisite. I would like some, please."

I end up serving over half of my cake and ice cream. The conversation with Meiko is freaking me out. It was civil, friendly even: do you exercise? any favourite routine? watched any good show lately? Something palls would chitchat about.

It is honestly fucking weird. All my preconceptions are screaming that this is wrong. I am plagued by doubt.

'Is this the same world that I saw? Or maybe a parallel reality? Or something I don't know?'  

"Ugh… my head hurts just thinking about all this shit. Normal people don't contemplate the nature of one's reality."

This problem won't disappear, ("I will come back tomorrow, around the same time for lunch.")  

"Haaaa… This is not the best, but fortunately not the worst. Haaa… This is so weird."

I worry. I worry that those two are on to me, that they are planning on catching me in my lies. I worry that I'm a mouse caught by a playful cat.

"My stock won't last long... I don't even have locks. What if someone comes when I'm in the dungeon or sleeping? They WILL snoop around, find the gate room and shove an iron rod up my asshole."

'I need some safety margin. I can't just live hopping for the best. Let's start with the basics, right, plenty of signs.'

Please call for chef Valentine!

Restaurant Sacred Grove  

Open

Weekdays: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.  

Sat, Sun: 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Closed: a notice will be displayed in advance.

Serving the Daily special and dishes upon request (limited by available stock).

CLOSED, NO TRESPASSING

'STAFF ONLY, monsters may be present to kill and eat you, enter at your own peril.'  

"If only such a thing worked, it would have made my life less stressful."

It is starting to get late. This whole, unannounced visit, got my schedule all messed up. Now I feel uncertain of what to do with the rest of the evening.  

'I still have a few hours of sunlight to train my rock throwing skills. After that, some more gym workout and shovel drills, perhaps?'

The evening passed with little fanfare. My rocks don't do much damage to trees, hopefully I score a head shot and daze the opponent for a while. I decide to brave the chicken monsters tomorrow morning.

---

(SHELTER FROM THE STORM. Frostpunk Rap! by STUPENDIUM)

"Fuaah… ok, light warm-up exercise and a lighter breakfast today, before the battle."

I take my time, slowly stretching my joints and warming my body. I feel calm, despite the fact that I will be facing something that will fight back.  

"I think ducks and chickens were like boss monsters, when I was 5 or 7 year old. Time to bludgeon those fuckers for good!!"

I take a couple of rocks and the sturdiest, thickest clothes in addition to my usual gear and head into the dungeon.  

I avoid confrontation and gathering veg. For my goal this time is MEAT!

I passed my usual route and waited for the loud noise. Keeping on the safe side of things, I listen for a lone chicken the best I can.  

Some time later, I start to move in deeper. 

Around 10 minutes of moving forward, I spy a giant chicken in all its glory.  

'I will have nightmares of this later, I just know it.'

Spoiler

Orleans Chicken Wings by Felix W

Orleans Chicken Wings by Felix W

Retrieved from 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/e0NA63

[collapse]

Standing before me is something that would be at home in Jurassic park. A bit short of 1.2 m in height, a damn stylish mix of a hawk and a chicken, set in a time before men.  

'Those talons look horrifying and wicked… Maybe going vegetarian is safer for my health? I'm too low level to take on a velociraptor!!!'

Fuuu, fuuu, fuuck me…

"Co, CO, COOO cock-a-doodle-doo!!"

'Game mode, go! 20 m, come on, rock to the head. Fuk.z ero shit, 10 m , hit the damn shit…'

As soon the monster starts running towards me, I throw the rocks and miss. The second one hits the body, but does little visible damage. I ready my shovel for a swing.

'I need a damn metal shield for this!'  

I take aim for the head, perhaps I can cleave it in two?  

"Rrraaah" I swing, and completely misjudge its velocity. My swing lands around its wing, staggering it momentarily.

"COco, COO" It recovers qucker then I do, and lashes out, pecking, slashing, going berserker on me.

'Thrust, thrust and thrust again. Keep the distance, fists don't beat sharp talons! Argh!?! Fucking chicken meat, just die already!!'  

I hit its head as much as I am able. The beast is wild, and relentless, and ripping my clothes. I can feel the burning pain in my left arm.  

"Haa!!" I step back and do an overhead slam, hammering my shovel into the beast's head. A loud 'thud' is heard and the monster falls forward. I slam my shovel down again and again, until the chicken is headless.

"Ugh… this shit hurts. Damn chicken, damn weak clothes, damn dungeon, damn new life. Fuuu… It fucking hurts."  

I roll up my sleeve and wipe away the blood.  

'Fucking fish sticks, this would have been worse if I had not worn all of my thickest clothes. Just a scratch. Haa… Just a scratch…haaa..'

I lean against a tree to calm down. It is obvious, I lack proper skills and tools for fighting monsters. There is only so much a shovel to the head will be able to solve.

I look over to the chicken. It has long since turned into loot, waiting to be collected.  

Apparently I get a super sized chicken meat pack. 'Considering the chicken was the size of a small ostrich, I am not surprised.' I also got 5 eggs, with the meat, even though it was not a hen.

"FY dungeon logic."

I check myself over for more injuries, pack my stuff and move back for the gate. On the way back, I work out my misery on weaker slimes and carrot men. I do not bother sneaking up on them. I brutally hack them into pieces.

"Meiko is coming over for late lunch in 4 hours. I wish this day was finally over."

With little choice, or enthusiasm, I move my body to get the work going. Clothes to the wash and repair later. A good long shower for myself, to let my mind go over the fight again. Half an hour later I head to the kitchen, packing away loot and deciding what to cook.

'I'm not in the mood for anything fancy. Marinate some chicken with onions and make them into fried teriyaki. Slap some boiled veg over rice as garnish and call it a day. It's classic, fresh and you can say healthy even.'  

"Yup, teriyaki chicken it is then. I'm over stocked on milk products again…Hmm… Cupcakes. Yes, cupcakes with simple sugar icing. Maybe throw in some bits of fruits and berries into some for variety?"

So far, I lack vanilla or choco to add to the taste. Plenty of my cooking goes the rustic taste by necessity. 

I do all the preparing I can, before tiding up and going for lunch myself. After eating, I feel sated and tired, so I decide to take a nap.

I drift on and off in the shade. I end up feeling much better and refreshed after 2 hours.  

"Just 20 minutes before the reservation, I should get the food going slowly."

I leisurely pass some time in the kitchen until I get called from the front entrance.

"Meiko: Good day chef, I can smell something lovely coming from the kitchen."  

'Ok, we are a normal restaurant, no monsters in the basement, no soul ripping from moving too far, just a chef making meals.'

Spoiler

Lemon Twist! by Jeffrey Ferreira

Lemon Twist! by Jeffrey Ferreira

Retrieved from 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PY84B

[collapse]

12