Chapter 10 Initiative.
402 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV Meiko

It would seem that, we have successfully persuaded Hana to join our cause. I am sure that lady Mari has explained just how dangerous it is to leave that chef unchecked.  

Now that we have one more like-minded ally, we can proceed to expand our influence. I insisted that I should concentrate on the clubs related to physical activity. The one I'm looking forward to is naturally the mixed martial arts club, as it's the largest gathering or talented students to exchange pointers with and improve oneself. A good number of the members also go to the body training club, to exercise during free time, or book the whole gym for group activities.

Hana has told us that she is already a member of the runner's club and an actual black belt, so I'll get to see her sometimes and ask for a sparing match. 'Pushing our limits together will benefit us in growing closer as fellow athletes and hopefully trusted friends.'

As usual, I wake up early to do my daily training and get some quiet time in the gym. Not many people go here on the weekend, especially so early.

"Good morning Seniors." I greet the usual group of girls from the club, as they follow their strict training regime.

"Good morning Meiko" They greet in return.  

"Anna: So Meiko, are you going to increase your load again today? Even if you have the stamina, you know that you can damage your body, right?"  

'Ah, senior Anna is worried again.' "Meiko: Thank you for worrying, senior. It's not like I push myself over the limit constantly, and I make sure to be it top shape. It's just that lately it feels like I have hit a growth spurt, you know? It just feels rewarding to see your improvements."  

"Anna: Haaa… just don't push yourself way too much. You know that no one will be happy if you hurt yourself. But yes, I know how good it feels to see your hard work pay off. Nonetheless, don't motivate the other girls too much, or it will put your favourite senior in a bind."  

I can't help but pout at that. 'It's not like I'm doing it on porpoise, it just so happens that my body feels extra motivated to work out.'  

"And one more thing Meiko, if you grow any bigger, be prepared to make plenty of girls jealous."

"Meiko: That's not fair. It's not like I can control any of this!"  

There I clearly notice her mischievous smile again… 'Well, as long as it's in good humour, I don't mind, and being looked up to does feel nice.'

I do my strength training with the others, chatting about school life in general and what awaits me in later years, what competitions are coming up for the seniors and juniors.

'Winning in competitions would benefit our cause and bring in benefits to the academy.'

"Anna: Now then girls, have we decided where to go for some breakfast today? The last time, if I remember correctly, we went to that popular cake shop."  

"Tai: It was suuuper full of people. We did enjoy the cakes, but it felt uncomfortable to take up the seats for too long."  

"Yumi: How about the sweets shop by the train station, they have a wide variety. We could get some takeout and eat in my room!"  

"Anna: I was thinking less sweets this time. Even if we burn plenty of calories, not everyone's figure gets rounded in just the right areas. Right Meiko!"  

"Meiko: Ouchh, please don't pinch me to illustrate your point."  

"Anna: Oh-ho, not going to deny the facts? Alright then, let us have Meiko decide!"  

""Sure!!""

'Hmm…Lady Mari did say we should put that chef under more work, and I'm confident that these seniors can be trusted. Probably any one of them can beat that weakling into submission. At the very least none of them would become antagonistic towards us if I tell them, and we may get more helpers. I will work hard for lady Mari!'

I look around, making sure there's only the four of us here and address the group in a serious manner.  

"Meiko: Before I advise a place, I'd like to ask you for a promise. That you will support me and my friends in our endeavour to make the academy better." I bow my head, with my earnest plea, wishing to bring all the students into a unified fold in defence of our traditions.

The three exchange glances.

"Anna: Ooya, someone is using this opportunity to secure a few votes for the upcoming election. Ha, ha, ha. You know none of us have the time to actually participate in those activities, probably no one is even running from our year."

"Tai: Yeah, as far as I heard, most will either vote for friends or anyone standing out."

"Yumi: That means we will have to vote for Meiko either way!"  

"Anna: I see no problem with that either. Unless the place Meiko recommends is awful, then she will have to make it up to us, if she wants our support."  

""Agreed!!""  

'I didn't exactly mean it that way, but it's pretty much the same anyway.'

"Meiko: Thank you Seniors. Actually, it is a new place, that has been secretly hidden away on the territory. I believe it may be announced soon, but at the moment only a few people even know of its existence."  

""There is???""  

"Meiko: Indeed, it is only 15 minutes away, in a clearing. We can do some running exercises there afterwards. They also have lovely cupcakes that you can grab to go."

'They don't seem awfully convinced. Can't blame them exactly, without a clear path it's a miracle lady Mari found it in the first place.'  

"Anna: What would you know, us seniors are falling behind. Ok, first we will hit the showers, then follow after Meiko!"

We wash off our sweat and step out into the early noon sun. 'The rooftop will be a great place to relax today. Ah, if only it was a female chef employed, it would be so much simpler.'

We have a leisurely walk through the forest and walk into the clearing.  

""Wow!!! There really is something here!!!"  

"Anna: How curious, it is definitely well kept here and I see a trail going around the edge."  

"Meiko: The chef is jogging as a hobby, please do not be too surprised when we get there."  

"Tai: Is it a wicked witch living here!?"  

"Yumi: Of course not. Most likely only ghosts gather here! I mean it's like an old shrine or something, where ghosts gather to hangout and then move on!"  

"Anna: You both are wrong. It's obviously a secret hideaway for lovers separated by their families! Braving the danger they meet up here under starlight and separate at dawn!"  

"Tai: Maybe the witch was the young maiden who lost her love and now is living here?!"  

"Yumi: Or like Romeo and Juliet, they took their lives and now they stay together as ghosts!?!"

'I think they are getting a little carried away.'

"Valentine: WELCOME!!! TO THE RESTAURANT SACRED GARDEN!!!"

POV Valentine

Friday was too stressful for me. All the main villains?? have come, and I was not prepared for that encounter. Not at all.

There is definitely something wrong with either my memory of the anime or there was more that I don't know. I didn't read the Novel and barely remember the manga. Ugh, just thinking of all the unknowns gives me a headache. And now. Now!  

'There is a gaggle of girls screaming nonsense about my HQ. Just WTF is going on?! Am I fucking cursed or what? I'm going to have grey hair soon! Stop with all that bullshit talk already! I can hear you clearly!'

I grit my teeth and shout from the rooftop.  

"Valentine: WELCOME!!! TO THE RESTAURANT SACRED GARDEN!!!  Please come in, I will be right with you!"

'Gods damn it all! I want some fucking peace and quiet, but NO! I get THAT disaster incoming. Fuu… Fuuu…. Fuuuuu… I am king. KING! King of bullshitting! I can do this. Come on, King mode!'  

I walk down slowly, calming down and preparing for the unfortunate encounter. 

'I bet it's the man hater's doing. Sending her minions to harass me, they will probably ''accidentally'' break plates, or accuse me of harassment, or just beat me up if they are muscle brains. Ugh.., what did I do wrong in her eyes to deserve this? NO! I kill fucking chicken-raptors for breakfast! I can handle some young girls! King facade is staying on from now on, if they want to play dirty!'

Spoiler

King by Jay Jangid

King by Jay Jangid  

Retrieved from  

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Vgxm04

[collapse]

POV Meiko

'It appears that the chef was relaxing as usual. Huh, time for him to do some work.'

"Anna: Whoops, looks like we were heard."  

"Yumi: It sounded like an angry man?"  

"Tai: I thought the only male staff was that bold guy, with the apron, you know, the one transporting the laundry every week."  

"Anna: Yeah, that's the only one I saw thus far. You think he's angry at us, Meiko?"

"Meiko: I don't think anyone would like their workplace described as such, but it's ok if we laugh it off a bit."  

'This could be valuable info for lady Mari, on how he behaves under pressure. It was a good decision to bring them along.'  

"I recommend for us to relax on the open roof, the weather is lovely to catch some sun."  

""Sure, sure.""  

As we walk through the entrance, I can see the chef coming down the stairs. 'Oh, that is an impressive stone face. I wonder if he could break bricks with it?'  

The three girls have started fidgeting slightly upon seeing that face.  

"Valentine: Good morning ladies, miss Shiraki. I am chef Valentine. Welcome. Would you like to take the usual seat today?"

'Even his greeting is flat and dry!'  

The seniors apologize and bow in unison. """Sorry for the comments outside!"""  

"Valentine: Haa… Sure, and I get the part about it being a secret hideout. There's not really any clear path and I'm basically in the midst of this little fenced off forest. So, no hard feelings since you didn't mean it."

"Meiko: Your Japanese has gotten remarkably well in a short period of time."  

The chef smiles and nods to me.  

"Valentine: I do have plenty of free time with only three customers coming in sometimes, but I'm guessing I'll be getting more, soon enough."  

'Oh? That is quite the strained smile there. How lazy can he be? Being paid for just relaxing all day long, he should be ashamed!'  

"How about we leave the pleasantries for later and let me ask you your orders? There's not much of a menu at the moment as I lack a steady stream of customers. Just tell me what you would like to have and I will see what I can do for you. Ok?"  

"Tai: Hai, hai. I'm Tai, nice to meet you! I'd like some pancakes with jam and whipped cream please!"  

"Anna: Hello, I'm Anna. Could I get some veggie sandwiches and fruits? I'll share some pancakes with Tai."  

"Tai: Then you'll share a slice with me too."  

"Yumi: Nice to meet you, I'm Yumi. Could I trouble you for some Japanese breakfast?"  

"Meiko: I'll have the same as Yumi and some dessert you have prepared, if it's no trouble."

"Valentine: Hmm… Ok, ok… miss Yumi are you good with a chicken set? I only have frozen fish at the moment, I'm afraid that to properly make it, will require me to delay your portion for far too long. Same with you miss Shiraki."  

Yumi and I nod in assent and look on as he swiftly moves for the kitchen.

"Meiko: Shall we take a seat upstairs while we wait for the food? I'll give him a hand and bring us some tea."

"Anna: Ooya, miss Shiraki is already sharing a kitchen with a man, how scandalous!"  

"Yumi: `Giggle` Oh my! She is making herself at home! Perhaps one of us was right that this is a secret lovers' hideout!"  

"Tai: Goodness! Is Meiko showing off in front of her seniors?!"

'Those vixens! How could they insinuate such things! I am devoted to lady Mari and nothing changes that!'  

"Meiko: Stop that! I have no interest is any men! I was just being considerate in treating my seniors!"  

"""We know! `Giggle`"""  

"Anna: Now, now, ladies, quiet down. I know there is a young, good-looking foreigner serving us, but he looked like he would break if we go at him all at once."  

"Tai: Yeah, didn't look very muscular to me. Average at best?"  

"Yumi: He must be more familiar with kitchen knives then gym equipment. Though, having your man taking care of the household would be convenient if you're not hiring a permanent housemaid."

"Meiko: Ugh, just go upstairs and make yourselves comfortable, I'll bring the drinks in a minute."  

'They are taking it a bit too nonchalantly. Is it a tradition to tease your underclassmen? I know lady Mari was always looked up to, but newer teased others as such. Haa…they are very free spirited.'  

I can't help complaining to myself. I move behind the counter, to the sound of cooking, and call out.

"Meiko: I'll help to bring up the drinks if you don't mind!"

"Valentine: Yes, give the kettle a few minutes, you know where the cups are. I have stocked up the fridge upstairs with fruit juices, you can help yourselves if anyone wants cold drinks. All natural of course, just fruits, berries and sugared water. I know athletes can be stricter with what they eat. I'll start by bringing up a serving of finger sandwiches for you ladies as a starter, before serving the main course."

"Meiko: Much appreciated, we just finished working out, so I'm sure it will be welcomed."

The chef replied with a grunt, moving around the kitchen. I place a tea set on a tray and move to bring it to our table, coming back to a boiling kettle and a serving plate full of little cuts of sandwiches and some apple slices.

'It is nice to sit upstairs under sunlight, plus you get to exercise while going up and down.' I muse leisurely , carrying a plate of appetizers to the seniors.

"Meiko: I've got appetizers and a boiling kettle with me. There is cold, freshly made juice in the fridge, if anyone wants. The chef will start bringing in our orders as they get done."

'I don't like the smirks on their faces.'

"Anna: `Smile`, I'd like some cold juice for now. What would you recommend?"

'And just how should I know what's there to choose from? It's not like I work here!' I smile back.

"Meiko: How about the juice of the day? Or we could have a look together and choose after trying a bit of everything?"

"Yumi: I thought you might know all the ins and outs here by now."

"Tai: I'd like to take a look at the cold drinks too!"

"Meiko: Then let's set the teapot aside until the main course and choose cold drinks to go with the appetizers."

We walk up to the drinks bar and I take out 3 jugs of juice and glasses to taste test them.

"Meiko: One is obviously apple juice, the other ones may be apple and berries mixed?"

"Yumi: This one smells like fresh blueberries, I'll have that. `Sip...mmm` Soo good, I love freshly squeezed ones. Full glass please!

"Tai: I'll have this mixed one please!"

"Anna: I think I'll have the same as Yumi and just snack on some apples later."

"Meiko: I guess I'll have the apple one today."

'I know our canteen is high class, but there's just something special about food being homemade. Haa... making it for all the students would be unrealistic.'

We slip into a relaxing mood and chat in-between bites. Soon the chef appears, setting two full trays down on the table. One with pancakes, an assortment of jams and whipped cream. The other with sandwiches, different toppings and sauces. He leaves promptly to finish the breakfast sets.

"Anna: So, Meiko, you want to spill the beans about this lovely chef of yours? You know we can keep a secret, `Smile` , even the special ones."

'Oh, Gods above, maybe I'm in over my head. Lady Mari newer behaved like this! Maybe I should have asked for advice first.'

15