Chapter 14 Working and chilling.
388 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shadow Shadow by Azari.  

POV Mari

Our plans have been progressing well, in large part thanks to Meiko's efforts. 'The girl has a gift to attract people with her honest attitude, if only she opens up a bit more. It is good to see her getting along with the seniors.'

I believe, that with Hana's addition, we now have a quarter of the sports club members firmly in our camp. The same can be said for the arts clubs. Unfortunately I can't say, that I have built any strong connections with anyone there. 'Sure, most girls are friendly and pleasant to be around, but it feels like there is a gap between us. It could be my reputation at play, haaa… It's not that I'm a cold person per se, it just happens that I find it difficult to open up to new people, and I prefer the company of my little crows. Yes, it may be wiser to let Meiko be the warm and friendly face of our group. I have no problem dealing with the undesirable elements.'

Putting my quirky attitude aside, I am amazed how quickly, the six of us are coming together as a big group. It's a bit over 2 hours after lunch, and we are heading for the restaurant with Anna's group.  

"Anna: It is nice of you to join us today, Lady Mari."  

'There is the impish smile, again.' "Mari: As I said before, senior Anna, please call me Mari. You wouldn't want to turn me into the only person being addressed so formally."  

"Meiko: Not at all, Lady Mari! It is only right to address you with an appropriate honorific."  

'I can't help but give Anna a glare, especially after seeing that smirk. Poor Meiko, she is too honest to be on equal footing with these seniors. At least they are helping us out, so I don't mind a little teasing.'

"Anna: Indeed, for someone of renown, proper courtesy is a must. Unless they are proven to be unworthy, that is."  

'Hmm? Is there something going on, I wonder?'  

"Mari: I strive to be true to myself whenever I can, and not to rest on empty praise. As Meiko may attest, we work hard to achieve our goals."  

"Anna: On that we can be sure. Zeal is plain to see in your group. I actually have a piece of good news for you all, but let us have that conversation after sitting down."  

'Oh? I have not heard about anything major happening soon. Interesting.'

It is nice to walk outside, though I have to complain about the lack of a proper road, or a paved trail of some sort. 'If the rainy season starts in full force, we will have to wear rubber boots to walk around here. We only had a small drizzle, so the ground isn't soaking wet. Better to get waterproof footwear for all of us. Should I order some, or invite Meiko and Hana to go out the next weekend? Hana did mention asking advice about those things. It can be a bonding opportunity for our group.'  

The closer we get, the more noticeable becomes the smell of a bakery. Even I am not hypocrite enough to complain about the chef's skills.  

'If he were an older, more experienced chef, I could recommend some well off establishments to scout him with good offers. It would be harder for them, to give a high position to a young foreigner, he would have to start, at best, in the middle circles. A sizeable downgrade from being in charge of everything.'

"Yumi: Mmmm, I can smell something very good! Let's go, go, go!"  

"Tai: Hey, hey, can't leave me behind! I want some fresh pastry too!"  

"Anna: Careful, girls! It is a bit slippery today. Besides, show some manners before our underclassmen."  

I also smile at the four girls who are speeding up, drawn in by the pleasant smell. 'Aahhh, make that four girls and a couple of crows, haaa. Is the feed I put out not enough for them? No, they must know how to hunt and gather for themselves, to survive in any environment.'  

"Mari: Should we speed up and follow them?"  

"Anna: I think we will be fine as we are. I don't fancy taking a plunge to the ground, so I'll be careful."  

"Mari: Very well. Let the eager ones decide on the order first."  

Unhurriedly, we walk into the restaurant, finding a shoe rack with slippers to change into. I can hear the girls chatter by the counter, so we waste no time and join the rest.  

"Valentine: I see everyone has found the slippers. I actually had to go digging through my stuff this morning. My shoes were soaking wet and dirty after jogging, and just imagining the cleaning I'll have to do sent me scrambling around."  

"Tai: Chef Valentine made crisps! Can we have some!? Please!!!"  

"Anna: Hm, hm, hm. We are cutting down on the sweets, as you remember. A piece every other day. I think that should extend to deep-fried food. A small portion. No more."  

'I'm a bit relieved that Meiko can eat without concern and burn up the calories so fast. It makes me less worried about her.'  

"Valentine: You have my word that I've done my best to remove the unnecessary oils. It turned out rather well, if I do say so myself. I've gotten some very good potatoes, so I had to try my hand at it. My only regret is that it's highly time consuming. Chips are easier to make in comparison. Well, anyway. Kuhum, will you be taking a seat downstairs today? It's a bit moist up on the rooftop."  

We readily agreed to sit downstairs and started making our orders. 'What should I get?'  

"Yumi: Can I get some veggie sandwiches and a portion of crisps please?"  

"Tai: Can I go for some pancakes and crisps, and a pastry later?"  

"Valentine: Would you like to try some cottage cheese pancakes instead? They are less sweet and more filling. I believe they are quite popular as a healthy dessert in the Eastern Europe. I have made the cottage cheese yesterday, so it's very fresh."  

"Anna: Should we try some together, Tai? Ok, same order for me."  

"Mari: I'll have some fresh pastry with tea for now, please."  

"Hana: Can I ask for half portion of those quark pancakes and then same as Mari?"  

"Meiko: I feel a little bit of a craving for some crispy potato chips, and I'd like to try some of the pancakes with a serving of crisps too."  

"Valentine: Understood. I will set the kettle and bring out the crisps first. Miss Shiraki, I would like to make a fresh portion of chips, as they taste the best while hot after being just cooked, will it be fine serving them last?"  

"Meiko: Oh, no trouble at all, we aren't in a hurry."  

"Valentine: I shall begin at once. Please excuse me."  

With that the chef disappears inside the kitchen. After freshening up, we sit around a long table, comfortably fitting together. Meiko and Yumi helped to set the table and bring out the drinks for us.  

'It does become a bother to receive large groups with only one staff. The academy has yet to publicly acknowledge the existence of this restaurant, there will likely be no more staff added until then.'  

After another trip behind the counter, the girls come back with plates of homemade crisps. I am not a fan of junk food, but it does smell nice.  

"Mari: Meiko, may I try a slice of those?"  

"Meiko: Lady Mari, please have some. It's quite a simple taste, but it's good. Have a try too Hana."  

We each take a bite. I barely taste any oil, the crisps are seasoned with simple salt. 'Should I call this taste rustic? All the store bought snacks have too much flavourings added nowadays. This is better, in my opinion.'  

"Anna: It is as promised, barely any oil left. It's not fair the food here is so good, we can't afford to indulge too much, or risk getting out of shape."  

"Mmm,~crunch, crunch~, hmmn?"

"Anna: No, we will have more another day."  

Soon the chef brings each of us a plate and a tray with sauces.  

"Valentine: I personally like to have some sour cream with the pancakes, but jam can do fine too. Please choose what suits your palate. I will bring out the rest of the servings in 5 minutes. Please let me know if you need anything else. Ah, right, lady Kurihara, today's fresh pastry is a vatrushka. Very similar to the pancakes, actually, but the cream softer and baked with the dough."  

Without further ado the chef leaves again. 'I see he only served half portions of the pancakes to everyone first.' We try the food and I can hear the slightest moaning around me.  

"Yumi: Thanks for sharing, Tai. It's definitely delicious. I can taste the cottage cheese. It's an unusual dessert."  

"Tai: Yeah, no problem. It is quite heavy for a dessert, probably so that we don't eat too much. I like it with a touch sweet berry jam."  

"Anna: I think the sour cream is nicer, a bit of natural sweetness is enough for me."  

"Meiko: How is the pastry, Lady Mari?"  

"Mari: As you would expect from a pastry, it is sweet and the cream is much smoother than the pancake. It is nice with bitter tea."  

From the corner of my eye, I can see the chef heading upstairs with a bowl of some mixture of fruit and vegetables cuts. 'Tch, it would be easier to dispose of you, if you were a piece of trash, acting like most men do.'  

"Mari: Senior Anna, can you tell us the news you mentioned earlier?"  

"Anna: Yes, indeed. Our club, together with the martial arts club, will hold exhibition matches between nominated freshmen students and the older members. There had been a number of strong arrivals this year, and we are eager to put them to the test. If any of you are interested in putting yourself out there, you are free to participate. To demonstrate your skill and strength of character to the student body."  

"Mari: I have not heard of such an event happening last year."  

'All the seniors are giving me an impish smile, they must have done something.'  

"Tai: To be fair, we didn't get such strong people last year. So, we may have talked to people, and they talked to other people."  

"Anna: It is not every year we get a dozen noticeable characters."  

"Yumi: We may have gotten on someone's nerves with our bragging about the talents we managed to get into our club. So, it is possible the other clubs just wish to show off."  

"Anna: More like, prove that we got the best of the best in our club!"  

"Yumi: Just like that, it gets the other clubs all hot and bothered."  

'I see how that could have played out, considering that the body training club boasts the largest number of members, it is a mixed bag of dedicated people and occasionally visiting members.'  

"Meiko: Please let me show our strength to the whole academy! I definitely can do it!"  

I can't say no to those sparkling eyes. "Mari: If the invitation is extended to all of us, I don't mind participating together with Meiko."  

'Can't waste the opportunity we are given by their hard work, and good intentions.'  

"Hana: If it's martial arts, I can stand at the top with the two of them. I'll gladly take part."  

"Anna: Splendid! As for the details: it will be a semi official event, held during the next Friday. It will mostly involve the clubs, but unrelated spectators won't be turned down. You can say it's a chance for the ASC and USC to showcase their own talent and influence to the new students. Maybe appeal to potential successors?"  

We chatted more, about the goings-on around the academy, upcoming sports events, inner workings of the relationship between the student councils and the staff. From time to time, the chef would appear to refill our drinks, bring out the rest of the pancake servings, take orders.  

'Meiko is really enjoying the chips, I'll try a bite. Hmmm, they are crispy indeed, and a touch of oil is left in them. I don't really remember eating chips before, but the taste is quite good to have on occasions.'

"Yumi: Uuuuu, now I want to try the chips too, can we share a portion between us three?"  

"Anna: Well, if we share… Excuse me chef Valentine, did you by chance make more than Meiko's portion?"

"Valentine: Indeed, I will bring out a serving to share. One moment please."

I believe we had a nice time with the seniors. If I pretend we are in the city, it makes my worries nonexistent. 'In time, we will deal with my troublesome father, and have years to enjoy our student life. If the chef behaves, I won't mind lending a helping hand, though he might be sent back home, if things turn ugly.'

POV Valentine

Today, I have not gone to the dungeon in the morning. I have devoted myself to the kitchen, turning my stock of milk products into sour cream and cottage cheese. I first thought it would take more time, but the dungeon ingredients behave differently from the normal ones.  

'That should have been obvious. I mean, I kill monsters for these! There must be differences! I know the taste is better… and it's easier to cook? How do I check nutrition values or chemical composition here?'  

"Eh, fuck that. It's good food, grown or farmed from monster drops, either way it's good tasting food, period. I don't have the mental health to think further into it."  

The day passed slowly, I exercised in the gym, cooked, went for a bit of jogging during a free moment and back to cooking after a shower. I want to try making a cheesecake today, it would have been easier if I had the ready made ingredients. 'I have to make every from scratch. Chocolate cookies would have been better, or actual vanilla sticks for the cream.'  

Late afternoon the usual two groups came together, so I had to rush preparing multiple things at once. I cheated a bit, by serving half portion twice, distributing my workload more evenly. After they left I got down to cleaning, both the kitchen and the guest area needed some work. Following that I had my own early dinner, rested, and made two cheese cakes. One baked, one cold. I hope at least one turns out ok.  

Late in the evening, after a long soak in the hot springs, I find myself looking at the stars again, while listening to music.  

'No dungeon today, a simple, boring day of normalcy. Except for feeding the crows, normally I've never done that. Is this my new norm? Feeding crows every morning? Eh, could be worse.'  

I have a bowl of crisps with me and I spend enough time out here to get cold.  

I end my day by relaxing in hot water and not thinking about anything much.  

'This is my chillout day. Let tomorrow's problems be handled by the tomorrow's me.'

15