Chapter 15 Falling flat on my face.
422 8 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The week has been progressing well. I've taken it easy, slowly exploring the second floor step by step.  

I have made a number of discoveries during that time. One of the most important ones, I believe, is the mana value of the weak tomato monsters. Each one of them can charge the mana battery by 5-6 Mp, and it speeds up the process of clearing the monsters, preventing their fusion.  

It is much easier to hunt 2 of them, compared to 1 chicken-raptor. My hands ache much less and I endeavour to fill up the battery daily. I have taken on a couple of potato golems, trying to go for the weak points. It is still a nerve wrecking fight of hit and run. I find it safer to limit the monster's reach first, then go for the legs. Even being slow, it has the likely potential to crush me into pulp with a well placed hit.  

Today I have walked around the base of the mountain for quite a distance, up to the point that I start feeling a slight pressure on my chest. I first thought it's just tiredness, although gradual, it increased as I got further around the mountain and lessened as I went back.  

According to the map, I started experiencing pain at around the 3 km mark. I am not clear on the workings of my curse inside the dungeon, how is the distance from the HQ calculated? Is using the portal somehow accounted for? Is the gate on this side the focal point, and I can only travel 3 km from there? How about depth? How does this non euclidean geometry inside here work? I am sure that there is some magical mumbo jumbo going on here.  

'I estimate that there is a good 1-1.5 km to the wall. I probably can walk there, maybe, but the pain is probably not worth it. Especially if I have to fight, I might make mistakes and suffer greatly for nothing.'  

Having walked around as much as I consider safe, I started going up the mountain. Encountering the tomato monsters is not a problem, if I kill them safely, without the fusion starting. 'How the fuck do I fight, while going up an incline? The footing is this shitty loose soil. Shouldn't mountains have plenty of rocky and hard packed soil?'  

I can see a good 2 cm deep footprints left behind. I feel my desire to fight slowly extinguish, as I exert myself to walk steadily. I walk up to the height of around 70 m give or take due to the terrain rising and falling, and start walking sideways.

I've decided to explore the mountain in circles, or semi circles. That way I can have a fallback to familiar territory and even ground.  

I sweat much more, emptying my water supply faster, and hating this experience even more. I come across a plateau,  occupied by tomato monsters. After dispatching them l look around, and find an unusual puddle. On closer inspection it turns out to be fish sauce! I filled the empty bottle with it, making a mess in the process. 'I should start bringing some cups and plastic bags with me, so I can gather things without smearing fish sauce everywhere. Hell, I'll have to wash the backpack!'  

The next one has a small molehill on the side. 'Haa fucking potato shit. I'm beat already from all the walking! Dragging the fucking gear and drops around! Ugh, haa, should I?'  

I stay a good distance and rest sitting down. Checking the map, I happen to be pretty close to the exit. 'Ok, I'll recharge and dispose of this bag of chips in 5 minutes. After that I'll go further for 200 m, there should be a trail down there. Get back and rest till evening, maybe hunt for tomatoes to charge the battery before going to bed? Eh, if I feel like it later.'

Fucking mountain needs better landscaping! It's too far down for me to fall, if I wanted a shortcut. "Do I have mountaineering gear? Or sturdy enough rope to climb down?"...  

"Haa… Time to tango potato boy! So wake up already!"  

Moving in close I feel the familiar rumbling and move back a bit, waiting for the monster to come forward, away from the obstructions and the hole it was in.  

As I look at the falling off dirt, I notice the white colour of the rising creature. The figure is distinctly different from what I have expected, towering much more then I'm used to.

Spoiler

Omuraisu Kaiju - The attack of the Japanese omelet! by Kévin TEMBOURET

Omuraisu Kaiju - The attack of the Japanese omelet! by Kévin TEMBOURET  

Retrieved from  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g2ONEx

[collapse]

"Shit!Shit!Shiiit! Fucking fuckfuck!"  

As soon as I see that things aren't going as I expected, I sprint to grab my shield, that I left with all the extra gear nearby.  

`~Splash-smash~`  

"~Ggggddh aaaagggh~utghh, Uuuuu ta ffukk F?!??"  

After half a dozen steps I find myself face planted into the dirt, and a distinct feeling of pain coming from my back, in addition to the face.  

I spend a couple of seconds not understanding WTF is going on, the trembling coming from the ground reminds me of the important shit to worry about.  

I lift my aching face and look for my stuff, just 10 m ahead. I reaffirmed my grip on the axe, thankful it dug into the ground and not me. I wiggle and lift my ass, checking that my legs work ok, and sprint low, scrambling the last half a meter.

I hear a `~thud` behind me, hastening me to equip my shield. Fortunately the handle is simple and I lift the shield, turning around. "Flying fuck. Hugh, fuu, haa, fuu… ."  

I face the monster, that is 10 m behind me, closing in faster than a potato golem. The pain in my back and the smear of white stuff on the ground dissuade me from turning around and running away. Not to mention the fucking terrain! I see the thing raise its arm in a throwing motion. Getting my bearings back in order, I run sideways towards it, making sidesteps, and it misses.  

'It's a fucking clump of RICE!' "YOU fucktart!!! Aaarrr!" I am mad! I charge ahead, swinging my axe, and holding the shield firmly, ready to take a hit.  

My axe sinks into the rice monster's hand, looping off pieces as I pull it back. I employ the same strategy I've used against the golem, sticking to one side, out of reach of the other hand, while I hack into this one. I constantly try to move behind it, or bring down my axe on the extended arm when it strikes downward.  

`Splat` I take another grazing hit on the shield. 'Tch, this thing swipes faster than the golem, or I slowed down due to the fall.'  

`Splat ~Crash` "FY!Fuuhck"  

I don't react fast enough after swinging my axe, as the fucking face full of lizard head crashes down on me. I take the blunt of the attack with the shield, but the impact is heavily felt on my arm, and head that came to support the wooden shield. Smacking myself in the face with hard wood leaves my head a bit spinning and ears ringing.  

I speed to the side, wobbling a bit. I forgo attack, keeping myself to its side as much as possible.  

'Fuck!Fickety fluck. Ugh my head.'  

Half a minute later, I feel more steady on my feet. I also feel hot, nervous, there is constant ringing in my ears, my heart is pounding like a crazed drummer or drugs. I'm covered with sweat and dirt, my hands are shaking, but I chop down, although haphazardly.  

After taking a pounding, I attack less, keeping on the defensive. Still, pieces of the monster fall to the ground. "Haa, haa, fuuu, finally, bitch, you're mine."  

At last, most of its left hand falls in pieces to the ground. Now I must look out more for the head snapping at me. It hit like a stack of bricks!  

With glee, I strike at the chest area, firmly sticking to the armless side. With most of my attention on the head, I see the next hit coming down and deflect it to the side, bringing my axe down as a parting gift when it starts lifting the head back up. I go at it for another two dozen haphazard, hard hits all around, not having the peace of mind to actually aim my swings.

`~Crack~ Crash!~`  

As I get half way into its torso with my axe, I feel the vibrations of hitting something solid. The already barely moving monster, finally comes crashing down. "HaaaAAA!HAA, ha!!?!"  

I hit it in the head, again , and again."Haa, hoo, fuuuu. Fuxk, fucks, hell… ."  

I am on my ass, high on adrenaline, of that I am sure. I sit, panting hard, as the 2.5 m high mini Godzilla starts to turn into fucking loot!  

"I name you rice-lizard, you fuck!" I can feel my strength leaving me with every moment. 'No, I need to go, can't stay in this condition here... Why are there more different monster types here already? I barely moved into the mountains, not even a 15% up . Ugh, doesn't matter, I need to go before I feel like an ice cream left in the sun.'  

I exert my will, forcing my body to get up. "You are coming with me." I give the loot a death glare and pick it up, adding it into my backpack. I double check the position of the exit and look for the closest viable route down. I walk, or more likely shamble forward, for a moment I contemplate leaving the shield behind, but now I'm scared to encounter a new monster during my weakened state. I progress cautiously, checking for any buried monsters. I keep extra distance between me and the known locations of the potato golems.

Barely paying attention to the tomato mobs, I either pass them unmolested, or delivering one hit before moving on.

The slain monsters on the first floor have not respawned yet, so I move unimpeded towards the gate.  

Like a kicked house dog, I whimper, I moan in pain as I move my body to remove my gear, the bloodied jacket and boots. I don't have the energy for anything more, dropping everything on the floor. I drag myself into the shower, turn on summer-cold water and collapse on the cold tiles.  

Everything aches, stings and aches. I feel my body shaking, so I reach out to make the water warmer. I just stay curled up in the shower.  

I wish to say that I took a beating like a man, or, so I want to believe. Now though, now I am crying in pain, laying under a warm shower.  

I gently check my arms. I don't think I took enough of an impact to damage bones too much, but my left arm hurts. Even though I softened the handle, it wasn't enough to mitigate so much force. My legs are the most well off, simply tired from all the movements.  

My back is hurting. Having been smacked by a sack of rice, or a blob of rice thrown by the rice-lizard at me. The face is the most hurting, and the most bleeding.  

"Uuugh, fuckitty fuck. Shitty rice-lizard."  

'Atch! It hurts to touch everything. Is my nose broken? Fucking shit…'  

I feel like shit, as if my body is swaying on waves and my head is pounding, hard. `~Fhuuaaa~` I retch a bit. Throwing up some bile. I cradle my head, hoping the floor will stop moving.

I close my eyes, empty my mind, focus on the running water over my skin and wait for the worst to pass. 'I thought I was thickheaded enough to negate any head damage.'  

I weaken, as the brain long finished releasing adrenaline. I don't feel the hot blood pumping in me. Just a beating in my head and exhaustion... .  

I reason that I have blacked out at some point, as the next thing that I notice is that my body is moved by someone and I hear garbled voices. My head is heavy and lagging, as I try making out what's going on around me. I'm in a fog of half wakefulness and half sleep.  

"Voice:ARE YOU OK?! CAN YOU HEAR ME?"  

'Ugh, ach, fucking shit. Ooo… oo.. o.'  

"Valentine: Hello. May I take your order?"

POV Anna

After accepting our invitation to participate in the matches next week, our juniors are putting in some overtime work. 'I am confident that Meiko has the willpower to stand among the top. Less skill, but more willpower to make up for it.'  

On the other hand we will be dragged through the parents meet and greet tomorrow. 'Stupid formalities. A Saturday lost for no good reason, but to the pandering of a bunch of older ladies. Not like many men are brave enough to willingly put themselves amidst that chaos.'  

So instead, I'm thinking to introduce chef Valentine to my mother in secret. Building an early connection mayhaps benefit both parties involved.

'Impressing my mom with his skills and giving him a favourable impression of us. So that maybe, after next year…who knows, he may want to work for me. `He, he, he. Personal chef or family chef? Hmm…'  

Because of that affair we couldn't accept Mari's invitation to go out shopping. We do have some training, waterproof footwear, but it wouldn't hurt to spend some quality time with them. Unfortunately we must deal with our parents tomorrow.  

We make it to the clearing and notice the absence of the usual fresh smell of pastry.  

"Tai: Awww, no freshly baked pastry today. Not even cookies, I think."  

"Yumi: Mmmm cheesecake."  

"Anna: You do know that we are allowed to order healthy food, right? Not just sweets. I personally enjoy the fruits and sandwiches too."  

"Tai: Yeah, a couple of those cottage cheese pancakes with berries is both nice and healthy."  

"Yumi: Well, to be fair, even though we had a bit more sweets during this week, I have to say that our workout is steadily improving. I even got a bit more muscle! Maybe!"  

'It's true that we are making steady progress, and I checked my weight daily, and it barely changed. I actually lost 200 g! Maybe!'  

"Tai: I do feel that the weights are a bit easier to handle lately."  

"Anna: Well, fine, fine, one slice each, but do keep an eye on yourselves."  

'It is unusual that there is no smell leaking out here. Is it truly a salads only day? Not that I mind.'  

We walk into the restaurant announcing our arrival, but are greeted by silence.  

"Anna: How odd, is he in the washroom?"  

"Yumi: I don't smell any food being made. I'll have a look in the kitchen."  

We nod, and I check the sign by the door for any notice that the restaurant is closed, or on break. 'No new notes anywhere, was he suddenly called out and forgot to lock the doors?'  

"Yumi: The kitchen is completely cold. I doubt anyone used it today. What do you think?"  

We called out a few times, checking the rooftop and found nothing amiss.  

"Anna: First let's walk a circle around the clearing, just to be sure he isn't out running, or sleeping by a tree outside."  

'Or sitting with a twisted ankle or something.'  

We looked around and called out a few times, still in good humour. Nothing is off outside, so we returned.  

"Anna: It may be breaching privacy, but I'll have to take a look downstairs. Perhaps he needed to leave and forgot to lock the door, I'll just take a peek to make sure he isn't here."  

The girls agreed and I went downstairs. |STAFF ONLY| 'If it's locked, then he may be out for some business.' The door is unlocked and I proceed.  

'Hm? Now that is odd. |Gym, showers, hot springs|. Why build all this underground? There's plenty of space outside.'  

I can hear running water from the shower room. I can't help but feel a bit of heat on my face. 'Well now! Having a break during work hours?' Looking around again, I notice smudges on the floor and some drops of red alongside them, leading from the door to the stairs. I crouch and check.  

'That is blood, mostly dry blood. Why?' Unnerved, I go back upstairs. "Anna: Girls, I'm not sure what happened, but there is a trail of dry blood drops leading to a shower room, that is being used. I'm going to check, but be on alert."  

The both of them look nervous, I wish we could have called help first, but it may be an emergency, so I go down again. Knocking on the door and calling out didn't work.  

'Don't you dare scare me!' I look into the small shower room and see the working shower, and laying under, the collapsed form of the chef!  

"Anna: Yumi! Tai! Get down here! Now!" I hurry up to the soaking wet chef and turn off the water. I refrain from moving him much, in case he has some serious injury. Carefully, i take his hand away from the face. "Ah! What in the world happened here! How did you get those injuries!"  

"Yumi: Anna!? What's wrong?" The girls arrive shortly, panicked. Seeing the prone figure does not help to calm them down.  

"Tai: Did he slip and hit his head!?"  

I check his breathing, seems ok. There was definitely a hit on the head and face, and the soaking, bloody shirt isn't painting the picture in any happy colours.  

"Anna: Maybe..., there is some swelling and bruising. Most of the blood is old, I see no bleeding from the wounds. He must have been here for some hours. Don't start panicking, he has stable breathing."  

Very carefully, we uncurl him onto his back. I check for any more problems together with the others.  

"Yumi: I think the left arm got it the second worst, some bruises, I don't feel any broken bones."  

"Tai: There are some old scratch marks and I think I saw a beginning of a bruise on his back."  

"Anna: Did he fall down the stairs? Hit his head and landed badly on his arm, then staggered here? That sounds stupid."  

"Yumi: What do we do now? Do we call an ambulance or the nurse first?"  

"Tai: You think he has a concussion or worse?"  

"Anna: Let me check his eyes first."  

'Gods, I am not trained for this serious stuff. Usually we have dedicated professionals, to take care of things, on standby! I never knew how stressful it is for them! Ah! He is regaining consciousness!'  

"Anna: Are you ok?! How is your head? Can you see and hear me?"  

"Valentine: Hello. May I take your order?"  

'How about a slap for scaring me! Can you even stand up, before anything else!'  

"Anna: Cheesecake and black tea please."

Are people reading my fanfic?
  • Yes ( I have read some of the chapters.) Votes: 27 71.1%
  • No ( Just browsing around, don't mind me.) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a bot. Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Be grateful! I have read the whole silly little thing. Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Just checking out how NOT to write. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 38
17