Chapter 19 Let’s get ready to rumble!
262 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

SVRCINA - Meet Me On The Battlefield 

POV Mari

Every day has been hectic for the past week. In addition to spreading our group's renown, we had to quickly prepare for the upcoming matches. In lieu with our goals, we had to appeal to as many students as possible, while making sure to have enough time to actually practice.

'Speaking of practice. I haven't seen Anna's group practice that much in the gym or the club rooms. We often have after lunch snacks together, but then they disappear completely. Are they practicing away from prying eyes? Sigh~ I have been focusing on too many things at once, we need to take some time off and relax.'

The event will start in a couple of hours, but I don't feel that nervous. Sure, the seniors have their heated rivalry, going on full display, nevertheless they will provide proving grounds for the young. Besides, most students are coming here to watch a show and not some bloody all out fight.

"Meiko: Lady Mari, do you need refreshments? Some water? I can give you a massage to loosen you up."

'Someone else is feeling all the nervousness that I'm not. Hopefully, Meiko doesn't take it too far. This is not a fight to the death, so stop acting like it is!'

"Mari: How about you, Meiko? I see you are very tense, how about a relaxing massage?"

"Hana: How about we do some stretching together? It will help to pass the time and loosen up your tension a bit?"

'Hmm, yes, that may help calming her down.'

Together, we chatted and performed some simple routine for loosening the joints. Soon enough the announcement was given. In an hour, the seniors will have their fun first, then it will be our turn. Knowing that the gymnasium will be crowded, we make a move too. Thankfully the participants get separate seating arrangement, so we take the side entrance with the other groups.

Some first years are already seated. 'As expected, Kate didn't pass up the opportunity either. Haaa, I can practically feel Meiko's glare, however, she growls like a cute cat.'

"Mari: Kate, Risa, good day to the both of you."

"Kate: Oh my! How lovely to see you Mari. Meiko, Hana, a pleasure. Today is a good day indeed. It would have been better if we were competing among ourselves, but I'll take what I can get."

"Mari: Are you sure you are up for it? The seniors have years of experience to their advantage. There is more to gain from having a match with them in comparison to us."

"Kate: That is, IF we were competing against professionals. There will be a mixed bag of opponents, and not all are familiar with our choice of martial arts discipline."

'Hm, that is one way to look at it. Either way, beating a senior senseless will not gain you much, except for animosity.'

"Mari: So it is."

We lapse into making small talk, as we wait for the time to tick by. There are signs that Kate has launched her own campaign to gather supporters. I imagine that she would rather go after the ASC, as it holds a stable position.

'That is why the USC has more potential to expand. I believe taking over some of the ASC's functions is likely to be possible. Time will tell, for now, we better focus on the imminent events.'

The organisation is fairly well done, you can see that both student councils allocated personal to make it run without a problem. The clubs are the ones providing most of the equipment, so it's a way to appeal to the first years that have not decided on a club.

'It is a pleasant scene, watching all the different students working together. This is the kind of unity I wish to attain if we can take on the roles of the USC.'

Soon enough the spectators finish pouring in, and the event is officially started.

It would appear that the first match is Anna vs Mayumi, a senior in the aikido club.

'Is this an exhibition match? It is basically a demonstration for beginners, with commentary... Hm? I thought it would turn out more heated.'

"Kate: Don't worry, I'll give your senior a proper match. This is just a warm-up for the crowd."

'I see. So they planned to make Anna win and fight Kate. The excuse is rather believable, Mayumi takes the spotlight now and bows out for Anna to shine later. Kate is good, I'm not sure that Anna has the experience to counter her in aikido.'

As expected, Anna is given the win and Mayumi is applauded for her demonstration.

The following matches are more in style of actual competitions, with the wins going to martial arts club leaders and senior members. There are exceptions, as brute strength can be unstoppable.

"Meiko: Slam her into the ground!! Yeah!!! Yumi! Yumi! Yumi!"

'Judo throws require some strength and flexibility. It looks like she has an edge over her opponent.'

The crowd is raging as both participants are flipped over, outmanoeuvred or simply forced to move by using raw strength.

'I didn't know that Yumi was this resilient, her opponent is frankly out of breath from all the falls. She appears to be just warmed up and ready to go.'

"Hana: She's got as much stamina as Meiko, and packs a mean punch, despite not looking the part."

"Mari: They do workout almost every day, their stamina is enviable."

With another point scored, Yumi is declared the winner. We stand in applause, showering her in admiration.

There is a small, 5 min recess, as the arena is wiped and the kendo contestants are being equipped for their own matches. It turns out that Tai was nominated to participate in it.

"Hana: Does she know kendo? I newer saw her using any weapons. Isn't that completely unfair?"

'It is a matchup of martial arts clubs against the general fitness and sports clubs. The format does favour one side almost exclusively.'

"Mari: It was originally intended as a junior vs senior format, and after too many clubs got involved it turned into this. I guess some seniors just wanted to let out some steam or resolve some conflict on the stage."

"Risa: The strong win, that is all there is to it. And I'll get to fight the strongest."

In the match, Tai took a defensive stance, moving with speed I'd not expect from those wearing all that protective gear. She barely contested with strength, letting the attacks fall like leaves and striking at openings like a viper.

It is obvious that her opponent is frustrated beyond measure, as Tai moves out of reach, provoking an attack only to retreat a step and strike in retaliation.

"Risa: I can't see much technique, but her speed, reflexes and awareness are all top notch. She has been in serious street fights, I can tell by experience. I want to fight her."

'Really? I know the saying: don't judge a book by its cover. I simply can't see Tai as a delinquent. She gives off a more, friendly, younger sister vibes.'

Soon enough a dozen matches finished and the first years took the stage for introductions.

"Announcer: The first match will be between a classic ojousama! Kate! and the mountain of fortitude! Anna! The chosen discipline is aikido! Let us see two beautiful birds dance in the sky!!!"

'Looks like Anna is going all out.'

The match indeed started as a dance. Two sides fighting for taking the lead. Kate, forcing a forward movement, only to be swept into motion and follow the momentum into the next flowing movement.

Anna has the advantage in strength, but lacking in proper aikido experience, gets herself controlled by Kate's finetuned movement.

'Anna is quite adept at controlling her body and flows smoothly into rolls and redirects the momentum back.'

The dancing contest carried on for some time. Kate had to exert herself more earnestly, to make up for the difference in weight, strength and speed. It is an exhausting battle.

"Anna: Would you like to finish this by demonstrating the aikido striking techniques?"

"Kate: Haa, haa, sure. Pardon me in advance for being rough."

Even Kate knows not to go for real, face breaking strikes. They take turns in performing strikes and blocks, with Kate taking the leading role in the demonstration.

The performance received raving applause, as both participants bow to the crowd.

"Kate: What do you muscle brains eat to get all that strength? I'm going to have marks left all over my body. Sigh~ I feel manhandled."

I can only give a silent smile in return. She expected an easy win, but got into a cage with a bull.

"Mari: It was a lovely dance, and yes, Anna was a bit of a novice at it. I'm sure she will apologize to you for being clumsy at it."

"Kate: Kisses heal wounds only in fairytales, I'll need to apply ointments to not get bruises. Stupid brutes."

'She is sulking. Haa, sports are like that.'

Hana's opponent, being a fellow karate practitioner, gave a strong performance.

'I guess that being in the same club gives an opportunity to get a better understanding of each other, allowing to properly hold back. They have a nice balance going, playing moves of one another;for the pleasure of the spectators.'

"Kate: Now I think it would have been better to go up against my senior. I bet Hana will have barely a little spot on her."

My own match against a mixed martial arts club senior is well received. We tried to test each other to determine the extent of our abilities and the best way to demonstrate them to others. All in all, it went well. A good partner does make all the difference.

...

The stage is temporarily covered with softer mats, and a set of ropes tied to poles make an impromptu ring.

"Announcer: Next up! The fierce, the steadfast, the lovely tornado of carnage! Yumi!!!! VS The amazon woman! The indomitable!! Meiko!!! Let the wrestling match commence!!!"

"Yumi: Come here cream puff! Let me show you what War! in Warpriest standard for!"

"Meiko: Ha! If you are a priestess, then get on your knees and pray God's mercy! Because you ain't getting any from ME!"

"Yumi: God's might stands before you! Try not to get crushed!"

"Meiko: The only crushing we will see is of your self-confidence!"

'Ugh, how can they freely shout out like that? I never understood that American pretend wrestling. Haa I hope they don't get too engrossed in it.'

The fight begins with easy to follow performance, both testing things out a bit. Soon it gets heated and more crowd stirring.

"Yumi: Ant Haul! Haaa!!"

"Eeep~ `Slam`"

I watch as Meiko is grabbed under the arms, fully lifted straight over Yumi's head for a solid 3 seconds and taken to the floor with a solid sounding drop.

Not wanting to be outdone, Meiko is swirling behind Yumi, locking her in a tight hug.

"Meiko: German suplex!!"

`Thud`

Back on their feet, Yumi makes a slow winding uppercut.

"Yumi: Guidance of the Mighty Fist of the Earth!"

Meiko plays along splendidly, being sent flying and sprawling on the floor.

"Yumi: Praises to the Mighty YUMI! Ha ha ha!"

While Yumi is singing praises to herself, turning her back to Meiko, she gets up, delivers a disorienting hit and spins Yumi into a body lock.

"Meiko: Tombstone piledriver!"

'Are they really ok to perform those moves?'

"Oooh! Wowowo! Go Meiko!! Noo! Priestess 

"Hana: Yeah!! Give her a burial!"

'The crowd is certainly into it.'

"Yumi: Is that all? Creampuff? Your moves are a refreshing summer breeze!"

"Meiko: Ha! That was the quiet before the storm! HAAA!! Tornado KICK!"

'Gods! I can hear the hits connect from here!'

After taking the hit, Yumi rolls around and gets behind Meiko, who is recovering from exhaustion.

With a spirited shout, she gets on Meiko's back and performs a wheelbarrow like motion.

"Yumi: Swallow your fear!!! Blessed!! Last! CALL!"

`Slam`

"Kyaa!! Go! Priestess of storms!! Yumi!!"

Picking herself up, Meiko goes berserker.

"Meiko: RAaaaaaa!!!!! FOR LADY MARI! Fresh KISS!!! Fearless!! LOCK!"

'Ugh! What's with those names! Meiko!'

"Announcer: With reckless abandon, the wild amazoness declares her love! Dragging the Storm priestess down from heaven and ensnaring her in chains! Is this the end?! Does love triumph today?!"

I can't help it but feel the gazes on me. 'Haa… Meiko is completely lost in the heat of battle, if only she picked some less nuanced move names.'

"Announcer: The Storm is dying down as the fearless, steadfast amazoness warrior declares her dominion over it!"

The students are going wild for both of them, from this reaction it's easy to see Meiko's growth in popularity.

'It certainly will bring attention to us, hopefully the good kind of attention.'

The ring is dismantled, giving the students a chance to calm down. I can see that Meiko is worn down, so we pampered her a bit. After the spectacle, the remaining participants are under much more pressure. The expectations are high.

"Kate: You will do fine Risa. It's just you and your opponent, focus on her and nothing else."

"Risa: Why is there so much shouting? This isn't a rock concert."

"Kate: It's Risa's performance! You just need to go out there and kick ass!"

"Risa: Yeah, this will be more of a sword fight than a proper kendo match. I'll go get changed now."

The honour of the last match is given to Tai and Risa, wearing traditional outfits instead of modern protection equipment.

"Announcer: The day has been wild! So let's welcome our last contestants!! The energetic, little sister with a dark backstory! The wonder or speed! Tai!! VS The observant eagle, the hunting mistress herself! Risa!"

"Tai: Keep up junior! Or be left in the dust."

"Risa: I'll let you come to me yourself. Let the best fighter win."

Without much small talk, the girls let their weapons speak. Tai has chosen to take a more aggressive approach, seeing as her opponent declined to attack first.

Evenly matched, it is a display of sword strikes in an almost rhythmic fashion. A symphony of strikes and swipes.

Tai moves erratically, striking from any angle and retreating just as fast. Risa is countering her valiantly, going for short, quick strikes and keeping the opponent fearful of strong, downwards strikes.

"Tai: Ha, ha, ha, come! Move faster! Here! Here! Down!"

Tai employs acrobatics to get in close and personal, restricting Risa's movements and limiting the usefulness of the longer sword reach.

Even by relying on excessive movements, Tai appears to have a boundless amount of energy and her strikes, though weak, are precise and fast accumulating.

"Risa: Haa, haa, you don't fight like a kendo user. What's your school?"

"Tai: It's a secret. I'm a Kunoichi, so I can't tell, or, you know, I'd have to eliminate you."

"Risa: Heh, us street punks have rules too. Best of all is: Winner Takes All!"

Risa pushes in with a fast furry of thrusts, forcing Tai to move according to her will. Judging the time right, Risa goes for a blitz move. Putting in all her strength and unleashing powerful swings towards the torso that usually require one to block.

In an instant, switching from dodging to flowing like water, Tai performs a split and knocks Risa's sword out of her hand, trips her up, and rising up, presses the sword to her neck. It happened so quickly that the audience barely noticed the sequence of events.

The finale excited the crowd again, and they both received appropriate applause from all the gathered students. Helping Risa rise, the two bow to each other and the spectators.

To end the event, all the participants get on stage for a final round of applause.

'This was fun, for the most part. We definitely deserve some rest and relaxation during the weekends. Some desserts would be nice, maybe I'll go get some for us tonight, to celebrate Meiko's spectacular performance and Hana's job well done.'

Once again, the seniors demonstrate their reliability, inviting us to Anna's room, fully stocked with an assortment of delectable sweets from that place.

Anna excuses herself for a minute, gathering a couple of boxes of sweets and taking them away. I imagine her using them as an apology gift for Kate.

It has been a good day.

13