Chapter 23 Spread of information.
209 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion Song (1000 Doors)- The Living Tombstone -feat. BSlick & Crusher-P

POV Mari

'Aliens, magic, monsters, dungeon, teleportation to another habitable planet.'

"Mari: And what is his role in all of this?"

"Anna: Kuhum, well, you know how biologists, sometimes, capture some specimens for testing, and keep them in cages for observation. Well… that's him. Though, he has an invisible leash tied to this very, very, very high-tech cage, and the biologists are some unknown beings, or aliens, or demons, or whatever thing is powerful, or advanced enough to create this place."

'An animal in a cage, ironically fitting.'

"Yumi: He said that this is not his original Earth. Something the likes of the parallel worlds theory situation. Officially, he doesn't exist on our planet and only the people here right now have ever laid eyes on him."

"Tai: He believes himself to be all alone, in a world that he can't even reach. Looking out through a window, waiting for more things to be done to him, to be killed."

"Anna: Yeah, that was his first reaction after we found out. That we came back to murder him and dismantle this cage for studying."

'How self-centered was I, that I didn't notice anything? So focused on blaming anything and everything on father that I didn't even consider anything else. If I think back to our first dialogue… … How did I not question anything at the time? Took the vague excuse and slotted it into my scenario.'

"Mari: Show, don't tell. I need to see the evidence. It must be damning evidence."

"Anna: Sure. Tai, Yumi, can one of you stay behind with nurse Haruka? I'm not sure she will take to monsters trying to kill and eat her. Maybe show her the magic bin and soak her in the hot spring? There should be some food left upstairs."

The two exchange a silent conversation and Yumi steps up to the crying nurse to lead her away. 

"Anna: Tai, can you take up the rear guard? I'll lead us to the second floor. Heh, it's our turn to show someone around, I guess I'll do the same thing that he has done."

We followed Anna through what appeared to be a, hologram concealed, door and into a swirling gateway. The fact that we have moved from below ground to the surface is already startling, not to mention the rest of it.

'Damn it Meiko! It isn't proven to be safe! Don't go fighting monster tomatoes like it's nothing! Uff! This is too many new revelations at once, on everything!'

"Mari: I assume that you have taken samples and made sure that the food is safe?"

"Anna: As far as we are able to tell, yes. We were thinking to approach someone who is more familiar with atomic physics than us, to take a look at the very core of the matter. Honestly, we are working with dark matter here. I have no clue what to look for below the surface level."

'Indeed, this conversion of matter is beyond my imagination. `Sigh. I need to think.'

"Mari: We will stay silent. All this can throw the world into chaos, I don't want us to be recorded in history as the catalyst for world war 3. This technology is enough to push us beyond the stars, or under the earth."

"Anna: Indeed. He he~ the academy could become the equivalent of Area 51 in Japan. Not sure where we will end up being sent, if that happens."

She looks me dead in the eyes. Making sure to convey the seriousness of her statement. 'Grave consequences indeed. Though the allure is great, we must not consume the medicine so often that it becomes poison. A grain of rice at a time. Maybe after a millennium of work, our planet will reach a better understanding of all this. It would be nice to leave such an enormous legacy.'

"Mari: I'll make sure everyone understands the consequences. Haa, today is going to be a long night."

After witnessing the giant potato construct we head back to our planet. 'This sounds absurd. Back to our planet. Ha!'

After Anna has a look at the mangled man, we go looking for the ones we left behind. It would seem that they relaxed in the bath and are having late dinner. Nurse Haruka does look less frightened than before.

"Yumi: I know we missed dinner, hmm.. and lunch, now that I remember. So! I heated up some leftovers from yesterday and cooked the things that were made ready for our lunch today. Please praise my skills!"

"Anna: Ah, true. I'm famished from all the running around. Thank you very much, oh great tempest priestess. Have you talked it out with the nurse?"

Anna and Yumi lapse into a hushed conversation and we take our seats to eat dinner. I think everyone is looking at the ingredients differently right now. 'Produce from another planet, made out of dark matter, that look and taste like normal things we are familiar with, but better. Hmm… well, the cooking skills certainly make a difference. Yumi could use some more practice.'

"Haruka: Umm.. did you really go to another planet? With monsters and magic?"

"Hana: Yeah, pretty sure slimes aren't a thing on our planet and neither are dinosaurs anymore. Fiction and history, yes, but not real-life ones that try to eat you. Not so sure about magic, if you exclude the whole teleportation to another planet."

"Haruka: The bins are magic. They make everything disappear into thin air. Total matter erasure, or conversion, I don't know. It's easier to say magic bins."

'As the saying goes, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Haa, right.'

We have a little dinner and finally go back to the dormitory. Anna has let us borrow their spare flashlights as it's already close to night. I have a little chat with Meiko and Hana, making sure they are emotionally stable. Not sure if I'm any good at it, but I try my best for my friends. This is one sleepless night to remember for life.

-- --

Having slept less than usual I find it harder to get up. There is little choice in that matter, the day must go on and the student meeting is held later today. During breakfast I see that Meiko and Hana are still contemplating on the things from last night.

"Meiko: Lady Mari, Anna said that their special training boosted their physical state by at least 25%. If you decide to experiment with that approach, please let me be the first volunteer."

'The first. Meaning, she expects more to come. Hmm, yes, I can see that happening with Hana and myself. Haaa… .'

"Mari: Alright. No need to be hasty, we have plenty of time to work this out. First things first, we have to make a good lasting impression today. Right?"

"Meiko: Right! The meeting! I will do my best!"

"Hana: You are thinking that it will be easier to keep things secret if we have the positions of the USC?"

'It wouldn't be enough with just that, no.' I shake my head in denial.

"Mari: This is too big of an issue. People will notice sooner than later. We must cover as many bases as humanly possible. Haaa… Including the ASC, the academy staff and the board."

"Hana: We can do that?"

'Mm, if only.' I keep my tongue for the time being, I haven't made up my mind yet. We go through the motions of attending classes, while thinking about completely different things.

The meeting goes as I had initially expected, quite a bit of the usual formalities at the beginning and the student councils representatives go on stage in the end.

'There is a bit more support for us than expected, Meiko must have become even more popular after the match. Kate isn't lacking support either.'

With little to no opposition, we successfully put our candidatures forward. If none of us drops out for some reason, the results are plain to see even now. '`Sigh. I hope this really is the best course of action. This is the sincerest approach that can be taken. Hopefully, it will be enough.'

I ask Meiko and Hana to go ahead and wait in my room, before approaching Kate.

"Mari: Congratulations Kate, it would seem that you will be unopposed."

"Kate: I can say the same to you. Honestly! I was hoping for a change… What do you need, you've come alone to talk?"

'Here goes nothing.' I walk closer, leaning in and whisper.

"Mari: Not here. There is something to talk about, but I need you to swear secrecy on your life, and the lives of everyone you hold dear."

I lean back and stare into her eyes. "If you don't want to get involved, forget I've said anything, otherwise come to my room within the hour."

I leave behind a baffled Kate as I walk down the corridor to my room, greeted by my friends.

"Mari: I believe we all saw the future power balance of the student body. I would like to say that we will have the larger half, but as you may imagine, even the whole may not be enough for the coming future."

We can all image someone stumbling into that clearing and asking questions around. Which in tern will lead to more questions and investigations, blowing the while thing wide open for the world to see. 'The world isn't ready so see everything there is to see.'

"Mari: Right now, while we are unsteady on our feet, I believe that we must appeal to the other half. Not to use them as lessers but cooperate as equals. Sorry Meiko, we will have to work with Kate or have her disappear from this world."

I say the last part to the door, feeling a presence emanating from behind it.

"Kate: Ara, ara, what horrible words. No need to make Kate disappear, I can keep my silence if it's that important."

Kate and Risa walk in and close the door behind them. I can't help asking.

"Mari: Only Risa?"

"Kate: Yes. Mitsuko is a competent girl, but if you are serious, Risa is the only one I'd trust with my life."

"Mari: Is that mutual? If no, it's better that you leave." There is a second of hesitation, but Kate takes Risa's hand, silently reassuring their bond.

"Risa: Yes, it is. We cover each others back."

"Mari: Good, you will need a mountain for support. Are you good to walk in those clothes for a few hours?"

I take in their outfits. Both are already changed from the uniforms and Rasa is carrying her shinai. Getting a nod from them, we go out and walk into the forest.

"Kate: Why the forest? For privacy?"

"Mari: Something like that. Before anything, I'll clearly say that we will do neither of you any harm and you have the option to forget everything and walk away."

We make it to the clearing, to the sight of Anna and Yumi engaged in combat. They are wielding the sharp spears with intent, holding back nothing as they thrust their weapons.

"Tai: Hey there Risa, don't narrow your focus too much, or else."

Like a ghost, Tai appears in the middle of us, slipping in-between our lines of sight and startling all of us.

"Risa: Senior, you've had me spooked. Please remove the knife from my side."

I can see beads of sweat falling down Risa's forehead. 'Damn ninja, I got distracted by the others too.'

"Tai: Go ahead, we will wrap up our training and clear the way. We decided to take a single look at the third floor, to better understand what went wrong and try planning some countermeasures."

I nod and lead our group further in.

"Kate: I already have a dozen questions, but I assume I'll have ten times more very soon, so I'll hold it in."

"Mari: Thanks, otherwise it will take until sundown. Can I also ask that everyone picks up a rock or something?"

I give an example by picking up a fist sized rock and walk ahead.

"Kate: Nice little place. A coffee shop in the middle of a forest, it has a pleasant atmosphere."

"Meiko: I'll get some tea going."

"Mari: Thank you Meiko. Now, first, something simple." I walk up to the counter and take the innocent looking bin in hand and bring it over to our table. "Risa. Can you check that this is a normal plastic box, with nothing special going for it? When you are done, throw something into it, say a couple of rocks, close it, and open it again after 3 minutes."

'It still baffles me how it looks like a normal object.'

After checking and hitting the bin all over, she places a stick and a rock inside, placing the bin between her legs on my request. As we start having tea, I check that enough time has passed and ask Kate a question.

"Mari: Kate, what happened to the things in the bin?"

I can see as she scoffs and opens the lid, only to find nothing inside.

"Kate: A magic tricks? All this, for a magic trick? You can do better Mari."

'This is the softest approach we have at the moment, soon the gloves will come off.'

I urge her to give it a try, placing the remaining sticks and rocks in. The bin stayed by her side, with a leg on the lid. After another 3 minutes, the lid comes off, revealing an empty bin.

"Mari: What follows this, I would like you to assume, is as real as matter transforming into an unknown form of energy and vanishing within minutes."

Anna takes the lead moving downstairs after we finished our tea.

"Tai: Woah there eagle, no need for the claws."

"Risa: I smell blood, thick blood of a person and you want me to relax? While you lead us into a basement, deep in the forest?"

"Tai: Yes. Exactly that."

'Righ, this is about to get worse, but they need to know of the consequences before anything else.'

I can see a lack of willingness from Hana. The sight isn't pleasant at all, so I ask her and Meiko to go ready some things before we enter he last room. Seeing them walk through a solid wall is fun.

"Mari: Next, we will be going to a dangerous place. I would like to offer you one last chance to reconsider, while looking at the possible consequences."

I open the bedroom door and walk in. 'His body is regenerating. Just like by magic.'

"Kate: Ugh, damnit! Give a proper warning!"

Having taken a glance at the man, Kate turns around for a second to collect herself.

"Risa: Was he being fed to the lions or something? How is he healing? This looks unnatural."

His condition has improved by a lot, the wounds are mostly closed, and the skin is back to looking like a living person's skin. 'The regrowing limbs are still gross to look at.'

A short discussion later, we follow Anna's guide for our second tour. It is no less fascinating than the first. I feel that Kate finds it as every bit magical as I do.

This time we are taken farther up the mountain, encountering a humanoid lump of moving rice and some type of onion/feline hybrids. 'The smell is very irritating.'

As we exit the cave leading into the mountain, I once again question the workings of space in here. 'How can space be this distorted but stable at the same time?'

We don't move beyond the entrance, as none of us are prepared to tackle neither the freezing cold nor the unknown threats.

I talk to Kate on our way back.

"Mari: Can you imagine the benefits and the risks that this can bring about?"

"Kate: Ha! I'm not stupid. If this gets out… all hell will break loose, if you consider the political climate. Sure, we can believe in the good inside the people, but we both understand that the world doesn't work like that. This is a gateway to a resource. A whole new world of resources with zero laws that apply on this side. Disclosing this is the equivalent of adding a barrel of gunpowder into a bonfire and watching it catch fire."

"Mari: And we aren't phoenixes to rise from the ashes."

"Kate: Haaa, this can be a cure or a poison, it all depends on the dosage. Is that why you reached out? Ha, ha, I think we are a few years too young to decide on the fate of the world. Not that I'm not ambitious, it's just too wide of a scope to take it all in."

"Mari: Indeed, it is. For now, I am asking for your help in concealing this place, when we take over the student councils. Neither of us can guarantee to do it alone, or even together."

...

We all return to our rooms to reflect on the situation we are in. 'Better get it over with.' I finally make the call.

"A.K: Daughter, it's nice of you to call. Are you missing … home?"

"Mari: A bit, yes. Father… I wish to ask for your help."

"A.K: You do? I mean, of course you can, anything I can help with, daughter."

"Mari: Then I'll get straight to the point. I need you to take the position of the academy chairman, by any means, as soon as humanly possible, but without drawing too much attention to the academy itself."

"A.K: ...Hmm… a strange request, and as I mentioned before I was going to take more… time."

"Mari: Father, please…this will be important for our family… this matter can't wait."

"A.K: Hmm… I believe you daughter, and as such I will act… decisively. Is there anything else?"

"Mari: I am thinking about polishing my archery skillset. I'd like a composite bow with different arrowheads to try. … Can you make a discreet visit?"

"A.K: You… would like that? I… Yes. I can. Anytime daughter."

"Mari: Also, if you can, bring the hunting thing, and a few dozen of those shells, that come out of the stick."

"A.K: … … … Yes, daughter, I'll get the fire log and matches. I hope that they will not be … used for anything I wouldn't. This old man can only take so much… I understand, I'll make the trip this Sunday. Please don't get involved with something dangerous, Mari. We will fall… apart without you. Please."

"Mari: I'll stay put until you get here and thank you for, well, everything... Is Chiyo home? I was thinking to call her for a sisterly chat."

I think I haven't had such a long conversation with father in years, and Chiyo is as easygoing as ever.

'Is this how it feels to grow old? It feels like the world was simpler just yesterday and we only had to worry about grades. `Sigh.

9