Chapter 26 Down, to the third floor.
165 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV Valentine

My first time in the open could have gone worse. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about anything but one thing right now.

"Yessss!!! Fucking Yes! A phone, Mo-Fo!! Internet! Oh sweet gate to the world! Ha! Ha! Ha! FY isekai! A man needs access to his fap material! I live once again!"

Being cut off from civilization is hell. Now, I won't need to find ways to pass the time when I'm bored. I can even find videos on how to craft shit for myself!

After I got my phone, I served the customers in high spirits, mentally going over the things I'll look for. 'I should ask for a bank card too. I need to start making some money. Hm… Japan is more into cash if I remember correctly, though internet shopping should function with digital currency like everywhere else.'

Soon, very soon I'll abuse the hell out of that fucking death trap! It will pay for my suffering! 'I just need to find something sellable and compact for now. He, he, he… That's exactly why I insisted on the vinery. A good, exclusive vine will sell for a lot of money. Especially if I can tap into the rich girls' families attending this academy.'

I can't help but smile like an idiot, just imagining my rise to freedom and the walking sacks of money all around me. … 'However long the way up there may take. I'll get my life together or die trying.'

Late afternoon after the official events ended the crowd thins out and I start packing away. I need to first: separate my things from the rest and then make a couple of trips back and forth to carry everything back. The rest will be dealt with by others.

POV Chiyo

The dances were cute. Seeing Mari jump around in a cute skirt is a novel experience. Quite different from her usual behaviour.

"Woooo! Mari!!! `Clap, clap, clap!!!"

"Mari: Thanks. I'll go change before we go sightseeing. Haaa, finally it's over."

I think there is a little, tiny bit of a blush on her cheeks.

"A.K: Mm, go do your things Mari… On second thought, can you take Chiyo with you? I think, I'll take the chance to go and have a talk … with some people. Have some alone time together… daughters."

'Is he going to talk to that guy?' I wonder as I follow Mari into her room. The dormitory is nice, big enough rooms for two people to live comfortably or have friends over. 'That's a big tea set and plenty of chairs for one person. Did Mari get close to so many people so fast? It's not like her. Uhh, I feel like I missed her for a whole year and everything changed!'

"Chiyo: … So? You have a personal chef now?" I can see a slight tension run through her.

"Mari: Yes… You can say that. Mr Valentine is… serving directly under me. Pay it no mind, I can lend you his skills if it's needed."

'It's true?! I'm the last to know everything!' It's obvious that there is more going on, but since dad and sis are keeping it on the low, I won't ask too much about it for now. Instead, I smile and ask her another question.

"Chiyo: Ok. Then how about your new friends? I see you are close not just with Meiko, but a whole bunch of people."

'I'll make you spill everything! All the nitty gritty of your new friends! And how you all became close!'

POV Mari

'My cute, little sister is being jealous that I spend more time with new people.'

I am bombarded with questions about my seniors and classmates. I thought that I've already spoke plenty over the phone with her, apparently I was wrong. 'It feels nice to be missed… To have a family… To not be completely alone in the world. `Sigh. Not the time to think about his situation, not like anything I can do would help with that.'

I give Chiyo a tour around the academy, there isn't much to it, but I introduce her to some girls we meet around the club rooms.

'I'm sure Chiyo will fit in nicely with other girls. Should I show her around the faculties too? Not much else to show really.'

Classrooms, lounges, canteen, rooftop, teacher's work rooms, nurse's office…

"Haruka: Oh! Hello Mari. Are you dropping by with another injured? Is it stomach ache from mixing food from all the stalls outside?"

"Mari: No, nurse Haruka. We are well. I'm showing my sister around. This is Chiyo. She will attend the academy in two years time."

"Chiyo: Hello nurse! Chiyo Kurihara, a pleasure."

"Haruka: Hello, hello little Chiyo! Um… Are you introducing your sister to the chef?"

"Mari: She already had something to eat at his stall."

'Of course NOT! What kind of big sister would introduce her sibling to DANGER!! So do as you are told and keep it to yourself!'

I glare at the quietly mumbling fool, who is asking the wrong questions too loudly, even as she tries to whisper the question.

"Chiyo: Mm, the ice cream was the best! Soft and melting, with sweet and sour caramelized bits in it."

"Haruka: Mm. I like the cakes. Even if I eat a bit more of them I don't gain any weight! It's a mystery how that can be, or maybe it's magic."

"Chiyo: He makes you sweets all the time?"

I intensify my glare looming over Haruka, prompting her to shut up.

"Mari: Yes, I tend to have his work shared with my friends and the occasional faculty member. It would be too much for me to eat everything alone."

"Haruka: `Nod, nod. Yes! I am very happy to have such a caring student attend the academy. `Ha,ha,ha,ha."

'Ugh, she would make a terrible actress.'

"Mari: Don't let us bother you too much, you must be tired after a long day of dealing with all the students."

"Haruka: More than usual, yes, too many bandaids were used for me to count them all. Well, see you girls later!"

I end our short conversation and lead Chiyo out, thinking of something else to distract her with.

'Something that wouldn't raise unnecessary suspicions or blabber needlessly! Right! The USC! They should be waiting for the guests to start leaving before they can get to work!'

Fortunately, my assumption turned out to be right. I introduced the seniors we'll be replacing soon, and they were good enough people to welcome and entertain us. All the while sharing their ups and downs of being on the USC and the difficulties of being responsible for large events.

This stop pretty much drains our free time and soon all the guests start heading back, while the students are organized for a massive cleanup. 

'All in all, it was a wonderful day.'

-- -- --

Five Finger Death Punch - Wash It All Away

The days after the sports event were still buzzing with lingering energy. More so for our large group. 

Before the official student councils election next week, we have planned to look into the 3rd floor of the dungeon.We made preparations and took our time to practice, but I worry still.

Nine people, decked out in war gear, walk down the cave leading to a new, barely explored floor.

"Valentine: Mm, the secondary gate works well for everyone… The utility bills will be higher again…"

"Kate: It is much more convenient this way. All the walking was getting on my nerves."

'I agree, it is more convenient to cut down on our travel distance when we have to carry all this equipment around.'

"Valentine: … I'm the one paying the bills, I have a right to complain… `Kuhum. Let's move as planned and turn that overgrown strawberry into jam!"

We separate into two columns and start moving out of the cave. The snow is crunching under our boots and Meiko leaves behind a low trench for me to follow.

'Low visibility, restricted movement both due to snow and all the clothes. Not the best situation for an archer.'

The progress is slow. This is an exploratory mission, so we take in the scenery. 'This is an absurd amount of snow, I can barely make out anything but snow all around us.'

Over the blowing wind I hear a growl from the front. "Valentine: There! Another 50 m before we stop!"

I look closely. 'A red… ha. It's really a gigantic strawberry with little else to note about it... except for the large maw.' We move cautiously and stop a good 40 m before it. Half of us trample a bit of snow around while the rest keep watch.

I make myself comfortable, stretching out my body and testing my grip on the bow. A minute later I make the arrows fly and hit the oversized target.

Snow erupted immediately around the berry. Long, rope like vines attached to it flail around. Some have a smaller version of the monster attached to the ends. I loose another arrow, as it uselessly continues to search for the attacker.

'Vines are around 15 m long and the extra mouths no more than 10 m. Completely invisible below the snow, waiting for unsuspecting prey to get close, wrap around it, bite down on the limbs and drag it into the waiting maw for processing. A carnivorous plant basically.'

I can't help but shiver, imagining falling prey to the monster, or worse, watching my friends being eaten alive.

I refocus, notch the arrow, pull the bowstring and loose. It takes over 10 arrows sticking halfway out of it before the vines go limp and stop all movement. To be safe, we wait for it to actually turn into something before we approach closer. We lose out on absorbing the mana ourselves in exchange for making sure we stay safe.

"Kate: Well, that was easy once we knew what to look out for."

"Valentine: Mm."

With barely a word, he walks to the site of carnage and retrieves a few bags of strawberries and a red paste, that I assume is jam or something of that sort. The loot goes into boxes for transportation, and we move on. Today we plan to get a glimpse of the next monster and try to find something else of use here.

'Can we even find anything under all this snow? Is there anything to find in the first place?' Thus far, we tried cleaning up some small areas of snow, only to find rock solid ice and frozen earth. I doubt there will be anything of immediate interest around here.

We move in one direction, keeping a solid wall to our left side. A precaution for anything trying to surround and tear us apart. It also acts as a guide for us, as there is barely anything to use as a landmark. When the map is filled up, we should have an easier time.

As we walk for another 15 minutes or so, I hear an urgent shout.

"Valentine: Zerg swarm!!! TO THE WALL!! NOW!"

Even not understanding the situation, we move, covering the 50 m in a dash, disregarding any caution. As we run, he gives out instructions.

"Valentine: HALF CIRCLE! 2 meter gaps! Kate! Eyes on the sky. Nothing falls on us before you say it does! They will charge you like a bull then swarm the fallen like ants! Dodge if you want to live! Keep your neighbors safe! Meiko! Anything charging, hits the wall. I want your axe chopping its head off at that moment! Mari! Pick at the swarm! Ignore the ones charging! If they all charge, hit back and circle out. Keep them to our one side!"

Spoiler

Red Malicious by Jue Li.

Red Malicious by Jue Li.

Retrieved from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EVr2Zv

[collapse]

Taking position at the farthest point, I finally turn to see what has him so spooked. And I agree that It looks bad. 'Shit!'

A beast of a monster. Sharp, spear like limbs that barely disturbed the snow while the monsters gallop towards us. Apple red horns are leveled in our direction by two monsters leading the charge.

'15. 15! Monsters, towering over 2 m tall! Damn this snow! We can barely move our legs in a straight line!'

"Valentine: Risa! Support Meiko! RRRAAA!!!!!!!!!!AAAA!!!!"

With a loud cry and a rush forward, he attracted the attention of the two leaders charging forth towards Anna and Hana. The dozen of the followers are keeping a 20 m distance while circling around us.

There are too many targets for me to miss, though I have to aim for too long to hit the rapidly moving heads and necks.

"Valentine: KEEP FORMATION!"

Even before the collision, I can see the herd devide in two. Six are turning towards the leaders, and from the other six, one is angling for another charge.

Somehow, the two leaders triple their speed from the last five meters mark, going from a fast run to a speeding car. I watch in slow motion as whatever plan Mr Valentine had, failed, in the face of the unexpected change in velocity. In a split second, he is tackled by the horns and lifted up, as the long necks act like a catapult, flinging him up, towards the closing in herd. "KEEP FORM…"

There is a loud crashing sound as the two, out of control monsters slam themselves into solid wall, face first.

There is a flurry of activity as Meiko and Risa bring down their full might on the dazed monsters. Already having seen the sudden charge, Tai manages to throw herself out of the way and the third charging monster hits the wall and gets chopped to pieces.

My main focus is on the other group. The one that followed the first two dead leaders and the human missile. Like a rock, his flight was ungraceful and short, cutting off his final order for us to stay in place. I send arrow after arrow. Cursing that I don't have more arms to work with.

The monster swarm over the spot he landed. It's hard to tell what is happening with all the bodies overlapping.

Another two monsters charge us, picking two sides to approach us. Kate takes over the lead and gives out instructions.

"Kate: Yumi! Left 2! Anna! Turn! Attack!"

One of the charging monsters is trying to skim the edge of the wall and charge one of us from behind. With half of the swarm busy elsewhere the girls turn on the offensive. Allowing one to crash into the wall while the other is skewed by a spear and sliced into pieces.

'Shit! Shit! Shit!' I continue to send arrows, downing the less mobile targets in four shots each… 'Only two out of six. Faster!' The last three monsters from one group lower their heads and charge all together. I hear my name called out.

"Kate: Mari! MOVE FOCUS!"

I stop my hands going for more arrows and prepare to dodge out of the way. With the horrible footing and snow impeding me, I feel myself being send sprawling by a light graze from the rushing monster. I eat a face full of show, but ignore it in favour of moving my body to take a stand and fire more arrows.

As I regain my sight, I see that everyone not finishing off our attackers are rushing forward.

'Over two minutes! We were pinned down for over two minutes!'

"Yumi: MOVE!!!"

Yumi's war hammer dents a monster's side, sending it a good half a meter to the side, where Anna takes to stabbing it full of holes.

Without mobility, they fall easily before us. Outnumbering them also helps.

I had to stop my offense to avoid hitting the girls. I feel my stomach dropping as I get closer and the red splatters intensity on the white snow. The riot shield is a mess, full of punctured holes.

I almost sigh in relief as I compare his current state to the one we have first found him in.

"Yumi: `Haa, haa, hey there buddy. You ok?"

"Valentine: a alm ost. lun g."

He rasps out half words. I bend down to assess the damage: 'Punctured lung, multiple stab wounds on hands and legs, likely broken bones all around. A bit more and the shield would have failed completely and all those stabs would have reached…'

"Mari: Get his top open. I need to seal the hole in his chest before we start moving him back."

'Calm, calm. Stabilize the breathing so he doesn't choke and get him into the magic water to do the heavy lifting. The portal is much closer this time.'

I open the med supplies, looking for wide, sealing plasters. 'We just need to make sure that he can breathe for the next 10 to 15 minutes, nothing more complicated than that.'

"Mari: Meiko! Make a pathway for us!"

"Kate: Team Mari, leave behind anything not needed. My team will pick up the slack and secure the back side."

I acknowledge Kate's suggestion, and we lighten our load before heading out. Hana is marching first, checking the direction on the map, followed by Meiko trampling the snow under her wide snowshoes.

'This could have gone worse. If we were surrounded and picked off one by one. If they charged all at once and trampled over us. This could have gone better if we were less restricted by all this snow, or knew of their ability beforehand. `Sigh. It can't be helped.'

We move fast, taking only several shortcuts, as it is easier to use our old trail moving back. It is also safer. We encounter no monsters on our way. After passing to the other side, we wait for the emergency treatment notice.

Half a minute was wasted on waiting. As nothing changed, we rushed up to the hot springs.

'Ok. We tested this before. Now... It is only a slightly more serious wound.'

"Meiko: Lady Mari! Do I put him in? He won't start drowning with this hole, right?"

"Mari: Can you keep his head and chest above water for a bit? The healing should start closing the wounds after a few minutes. I'll remove the patch after that's done."

I open the hot springs healing function, and give a generous estimation that we will need between 100-200 mana points. I lack practical tests data for estimating it better, so I go for the middle point.

This time, he isn't like a mangled corps and the bleeding, cuts and bruises get healed after a couple tens of second. 'If this was a lab experiment, I would have been fascinated as I watch the tissue regrow so fast and in complete form.' Righ now, though? Right now, I just feel relieved that nothing irreversible happened.

"Valentine: `Cough, cough. Kkhhack. Thanks. Haa, I can feel and move my body more easily now. Haaa... I'm ok now... Just let me soak for 10 minutes before anything else. I need a minute to pull myself together."

Meiko gives me a look, saying that it's my call. I look him over, checking that his limbs really are able to move and he isn't falling off his feet. I give a nod, judging that he will be fine.

Meiko has to change her wet clothes, and I go to meet up with Kate.

"Kate: Everything ok on your end?" Even Kate has a soft side after seeing someone put their life on the line for others, her included. 

He could have stuck at the back giving orders, or stayed still and let the monsters charge the girls. 'Then they likely would have been caught off guard too, and we would have charged in with reckless abandon to help, as the monsters run us over in the ensuing chaotic mele... And they wouldn't have had a shield to hide behind for so long.'

I try discarding my negative thoughts before I answer Kate. "Mari: Yes. The shield took 95% of the damage. He only had one serious injury, but 150 mana points in the healing water are easily taking care of that. I reckon that 120 would have been enough. How was your side?"

Kate lets out a heavy breath.

"Kate: Good. Can't lose our meat shield that easily. Tai was checking around for enemies when you started to retreat, and found a tree close to 200 meters away from our battle site. A big tree with fruits on it. In a tundra like environment of permanent show! I suggest we take the chance before the monsters are remade and we have to fight our way back there. An hour or two of R&R and we can make a relatively safe trip down there, retrieve samples and come back."

I consider the options, the advantages and risks. So far everything has suggested that the area around there should be very empty of danger for another 12 hours.

"Mari: First we double check that there aren't any injuries that anyone missed. I will agree if everyone feels up for it."

I'm thankful for her suggestion. I don't want adrenaline to cloud our judgement, so an hour of calming down and examining everyone for wounds sounds like a plan. And if everyone has the energy to carry-on after that, then we will do a short trip to retrieve some samples. No more exploring farther in for today.

5