Chapter 28 The first step.
194 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV Hana

I find myself lost in thought while we have lunch. I am thinking back on the insect-like apple monsters, on how they could suddenly speed up so much. It was frankly unnatural for their size. 'Some tiny insects have specially evolved organs to achieve something similar, but nothing of that size comes to mind. Their crab-like limbs didn't look specially designed for it either.'

"Mari: Hana? Is something the matter? Oh, I must have interrupted your thoughts, sorry."

"Hana: It's fine. I'm just curious how those things could become so fast so quickly. I couldn't see anything natural that could explain it, not that they are natural beings in the first place."

"Mari: Yes, we know practically nothing about any of those… artificial creatures? Did you get any interesting ideas?"

'A silly one, yes. Hey! You can't blame me for having it!' I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I bite the bullet.

"Hana: …My class 'Windstep Master' is the second easiest to imagine, after Risa's 'Samurai'. I… I feel that, maybe, I could do the same thing, the increase in speed. It just feels like I should be able to run and double or triple my speed if I push my will strong enough. You know! It's that gut feeling you get sometimes! The sixth sense! A woman's intuition!"

'Fuck! This is embarrassing! I feel like a neet coming out of their lair! We have mana and classes! So what if I want superpowers! God! I'm turning into one of those chuunibyou freaks!'

I don't look anyone in the eyes, feeling like I'm sitting only in my underwear before an audience.

"Mari: Anything is possible. We simply need to figure out how to do it. Perhaps it is more of an intuitive thing, or everyone is different in that aspect? I would hazard a guess that Mr Valentine gets a passive improvement to his cooking skills?"

I look up to see the chef standing close by. 'Oh, he was here. I didn't notice him come out of the kitchen.' He is giving me the stare of a hungry animal that can't figure out how to operate a food dispenser.

'What? You have cooking superpowers, be thankful for that.'

"Valentine: Yyess, I instinctively can tell what the ingredient is, how to process it, what to look out for… Small things that could be replaced with practice and experience."

'Kuhum, right, like I said, be thankful for it.' I avoid his hungry stare by reacting for another bite. I can almost image him breaking down in tears when we figure out how to access our newfound abilities and he has nothing to show off with.

'Hey! Don't make me feel bad for you! Fucking look around you and see how much everyone appreciates your skills.'

"Hana: I believe that such mastery of the culinary arts is beyond mere practice. There is definitely some awesome skill at work, enchanting your abilities."

I give the best smile I can, and he lets it go, heading back into the kitchen. 'Phew, should have checked around first.'

"Hana: Do we have any more plans for today? I want to practice running for the rest of the day if we don't."

"Mari: I guess not, we did get stuck gathering samples for too long. Anna, Kate do you all think that we should take a rest tomorrow and spend some time strategizing? We need to consider various scenarios concerning the new monsters, before jumping head first into more danger."

"Anna: I was going to suggest that too. It may turn into a disaster if we get surrounded without a plan of action."

"Kate: True, very true. We need time to iron out some general and specific approaches to this new challenge. I imagine our next push forward will be next weekend at the soonest. There is also the student council responsibility waiting for us us. Starting in 4-5 days, yes? Haaa, so much to do, so little time."

It would seem that everyone is in agreement. 'Righ. I completely forgot about that for a moment, too much excitement happening here.' We can take it easy until next weekend. Hunting the weak things on the first two floors for mana and resources is more of a chore than any danger for us now. 'Tch, the hell beasts will make my clothes all drenched in onion stench again. I think, I'll suggest that we take the long way from the main gate and not go too far up the mountain.'

I try to imagine our timetable for the coming weeks and don't see a favourable situation. There will be some unfamiliar work, taking over the USC. Working with Kate should lower our troubles a bit, compared to the original plan of working against her. 

'The fact remains, we won't have much free time and we do need to show our faces in the clubs and around different student groups. `Sigh. The year barely started and we are already pressed for every minute of our time. I already dread the coming piles of paperwork.'

-- -- --

Rapid As Wildfires | by Yu-peng Chen

On Sunday morning I start the day by doing some light exercises outside, together with other girls from our class and my fellow club members. A light breakfast later, I move to the gym, where I'm greeted by Meiko's fans and other athletically oriented students.

'I feel in top shape today. Hmm…have I felt like anything less since I leveled up? I seldom get down with anything, so its hard to say.' I don't stay for too long, just enough to keep me in shape and slowly build up my stamina. I'm not as focused on my strength as Meiko is.

I went to the track after a good workout and started a light run, while thinking about random things. 'I wonder, what will happen next year? Anna's group will graduate and move on with their lives… Will they move on? Away from this extraordinary thing? How will they convince their parents if they want to somehow stay here? What about us? Will we really be able to keep everything under wraps?'

It's not my style to feel uneasy about the future, but everything is so complicated and different from the norm that I feel the pressure of uncertainty slowly building up in me.

'Nope. Everything will be fine Hana. Focus on unlocking your abilities, that will be a more productive use of your time.'

I clear my mind and just get a feel for how my body moves. From the support of mother Earth to the tips of my swaying hair. I tune out everything else. Me and the track. I intimately know the track, the curves, the bumps, the colour of it, the feel of it, every step I need to make. I can run it with closed eyes and know my exact position.

'What about ME? Do I know everything about ME? Have I not changed? DO I not change with every second? What about the strange mana energy within me? Is it there?'

I meditate while running, trying to feel my whole being, the parts I know and anything I'm not familiar with. I know plenty about the human body from practicing karate. Mostly the surface level, but helpful nonetheless.

Having no other point of reference, I delve deeper into that train of thought. 'How do I move my body? What parts come into play? Can I improve anything?'

I run without pause and meditate, getting a feel for my innermost parts.

As I tire more and more, I can feel my muscles burn. 'More. Another 10 laps.'

I push and push myself again. Grabbing at any dregs of my remaining stamina, trying to tap into something beyond physical energy, beyond my strength of will, beyond adrenaline and the normal power that comes from life and death situations. I reach out for the ethereal, the magical, the unknown, the hopes and dreams of millions and billions of people… .

I stop, dry heaving, out of breath, barely keeping my heart and head from exploding. I don't know when, but some girls grab me and keep me from dropping dead on the track. They drag me to the side, before helping me down.

I can feel my body spasm and freeze while I try to recover my bearings. I'm too out of it and fail to respond to anyone for a few minutes.

Unexpectedly the nurse comes over and gives me a few drops of water while I continue laying there.

"Haruka: What stupid idea has made you run yourself to complete exhaustion? I had students come in and drag me out here, saying that someone has been running nonstop for hours and is about to collapse. At least respond when you are called out, don't behave like a mindless zombie!"

'How long has it been? Ugh I feel like shit on a midsummer day.'

"Meiko: Are you ok Hana? You were in such a deep state of meditation that I asked everyone around to not disturb you. Sorry if I did something useless."

"Haruka: Not only useless but dangerous too! You are the same kind of idiot to push yourself over the limit! You sport idiots all need a shot of some common sense!"

"Hana: Thanks … Meiko … I'm … Good."

I do feel like passing out, but that's not the point. 'I had it. I know I did. For a second, there was something.'

"Haruka: What should I expect out of you people? Haaa… Meiko, take Hana to my office. She will get hydration and rest. Doctors order! Now!"

Seeing as I'm not in the condition to start walking around, Meiko easily lifts me up and takes me to the nurse's office. I can barely contain my emotions and my madly beating heart.

"Hana: A couple more days and I'll figure it out." I whisper to Meiko before she leaves. I'm sure that my smile if infectious right now, because I see Meiko light up with a radiant smile too.

'Ha, ha, ha … Ok. I deserve a bit of rest, so I can try it again with a full tank tomorrow.'

I try to meditate again, to get ahold of that new feeling I barely scratched previously. `Sigh. 'It's not the same. It just doesn't click for me now that I'm prone on a bed. Eh, they say that the first step is the hardest. Yeah, I've done enough for one day.'

After coming down from my runner's high, I start yawning and decide to take a nap.

Unfortunately, I get a little bit of the "safety first" talk after waking up. Can't exactly argue with facts there, so I shut up and play the repentant girl.

Just to be 100% sure that I haven't damaged anything in my body with my reckless stunt, I go for a short dip in the healing hot spring water. A very quiet dinner, accompanied by classical music is an added bonus that I will keep to myself.

'Mmm this is the life… Should I train him to give massages? That would hit the spot nicely right now. Hmmm…tch, once again, there is little to no spare time for anything! There are videos that can teach the theory and a few practice lessons should get the quality up to standard. I'll buy some oils and other things online. Oh! We can all pool some money for a proper massage table!'

I barely spend any time alone with myself lately, a few hours before bed and that is it. Coming to the rooftop area was the right decision. I feel content with nature around me and the low BGM as I finish my meal and nurse a drink.

.. .. .. ..

"The wine isn't bad. I'm not a fancy connoisseur, but I'll give this 8/10."

'A wonderful day.'

POV Valentine

"Valentine: Thank you lady Hana."

"Hana: Mm, hm, make smaller circular motions, apply a bit more force and don't tickle me if you want your head in one piece."

"Valentine: As you wish lady Hana."

'If I were Quentin Tarantino, I'd be drooling all over the floor. IF this was a hentai situation, I WOULD be drooling all over the floor!'

Instead, I feel nothing as I massage Hana's feet and legs bellow the knees. There are no sexy moans, just the BGM and her sipping.

'Fucking wine! FY God's piss! Haaaaa, I think that my brain will evolve soon. The {I give a fuck} part will atrophy, and I will reach the Ultimate Zen or whatever. Haaa, fuck my life… .'

At least the wine turned out to be fine, maybe. I need more opinions on this, concoction out of random berries I can gather from the dungeon.

'Hopefully I come across some grapes soon and start making standard wine instead of this homemade punch.'

I don't stop my hands as I knead her legs up and down. Consoling myself with promises and delusions that this practice will come in handy sometime in the future. 'Heh… Handy.'

Another reason for my bad mood comes from her bragging. Saying shit like: For a second! I had mana figured out! A bit more! Just a day! I'LL have a super skill!

I'm too rational of a person to get into an argument with a drunk. The fact that she can snap my neck with one hand, or leg also helps to keep me nodding in agreement and my hands moving.

'Yeah, I'm officially out of fucks to give. Do Buddha monks get to feel this all the time? I saw videos of some monks not give a fuck after they set themselves on fire. Mm… I'm a long way from that level of fucks not given.'

I simply do my job of a ?? manservant? maybe? until someone comes by to take this woman home. 'Yes, just doing my job, I'm used to working. I put in the hours and then go home. Work-Home-Cook-Sleep … repeat.'

"fuck my life"

POV Chiyo

'Dad has been acting strange lately, or should it be stranger than usual?' He has been away very often the last month, coming back home late at night or going to work for days on end. Calling to apologize that he won't be home for a day or two.

That isn't too out of place for a business man. What is out of character is how worried he looks sometimes. 'I don't think I've ever seen him so nervous, so ill at ease about anything really.'

The strangest of all, is that he is not worried about business, but Mari. He keeps asking me to call sis sometimes with a really worried look, as if there was an emergency. Pleading that I ask if she is feeling alright.

I know that he calls her more often now and therefore known how she is doing. A few times he looked haunted, ready to fly out of the house guns blazing. I had to sit him down and call sis on the speaker, so that he could regain sanity and go to sleep.

'This is getting way, way, way out of hand! And the worst of it all! No one is telling me what is going on!!! Sis is as cool and collected as ever, and dad is not cracking on this matter. The stubborn old fool! Why am I the only one in the dark?!'

"Think Chiyo! Think! Is there anyone who isn't tight lipped and has some info? Meiko definitely has info but is too devoted to say anything out of place. Her new friends? Hmm..hmm they all looked strong willed like sis… Hmmm… Oh!!!! The nurse! She was a complete normie! And sis definitely made her shut up when she started talking about something secret! She must know SOMETHING!"

'Great work! Now! How do I get to the nurse?' I don't think that I can just casually walk in and go to where I want. If I sneak in, it may bring trouble to sis. I think that relatives are free to visit, but I need some one on one with the nurse and not sis.

'Can I visit sis first, then say that I'm going and sneak out to the nurse? Unlikely, but not impossible.' I check the academy calendar.

"Sis will become the president of the USC on the 14th. THERE! The 18th! Open day and parents meeting! I can make it work! And if it fails, I can confront the two of them face to face at the same time! I'm sure dad will crack if I pressure him and sis at the same time."

This is the universal constant for a little sister, to get her nose deep into her big sister's business. 'They better be prepared to spill the beans, because I'm not going down without some answers.'

I will call during the week and try asking again. I'm sure dad will try getting her some kind of congratulatory gift. Better make sure it's something she would like, or find useful. 'I doubt he will know what to look for. Hmm... We can make it a shared present.'

4