Chapter 29 A calm week.
141 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Raven (Christopher Lee)

POV Valentine

"The women are finally leaving me alone, for a week. Most off this week anyway."

I was never into being active during my college and university days. Mostly hanging out with friends and studying, none of that student union, or as they call it here, student council business.

"Who the fuck has the energy and time to deal with extra crap during the week? Crazy people! Not like it's much fun anyway. If the incentive was more tangible than: you will learn new things, you will get to experience…bla..bla..bla. Some people have to go to work after lectures! Ha! Rich girls don't have to worry about rent, or food expenses, or saving up for something."

'Haaa… I talk to myself too often lately. Haaa.. I need a distraction from life. Heh, heh, reminds me of some bad days at work. Should I try drinking myself under the table?'

I taste the wines I have in the making. They are a bit … clinging to the mouth? `Sigh. Too bad I have no idea how good wine is supposed to taste. I'm better at judging stronger spirits.

"Yeah. Can't do much with you on my own for now. I'll fucking pray to you if you can turn into a magic distillery when I manage to get enough points for the next upgrade. Haa, just turn this juice into something sellable."

My new, little apparatus looks like 3 high-tech barrels with sections inside. I just need to process the ingredients and load it all in. The mana does something to it than cuts down the normal waiting time from a year to a week. Much easier than in real life.

'It was a fun summer hobby, wasn't it? I didn't have proper equipment for pressing the berry juices out, and I did end up always giving most of the product away to friends and family. It was fun regardless, and I had enough left to use in cooking for the next year.'

"Should I really try using the healing water? I know I said I would try making game type potions, but will I really waste the precious Mp? Making real life, wine flavoured, fucking potions? WTF is my life coming to? Haah, whatever, I need to test these berries more. Google doesn't give me answers on how to use real-life dungeon berries, FY Google."

There are also weapons and gear maintenance left for me to do. The easiest is the pickaxe, I use mana to summon a new one and it's done! The rest aren't so easy, and Risa is being a pain in the ass with quality control. 'I'm a noob at this! I sharpen knives, not katanas!'

The gear is easier, I've had a year of practice, cleaning filthy military gear in the army. "How can I think of that time fondly now? The crawling around swamps? The waist high ditches that suck you in and require two men to get you out? The cold tents, WHEN we had tents! The NATO food packs, blah! Hated the oatmeal cans!"

'I'm talking to myself again… . Haa, back to work, better get some music going or I'll start talking again.'

I do just that, turn up some music and get to work. "Hu, huu, hu, ho." I humm while getting the chores done. I want to get a batch of chocolate pudding done after this. The girls complained that I didn't have anything with chocolate, so I told them to bring me the ingredients if they want chocolate in my menu. That worked out for all of us. I got some missing ingredients, they got some food they want.

'Should I go in solo for some more Mp farming? Actually… what's my total right now?'

I haven't checked the totals in a while, to not disappoint myself. All the testings and portal use add up to a crap ton of mana. I fear to see my reserves being shown in triple digits.

 -- --  -- --  -- --  -- --  -- -- 

HQ Statistics

Totals: Mp 1210 Ep 32

Owner - Valentine [human Lv 1, Artisan Lv 5]

Active functions:

Surface camouflage -15

Dimensional gate -55

Utilities upkeep -25

Mana gathering array +200

 -- --  -- --  -- --  -- --  -- -- 

I glance at the cost of the next system upgrade: 300 Ep. 'Fuck'

"The costs are going up every day. The additional gate and utilities are adding up to a lot. Will I even be able to afford the fields anytime soon? At least show an estimate cost for things before they are activated!"

There is a marked improvement to the accumulation speed with having so many people bring in the mana, but I'm almost sure we could have reached the 2k mark if not for all their endless testing.

"It's fucking magic! What the fuck can you understand from running tests on it?! Not like anyone can make the same healing water from scratch. No matter how many samples you take!"

The biggest waste of resources was because of me… on several near death occasions, so I can't complain either. "Medical bills are a nightmare in any situation, regardless of magic or godly power."

You know what! I'm taking this chance to go and hit some monsters until I feel better. Not touching the third floor for now, it's too much for a weak solo player.

"Hey! Bird brain! Come here you little shit!"

"CAW!!CAW"

"Love you too buddy. Now! Listen up you freeloader! We are going hunting! Understand? Hunting! Killing! Food!"

"Caw, CAW, CAWW!!"

"Mh, fuck you. Here is the deal. There are dozens of jumping hell cats that I need you to hit hard, so that they fall to the ground. Don't give me that attitude! You fat chicken! I said it was a deal, meaning that you will get paid!"

"..CAW? CAWCAW."

"Yeah, whatever you want. You can show off to some ladies. Not like you are any good looking, so at least be rich enough to give plenty of gifts."

"CAWW! CAAW CAW!"

"Your fat ass will soon be mistaken for a turkey! Of course you are not popular! Get some exercise! Get ready, we will go in 20 minutes."

I am confident that this is my language cheat at play and not me going insane. 'I'm not mental! People talk to pets all the time. Mari can talk with the crows even without any cheats! She is just too cautious to let the birds do some actual work. Huh. Must be because of the rat experiments, seeing an animal disintegrate isn't pretty. A few hours in there will leave a large safety margin, it will be fine.'

We don't even have to travel far. Simply out of the secondary portal and we can start our hunt.

I think that the bird is recognized as equipment when I carry it in my hands, because it couldn't fly in on its own.

"You see those? Yes, those things. Look for the moment when they are airborne in between jumps. Get a bit of weight behind your hit, and they should miss their intended landing. I'll do the rest."

"caw, caw,…caw."

"Mm, take your time, get a better feel on the prey. We need around 35 of them to fill up two mana batteries. That is the workload to get paid. Should take us an hour of actual work, if you aren't too chicken!"

"CAWCAWCAW caw, caw."

The black feathered chicken isn't too good of a hunter. A falcon could tear those things apart on its own, but this bird is having trouble just knocking them down.

"Look more closely! See! There's a whole second for you to strike. Do divebombing! Straight down! That way you won't have to worry about hitting the rocks."

It needs practice, but the work is slowly getting done. I got a dozen hits using rocks while the bird was resting. It's not the fastest or the most fun way to get Mp, as I prefer the tomato and carrot monsters. This is more relaxing, almost like fishing at a stinky pond. Having a set of eyes in the sky helps in finding groups of onyans faster and I don't have to walk around the whole mountain in search for monsters.

"CAw, Caw, ccaw."

"That's what you get for taking your time! Should have let me finish the onyan. Now we both will smell like onions for hours! I don't have bird shampoo. You'll get what I use for myself."

'Hm! Entitled cock! Mari is spoiling these birds rotten! They should all be put to work!'

In the end, it did take us around two hours to finish up the second battery. A bird bath and a full plate of food are a small price to pay for the help. I like this simple deal, food for work, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't feel like I've exerted myself much in the dungeon, so I supplement it with weight lifting and weapons training. It's been a long time since I've had a normal day like this, I've missed the peace and quiet.

The fact that the crow has absorbed one of the onyans as exp has been completely deleted, erased, corrupted, file gone missing and never even happened! It just didn't. None. Nope. Nada. Just a fragment of a nightmare remembered for a second and then gone back to oblivion.

"I deserve a pudding. Yes. Sweet, sweet, chocolate pudding. I mean, I pulled 200Mp in two hours! That's worth at least two puddings! Ha,ha,ha,ha! And a movie too! Yup a movie night with junk food! That's the plan for today!"

Some fresh chips, homemade KFC and pudding. How can life be any better? I live like a KING today!

'When I get the wine to a better quality, I'll trade it for a game console. Unlocking the game room will probably take half a year at this rate. It will definitely contain only some old-fashioned tabletop games or an actual room to play indoor sports. Useless for me either way. I want some mindless RuneScape grind or Counter Strike action!'

The phone screen is a bit small for a pleasant movie night, but it will do better than nothing at all.

-- -- -- --

The following days pass in comfortable inactivity, as I return to my preferred routine of the first days after my arrival here. Sometimes some of the girls drop by for exercise of lunch, not much of a bother to me. Employing the help of a couple more fierce ravens, helps me in getting 2 batteries filled in short order.

"Huh. Now, there are not enough monsters to go around, and the hours of walking up and down the mountain in search for smaller groups of onyans isn't productive. Eh, hassle free 200 Mp a day is already a great boon!"

I am more than happy to feed the birds now, mostly because they eat proportionally less than the women, and they even earn me more! 'I should have done this long ago. If I dial down the useless experiments that everyone wants to have a go at, I can unlock something by the end of the month and also have emergency reserves!'

Sure, the utility cost will go up again, but! Something can turn out to be useful! Who knows what kind of equipment a bigger kitchen could have in it. The field is almost promised to be run on magic, it being underground and all that.

'If the gardening will be as easy as wine making, I don't mind devoting some time to that.'

"Caw,caw,caw"

"Hey! You aren't pigeons swarming bread crumbs! Show some manners!" I shake my head at their antics. Alone they behave, in a group they turn into animals.

"I'm not the crazy cat lady. I'm a normal bird man…Falconer! But for crows. Crow…er? Crowmancer? Blah! Does not matter. ITADAKIMASU!!"

"CawCawCaw!"

POV Meiko

The students show great support for Lady Mari, and I feel proud to be a part of the reason for that. I've made sure to present our group in the best way that I could. Even if we are secured in our position and have close ties with Kate, it won't hurt to have a better image and be trusted by the students and staff.

An opportunity, a test, was soon brought to our attention.

"Mari: To cut the explanation short. A pair of lowlifes are bothering some commuting students. Since it is happening outside of academy grounds, it forces the academy to stay on the sideline, for the moment. As you might imagine, if something more upfront happens, they would be turned into fish bait. Our mission is twofold, protect the students and take out the trash, so that it doesn't bother anyone else."

"Hana: They must be brain-dead to mess with Hachimitsu Academy students. Clueless idiots, is another option."

I have to agree with Hana, if you count all the prominent families involved with the academy throughout its history, it's the same as declaring war on half of Japan, if you account for international organizations, it's even worse.

'The idiots must not have half a brain between them. We better educate them before their families are made to suffer for their stupidity.'

"Meiko: Are we heading out today?"

"Mari: Yes, it's better to get this done sooner than later. I've been told the general location of their activities. Before we head out, I suggest that we put on some civilian clothes. We haven't had many opportunities to go out wearing the things we bought together with Hana, and we will stand out less."

"Hana: Agreed, I don't want to get my uniform dirty."

"Meiko: As you say, Hana, it would be a shame."

"Mari: Alright, go get ready and we will start heading out to our destination. If we finish quickly, we can do some shopping on our way back. No need to waste time with nothing to show for it."

'True. We haven't spent all that much time going out to the city. Well now, this day could turn out to be quite pleasant in the end!'

Hana helped me choose a nice outfit. The material is quite elastic, allowing for comfortable movement and keeping everything in place. I usually wear something less restrictive but the quality definitely makes up for it. "She must be using similar type of clothing for karate practice, that's why she recommended us to that designer."

The coming weeks are likely to be the most turbulent, and we will have little time for ourselves, best we enjoy this outing to the fullest.

Lady Mari has a fierce look, with black pants and shirt. Even with only a light touch of makeup, she is radiant. 'It looks gorgeous with her long black hair. Should I try matching my outfit to my hair too? Hmm, I'll ask Hana for advice.'

The situation being what it is doesn't dissuade us from having a fun stroll around Tokyo. Of course, as we get close to our destination, we cut the conversation and start observing our surroundings.

I almost burst into laughter upon seeing our targets! 'Posers! Skinny arms, loose pants, piercing! Neither of them probably ever lifted anything heavier than a book in their lives! Little puppies bothering an elephant because it doesn't even notice them! Gods! I imagine them boasting to everyone that they managed to hit on girls from our academy!'

The situation is so comical I can't find it in me to feel anything but pity. Fortunately for me, the idiots hang around an out of sight alley. "Meiko: Lady Mari! Please let me educate those things. They are not worth your time."

Lady Mari takes a closer look at them and gives me the go ahead. 'Now then. For wasting our precious time and glancing at Lady Mari, I should make this a memorable last meeting.'

As I walk up to them, all the attention is centered on me. I can see them trying to decide who will take the responsibility of talking to me first, but I don't care one bit. I have a job to do and a walk around the city to enjoy.

I don't slow down, I walk confidently fast and reach out my hands. Judging by the bulging eyes that stare at me in panic, they never expected to be lifted and carried by their throats. Without pause I take a few steps farther in, completely out of eye sight of the pedestrians, before slamming the sacks of meat again the wall.

I don't loosen my hold to their struggles and squeeze a bit more, letting them know what to expect from useless flailing around.

When they stop their squirming, I let them take half a breath, bring them closer to my face and whisper into their ears.

"Meiko: Let me tell you a fun fact. There exists a mountain that is outside of anyone's jurisdiction. With plenty of wildlife of all shapes and sizes. I know of a brave man, who was sent there to fight for his life. After winning one fight, he was reduced to a limbless ragdoll, with barely a drop of blood left. He had the willpower to crawl halfway down the mountain, before the blood loss and shock took him… Now. One of three things will happen, depending on your actions. One: I will be thanked that the female students aren't bothered anymore by anyone. Two: I will be asked to come back and squeeze a little bit harder. Three: You will be invited on a one-way trip, and, just as you have done. Your will NOT be asked for your consent."

I carefully toss them aside and walk away, fighting back my feelings of disgust.

"Hana: Ewwww! They soiled themselves! Thhffa!"

"Meiko: Uhg, it feels like I've touched vermin with my bare hands."

"Mari: Good work. Here. Some hand sanitizer and wet tissues. I do see the likeness, with all that wiggling. I believe that there is a dance move called the worm, hopefully it doesn't look so grotesque."

"Meiko: Apologies for making you watch something so pathetic! I believe that they won't be seen in this part of the city, and those around will understand the consequences of trying anything with our fellow students."

"Hana: The spineless things won't dare to look at our girls without groveling the next second! I bet that Valentine would have given you a death glare instead of this pathetic show!"

'It would… happen. Yes, I can see that outcome … I'm not sure if his defiance would come from the right place, though.'

A person with nothing to lose, not even their own life, can be brave. But in the end, it's simply hollow bravery, supported by weakness and recklessness.

"Meiko: Shall we go get some shopping done? We still have plenty of time to spend on ourselves."

6